Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lakbay posted:

PlaystationVR being mentioned makes me worry it'll have a lovely gimmick.

First person Armored Core :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've had one drop on both of my characters

Lovely Senorita posted:

while starting up my gimmick greatsword PVP character, I got a symbol of avarice out of the first mimic and a dark sword from the darkwraith who drops the red eye orb :hellyeah:

im not melting down right now, im cool as a cucumber sitting back in my chair and not wailing at the capriciousness of the gods

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jastiger posted:

The only thing that bugs me about armor is the amount I have to dump into vitality. I'm stuck wearing weak rear end armor because my vitality is around the same as my other stats. Frustrating. I don't want to wear everything, but I also am tired of ultra light paper armor. Even if Drang owns

Armour doesn't really do much, honestly. Someone else has done the math, but poise is broken/useless, and the damage reduction comes out to... not super all that much. Maybe another hit or two, depending on what you're fighting (ie. not bosses). Honestly it's more of a fashion souls thing if you want some heavy armour, or for your weapons.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I can't decide if whips are absolutely awful or not. Some enemies are incredibly easy to cheese and then the thrall enemies just bust my balls because gently caress the windup on whip attacks.

I'm not looking forward to basically any boss during this challenge run. :shepface: Hey at least Deacons oughta be an easy as hell fight with the whip R2s being a country mile wide.

I don't think they're a fantastic primary weapon, but they're lightweight and good enough in some situations that I like having them in a secondary slot. The 1h R2 is indeed particularly nice with its crazy wide arc and ability to easily kill things through walls.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I can't decide if whips are absolutely awful or not. Some enemies are incredibly easy to cheese and then the thrall enemies just bust my balls because gently caress the windup on whip attacks.

I'm not looking forward to basically any boss during this challenge run. :shepface: Hey at least Deacons oughta be an easy as hell fight with the whip R2s being a country mile wide.

I tried making Richter Bellmont, realized I couldn't even solo Abyss Watchers and said gently caress it, it's not worth it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I finally invaded enough to do the wolf covenant. Almost 3 hours of waiting for invasions and then chasing some idiots across the map while roasting them with fire surge. :negative:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I'm going through the Irithyll Dungeon.

I actually kinda like the weird spooky Gollum-lookin' dudes. They're more sympathetic than scary (it's gotta be the big babyface), and when they're even aggressive at all, they're not a problem to deal with. They add a sad sort of something to the journey.

But, I think I may actually have to call bullshit on the jailers. Yeah, good, they and this level are a neat throwback to Demon's Souls 3-1. But, their HP cap drain+heavy effect has a radius of like a million freaking miles and with the forced fatrolling they can basically one-shot you at whim with their stupid branding irons. It's cool to have tough enemies, different entirely to have flat out "gently caress you the only way you're getting through is tediously cheesing these jerks with ranged attacks."

I dunno, maybe I'll lighten up on 'em later, but it really brings down an otherwise cool creepy area.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I just really can't figure out what I can backstab and what I can't, what I can parry and what I can't. It makes going for a critical heavy build really lame.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mazed posted:

I actually kinda like the weird spooky Gollum-lookin' dudes. They're more sympathetic than scary (it's gotta be the big babyface), and when they're even aggressive at all, they're not a problem to deal with. They add a sad sort of something to the journey.

But, I think I may actually have to call bullshit on the jailers. Yeah, good, they and this level are a neat throwback to Demon's Souls 3-1. But, their HP cap drain+heavy effect has a radius of like a million freaking miles and with the forced fatrolling they can basically one-shot you at whim with their stupid branding irons. It's cool to have tough enemies, different entirely to have flat out "gently caress you the only way you're getting through is tediously cheesing these jerks with ranged attacks."

I dunno, maybe I'll lighten up on 'em later, but it really brings down an otherwise cool creepy area.

All they've really got is their pin-down attack, which will probably be a guaranteed kill no matter how much health you have, so if you just go into it cautiously to not get hit at all, the super low health thing is just there to scare you. This obviously does not apply to the conga line, in which yeah gently caress that cheese it with ranged attacks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Winged knight armor and wolf knight legs look amazing together.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

enojy posted:

All they've really got is their pin-down attack, which will probably be a guaranteed kill no matter how much health you have, so if you just go into it cautiously to not get hit at all, the super low health thing is just there to scare you. This obviously does not apply to the conga line, in which yeah gently caress that cheese it with ranged attacks.

Yeah, that part is precisely where I threw my hands up and resigned to taking forever getting out of there.

The health drain in and of itself wasn't a problem with the Princess ring.

Speaking of that ring, on a far happier note, the boss fight preceding that might be one my favorite in the series. It's not just an allusion to the one very specific boss in DS1, but plays out like a hardcore dance remix of it. Hell of a good time altogether, and very nice on the co-op front, even though lots of people rather clearly haven't gotten their footwork sorted out.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

enojy posted:

Even the conga line isn't that bad. There's a couple distinct groups, so if you're fast enough you can take out half before the other half joins. Also they don't seem to really like rushing around too much- some won't really move or attack you at all! Or are much less aggressive at least.

The brand, the only thing that can actually hurt you also had poo poo range and long wind up, so it's easy to dodge, or even just walk to avoid it. Just start luring them after you, trying get them to sync up brand attacks, and then you can go in, although it prob depends on your weapon a bit.

There's also the crucifix monster dude in a cell you can lure out to help.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Vargs posted:

I don't think they're a fantastic primary weapon, but they're lightweight and good enough in some situations that I like having them in a secondary slot. The 1h R2 is indeed particularly nice with its crazy wide arc and ability to easily kill things through walls.

_Endgame_ posted:

I tried making Richter Bellmont, realized I couldn't even solo Abyss Watchers and said gently caress it, it's not worth it.

I am committed to doing this challenge run since I never bothered to do one with the other games. I am (probably not) prepared for suffering and tears.

Besides, Franziska von Karma doesn't lose! :shepface:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

belmont mode in ds1 was hell until you got some...rad subweapons

invaded by "immortal zodd" who black-crystaled out when he started losing. yeah. thats what he did in the manga too.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
People who wear a full set of armour (outside of gimmick characters) instead of mixing and matching are bad, should feel bad and should leave. Fashion souls for life :colbert:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mazed posted:

If you look at them while they're red they'll drain your health. They're really easy to knock down with great weapons and pretty easy to bait around blind corners. If they do ever hit you with the soldering iron mash the gently caress out of roll because they'll insta kill you with the follow up attack

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
So, Farron's Keep is kind of a shithole right? What were they thinking, designing a giant poison swamp that's even more featureless than Blighttown?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I like Farron Keep

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eldred posted:

So, Farron's Keep is kind of a shithole right? What were they thinking, designing a giant poison swamp that's even more featureless than Blighttown?

It wasn't always a swamp it got cursed after the dudes running it got killed/hollowed.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Jastiger posted:

It wasn't always a swamp it got cursed after the dudes running it got killed/hollowed.

I meant the game design, it's just a giant circle. Maybe it's my own fault for hunting down all the items but rolling through poison swamp water is just tedious.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I dunno what it is but Farron's keep actually surprised me with how tame an area it was for the Token Poison Hellscape of the game. Limited verticality, relatively simple enemies and no bullshit suspended platforms? Yeah, a'ight.

About the only thing I hated were the goomba-stomping goatfucks. Yeah stop doing that jump STOP DOING THAT JUMP THANK YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The enemies rocketing around at full speed through the poison muck is annoying. The big guys not being hindered by it, yeah fine, but the grues that run around on all fours are scrawnier and taller than you are and yet they have no trouble with it. Personally I would've preferred enemies that hit hard, but moved slowly because they're wading through the same drat swamp water you are.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eldred posted:

They were thinking "At least poison is just kind of inconvenient", which gave a lot of forgiveness to that area in my book.

I did just suicide run for the nameless knight armor though. That's 9k souls I'm happy to leave behind under a tree trunk.

Songbearer posted:

I dunno what it is but Farron's keep actually surprised me with how tame an area it was for the Token Poison Hellscape of the game. Limited verticality, relatively simple enemies and no bullshit suspended platforms? Yeah, a'ight.

About the only thing I hated were the goomba-stomping goatfucks. Yeah stop doing that jump STOP DOING THAT JUMP THANK YOU

These guys can gently caress themselves forever, yes. Felt so loving good though when a desperate overhand slash killed one before they landed on me in the last place I saw them outside of Farron's.

The rest of the normal sized ones are complete chumps if you have even the most garbage shield on you at least. Let them uselessly hit your shield, then go back to two handing like a handsome person to flatten them if it's against your gamer religion to attack anything while holding a shield.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Those Ghru are actually super vulnerable to bows and crossbows, like a few other enemies in Farron Keep. I'm not sure if they actually take extra piercing damage but I think most of the characters I've run through that area have been able to two-shot them with any ranged weapon.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
For Farron swamp, get a weapon with Quickstep and spam it. Even when you run out of FP you can essentially fastroll through the entire thing :v:

E: I call this technique the Stabby Speedboat

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 1, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Are there any other abilities that take your FP but don't actually require FP to use?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I really, really enjoyed Farron Keep. And that's weird because the poison hellhole levels of these games tend to be annoying. They didn't overdo the parts you spend slogging, and the atmosphere hits home perfectly, with the ruins and beacon fires above the murk showing you the direction of your next objective. The enemies are good, but the gigantic witch-goat-things really struck a high note. Fromsoft's thematic art direction is often spot-on, and those creatures really captured the essence of some horrific pagan god of the deep forest come to life.

It also had a couple of really neat aside moments: First, the tower you can climb to reach the ruined road from Lothric to the Undead Settlement, which was a nice scenic breather (minus possibly getting baseball-pitched off the wall by a demon), and second, the Darkwraiths charging up the road on their own quest to take down the Abyss Watchers. The world of DS3 feels very much alive; rather than you showing up after the end like in previous games, you're in the midst of the mayhem, and that moment illustrates it quite well.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

LibbyM posted:

Are there any other abilities that take your FP but don't actually require FP to use?

Well for quickstep in specific it still lets you do the hop, but you lose the i-frames. I think someone also mentioned that the caestus weapon art loses its hyper armour. I'd bet there's a few others that will let you do the move, but lose what makes it actually good or worth using.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You can still use the weapon art for most things without FP it just does very little damage and loses any special effect it may have.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eldred posted:

I meant the game design, it's just a giant circle. Maybe it's my own fault for hunting down all the items but rolling through poison swamp water is just tedious.

Eh it makes sense. It was a forest and moat before you got to the keep proper, so it being a circle as a defensive measure makes sense to me.

I love the scenes though. When you first find the boreal city, that looks out of movie. And when the thing said at the top after thinking "man that whole bit with the Knights and rooftops seems really familiar" and it says Anor Londo , it really gets ya in the nostalgia feels. I kept going back and looking down at the first bridge and remembering that just about anywhere you can see, you can go.

For lore, is Gwyn the FIRST of all of it? I know time and space run all over, but is that part right? Did all of these places exist in different times and places or are they all the same place just millenia old?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The weakness of poise makes a lot of the weapon arts sort of bittersweet. Like yeah, I want to do my insane anime giant blender twirl with my curved greatsword, please stop interrupting my styling, mr. knight with dinky longsword.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Symbol of Avarice? My second character has 2 of them and I've only killed maybe 5 of the Mimics :shrug:

This game is cruel as hell.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
gently caress the princes.

So far, it has taken me max 3 tries a boss and I've killed most of them on first try. But this poo poo. This might be the fight I have to summon help to keep my sanity.

I was one hit away from victory, when the scrawny one managed to heal his bro. There's no way to hit him when they're both standing, right?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Hey if you want a symbol of avarice here is how you get one. You don't kill the one with the deep battle axe you just leave it right alone because it's right next to a bonfire (once you unlock the shortcut) Then you come back with a stack of ~30 undead hunter charms. You toss one at the chest. It falls asleep and opens its mouth. You take the item. Maybe you get a symbol of avarice too? probably not though. You poke it with a bullshit weapon and it wakes up but doesn't kill you, no it just goes back to being a trapped chest. it yawns and rubs the sandman's dust out of its eyes and just goes back to being a chest. Then you toss another undead hunter charm at it. You do this until it barfs up a symbol of avarice, going back to get another stack of five charms whenever you run out. You don't have to kill literally every mimic, you just have to buy some duel charms and give a single chest a series of power naps.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can damage Lothric even while Lorian is active, but you have to be pretty much right behind Lorian for damage to register. It's incredibly easy if you have a phantom because Lorian can only really focus on one of you at a time.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Metanaut posted:

There's no way to hit him when they're both standing, right?

Nah, you can. But it's harder to stay behind both of them solo and easier in co-op when one person gets focused and the other(s) push his butthole in.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Hey if you want a symbol of avarice here is how you get one. You don't kill the one with the deep battle axe you just leave it right alone because it's right next to a bonfire (once you unlock the shortcut) Then you come back with a stack of ~30 undead hunter charms. You toss one at the chest. It falls asleep and opens its mouth. You take the item. Maybe you get a symbol of avarice too? probably not though. You poke it with a bullshit weapon and it wakes up but doesn't kill you, no it just goes back to being a trapped chest. it yawns and rubs the sandman's dust out of its eyes and just goes back to being a chest. Then you toss another undead hunter charm at it. You do this until it barfs up a symbol of avarice, going back to get another stack of five charms whenever you run out. You don't have to kill literally every mimic, you just have to buy some duel charms and give a single chest a series of power naps.

Duel Charms actually don't work. It has to specifically be Hunter Charms.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I've never gotten a symbol of avarice drop in any souls game and i've put hundreds of hours into them all.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nakar posted:

You can damage Lothric even while Lorian is active, but you have to be pretty much right behind Lorian for damage to register. It's incredibly easy if you have a phantom because Lorian can only really focus on one of you at a time.

I love how that fight mixes things up. With Lorian it's really easy to stay in front of him, and it seems he takes more damage from the front.

The Lothric comes in and it's all "gently caress your existing strategy, think harder! "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

I've never gotten a symbol of avarice drop in any souls game and i've put hundreds of hours into them all.

You've clearly been missing mimics cause the last mimic you kill in DS1 is guaranteed to drop one. Apparently DS3 is the same way but sometimes it bugs out and you have to reload to find it where the Sunlight Sword mimic is.