Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I got it in the humble bundle, are all of the DLC's worth getting, or only some in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
See if you like the base game first, then if so they're all worth a look.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's a Paradox game so eventually you will just buy all of them anyway.

I would wait until the Armageddon DLC comes out since the others might be on sale.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
And today's dev diary for Stellaris:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-102-edicts-campaigns-and-unity-ambitions.1066645/&sdpDevPosts=1

Detailing upcoming changes to edicts as well as a place to dump your spare Unity once you've filled out all the trees.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-102-edicts-campaigns-and-unity-ambitions.1066645/&sdpDevPosts=1

Detailing upcoming changes to edicts as well as a place to dump your spare Unity once you've filled out all the trees.
Since more traditions means pricier ambitions there's also an incentive to ask if you really want to grab that last tradition tree.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The displayed Unity edicts look genuinely powerful. Will be interesting to see if it's worth forgoing traditions just to keep them up.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/956222763848658945
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/956508678244487168

Yeah they gonna announce release date today.

Betting March 22nd

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Empire Edicts have also been changed to work in the same way as Planetary Edicts, with an upfront cost and a duration rather than a monthly cost. The reason for this is that we wanted to ensure players always have a use for their pooled influence - an empire that is not using that influence on expanding through Starbases or Claims will be able to boost their empire in a variety of ways, including powerful resource-boosting edicts such as Production Targets and Capacity Overload.

This is super smart and I like it. Edicts are what tall empires use banked influence for instead of expanding?

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 25, 2018

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Poil posted:

Will this finally involve a way to see what your strike craft did? Damage to enemy ships, enemy strike crafts shot down and so on?

Just so this isn’t missed in the diary posts, wiz confirmed this will show strike craft damage in the replies to that tweet.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

1 month off - February 22.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Independence Day - How It Should Have Ended.

Its a pretty great story trailer. :ssh:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

ABen posted:

drat!

For actual content:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/956527255160803328

Price is 19.99

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 25, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ABen posted:

Holy poo poo :eyepop:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Ah, nice. I'm off that week, too.

Going to be a long month...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

canepazzo posted:

Betting March 22nd

I wish this was spot on because I have work off the week after.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3YB2ptGws

Here's a youtube version of the announcement trailer because the one from Twitter didn't work for me and I love these Paradox trailers

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What?! But Feb. 19th is a federal holiday in the states! They're wasting the holiday releasing on the 22nd!! Don't they know America comes first? Were the Trump-esque "Make Space Great Again" hats just a joke?? I declare war, unilaterally.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Cheers for the late birthday present, Paradox! Given my actual birthday will be spent in an antenatal class, this is very thoughtful.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
yo I don't mean to brag but that is a very good trailer

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

looks like all the DLC is on sale 50% off on the paradox site. what are the must have ones? synthetic dawn, utopia, leviathan?

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

LordMune posted:

yo I don't mean to brag but that is a very good trailer

I visited my nieces recently and it may have hit me in the feels just a little.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

queeb posted:

looks like all the DLC is on sale 50% off on the paradox site. what are the must have ones? synthetic dawn, utopia, leviathan?

Utopia adds some pretty important game mechanics with traditions and Ascension perks and I would say is most important. Synthetic Dawn is great, the robot empires are creative and fun to have to play with. I think the AI will play robot empires even if you don't have the DLC? Leviathans is cool but doesn't add anything critical. Not a bad DLC, but you're "missing" the least if you skip it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Change that to ID2 and I'm with you.

Good trailer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

queeb posted:

Utopia is the mustest have, but Leviathans is good also. Synthetic Dawn only adds robot empires, so get it if you want to play as one of those (you do).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Leviathan -> Utopia -> Synthetic Dawn. Leviathan adds critical trade mechanics, Utopia adds some neat end-game stuff and perks, Synthetic Dawn is for playing machines. Leviathan looks to become slightly less important with 2.0 (traders are getting changed/nerfed) but so is Utopia (generic Perks won't require Utopia anymore).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Utopia is the mustest have, but Leviathans is good also. Synthetic Dawn only adds robot empires, so get it if you want to play as one of those (you do).

on the other hand, the only major utopia features in a month will be megastructures and bio/shroud/robo ascensions, since afaik 2.0 is gonna put the rest of perks/unity stuff in for vanilla players too

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Bought the Apocalypse DLC off the Paradox website.

Anyone know what the deal is with the "Paradox Version" ? It's listed as a second, free item bundled with the DLC.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Stupid question but is 2.0 going out alongside Apocalypse?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Usually that's how it works, yeah, and they haven't indicated that changing

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

The Bramble posted:

I declare war, unilaterally.

How often is a war declared bilaterally, anyways?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obfuscation posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3YB2ptGws

Here's a youtube version of the announcement trailer because the one from Twitter didn't work for me and I love these Paradox trailers

:rip: UNE. Must’ve spawned next to an advanced start purifier

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
They finally hit space in 2307... inside said fanatical purifier's empire. :commissar:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Release date seems way sooner than I'd be expecting given how big the changes are. Excited to get it so soon, but hope all these major new mechanics have had time to be balanced and bug free by then.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Release date seems way sooner than I'd be expecting given how big the changes are. Excited to get it so soon, but hope all these major new mechanics have had time to be balanced and bug free by then.

good news, they had to cut today's stream short due to constant desyncs :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Baronjutter posted:

I think I'm going to be okay accepting my first 2.0 game will be slightly frustrating as they iron out all the unexpected showstoppers. :unsmith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

good news, they had to cut today's stream short due to constant desyncs :v:

Well it's still paradox, so Feb 22 is basically the day it goes from alpha to open beta regardless of what they label it internally. But it's ok, we're all paradox players here, we know what we signed up for and will do what we think is right and in the end everything will be good. We've all sworn to play new releases on day one, from the depths of major patches released before a holiday, to the edge of castration loops, for as long as I shall click on fiddly map games!

*flies into a game-breaking day-one release bug*

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always try to claim Sol as soon as I find it. Someday I'll have a game where humans discover space travel, only to realize that they're just a backwater in my grand interstellar empire and have no destiny among the stars. If they're lucky, they can catch the TV signals from Mars and enjoy some good, wholesome space jellyfish entertainment.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Well it's still paradox, so Feb 22 is basically the day it goes from alpha to open beta regardless of what they label it internally. But it's ok, we're all paradox players here, we know what we signed up for and will do what we think is right and in the end everything will be good. We've all sworn to play new releases on day one, from the depths of major patches released before a holiday, to the edge of castration loops, for as long as I shall click on fiddly map games!

*flies into a game-breaking day-one release bug*

ehh, I only play stellaris by paradox and I'd say it's better than most RTS games as far as issues go, and it's on a much bigger scale than most RTSes.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Sword of the Stars 2 will always ground my release day expectations in both reason and horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I still remember after the release of Utopia when no one would ever declare war on anyone else. The galaxy was so serene.

To their credit after that they did commit to better bug hunting and that they would be changing some internal processes as a result.

• Locked thread