Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Played a game tonight, it’s definitely a Battle Royale, got third parties by a guy who had way more poo poo than me.

The Cultist ability is wild strong, I got nuked and had no idea he was anywhere near me

It was fun tbh, sucked I couldn’t keep spectating

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

LonsomeSon posted:

Neat that the win condition is to take off in the same ship which lands founding city tiles in Beyond Earth ~

I'd find Beyond Earth way more fun if there was a way to set that you want your guys to be non-hostile to aliens. Instead I need to micromanage my explorers etc from the start because if I tell them to automatically explore they'll just try to kill any aliens they see and the civs who like aliens are immediately peeved and it takes forever for alien opinion to recover. It's a good idea for a take on Barbarians but the execution is naff.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Fortunately the patch is save game compatible, I loaded my current game without issues

I had a war declared on me by the Zulus and they were almost effective on it, but maybe it was them being lucky

Also it seems like some civs color changed, or maybe now they have alternate colors when another civ on the same game uses similar colors. In this game Im Inca and I have the Zulus nearby, both brown. Also, Cree and America, both blue. After the patch the Zulus are green and America orange

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I either can't find or can't connect to a Red Death game. I have no idea how good it is but I'd at least like to try it

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
One other Red Death thought, I really liked the new assets they drew for the mode, from the units, to the cities, to the random junk strewn on the map. A+ imo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also it seems like some civs color changed, or maybe now they have alternate colors when another civ on the same game uses similar colors.

They've had alternate color schemes in place since Gathering Storm.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah. It was from the patch notes that I learned that computer touchers refer to them as "jersey colors."

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think the Enhanced Mod Manager got hosed in the new update, the game loads into mods and then just hard locks

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Finally got Red Death working and drat, the Cultists are far stronger than the other factions. It's not even close.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Straight White Shark posted:

Weird, because Im 100% sure the Zulu was brown in my game before yesterday patch

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Weird, because Im 100% sure the Zulu was brown in my game before yesterday patch

The colors only change in response to other colors that are currently in the game, if I remember correctly. If none of the other civs are close to brown, they stay brown.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

homullus posted:

The colors only change in response to other colors that are currently in the game, if I remember correctly. If none of the other civs are close to brown, they stay brown.

Yeah, and like I said Im playing Inca, which is also brown. Its a game I started before the patch, and the Zulu was brown. Only yesterday, after the patch, I loaded the game and it was green

edit: vvvvv Im not crazy!

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 11, 2019

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Kongo in our PlayByCloud game also changed colors with the latest patch

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Have the new maps updated, btw?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Samovar posted:

Have the new maps updated, btw?

The patch is out, yes.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
You can also play Red Death by yourself by choosing a hotseat multiplayer game and selecting it as the game mode.

I don't hate it, which is not something I expected to say.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Played a game of Red Death. It's all the fun of moving a unit carpet around in rugged terrain without any of the stuff that I actually somewhat enjoyed in Civ 6.

I think I'll pass on it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Friend of mine started playing this and he can't see resource icons on anything - is there a hotkey for this, or something in the menus?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shooting Blanks posted:

Friend of mine started playing this and he can't see resource icons on anything - is there a hotkey for this, or something in the menus?

Dont know if there is hotkey, but you can enable it on map settings, one of the buttons above the minimap

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Elias_Maluco posted:

Dont know if there is hotkey, but you can enable it on map settings, one of the buttons above the minimap

Perfect, thanks. Could not find the drat button.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, but how do you develop a better intuition of what to build, when, and why (Civ6)?

I have fun little games going on the default mode where I do pretty well, by the end I can crank out a science victory to win -- most of the time I'm just building what the advisor recommends. I feel like I'm tossing a coin on what to build in my cities, e.g. do I want a monument over a granary, or do I stop building granaries at all at some point in the game, when is a good time to build settlers vs. focus on improving cities, etc.

How do I gain a feel for answering these questions during the game?

Also I don't know if this makes sense but I like playing the game like Colonization, where you focus on building up manufacturing and producing goods to sell to the old world. Is there a strategy in Civ6 that is similar to playing Colonization?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

piratepilates posted:

I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, but how do you develop a better intuition of what to build, when, and why (Civ6)?

I have fun little games going on the default mode where I do pretty well, by the end I can crank out a science victory to win -- most of the time I'm just building what the advisor recommends. I feel like I'm tossing a coin on what to build in my cities, e.g. do I want a monument over a granary, or do I stop building granaries at all at some point in the game, when is a good time to build settlers vs. focus on improving cities, etc.

Also I don't know if this makes sense but I like playing the game like Colonization, where you focus on building up manufacturing and producing goods to sell to the old world. Is there a strategy in Civ6 that is similar to playing Colonization?

One big thing is prioritizing food and housing early on. You will never not need granaries, but by a certain point in the game, their gold cost should be trivial enough to your income that you just buy one when you found a new city. The big thing for Settlers is the earlier the better, because a city founded early will always perform better than one started on turn 250. Of course if you need to go for a resource you just revealed you should never be afraid of making a new city, just be aware that it will kinda only be for that one thing. The later on in the game, the more expensive it becomes to produce districts, so early cities is the key.

One caveat is that even if the initial cost of a new district you've founded in a late game district seems daunting, but you need it for more great work slots or whatever the need is, go ahead and start it up, and start some internal trade routes in that city to your other ones. With high enough food intake to the city, it'll grow to three or four population in ten to fifteen turns, and those new citizens can start working more tiles around the city, and you'll find the time to build the district dropping dramatically.

Another note, this one is a little exploitative, but if you have a plan for the districts you want in a city, and it has the population to build them, go ahead and start both of them, canceling the building of it until later. District production cost goes up with the techs and civics you've learned, but if you start a district, it will place it, and the production cost won't go up, so you can wait until you've got a Water Mill and a Granary to help the city grow faster then go back, since districts are permanent.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I had a go at Civ 5 again yesterday. I really DON'T miss the way Civ 5 punches you in the face for daring to attempt to build a settler or- gasp!- found a city.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tilted Axis maps are really weird yet cool to work on. Despite its name the world gen is a projection of a "normal" map with the poles at the center and outer edges, kinda Disc World-y with the giant frozen center. For some reason doing it like that seems to generate an utter fuckton of rainforests so they're great for Brazil.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, granaries are a 1# build for most cities, you need the food and housing it gives for early growth. Monuments depends: important for culture early game, or for loyalty when the city is getting foreign pressure, but you can skip it later on (but is so cheap you might build anyway)

And I think yes, you will get a feeling of what to build and when after a number of games, but is hard to have a formula for all cases: it largely depends on your objectives, terrain, needs, enemies

I usually build campus and industrial zones on all cities, specially early on: being ahead on science makes everything, and every victory, easier; also, you want to have the production to build what you need in a sensible time, that also gives you a big advantage (also because Im a wonder freak, and that need a lot of production)

Housing is usually a problem in my games, growing cities will always be lacking it, so I give a priority to improvments that gives housing (farms and etc) and big cities will need a neighborhood.

Aerodromes and encampments on a few cities, with good production if possible, and strategically placed.

Commercial also in a few cities, you need the money and the trade route slots. but I prefer harbor when possible, land tiles are precious

Same with waterparks and entertainment. And late buildings for both have an area effect, so place then in a location they will be near more cities

Units as you need them. I usually go well into medieval of even renaissance eras with barely an army. The later you start making combat units, the better, in my experience, unless you want to conquer. And find kinda wasteful to conquer early on: is very hard if the enemy as walls, you will need a lot of units, it doest not seems worthy to me. Its a huge advantage to not make an army early on, so you can use all your production to build your cities. But sometimes you will be attacked, so you need to be ready or have the capacity of getting ready fast, when needed. I usually research masonry early on but will not build walls, and I will keep like 2 archers and 1 or 2 melee units. If I get attacked, I will switch to building walls on my threatened cities immediately, and my small army will be able to hold the attackers till the walls are built

Adjacency bonuses for discricts are very valuable early game. If you can find a +4 or more tile for your campus, for example, thats a huge boost on the first eras. But it gets less and less important as the game progresses, so dont stress too much about it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 15, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking about that: after you get somewhat good on city building,. it becomes glaring how bad the AI is on this too

Late game Ill usually have 7-10 cities, most or all +10 pops, some +20, maybe even some +30. Then I look at the AI civs: usually also 7-10 cities, but most under 10 pops, and very rarely a +20 one. And tiles mostly undeveloped all around

This is very different form civ 5: on 5 late game the AI would have huge cities, since city building was basically linear and the AI has cheating bonuses. In civ 6, that aint enough

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

piratepilates posted:

Civ is a very different game from col- in col, that's almost the whole game- building a machine that gets you the things you need to win the war of independence. In civ, that's basically represented by a trade route.

Also if you're playing any kind of strategy that involves doing anything by turn 300, the main important yield in cities is actually hammers- food is useful, but good food tiles are way easier to find than good hammer tiles.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 15, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tree Bucket posted:

I had a go at Civ 5 again yesterday. I really DON'T miss the way Civ 5 punches you in the face for daring to attempt to build a settler or- gasp!- found a city.

when the game punches you in the face just punch back, burn everything, keep the capital and all the juicy, free great works

enjoy having one less leaderhead to irritate you with toothless denouncements

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tree Bucket posted:

I've been annoyed by how 6 handles this lately. It's fine if other civs settle literally up against your border, but if you settle even vaguely in the direction of another civ, even if there's a huge buffer still, they hate you forever. And yeah, you can enter the diplomacy view and tell them to cut it out, but that does nothing but make them hate you for their own action of settling next to you.

I don't mind it when I'm on a war path already, but it always happens in games where I'm trying to not have wars that slow down my other goals.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Units as you need them. I usually go well into medieval of even renaissance eras with barely an army. The later you start making combat units, the better, in my experience, unless you want to conquer. And find kinda wasteful to conquer early on: is very hard if the enemy as walls, you will need a lot of units, it doest not seems worthy to me. Its a huge advantage to not make an army early on, so you can use all your production to build your cities. But sometimes you will be attacked, so you need to be ready or have the capacity of getting ready fast, when needed. I usually research masonry early on but will not build walls, and I will keep like 2 archers and 1 or 2 melee units. If I get attacked, I will switch to building walls on my threatened cities immediately, and my small army will be able to hold the attackers till the walls are built

I like to make a sizeable army early, like 8 or so warriors and a few archers. You can get policies to increase production of military units which makes them extremely cheap making one unit a turn right before you go for swordsmen and iron. Then you simply upgrade them when needed throughout, it can be a pain to try and create an army from scratch after you've had war declared on you. This will also help you deal with barbarians, explore the map, maybe take over a city state or two.

Always try to create your army just as you are about to advance in certain technologies, if you have more gold than production, just build old units and upgrade them after the tech completes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

PhantomZero posted:

I like to make a sizeable army early, like 8 or so warriors and a few archers. You can get policies to increase production of military units which makes them extremely cheap making one unit a turn right before you go for swordsmen and iron. Then you simply upgrade them when needed throughout, it can be a pain to try and create an army from scratch after you've had war declared on you. This will also help you deal with barbarians, explore the map, maybe take over a city state or two.

Always try to create your army just as you are about to advance in certain technologies, if you have more gold than production, just build old units and upgrade them after the tech completes.

I've always thought ranged was a better bet early on than melee given how horrible the AI is at fighting.

After getting 2-3 archers and a scout that's usually enough for me for a while, just in terms of holding off barbarians. Focus on building up some mines and getting trade routes going and it's not too bad to buy up some units if someone does go aggro on you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PhantomZero posted:

Upgrading is very expensive. And even with the policies, it always seems to me that Im wasting production I could be using for buildings and wonders, for units that will be obsolete before I use them and also cost maintenance, when a couple of archers and a spearmen is usually enough to resist any attack early game, provided you got walls. And if they arent enough, then I will build more, not before. The AI is very slow attacking, if you have decent production (and change to those military production policies), it wont be a problem

edit: disclaimer: I play on king, that probably wont work on higher difficulties

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 15, 2019

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's worth building a bunch of warriors, slingers and scouts for two reasons:
So that when you have nothing better to do with your military cards than +1 amenity from a garrison, you can use this
And
So that when your buddies decide to conquer your city states, you can surround them with your own units to protect them

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Marmaduke! posted:

It's worth building a bunch of warriors, slingers and scouts for two reasons:
So that when you have nothing better to do with your military cards than +1 amenity from a garrison, you can use this
And
So that when your buddies decide to conquer your city states, you can surround them with your own units to protect them

Also you're getting good mileage out of the milestones that military actions give you- also, you can beat up your neighbor if they're nearby.

It's also not a huge cost to build military units if you're settling good cities.

If you have any closeby powers, hitting them and taking a city or two off of them will easily recoup any investment in units.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
couldn't play this weekend because my non-UI mods are still broken :(

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Panzeh posted:

Also you're getting good mileage out of the milestones that military actions give you- also, you can beat up your neighbor if they're nearby.

It's also not a huge cost to build military units if you're settling good cities.

If you have any closeby powers, hitting them and taking a city or two off of them will easily recoup any investment in units.

Exactly, you always get the bare minimum effect, and then you can use them in a few ways if you want. Plus it improves your military score so the AI is less likely to attack you (although sometimes it's good to be attacked so the AI absorbs the grievances).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Marmaduke! posted:

Exactly, you always get the bare minimum effect, and then you can use them in a few ways if you want. Plus it improves your military score so the AI is less likely to attack you (although sometimes it's good to be attacked so the AI absorbs the grievances).

Yeah, in the time while you're settling and better districts are unlocking, you generally have little else to do but build military units so it's not really a cost. The only time i don't build a significant army in that time is when i'm beelining a weird victory.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Not for me, I usually am building districts and wonders and buildings and builders non stop early game

And I really dont like to conquer (except late game when I get bored), so an army for me is just for defense. And against the AI, it can be small. And the earlier you set your campuses and industrial zones and theaters and etc, the more you get out of them. But yeah, it is useful to have at least 1 per city so you can get use that policy for +1 amenity, which can be very helpful early on

Also one thing I love in civ 6 is that you can switch what you are producing and then switch back later without losing anything, so whenever you need this kind of stuff (like units, walls), you can switch production to then immediately and then back to what you were doing

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

Upgrading is very expensive. And even with the policies, it always seems to me that Im wasting production I could be using for buildings and wonders, for units that will be obsolete before I use them and also cost maintenance, when a couple of archers and a spearmen is usually enough to resist any attack early game, provided you got walls. And if they arent enough, then I will build more, not before. The AI is very slow attacking, if you have decent production (and change to those military production policies), it wont be a problem

edit: disclaimer: I play on king, that probably wont work on higher difficulties
I also play defensively early game with minimal military necessary and I do it on immortal, so yeah it does work. You just need to carefully manage your diplomacy with your neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Elias_Maluco posted:

Upgrading is very expensive.
:confused: Doesn't upgrading have a way better gold:industry ratio than buying stuff? Even without the policy?