Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was thinking selling my XE2s and XT1 and get a XT3. Does Fuji's make a small body that has the same video blogging performance of the XT3? Hasn't read any mirrorless news in a while.

The X-E4 has a smaller body, a rear screen that flips up 180 degrees, and the same sensor as the X-T3/4. Might have some limitation in 4K, in features or in recording time.

H13 posted:

Anyways, I'm not a photography expert. I know what I want from shutter speed\aperture settings and that's about it. Are there any cool things I should know about Fuji cameras that aren't immediately obvious to people who aren't camera nerds?

You should play around with the Film Simulations inside the camera - either by playing with the RAW files, or using the simulations for JPEGs. They’re a really good way to adjust things and making them still look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So XS line is yet another midrange body line from Fuji? Kind of weird that they reuse the name from their bridge cameras. I have to literally make a spreadsheet to figure out the difference between XS10, XE4 and XT30...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

So XS line is yet another midrange body line from Fuji? Kind of weird that they reuse the name from their bridge cameras. I have to literally make a spreadsheet to figure out the difference between XS10, XE4 and XT30...

Yep, the X-S10 is another below the X-T3/4:

• X-T3/X-T4 - Top tier cameras with a center-mounted viewfinder (X-T4 has IBIS and maybe better video-dedicated features)
  • X-S10 -- the one that DSLR users can understand immediately (big grip and PASM controls), also has IBIS
  • X-T30 - Baby versions of X-T3, smaller size and slightly less capable for action/recording, no IBIS
  • X-E4 - Baby rangefinder-styled version of X-T3, no IBIS

the X-S10 vs. X-T30 is IBIS and PASM controls vs. "traditional" Fuji controls and no IBIS, and X-E4 is the one that looks like a baby X-Pro.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is there a way to tell the fujis that have IBIS to use IBIS when the IS switch on the lens is set to off? I wanted to see if IBIS is better than the optical stabilization on my lens but fuji won’t let me.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

harperdc posted:

the X-S10 vs. X-T30 is IBIS and PASM controls vs. "traditional" Fuji controls and no IBIS, and X-E4 is the one that looks like a baby X-Pro.

Arh so XS10 is Fuji making a Canon body? And ZFC is Nikon making a Fuji body.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Dr Strangepants posted:

Does anyone have strong opinions on the Fujifilm X-S10? I'm looking for a good general use camera for landscapes, portraits, and taking neat photos as I frequently travel around. I was originally going with the Fujifilm X-T30 but the in-camera image stabilization on the S10 seems nice and it also seems a little more modern and easier to use for an amateur. They are both similar in price.

I bought a X-s10 a few months back. Shopped it against a xe4 and xt3. In the end the improved AF and IBIS let it beat out the Xt3 and it seems to have more programmable buttons compared to the xe4 while almost being the same size.

It's also the most comfortable to hold of the three, the deep grip is great.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dren posted:

Is there a way to tell the fujis that have IBIS to use IBIS when the IS switch on the lens is set to off? I wanted to see if IBIS is better than the optical stabilization on my lens but fuji won’t let me.

you get more stops of stabilization with an IS lens, and it depends on which lens you're using as well. their marketing materials even say "you only maximize IBIS with an IS lens" for what it's worth.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah, Fuji will combine lens OIS and IBIS if both are present. IBIS is 5-axis while lens OIS is typically 3-axis (though at least the 80mm macro actually has 4-axis in the lens). Originally when both IBIS and OIS were present, it would just use 2 axes from the lens and 3 from the body, but at some point during the X-H1 era they came out with an update that supposedly fully combines all lens/body stabilization axes to perform even better.

Now if the question was instead just whether Fuji lens OIS or IBIS alone provides the bigger benefit for solely for curiosities sake (as opposed to trying to maximize performance), I'm not sure if running just IBIS when the lens also has OIS is possible.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I bought a X-s10 a few months back. Shopped it against a xe4 and xt3. In the end the improved AF and IBIS let it beat out the Xt3 and it seems to have more programmable buttons compared to the xe4 while almost being the same size.

It's also the most comfortable to hold of the three, the deep grip is great.

Good to hear! Thanks, and thanks to all the others who commented.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
My trusty Oly E-M10 mk.I bit the dust a couple days ago, the night before my daughter was born. Basically every camera out there is 'better' than my 6-year-old entry level, but is there a current sweet spot, new or used, for a cam for a guy who just wants to use the m43 lenses he has to take photos with something somewhat better than his phone?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You want to get a camera with good video AF to take video of your baby. Other than that I am not familiar with m43.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
There are a pretty wide range of bodies to pick, especially if your willing to buy used. Olympus e-m5 iii is pretty much an e-m1 ii in a different body, both similarly priced used. Or e-m10 iv which is 20mp too.

Similar to the e-m1 series, you have the Panasonic g9, bigger but capable. Panasonic also offers cheaper dslr style bodies, g95 (or g85, which is 16mp), or rangefinder bodies gx9 (newest, but midrange)/gx8 (older, higher range)/gx85 (cheaper alternative to the g8, 16mp).

You can keep going back for older models, maybe being double the price used isn't worth the added features for you. Besides the g85, gx85, there is the olympus e-m5 ii, e-m10 ii (I think the e-m10 iii is very similar, and a friendly interface targeting a more beginner crowd).

A lot of what I shoot is my daughter and I would say you don't need to spend extra for the best auto focus performance, they are your kids and you have lots of chances to get the shot.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I agree with the above post. Personally, I bought an E-M5 III to replace my E-M10 mk1 and it is really sweet. It has the smaller size of the EM10 with a lot of new features like weather sealing, high res mode, fully articulated screen, larger sensor etc. I did a lot of research while upgrading and that just seemed like the natural progression up from the E-M10 since I had the former for so long.

Used or refurb E-M 1 ii is the other one I almost went for, but a smaller body was very important to me, being the main reason I went for M43 to begin with. I am really happy with the E-M5 III. My use is mostly family vacation photos, travel snapshots and photo references for my physical art.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to post! I feel like I can really relate to the 'progression' HungryMedusa posted about--I'm kind of bouncing between the E-M5 III and the E-M10 IV, though probably on the used market, which seems more limited for those two models. Weather sealing would be awesome for my 12-40 pro, and I'm not a huge fan of the E-M10 IV's flip-down LCD, so I'm leaning toward the M5, but we'll have to see what pops up online.

Any recommendation for used gear sites in addition to Keh, B&H, Adorama, and MPB, would be much appreciated as well!

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 15, 2021

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Sometimes a refurb will show up on Amazon warehouse, that’s the only other place I can think of. I looked for used for a while before going new because used bodies were only $50-75 off when I was looking around The beginning of the year.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
That's about what I'm seeing, too, outside eBay. Pulled the trigger for a new one at Adorama, which is the same price as everywhere else but bundles the Rokinon 16mm cine lens for free. Thanks for the advice!

e: whoop, never mind, a 'like new' just showed up on mpb for $200 less so I'm getting that instead.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 15, 2021

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Nice! Enjoy - I really love mine.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Swappa does cameras too, but there’s hardly ever any on there.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just a little random rambling. Over the weekend I sold 7 things on eBay. Been trying minimize my gadgets and camera gears.

I have come to realized even if I sell the old gears for a big lost is still better because somebody else can make use of the remaining lives of the gears rather than me sitting on them and have very little use of them.

Already sold my gopro, GoPro session, insta360 go and have a go2 ordered. I will consolidate to just 1 sports camera. Is there a sports camera thread btw?

Sold my mint XE2s for 330. I checked Adorama and found out I paid 350 for it back in 2018. This must be my least depreciated body. I made money on the GoPro session too, thanks to the fpv folks gabbling up the camera. Also I am going to sell my xf14 and the tele zoom. I love the xf14 and was one of earliest adopter. But between the 14 and the 16/1.4, I just use the 16 way more than the 14. I am going try to sell the x100s with a broken EVF, and then I will swap the XT1 for the XS10. x100 is the kind of camera I am in love with the idea but my particular photography style doesn't fit.

Once I upgrade to the xs10, I will have a body, a 16mm, 56mm and a kit zoom, and that's all I need.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We don't have a sports cam thread. I think mirrorless would be the closest but there might also be some people who wanna chat about them in general or the sports thread.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You guys remember Panasonic used to make high end point-and-shoot zoom cameras, with Leica lens branding; and Leica will sell their own version for $300 more Leica tax?

Now Leica is back with their version of Sharp 1-inch phone, completed with lens cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCgfjkdDng

If IRRC those Panasonic zooms were before the Sony RX100, so none of them even had a 1-inch sensor. Can't wait for the Leica 1 inch sport camera, which is a rebrand of Gopro 15 Black.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

You guys remember Panasonic used to make high end point-and-shoot zoom cameras, with Leica lens branding; and Leica will sell their own version for $300 more Leica tax?

Now Leica is back with their version of Sharp 1-inch phone, completed with lens cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCgfjkdDng

If IRRC those Panasonic zooms were before the Sony RX100, so none of them even had a 1-inch sensor. Can't wait for the Leica 1 inch sport camera, which is a rebrand of Gopro 15 Black.

You recall incorrectly.

The LX100 in particular had an M4/3 sensor. The FZ1000 also had a 1" sensor!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was thinking off the old Panasonic lx7/lx3 and their Leica twins.

Now that you mention it I searched and found out Leica is still making new point and shoot for sale in 2021. I had no idea. I thought everybody stop making p&s besides RX100.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Leica had the x1, an apsc sensor 35mm equivalent fixed focal length compact a year before the Fuji x100.

I think some other compacts that weren't rebrands too? Definitely the q series, if you can call that a compact lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
X1 was a real Leica camera, not a Panasonic camera with a different firmware.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was thinking off the old Panasonic lx7/lx3 and their Leica twins.

Now that you mention it I searched and found out Leica is still making new point and shoot for sale in 2021. I had no idea. I thought everybody stop making p&s besides RX100.

When you realise their biggest fanbase is cashed up boomers it starts to make more sense.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

All the good remaining point and shoot cameras have rabid fanbases like the Fuji X100 or Ricoh GR. They also tend to cost around a thousand dollars which sucks since I’d totally buy a GR 3 for about 40% off but I haven’t seen refurbs in months.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I got my gr iii that way, but sold it to mpb when it started to develop dust issues after a couple of months. I disassembled and cleaned my gr ii myself, but with ibis the gr iii would have been a nightmare so I didn't even try.

My favorite part of the iii over the ii is the new lens, I like the rendering better, but the old one was still great. None of the other improvements wowed me, so if you've never owned one maybe just get the ii?

Speaking of which, do manufacturers of compacts cheat and bake sharpening into the raw like some do noise reduction? (And vignetting correction in the first apsc gr, I think?)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I like my coolpix A a lot. Image quality is intense and the menu options are great. The button layout sucks and it is entirely ignored by nikon.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Just picked up a Fuji X-S10, and I am not disappoint.

It takes a bit of getting used to coming from a Canon 500D but the SLR-style grip and PASM dial are nice touches. Obviously the camera itself is light-years ahead in terms of the sensor and the IBIS is very impressive.

I got it with the 16-80 f/4 which is a nice upgrade in terms of sharpness compared to the 15-85 f/3.5‑5.6 I was using before. The compromise is losing 5mm on the long end but I still think it's worth it.

The only downside so far is trying to figure out the myriad settings and options, but having the custom slots on the PASM dial means I can quickly flick between setups once I know what I want.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 25, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

rolleyes posted:

Just picked up a Fuji X-S10, and I am not disappoint.

It takes a bit of getting used to coming from a Canon 500D but the SLR-style grip and PASM dial are nice touches. Obviously the camera itself is light-years ahead in terms of the sensor and the IBIS is very impressive.

I got it with the 16-80 f/4 which is a nice upgrade in terms of sharpness compared to the 15-85 f/3.5‑5.6 I was using before. The compromise is losing 5mm on the long end but I still think it's worth it.

The only downside so far is trying to figure out the myriad settings and options, but having the custom slots on the PASM dial means I can quickly flick between setups once I know what I want.

It’s a nice camera that seems to get overlooked between the xt series and the range finders. At least based on the number of YouTube videos for each camera.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hello fellow youths camera using goons, I've had a NEX-6 since they came out and like to dabble in taking photos, but I've really only gotten more than basic kit lenses and the early budget Sigma twin set since I've gotten a good steady paycheque in the last couple of years.

Yesterday I combined two of my too many hobbies and 3D printed a tilt-shift adaptor for my Helios lens, and I think it turned out pretty good in the test shots out front of my house that I can't leave this weekend due to statewide Covid lockdown:

I also have a question: I'd been eyeing off using a bit of my tax return this year on the Viltrox 85mm II f1.8 AF, but now I'm torn between that and the Samyang 75mm f1.8 AF which I can get for 20% off and only $40 more - is either the right choice, or is the correct answer I don't need that focal length and save the cash?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 26, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I can't answer your question there but that tilt shift adapter is rad

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
My apologies if this ought to be asked elsewhere, but here's a question I'd be happy for advice on. My (nonprofit) workplace has come across some grant money that can be put towards camera/video/streaming equipment, and I'm the person who gets final say on it. I'm currently getting everything done with my trusty old GH4, but we are really running up against some technical limitations and I'm less and less happy with the video quality for our filmed and streamed events (mostly lectures and readings). I'm looking at the scope of what is available, and I think my needs list is as follows: Good stills, decent low light, no recording limit on video, clean HDMI out for streaming through a Blackmagic ATEM mini. I've been happy with micro 4/3 so far, and have been looking at the GH5, GH5ii, and also Panasonic's full frame offerings, but I have no experience with Canon, Nikon, Fuji, or Sony stuff anytime recently. Is there a compelling reason to look at their newer mirrorless bodies for hybrid work? Is there anyone else I'm overlooking? I think our budget is well under cinema camera territory, and having a good hybrid around for stills work is a very compelling thing to me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want stills and video and no record limit Panasonic is probably your best bet unless you record externally. Been very happy with my S1H for hybrid work if your budget could swing that.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah an A7SIII could probably do what you want too but why gently caress around when you’re already doing decent with Panasonic?

Maybe a GH5S would be a better choice over a GH5 if you’re working with bad/low/fluorescent light in lecture halls? I don’t know but could be worth looking into. It’s lower MP so if you’re actually printing your stills poster-size it wouldn’t be a great fit however. Any of the FF Panasonics are going to be much better stills cameras than any of the 4/3 video-centric cameras from that brand.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

powderific posted:

If you want stills and video and no record limit Panasonic is probably your best bet unless you record externally. Been very happy with my S1H for hybrid work if your budget could swing that.

What does your lens lineup look like? I'd bet the 25-104 would probably be all we really need (maybe whatever the fast 50 du jour is or I've got a ton of old MF glass that could be adapted in a pinch). Im thinking if we keep the camera cost down then we can swing a little better audio and lighting gear, but boy I love that I can flip the screen on my gh4 around any which way, Id be happier to have that than any of the higher res/bit rate options.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It’s lower MP so if you’re actually printing your stills poster-size it wouldn’t be a great fit however. Any of the FF Panasonics are going to be much better stills cameras than any of the 4/3 video-centric cameras from that brand.

Yeah, we had a group bring in a videographer who was running a couple of the S model, and the video looked great in a room with absolute dogshit lighting, but having the higher quality stills for some of the archival and reproduction stuff we do would be hugely helpful. Being able to crop in farther means more flexibility after the fact for adding text for marketing materials etc too. I think i'm leaning towards the S1 now, especially considering that a new GH5ii and a used S1 are about the same price.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the 24-105 and it’s a handy lens; rest of my kit are f mount zeiss primes which I love but probably don’t make sense for your situation.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I know these posts are annoying but I'm making it anyway. I want to buy a half decent, fairly compact camera for an upcoming trip to Yukon. I'm a beginner photographer and will likely stay a beginner. I was reading the Formula 1 thread and they were talking about cameras and the Sony A6000+16-50 lens kit came up as the thing to buy and just not worry about it. This thread title is making me question that. Still a good buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The a6000 is somewhat older now and quite cheap. You can buy a new one with that lens for $600.

It’s a good sensor inside a kinda decent camera and a fairly crappy (but not unusable) lens.

The question is, can you do better for the price (or at least let’s say no more than $800)?

Not with Fuji if you’re buying new. You’ll find Fuji has better camera controls and their 18-55mm basic lens is much better, but you’d have to buy used. A used X-T20 with 18-55 is doable for about $700, I think, based on a cursory google. It’s good sensor good camera good lens.

The LUMIX G95 is available new with its 12-60mm kit lens for around $700 also. It’s about as good a sensor as the a6000 (albeit smaller, with a different, less wide and more squarish aspect ratio… a 4/3rds sensor). I’d say that’s decent sensor, good camera (has in-body stabilization which is great for stopping camera shake and getting you sharper pics), good lens (goes as wide as the Sony but zooms in quite a bit farther).

You could also just get the a6000 and invest in a better lens, but for a better starter zoom I honestly don’t know what that would be with Sony e mount. Lack of good lenses and lack of good controls are the big problems with running an a6000. But it makes pretty pictures with that nice sensor. It was a major technical achievement when it came out all those years ago, and is still competitive with the other cameras I mentioned.