Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if deku took down gentle here, he'd just go to jail and deku would go right back to school. charging him and taking him down fast wasn't a bad idea and deku knows how to not ovrkill other people; he just had trouble not doing it to himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I'd think a hero's response to a villain is going to be hugely dependent on the hero's quirk, and Midoriya's is gradually becoming HULK SMASH even if he is also clearly an insane zealot. Actually in this situation you could swap Midoriya for Bakugo and basically nothing at all would change from Gentle's perspective. "This person is insane and their quirk is ridiculously destructive; Run For It!"

Likely several other actual active duty pro heroes would elicit the same response, like Endeavor for instance.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gentle destroyed a bunch of pro heroes even if he didn't kill any of them. He's not a top tier threat only because his goals are very low level (exposing pudding related crime).

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The latest issue of Vigilantes dropped, and uh, holy poo poo.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

man what the gently caress knuckle duster you crazy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:stare::hf::qq:

Vigilantes is like....crazy, man.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
(Said backwards and then played in reverse) ELASTICITY

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
And what does this gum represent?

The power of rubber, and gum. Stretching. Not just gum, think elasticity.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Radish posted:

Gentle destroyed a bunch of pro heroes even if he didn't kill any of them. He's not a top tier threat only because his goals are very low level (exposing pudding related crime).

And it doesn't really matter what Gentle really plans to do at the festival, just him infiltrating the school and being there will ruin things for all of Deku's friends, as well as cause problems for the staff.

All Deku's done so far is try to tackle Gentle, so unless the next chapter has him stomping the guys face in, I don't think he's really over doing it at all.

Squidster posted:

Jesus Knuckleduster, you crazy.

I am also shocked that nothing ruined the concert

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, Gentle's goal is to break into the school and post a youtube video about it, so even if he does absolutely nothing to harm anyone it'll prove that UA's security measures are insufficient and at the very least bring an end to the school hosting any public events like the festival and possibly put them in hot water with the public and the police again. The consequences of Gentle succeeding as planned are actually pretty high even if no one is going to get hurt or die from it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

All Deku's done so far is try to tackle Gentle, so unless the next chapter has him stomping the guys face in, I don't think he's really over doing it at all.

And shot him with an air cannon blast, and slammed him into an under-construction building. That latter thing seems a bit excessive to me, given the apparent impact there.

Kanos posted:

Yeah, Gentle's goal is to break into the school and post a youtube video about it, so even if he does absolutely nothing to harm anyone it'll prove that UA's security measures are insufficient and at the very least bring an end to the school hosting any public events like the festival and possibly put them in hot water with the public and the police again. The consequences of Gentle succeeding as planned are actually pretty high even if no one is going to get hurt or die from it.

Oh, yes, of course. At the same time, though, from a somewhat wider perspective, if Gentle could get in that means UA's security failed, which is a major concern. He'd also expose some flaws in the process of getting in, which, given that he'd do no real damage, is better than the VA getting in through the same exploits Gentle would and then doing their thing in there.

This isn't an argument against stopping Gentle, mind. He should be stopped, obviously. Just, on a tangent from what you're saying here, if he'd get in unless Deku stops him, even after he warned everyone he'd try to get in, then things are already bad and Gentle getting in is arguably the better outcome because then hopefully those holes would get patched before worse things happened.

Which, really, means that Deku's fight here either doesn't matter because Gentle wouldn't get in either way, or him winning is actually potentially detrimental in the long run, despite saving the culture festival. Though Eri smiling is totally worth it anyway.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 24, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

And shot him with an air cannon blast, and slammed him into an under-construction building. That latter thing seems a bit excessive to me, given the apparent impact there.

That was also after Gentle launched him a mile into the air, which seems like a fair trade to me. I guess we'll just have to see how much damage crashing into that building actually did.

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, yes, of course. At the same time, though, from a somewhat wider perspective, if Gentle could get in that means UA's security failed, which is a major concern. He'd also expose some flaws in the process of getting in, which, given that he'd do no real damage, is better than the VA getting in through the same exploits Gentle would and then doing their thing in there.

This isn't an argument against stopping Gentle, mind. He should be stopped, obviously. Just, on a tangent from what you're saying here, if he'd get in unless Deku stops him, even after he warned everyone he'd try to get in, then things are already bad.

And it should also be noted that even if Gentle failed to infiltrate the school, they said that if even one alarm goes off, they'd shut down the whole festival, which is why Deku is trying to stop him from even attempting it.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 24, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

That was also after Gentle launched him a mile into the air, which seems like a fair trade to me. I guess we'll just have to see how much damage crashing into that building actually did.

True. Though, that was only because Deku ran at him with OFA-boosted power; a normal person wouldn't have caused that amount of backlash, since Gentle has obviously used the ability before and had no idea that was going to happen despite having presumably stopped pro heroes with it. Which kind of raises the question of just how much force Deku was going at him with.

quote:

And it should also be noted that even if Gentle failed to infiltrate the school, they said that if even one alarm goes off, they'd shut down the whole festival, which is why Deku is trying to stop him from even attempting it.

Fair, but him getting caught outside probably wouldn't trip any alarms, unless I'm forgetting something and everything goes off if anyone even gets close to the school. So, again, up to UA's security to not suck. Though, yeah, with the goal of "make sure the festival happens", Deku's actions make sense. Again, I was just pointing out that, if Gentle can get in then outside of ruining everyone's fun and giving UA another black eye (which they'd deserve if these clowns could get in, really) it's honestly probably the better outcome because, again, it'd better than the VA getting in through the same hole he'd use and, say, killing people.

Again, not arguing that as reasons Deku should let him pass; outside of the excessive force his actions make sense. Just, looking at the bigger picture, UA really, really better be good enough that Gentle wouldn't actually get in either way and all Deku's doing is saving the festival, at most (ideally Gentle and La Brava wouldn't even make it to the point they'd set off alarms), rather than stopping him from actually getting in.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 24, 2018

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

:thunk:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I just caught that too. Uhh, which one is the more accurate translation?

Roland Jones posted:

True. Though, that was only because Deku ran at him with OFA-boosted power; a normal person wouldn't have caused that amount of backlash, since Gentle has obviously used the ability before and had no idea that was going to happen despite having presumably stopped pro heroes with it. Which kind of raises the question of just how much force Deku was going at him with.

The first time he ran at him sure, but the second time he used his quirk to shoot him into the air probably wasn't affected by Deku's speed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://imgur.com/a/aIhbd

Vigilantes mirror.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rhonne posted:

And Gentle doesn't know any of this. Making children cry really doesn't sound like his MO, so if Deku had just verbalized why he needed to stop Gentle, instead of going straight to smash, there's a chance this could have been resolved without making exactly the kind of scene that will put UA on lockdown.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Squidster posted:

that's... what the hell was that? the queen bee, I mean, was it just really disgustingly large or did he pull out a chunk of brain matter, too? and what about her eye, there's supposed to be an eye there, did she not have one anymore?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SatansBestBuddy posted:

that's... what the hell was that? the queen bee, I mean, was it just really disgustingly large or did he pull out a chunk of brain matter, too? and what about her eye, there's supposed to be an eye there, did she not have one anymore?

She hasn't had an eye there for a while, as evidenced when Stain put a knife through the socket.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kinda hosed up and morbid how his daughter basically had a fuckoff huge insect queen in her head and likely has god only knows how much terrible brain damage, etc as a result. Vigilantes is gonna keep heading down this dark trajectory, and 100 chapters in the future there's gonna be a page with Koichi just shooting Pop in the face with a suppressed pistol after she's been mind-controlled to kill his mother or something.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So Vigilantes is gonna keep going THAT way huh

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I gotta wonder if this is what horikoshi really wanted when starting MHA.
I love it :allears:

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I can't help but love that Knuckleduster uses the same guy who we saw help the VA, to get himself equipment. It makes sense and I love it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Knuckleduster really is just Batman, isn't he?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The real reason Goons fear bees:

Existential body horror.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I always kinda had a feeling that Vigilantes has the potential to have a darker/bittersweet ending considering that it dovetails into some of the main plot elements of the main series. I kinda wonder how much Bitten Court likes cape-comics- is it all gonna just be surface-level stuff like the Avengers being badguys, delinquent Cyclops/Wolverine, etc, or is he going to crib actual cape-comic style plot development or make it mirror a particular comic moment.

Horikoshi is more into the series having stretches/arcs have look/feel similar to various eras of comics or doing homages to particular covers he likes (The Wolverine/Deku cover, the Twice/Toga cover that's like the Harley Quinn/Joker cover, Mirio's "A death in the family" cover, etc).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
International Bring Your Daughter To Work And Taser Her To Death Day.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Rhonne posted:

Knuckleduster really is just Batman, isn't he?

Not-Rich Batman

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Bootstraps Batman

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Unsure if possible, but, he's Angrier Batman.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
He's The Punisher if Frank Castle cared about keeping a secret identity and lived in a less-gun-centric culture. Even Castle had Microchip supplying him with gear and tech.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I always thought of him as closer to The Question/Rorschach.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I never expected a manga spinoff to be this good but Vigilantes is really becoming its own thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If the protagonist manages to regain his ability to fly, his quirk will have become one of the strongest we've seen in the setting. It seems like people who can outright fly are very rare. I'd also be curious to see what effect it has if you turn its repulsing force (or whatever) against a person. It obviously makes him float when apply to something like the street or a building, but if used against something with similar mass to him it seems like it might push them away.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I dont think you can fly you just jump far

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kild posted:

I dont think you can fly you just jump far

he can totally fly, it's just that his mom conditioned him not to as a baby because a baby flying everywhere is a serious child safety problem

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yinlock posted:

he can totally fly, it's just that his mom conditioned him not to as a baby because a baby flying everywhere is a serious child safety problem

woops I thought he was talking about Deku and not the Vigilantes protag.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Yinlock posted:

She hit a baby because she couldn't be arsed to invest in a child leash.

I have personal reasons that may be affect my opinions, but I hate his mom more than anyone else in Vigilantes or MHA proper.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I have personal reasons that may be affect my opinions, but I hate his mom more than anyone else in Vigilantes or MHA proper.

idk how you can hate her more than endeavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

not telling him he could fly as an adult was kinda hosed up too