Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So there's a weird Ibanez/Jackson frankensteined body/neck on local cl with no hardware or electronics for $50

Good idea/bad idea?

Only downside is that it's hsh routed and not pick guard but little covers for humbucker routs to let you put single coils there without a visible hole exist right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Seymour Duncan makes P90s that fit in humbucker slots, called Phat Cats. I have them in a couple guitars, and they're pretty nice. There are probably other similar options.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gorgar posted:

Seymour Duncan makes P90s that fit in humbucker slots, called Phat Cats. I have them in a couple guitars, and they're pretty nice. There are probably other similar options.

Gibson do a good one - The P94

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/humbucker-pickups/gibson-p94r-neck-pickup

Shop around though

Loller make a really really nice one

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=265&Category_Code=humbucker-pickups

Not the cheapest but very nice

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

So there's a weird Ibanez/Jackson frankensteined body/neck on local cl with no hardware or electronics for $50

Good idea/bad idea?

Only downside is that it's hsh routed and not pick guard but little covers for humbucker routs to let you put single coils there without a visible hole exist right?

You could just get a pickguard with single coil cut outs and screw holes maybe? What lurks beneath can stay hidden

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Shugojin posted:

Good idea/bad idea?

They exist, though they aren't the prettiest things out there. Guitar fetish makes a few and they're the cheapest option unless you want to scrounge ebay: Humbucker Rout adapter ring.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 5, 2016

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

unlawfulsoup posted:

edit; totally misread acoustic electric

Taylor is my favorite, be sure to check them out. You can probably get an American made used or a Mexican made new one. You can also find starter Martin, Takamines etc. in that range. Taylors across the board have half decent electronics built in and Martins with electronics seem to be decent as well. The whole thing is going to be preference, so I would just go out and play every guitar you can in your range.

peter gabriel posted:

I went from a crappy Fender (seriously Fender, wtf) too.
I found myself needing a 'proper' acoustic, tried dozens and the Martin DRS1 blew everything in that price point away, for me - actually the small Taylors are great too, they were in the running.
It's got a deep and mellow sound that comes from the sapelle (mahogany species) body. It feels alive in your hands compared to the Fender. I understand why people have a guitar mean something to them now with this, it's 'mine'.
A bunch of my buddies have the Taylor Mini and they are cool as well, but overall opinion is that the Martin is just a bit special. The idea behind it is they ditched all the binding and frills so they could make a guitar body out of real wood for this price. The fretboard is richlite, which depending on who you ask is the best thing or worst thing ever. I like it, feels like ebony and won't warp.
Electrics are Fishmans, no tuner but I don't mind that. No knobs outside the guitar (they are tucked in the soundhole) so it looks like a straight up acoustic.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/road-series/drs1/

I'll never get rid of this, and I've now played five gigs with it, across the board people want it, which is really nice and reassures me that I made a good choice.

Thanks for the responses guys! A dread style may be too big for my tiny frame but I will check those out.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 5, 2016

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Vorenus posted:

Thanks for the responses guys! A dread style may be too big for my tiny frame but I will check those out.

Keep in mind I'm a total newb ( not quite a year into actually trying/playing regularly ) and so don't know poo poo about poo poo, especially when it comes to things like tone, but I upgraded from what I used to think was a great plain acoustic to a Yamaha APX500III ( http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-ac-guitars/apx/apx500iii/ ) acoustic electric and it blows my loving mind how good it sounds.

I'm sure Taylors and Martins are way way beyond better but for $300 CDN (what I paid at a local shop - although Amazon has them for $300 USD, and Yamaha direct has them at $465 USD :confused: ) it sounds loving awesome. I find I play it more than the $1k Schecter V I lusted after for so long just because it sounds SO good, whether it's plugged in or not.

The other bonus is that it's a "Thinline" so it's probably half or at least 3/4 the thickness/depth of my old full size acoustic so it doesn't feel like you're trying to play a barrel on your lap. I never had an issue really with the old one being too big as I'm not a small guy but it did FEEL big. I worried that maybe because it's so thin the acoustics wouldn't sound as good but obviously Yamaha has done some sort of wizardry to make it work because it sounds very good and very loud.

I don't know what the consensus on Yamaha's is though, or how long it will last. But I like it. :unsmith:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 5, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vorenus posted:

The Martin I have is a small dread, you can see the size next to a dude here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WxNht8Bl8

I didn't want a big guitar either, for convenience sake.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

On top of these, guitarfetish makes nice and affordable bucker-sized p90s with the dream 90s and mean 90s.

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 5, 2016

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm just leaving the music store and they have a Taylor 210se used for 800 that I loved and also a Taylor mini e for 6 or 700 and that rosewood 210 is sounding pretty good. I tried the DRS and it
Just felt big for me

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Nice jamming links guys, thanks - I'm aware of how to play in key and what some general progressions are, it just seems that those used by clappy and fartstain are a bit over the place. If it's a case of premeditating some chord progressions then I'll just have to do that.

Anyway, I had a 4h drive today and so listened to some of the 'No Guitar is Safe' podcasts and I was blown away, specifically this one by Nita Strauss: http://www.guitarplayer.com/news/1024/nita-strauss-rocks-out-on-the-no-guitar-is-safe-podcast/54441 . Really, it's so nice to hear someone talk and those guys just play and have fun: sure it might be selection bias because everyone involved has bona fide 'made it' but everything is just so NICE. If you check out the other podcasts with Satriani or Greg Howe it's the same thing: they're all so positive about playing, practising, wood-shedding - gear is a bonus, there's no snobbery or backbiting or even the faintest echo of the word 'scene'. I can heartily recommend it.

I also decided to bid on a Rode NT-USB to mic up my Orange Crush 2x12 instead of a THR10/SM57 so we'll see how that pans out, but I DID buy an MXR 5150 - between the Orange Drive channel + TS, the JHS Andy Timmons and this I think I've got all my gain sounds covered for the foreseeable future.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Vorenus posted:

I'm just leaving the music store and they have a Taylor 210se used for 800 that I loved and also a Taylor mini e for 6 or 700 and that rosewood 210 is sounding pretty good. I tried the DRS and it
Just felt big for me

I have a 214ce and it is my favorite acoustic guitar period, I liked the feel of 210s but I need that cutaway. :D

I would try to talk them down, because you can get a new 210 for that price. Also make sure it comes with the bag, Taylor makes a nice travel bag.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Nice jamming links guys, thanks - I'm aware of how to play in key and what some general progressions are, it just seems that those used by clappy and fartstain are a bit over the place. If it's a case of premeditating some chord progressions then I'll just have to do that.

They write stuff before they go on camera, they've mentioned it a few times.
Just a riff that goes from G to E to A will do, Lee is actually a stealthy good blues player, he's come on a lot since the early days and Rob is a proper trained muso so he can handle pretty much whatever.
Check out their earliest vids though and the real truth comes out - These days they know each other so well it's instinctive, they weren't like that early on.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

TY I have this feeling where when I'm jamming that I'm just hanging around on the same progression too long - I guess having an A/B section to go between would be cool.

Speaking of which, I've got a teacher who is really good, or rather, he seems good - he's prepared, has folders of coursework for me (no doubt from a central source, but I stopped lessons with him for over 2y and he kept my info and we picked right back up). He spends the time teaching me increasingly difficult techniques and we've gone over theory, rhythm, etc. and it's all good. Right now he's got me going over the neck with some tapping and it's all good. I feel however, that I should direct him -- like, 'what I want to be'. The issue is, 'what I want to be' started off as 'not a giant gently caress-up on the guitar' and now it's like: "I want to have rhythm like Bettencourt, speed like Yngwie, phrasing like Vai and vibrato like Becker."

How do I know what I want to want to know?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

How do I know what I want to want to know?

Whatever you find fun!

It means gently caress all if the end result isn't something fun and cool

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Buy guitar, play Yngwie

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've been trying to get the sweeps from Demon Driver up to speed for like a month and I think I'm just too old for these wizard tricks. I'm definitely better at drawing owls though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Side Effects posted:

They exist, though they aren't the prettiest things out there. Guitar fetish makes a few and they're the cheapest option unless you want to scrounge ebay: Humbucker Rout adapter ring.

That'll do

I wanna stick sinners in this bad boy I don't care how it looks I just need to make sure I can get the bridge angled properly :getin:

e: He just got back to me, I spent more money on my car to pass inspection than I wanted to to start a project but he's not in town till my next paycheck anyway so IT WAS MEANT TO BE

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 6, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This might be better for the podcast forum, but does anyone have any good suggestions on budget webcams for the purpose of doing videos of guitar covers? Ideally it'd be at least 30fps at 1080 and around $70 tops.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Buy guitar, play Yngwie

While trying to organise where I'm going to move all my crap into my home studio (see below for video shooting in the main bedroom) I had Trilogy and Rising Force on in the background, does that count? :)

Spanish Manlove posted:

This might be better for the podcast forum, but does anyone have any good suggestions on budget webcams for the purpose of doing videos of guitar covers? Ideally it'd be at least 30fps at 1080 and around $70 tops.
Why a webcam? If you're using premiere/etc. it can't capture video directly and you have to record and then import. I had this old camera lying around: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-DSC-...5sAAOSwtnpXnj4I and used it to shoot this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK6XWNtzU3E

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm making an assumption here that you have a suitable one, but why not a monopod/similar for your smartphone? They're not very pricey

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm making an assumption here that you have a suitable one, but why not a monopod/similar for your smartphone? They're not very pricey

I have an iphone 4s, will that work?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Had a function gig with a ska band tonight, doing half Studio One and half Two Tone material. Took it on the grounds that all ska songs are basically identical with a few rhythmic variations, so it would be a nice, easy way to get back into doing blind reading gigs.

Turns out that counting constant quarter note offbeats for 120 bars at a time is actually more tiring than I thought. Only dropped one major clam, but I recovered pretty well and band leader seemed not to notice until I mentioned it. Rough, rough gig though; some wedding in a little industrial town shithole that ended up with us taking bets on whether the first fight would be between ladies or guys.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have an iphone 4s, will that work?

Looks like it does 1080p at 30fps so worth a go i reckon

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Alright I'm super hype for this project guitar so I've been checking out hardware etc.

Gonna do Sinners for sure.

Bridge has some options, probably. Gonna need to measure the rout to be sure but:

- Floyd Rose original or ebay up an Edge Pro? Assuming it's the standard Edge III you find on most RG bodies either is a drop-in replacement (secret 3rd option: just ebay an edge iii and deal with it until i can swing the $360 for a shiny new edge pro)
- Figure out whichever locking nut I need for the neck, another measurement thing

And that just leaves:

- What the gently caress tuners do I get, this probably requires measurements too but ????

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 7, 2016

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Anybody know any good resources / websites / books / exercises about country/bluegrass style fingerpicking?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Alright I'm super hype for this project guitar so I've been checking out hardware etc.

Gonna do Sinners for sure.

Bridge has some options, probably. Gonna need to measure the rout to be sure but:

- Floyd Rose original or ebay up an Edge Pro? Assuming it's the standard Edge III you find on most RG bodies either is a drop-in replacement (secret 3rd option: just ebay an edge iii and deal with it until i can swing the $360 for a shiny new edge pro)
- Figure out whichever locking nut I need for the neck, another measurement thing

And that just leaves:

- What the gently caress tuners do I get, this probably requires measurements too but ????

If you have a locking nut tuners don't really matter much other than if they can smoothly get it up to pitch.
Just get some decent sealed tuners in whatever finish you like.
I've used the ones guitar fetish sells on a few projects and they work fine.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So I've finally decided, come hell or high water, that it's finally time for a baritone of my own for this prog metally electronic poo poo I do, and come hell or high water, I'm gonna get one. I've got an eye on an affordable epiphone from Craigslist for dipping my feet, and my main question now is what pickups to replace the stock ones with.

I've got an instrument in standard tuning that I built with l-500s that i love to bits, and my workhorse metal guitar has SD Blackouts, which are fine, but not as dynamic as I'd like in an ideal world (or maybe they're just very hot).

I've been looking at the SD Pegasus/sentient a bit, and I've heard good things about some of the bare knuckle models, but narrowing things down is tricky. I suppose I could order another set of L-500s, but I don't really want to wait the half year it might take for them to arrive, and what's the point of having lots of guitars if they're all the same?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I think I'm getting decent at this singing thing. Having a microphone and funneling my own voice to myself via headphones has really helped me correct some issues I was having trouble detecting.

Ughhhh nothing like staying up til 3 am taking shots and learning new songs on the guitar, I never imagined I'd be able to just "learn" an entire song in minutes (obvs fine tuning it and mastering it takes much, much longer). I'm wiped at work but so worth it.

I was messing around with some Toh Kay songs, which work surprisingly well considering that the source material is initially from a big ska band with horns. Maybe the songwriter wrote the acustic versions first? Who knows but this poo poo is so my jam.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Hey Thread, thanks for introducing me to Bob Log III, last night's show was loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA3YJjRikkA

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I made the (stupid) mistake of saving up a bunch of money for a particular guitar (Yngwie Strat) without playing it, and after actually demoing one in the store, I hate it. (Not the scalloping, which I kind of liked, but after playing Ibanez for a few years I can't go back to a strat neck profile/nut width.) I did discover, however, that I *really* like the necks on Jacksons -- but the fretwork on the new indonesian models that I tried was mediocre at best, and I'm hesitant to buy a guitar that will immediately need a few hundred dollars in work. Can anyone speak to the general quality of the (now discontinued?) MIJ Jacksons? I can't find any in a local store so I'd have to buy sight unseen, but if they're in par with Ibanez's MIJ quality then I think I'd feel OK buying blind.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

They're pretty solid. I had a MIJ Dinky that could have used a sliiiiiiightly better job of filing but it wasn't like it was uncomfortable on the edges, just noticeable. Haven't played with a MIJ Ibanez though so I dunno about that comparison.

Electronics were mediocre EMG-HZs that I wasn't all about but with a pair of DiMarzios it got much better.

e: :hfive: Jackson neck buddy

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

KingSlime posted:

Ughhhh nothing like staying up til 3 am taking shots and learning new songs on the guitar, I never imagined I'd be able to just "learn" an entire song in minutes (obvs fine tuning it and mastering it takes much, much longer). I'm wiped at work but so worth it.

Yeah how does this work? I've got a lot of medical problems that's made remembering and practising regularly a bit difficult but I've been working off and on on a few tracks with my tutor for at least a year and still can't remember them without tabs.

Then this past week I start trying to learn Uncle Acid's Melody Lane all by myself and I've nearly got it memorised. Apart from the solo which intimidates the hell out of me.

How can some pieces be so easy while others, that are kinda similar, be a real ball ache to learn properly?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh if I'm singing as well I usually stick to strumming chords (for now), it's a lot easier to learn a few chords on the spot! It also really helps when bands stick to the same chord progressions within an album, as you usually get most of the "vocabulary" you need for that album from just a few songs.

As far as memorizing melody lines, tbh nothing works better than repetition. Play the song until you know it, then play it until it's muscle memory and you're just "feeling" your way through the track. Then play it some more just for the hell of it. Then you'll know it by heart, probably.

It's not unlike learning lyrics really well. I just need to ram my head against it, over and over again, til it sticks. If your practice time is limited, I'd probably focus on productive, meaningful sessions (for me that's practicing the hard, tedious poo poo I don't fully have down) to maximize the time.

Maybe other people have different tips to offer! I'm pretty new to this (2 years singing/guitar-ing, was a drummer for a long time before I decided I wanted glory too).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm incredibly hype for this frankenguitar project I'm undertaking

enough that I already committed to a decent condition used edge pro tremolo and BK sinners for it

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Whenever I'm trying to learn a song I run through it in my head--this chord, then that chord, then that chord, etc., focusing on what my left hand would be doing--while I'm walking or whatever.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Verizian posted:

Yeah how does this work? I've got a lot of medical problems that's made remembering and practising regularly a bit difficult but I've been working off and on on a few tracks with my tutor for at least a year and still can't remember them without tabs.

Then this past week I start trying to learn Uncle Acid's Melody Lane all by myself and I've nearly got it memorised. Apart from the solo which intimidates the hell out of me.

How can some pieces be so easy while others, that are kinda similar, be a real ball ache to learn properly?

I don't have anything to back it up, but I feel like working songs out by yourself really cements them in your mind. I don't know if it's the active learning process, or the fact you end up playing it and understanding the structure in ways that make the most sense to you (because you came up with it) but I always find stuff easier to play and remember that way. Tabs or even a tutor are someone else's process, their approach just might not click and you're not putting in the same work to get to know the song

You can still analyse a thing even when you know how to play it though, that's like getting to know it better. The more angles you can look at it from (the basic key, how this bit relates to scale degrees or intervals, what actual notes you're playing, what's in a chord and how it relates to the melody etc) the better your chances of some of it sticking. Banging your head against a song while you plink away over a loop trying to pick out what you're doing wrong is a good way to throw yourself into it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Gnumonic posted:

I made the (stupid) mistake of saving up a bunch of money for a particular guitar (Yngwie Strat) without playing it, and after actually demoing one in the store, I hate it. (Not the scalloping, which I kind of liked, but after playing Ibanez for a few years I can't go back to a strat neck profile/nut width.) I did discover, however, that I *really* like the necks on Jacksons -- but the fretwork on the new indonesian models that I tried was mediocre at best, and I'm hesitant to buy a guitar that will immediately need a few hundred dollars in work. Can anyone speak to the general quality of the (now discontinued?) MIJ Jacksons? I can't find any in a local store so I'd have to buy sight unseen, but if they're in par with Ibanez's MIJ quality then I think I'd feel OK buying blind.

MIJ Jacksons are sick. The MIJ DK2M was probably one of the best deals ever available in the guitar industry while it was in production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I have an old Pro series neck with reverse fin inlays on a DK2M body. It's rad as heck.