Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Just make a script to post this every 6 months from now until COVID takes you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Zeriel posted:

6? Buddy,

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The cemetery be like

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

We say the magic words, “Open Biden!” 🪄

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
That won't be a new waves, if we just have a neverending wave

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Platystemon posted:

The cemetery be like

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Palladium posted:

So you agree, it's endemic thus over

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Palladium posted:

Turns out a tsunami isn't quite as noticeable once you move to the middle of the ocean

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

can't have excess deaths if you don't count deaths

*taps skull*

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I have a really good joke for when the inventor of the mp3 dies, nobody steal it

rip

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Palladium posted:

Letting SARS-CoV-2 evolve to this point seems analogous to all the carbon we dumped into the atmosphere. Get ready for sea level rise, baby

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

really looking forward to the uncharted territory of no mitigations and testing.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Rauros posted:

really looking forward to the uncharted territory of no mitigations and testing.

Covid-19: New Game+

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
https://twitter.com/EnemyInAState/status/1506311077054795787
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6FBfAQ-NDE

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
So weird, to find that getting covid over and over doesn't make you stronger! :iiam:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol it's really gonna turn out to be straight up airborne aids before it's all over. the t cell depletion thing seems more and more likely to be real

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Rauros posted:

Also if you wear a mask in public someone named Tucker will try to fight you

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Trixie Hardcore posted:

So weird, to find that getting covid over and over doesn't make you stronger! :iiam:
what doesn’t kill you makes you cough more

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

speng31b posted:

Also if you wear a mask in public someone named Tucker will try to fight you

I wore a mask in a Kwik Trip yesterday and this white neo nazi looking guy walked up behind me and said “oh poo poo”. I turned around scared that I was gonna have him rip my mask off and punch me and call be a big nussy. But anyway I’m pretty sure he said that because he walked past the aisle he meant to go down. Also I’m not sure he was a neo nazi.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
only👏 listen👏 to👏 experts👏 who👏 agree👏 with👏 my👏 opinions👏

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

im saint germain posted:

only👏 listen👏 to👏 experts👏 who👏 agree👏 with👏 my👏 opinions👏

it’s hard to be an expert if you have the wrong opinion imo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rauros posted:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ruggan posted:

Love that Matty is propping up an “expert” whose analyses are trash-tier (in a field she has no business stepping into, at that) and whose predictions are rarely correct

I hate that “expert” really has become synonymous with “smart-sounding person who says what I want to hear”

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zugzwang posted:

Love that Matty is propping up an “expert” whose analyses are trash-tier (in a field she has no business stepping into, at that) and whose predictions are rarely correct

I hate that “expert” really has become synonymous with “smart-sounding person who says what I want to hear”

“expert” has always meant this, though - it’s just that armchair experts have unprecedented exposure via online platforms, where they can espouse their lovely ideas and find an audience

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

empty whippet box posted:

lol it's really gonna turn out to be straight up airborne aids before it's all over. the t cell depletion thing seems more and more likely to be real

People have been talking about that since before Delta. They grow back, you're always making more.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

People have been talking about that since before Delta. They grow back, you're always making more.

yeah they tour the body and poo poo

https://twitter.com/natureportfolio/status/1505959930997747715?s=21

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

what doesn’t kill me makes me weaker!?!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ruggan posted:

Expert vs expertise

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Look, STIs and unwanted pregnancies aren’t going anywhere. There’s no way to make them not exist, we’re stuck with them, your great grand children will have them, they’re a fact of life. How long are we going to continue to put up with the virtue signaling moral scolds telling us to get tested and use protection just to do things that humans have done forever? I wore cloth condoms for two years, I got chlamydia anyway so they don’t even work, and now I’m immune. It’s over, and I’m not going back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Real Mean Queen posted:

Look, STIs and unwanted pregnancies aren’t going anywhere. There’s no way to make them not exist, we’re stuck with them, your great grand children will have them, they’re a fact of life. How long are we going to continue to put up with the virtue signaling moral scolds telling us to get tested and use protection just to do things that humans have done forever? I wore cloth condoms for two years, I got chlamydia anyway so they don’t even work, and now I’m immune. It’s over, and I’m not going back.

Subaru just got rid of STIa, it’s clearly possible.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

This is a gross simplification that ignores how the thymus changes with age, not to mention how individual t cells alter function as they age.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

empty whippet box posted:

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0817/11/4/390

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0817/11/4/390 posted:

Superantigens and Autoimmunity
Superantigens are implicated in the development of autoimmune diseases [53,54,55,56,57,58]. T-cell clones that are cross-reactive towards the endogenous host and microbial epitopes may be stimulated and migrate to tissue containing an autoantigen, a mechanism believed to play a role in the pathogenesis of rheumatic fever [59,60]. Individuals with autoimmune diseases show an increase in such T-cells in affected organs or peripheral blood [5]. Superantigens stimulate autoantibody production by bridging the MHC Class II molecule of B-cells with the TCR on T-cells [61]. Whether deletion or autoimmunity occurs seems to be a function of dose, persistence, host haplotype and severity of cytokine response [62].
Persistent subcutaneous exposure to a superantigen has been shown to cause a systemic inflammatory disease mimicking systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in mice [63]. Superantigens have been shown to trigger or exacerbate SLE [64]. Interestingly, HERV-E has been implicated in SLE [65,66]. HERV-E has been found to be upregulated in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of COVID-19 patients [67].
Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) is a T-cell-mediated autoimmune disease triggered by unknown environmental factors acting on a predisposing genetic background, but there is evidence superantigen-like exposure in the form of HERV-W-env upregulation is implicated in the recruitment of macrophages in the pancreas and beta-cell dysfunction [68]. Antibodies against HERV-W-env precede or overlap with conventional IDDM antibodies in youths who are susceptible to or have the condition.

The issue of whether SARS-CoV-2 contains a superantigen is not settled, but the evidence is accumulating [90,91,92,93,94,95] and SARS-CoV-2 is causing superantigen or superantigen-like clinical presentations and biomarkers. In addition to cytokine storms [96], T-cell activation and deletion [74] and presentation of MIS-C [73,97,98] (similar to Kawasaki disease, a suspected consequence of superantigen exposure [99]), those infected by SARS-CoV-2 who suffer Long COVID following infection manifest symptoms [100] typically seen in autoimmune conditions such as SLE [101,102,103], and autoantibodies [71] and antinuclear antibodies [72] have been detected in a proportion of such individuals [104].
In vitro assessments of SARS-CoV-2’s superantigen-like region may not capture the full physiological effect on the immune system in vivo. For example, lipopolysaccharide (LPS) can potentiate the SEB superantigen effect [105], which could have a synergistic effect on T cells following gut inflammation or injury via LPS translocation [106,107].
SARS-CoV-2 is known to infect gut epithelial cells [108], persist in the gut [79,109,110] and disrupt tight junctions in bronchial epithelial barriers [111]. Indeed, hospitalized non-survivors of SARS-CoV-2 infection had increased LPS detected in blood [112]. While SARS-CoV-2 may not be canonically superantigenic in vitro, the in vivo consequences may be significant due to other danger and death signals [113].
With evidence mounting that SARS-CoV-2 reactivates latent viruses such as Epstein–Barr Virus [114], cytomegalovirus [115,116] and human endogenous retrovirus [36], which are associated with superantigen expression [31,69,117,118,119], it is important to establish whether SARS-CoV-2 is a superantigen or triggering second-order superantigenic responses in susceptible individuals.

Some countries seem willing to tolerate high levels of infection provided their healthcare systems can cope. This approach is predicated on the belief a level of protective population immunity can be achieved and sustained, and the impact of reinfections will be less severe [120]. If SARS-CoV-2 contains a superantigen, superantigen-like protein or triggers a superantigenic host response, this strategy may prove a grave error. The effect of a superantigen is dependent on dose exposure, genetic predisposition, environmental conditions and immune response [6,7,12,62].
There is evidence the toxic effects of superantigens can be inhibited by specific antibodies but protection conferred seems to depend on antibody titer and exposure dose [121]. Recent evidence of a reduction in MIS-C following vaccination supports the protective role of antibodies in preventing a clinical manifestation of a superantigen or superantigen-like infection [122]; however, in the context of waning antibody titers seen following vaccination against [123] or infection [124] by SARS-CoV-2, and ongoing evolution of the virus [125], the impact of repeat exposure may be unpredictable.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/12/211230130944.htm

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/04/23/1023438/long-term-covid-antibodies-autoantibodies-immunity-cytokines-lupus/

science people posted:

in the end, Heath thinks that what we call long covid may well turn out to be more than one disorder caused by the initial infection. “For sure, your immune system is activating against something,” he says. “And whether it’s activating itself or not, which is the difference between autoimmune and something else, is an open question. It’s probably different in different people.”

Luning Prak agrees that the cause of long covid may well be different in different patients.

“What could be causing long covid? Well, one possibility is you have viral injury and you have residual damage from that,” she says. “Another possibility is that you have autoimmunity.” She adds, “A third possibility is some type of chronic infection; they just don’t completely clear the virus and it allows the virus to kind of chronically set up shop somehow. That’s a really scary and creepy idea for which we have very little evidence.” And, she says, all three might turn out to be true.

:gas::pwn::gas:

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Dr. Furious posted:

This is a gross simplification that ignores how the thymus changes with age, not to mention how individual t cells alter function as they age.

Okay. So what?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zeriel posted:

what are you ta-

lking about

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It means they don’t grow back as efficiently as you are suggesting, especially if a person gets reinfected too often

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

So your conclusion that depletion of t cells is not a concern is based on poor assumptions about their behavior and thus possibly inaccurate.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Zugzwang posted:

Something really cool about America is that our system allows for two flavors of everything. We have a cola that represents classic Americana, and a second one that’s the choice of a new generation, so everybody gets to enjoy a cola!

Similarly, you can have a guy who hates experts, and a guy who loves experts, and they both get to have exactly the number of experts they want telling them not to protect themselves against a pandemic that is fairly likely to injure them permanently.

We have something for everybody!

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Zugzwang posted:

It means they don’t grow back as efficiently as you are suggesting, especially if a person gets reinfected too often

It means your immune system gets weaker as you age. No poo poo. And a further no poo poo to my response being a simplification, it was barely two sentences.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just buy more t cells with ur stimulus money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

why should anyone give a gently caress what airline ceos have to say about international health policy