Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

alcharagia posted:

You can't mention that and not mention Limit Break.

Is this the song that plays during that giant flan fight? Or is that another weird "thrash" song?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

But the QTEs aren't like "you fail, do the whole thing over"

The first qte you do if you do them right, it takes a ton of damage off the boss. But the game itself is so easy it doesn't matter if you hit them or not.

Their total lack of importance and poor, half-forgotten implementation are emblematic of the game's problems on a whole, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

These were both dogshit in a way that's almost inexplicable in this day and age. Noel's voice acting is the worst in the game (yes! Worse than Mog's! Worse than Mog's!) - not embarrassingly bad like Vanille's in FFXIII, but he never, ever deviates from the same vaguely petulant tone of voice no matter what's happening around him. Even Serah managed to emote despite having no personality to speak of; how can some guy who was the last living human on the planet express this fact in a way that makes it sound like his mom forced him to clean up his room?

700 AF was the worst stage I've gone through yet, even worse than the Ci'eth mobs, because it's nothing but walking about and hearing Noel whine for thirty minutes, half of it in those wretched, tedious voice-overs.

I didn't think there was anything too bad about Noel's voice acting, but Yuuel was loving insufferable. The real problem was that the characters were extremely one-note, and almost never deviated from their single aspect of personality. At least in XIII, there was some conflict between characters, and they would change slightly over the course of the game, poorly written as their personalities and dialogue were.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yuel is the stupidest character. The reveal of her story in LR is up there for the stupidest moments in the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't understand the love for Noel. He's one of the blandest nobodies I've seen in recent memory.

Caius and Yuel are the same, though no one actually gives a poo poo about Yuel to be fair.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

I don't understand the love for Noel. He's one of the blandest nobodies I've seen in recent memory.

Same here. I don't hate the guy, and he's inoffensive as characters go and even occasionally a little funny, but ultimately I just can't come up with a good answer for why he even exists. Moreover, why he is ostensibly the player character in 13-2? As much as Serah is the worst character in the history of the entire series, it should at least have been her game (well, it really should have been Lightning's, but eh) and not some random bland dude from out of nowhere. Did he come about as a response to whines from True FF Fans about how there has to be a male player character who has to look as generic as possible or something? He's not awful, there's just flat out no reason for him.

Edit: ^^^^ Don't you dare besmirch Caius, though. And Yeul at least has the decency to set up the best, most hilarious ending in FF. Noel is just a guy with brown hair and weird pants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Did he come about as a response to whines from True FF Fans about how there has to be a male player character who has to look as generic as possible or something? He's not awful, there's just flat out no reason for him.

This may actually be it. Part of the Amazon.jp complaining when FFXIII came out was a lot (for internet usages of "a lot") of people complaining about having to play as a female lead who wasn't one of those moe fanservice blobs.

Which, depressingly, might explain FFXIII-3 in ways beyond just Toriyama's Got A Fetish.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

chumbler posted:

Same here. I don't hate the guy, and he's inoffensive as characters go and even occasionally a little funny, but ultimately I just can't come up with a good answer for why he even exists. Moreover, why he is ostensibly the player character in 13-2? As much as Serah is the worst character in the history of the entire series, it should at least have been her game (well, it really should have been Lightning's, but eh) and not some random bland dude from out of nowhere. Did he come about as a response to whines from True FF Fans about how there has to be a male player character who has to look as generic as possible or something? He's not awful, there's just flat out no reason for him.

Edit: ^^^^ Don't you dare besmirch Caius, though. And Yeul at least has the decency to set up the best, most hilarious ending in FF. Noel is just a guy with brown hair and weird pants.

Serah is definitely the main character of the game. After the opening chapter, you only leave her perspective for a solid 30 seconds in the middle of the game.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Systematic System posted:

Serah is definitely the main character of the game. After the opening chapter, you only leave her perspective for a solid 30 seconds in the middle of the game.

And also at the end...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

MrAristocrates posted:

Caius and Yuel are the same, though no one actually gives a poo poo about Yuel to be fair.

I care about Yuel! I HAVE KNOWN THEM ALL. A YUEL WHO LIKED TO MAKE lovely FANFICTION! A YUEL WHO LOVED TO TALK TO RETARDED SQUIRRELS! A YUEL WHO LISTENED TO SOME WEIRD rear end THRASH MUSIC ABOUT GIANT FLANS, RIDING CHOCOBO'S, AND THE TIME/SPACE CONTINUUM! They have all died right before my very eyes!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

I care about Yuel! I HAVE KNOWN THEM ALL. A YUEL WHO LIKED TO MAKE lovely FANFICTION! A YUEL WHO LOVED TO TALK TO RETARDED SQUIRRELS! A YUEL WHO LISTENED TO SOME WEIRD rear end THRASH MUSIC ABOUT GIANT FLANS, RIDING CHOCOBO'S, AND THE TIME/SPACE CONTINUUM! They have all died right before my very eyes!

A YUEL....[voice cracks ever so slightly and calms down] Who collected flowers!

Mother fucker is ACTING the HELL out of every scene.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ImpAtom posted:

This may actually be it. Part of the Amazon.jp complaining when FFXIII came out was a lot (for internet usages of "a lot") of people complaining about having to play as a female lead who wasn't one of those moe fanservice blobs.

Which, depressingly, might explain FFXIII-3 in ways beyond just Toriyama's Got A Fetish.

Yeah, that is depressing to hear. :smith: Even though she generally comes off as a flat character, I still think Lightning is pretty cool, and I was happy to see that she wasn't a moe blob in XIII and XIII-2.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I do like Caius' voice acting, but his character is really just dull. That he's apparently the "most powerful villain in the franchise" or whatever honestly feels like a joke because there's almost nothing to him.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sunning posted:

While I was reading the updates for the Unsung Story Kickstarter, there was an interesting anecdote about the Final Fatasy Tactics' casting system.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians/posts/743272

As for the Kickstarter itself, it's been stagnating beyond the usual post launch valley. A number of backers have withdrawn their pledges because the project is unlikely to hit the Hitoshi Sakimoto and Alex O'Smith/Joeseph Reeder stretch goals. The developer and Matsuno seem to lack a cohesive vision since there have been conflicting accounts on how the game will look and play.

This was a very poorly executed Kickstarter by Playdek. Their main goal was to raise funds for a PC version rather than use Matsuno's collaborators to attract additional backers. They probably should have waited a month to put together a proof of concept and have Sakimoto and O'Smith/Reeder as part of the first goal. Or rip off Inafune's pitch for Mighty No. 9 by replacing Big Bad Capcom and Megaman with Square-Enix and Ogre Battle. There's still a chance that a last day push can get it to the minimum goal.

So they just announced that the composer (Sakimoto) will be joining the company regardless of the kickstarter outcome. Not sure if that's enough to save the kickstarter at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So they just announced that the composer (Sakimoto) will be joining the company regardless of the kickstarter outcome. Not sure if that's enough to save the kickstarter at this point.

They need about 100,000 in 3 days. They might be able to pull it off but it is going to be to the wire.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's been awhile since I've gotten preorder DLC. Is it safe to download that stuff before installing the game, or should I wait until the game itself arrives tomorrow?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, that is depressing to hear. :smith: Even though she generally comes off as a flat character, I still think Lightning is pretty cool, and I was happy to see that she wasn't a moe blob in XIII and XIII-2.

I'm confused. I've been trying to avoid all XIII-3 stuff because I don't like spoilers, but I was under the impression that lightning was still pretty cool and not moe blob-y?

Is this a mistaken assumption? I mean, I know that she can play dress up and all but I wasn't getting that kind of vibe from her?

Well, even so, I've already plopped down the cash for that se store exclusive bundle, so I've kinda already made my bed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sleeping Sigma posted:

I'm confused. I've been trying to avoid all XIII-3 stuff because I don't like spoilers, but I was under the impression that lightning was still pretty cool and not moe blob-y?

Is this a mistaken assumption? I mean, I know that she can play dress up and all but I wasn't getting that kind of vibe from her?

Well, even so, I've already plopped down the cash for that se store exclusive bundle, so I've kinda already made my bed.

No, she still is not moe blob-y, it's just that the director of the game is really loving creepy and in love with her. And also poo poo like some of the costumes being awful bikinis or cat girl maids or awful cat girl bikini maids and they gave her a boob job because Japan. Personality-wise she's still pretty much the same Lightning, with optional mustaches now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's been awhile since I've gotten preorder DLC. Is it safe to download that stuff before installing the game, or should I wait until the game itself arrives tomorrow?

You can install it in advance.

Sleeping Sigma posted:

She isn't moe blob-y at all but she has a wide variety of terrible fanserivce outfits. There are non-terrible outfits but also a lot of terrible ones.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

chumbler posted:

No, she still is not moe blob-y, it's just that the director of the game is really loving creepy and in love with her. And also poo poo like some of the costumes being awful bikinis or cat girl maids or awful cat girl bikini maids and they gave her a boob job because Japan. Personality-wise she's still pretty much the same Lightning, with optional mustaches now.

Ah, okay. I'm glad that the awful bits are relegated to optional stuff. I do remember hearing about the boob job/jiggle physics and just thinking: what the gently caress Japan?

Mustaches are new to me though. Sounds great.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Lightning Returns is up for download at the PSN store, for whoever cares.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtEQ3GYCao

Ironically this is like 15? hours in the game.

They just slip little nuggets of story in the game as it goes on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Ah, okay. I'm glad that the awful bits are relegated to optional stuff. I do remember hearing about the boob job/jiggle physics and just thinking: what the gently caress Japan?

Mustaches are new to me though. Sounds great.

It's pretty fun.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty fun.

I hope this stays a thing in games. Nothing better than putting sunglasses on all your characters.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure at first either since I was avoiding spoilers, but apparently as others have said, it's the optional costumes that are the offenders. In any case, I'm going to be too busy with mustaches and recreating VGCW's Purp-L.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 11, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure at first either since I was avoiding spoilers, but apparently as others have said, it's the optional costumes that are the offenders. In any case, I'm going to be too busy with mustaches and recreating VGCW's Purp-L.

Lightning's first costume is awful. You can get new costumes really quick tho'.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

Lightning's first costume is awful. You can get new costumes really quick tho'.

Hell, if you preordered you can already have more costumes than you know what to do with. I preordered from Gamestop so I'm getting a Cloud outfit and two samurai outfits. Then completing the demo gets you another outfit. Supposedly having FFXIII and XIII-2 save data will get you another outfit each. I think there's another outfit for some strategy guides or something. You can have about 7 bonus outfits before even starting the game.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Having a save game (doesn't have to be complete, doesn't have to be yours) of FFXIII and FFXIII-2 on your hard drive gets you Lightning's costume from those two games respectively (the Guardian Corps uniform, and the weird Valkyrie Etro's Champion thing).

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Cool, gonna put on Guardian Corps. Lightning and not look back. Also, I forgot that her first costume was also pretty bad. :(

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

PunkBoy posted:

Cool, gonna put on Guardian Corps. Lightning and not look back. Also, I forgot that her first costume was also pretty bad. :(

Unfortunately since all the costumes actually have stats and stuff, you probably will not be able to do this. The XIII/XIII-2 carry-over outfits are kinda bad stat-wise.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I know this is the most petty thing in the entire world, but I'm upset that the European digital pre-order doesn't come with the Cloud costume. Thankfully I only have enough money in my PSN wallet for the DLC for The Last of Us coming out on the same day, and have auto-funding turned off, so hopefully that will go through and Lightning Returns will be cancelled, and I can pick it up for £20 or rent it later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

999 times out of 1000 it's safe. Only time I know it wasn't was with Infamous 2.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
As someone who really disliked pretty much everything about FFXIII apart from the soundtrack, Lightning's Revenge seems pretty good so far. The battle system seems like a lot of fun and customising Lightning's loadout with new items as you get them is a blast. I have no idea what is happening as far as that plot goes but I never got round to playing XIII-2 so thats probably to be expected.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brasseye posted:

As someone who really disliked pretty much everything about FFXIII apart from the soundtrack, Lightning's Revenge seems pretty good so far. The battle system seems like a lot of fun and customising Lightning's loadout with new items as you get them is a blast. I have no idea what is happening as far as that plot goes but I never got round to playing XIII-2 so thats probably to be expected.

Chaos did stuff. World changed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brasseye posted:

A bad guy wanted to stop death because a girl he liked kept getting reincarnated and then dying again. He succeeded by killing the Goddess of Death. This hosed the world up awful good. Serah died because Lightning sent her on an adventure to try to stop it.

That's basically the sum of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lightning went into crystal sleep (Kristallnacht) to avoid most of it and LR starts when she wakes up or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Lightning went into crystal sleep (Kristallnacht) to avoid most of it and LR starts when she wakes up or whatever.

We must have a final summon for the Moogle Question.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Cool, I wondered why people were still alive after however long it had been. So all this Chaos stuff started showing up after the death goddess was killed? Honestly I'm just glad everyone has stopped saying l'cie and fal'cie all the drat time.

Aphrodite posted:

Lightning went into crystal sleep (Kristallnacht)

:v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brasseye posted:

Cool, I wondered why people were still alive after however long it had been. So all this Chaos stuff started showing up after the death goddess was killed? Honestly I'm just glad everyone has stopped saying l'cie and fal'cie all the drat time.

Basically to explain Chaos because it's a bit (a bit!) poorly explained:

FFXIII has a Physical World and a Spirit World/Afterlife/Whatever. The Afterlife is made of Chaos and human hearts/souls are made of Chaos. When someone dies their soulstuff goes back to the afterlife where it is eventually reborn as a new person. However since poo poo Be hosed, the afterlife is basically devouring the physical world unchecked. Since the goddess who regulated life and death is dead, nobody can be born or age anymore but they can still die from basically anything else, and once they're dead there's not really any way for them to be reborn so their souls just kind of hang out in the afterlife in eternal writhing torment.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Brasseye posted:

:v:

And instead say Paradox every other word...