Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Bit into one, was hit by the pungent taste of horseradish that was then followed up by a mild aftertaste of cheddar. Love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ChocNitty posted:

There was a huge coin convention in Long Beach last weekend, so I picked up a few pieces.

The difference in size is symbolic of how his legacy grew.

I thought the difference in size was because one tetradachm is worth 4 drachmae?

e: :thesperg:

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Jun 14, 2017

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ziv Zulander posted:

Bit into one, was hit by the pungent taste of horseradish that was then followed up by a mild aftertaste of cheddar. Love them.

damnit, i need these, never seen em around tho.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Inzombiac posted:

I've been looking for a leather jacket with quilted shoulders for a long time now.
I finally found one but it's from a company that seems to make costumes and I don't think they are legit.

ALLSAINTS does a pretty cool one that I've owned and loved for a bit now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Guessing: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/german-army-trainer-shoes-gat-military-surplus-like-new?a=2051741

chitoryu12, report back. I'm curious whether you get a nice pair or a trashed one.

That is correct! Haven't gotten them yet, but so far Sportsman's Guide hasn't steered me wrong. The only issue I run into is their European clothes often run at least 1 size smaller than the stated size, so make sure to buy large.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ziv Zulander posted:

These are hands down my favorite chips. They have them a Marshall's near us and my wife usually snags a few bags if she's there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ChocNitty posted:

There was a huge coin convention in Long Beach last weekend, so I picked up a few pieces.

Left one was struck during Alexanders lifetime. Right one, many years later. The difference in size is symbolic of how his legacy grew. Love the countermark on the right one. Many reasons why coins were countermarked like that. It's quite worn, so it definitely passed through many ancient romans hands and pockets.

As a history type this stuff is awesome, especially the wonderful condition of the coins. Would you mind posting the prices? I'm assuming I couldn't afford things like these, especially because no one I know would ever want to see them so they'd sit in a box.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ChocNitty posted:

Left one was struck during Alexanders lifetime. Right one, many years later. The difference in size is symbolic of how his legacy grew. Love the countermark on the right one. Many reasons why coins were countermarked like that. It's quite worn, so it definitely passed through many ancient romans hands and pockets.

I'm putting together a series of villainous emperors. The one on the left is Joaquin Phoenix from Gladiator. The emperor on the right, you gotta wikipedia him to read about what he did. Now i'm looking for a reasonably priced Nero, and Caligula.

I got this one because it was big, beautiful, and was a good price since its not an emperor coin.

Trying to learn this stuff. The jewelers loop is good to use so I can pretend I know what i'm doing, while I learn how to attribute coins.

For those of us not made of money bags there is a thread for less glamorous stuff.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810585

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
couldn't find those awesome chips so settled on these, and they are pretty tasty:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Subjunctive posted:

I've always heard of pork burnt ends being from the butt -- does the belly render out fully enough? That's very interesting!

Oh yeah, if you have patience and time. Turns into buttery bacon-steak and it's incredible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh yeah, if you have patience and time. Turns into buttery bacon-steak and it's incredible.

Well then.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Copy of the Nirvana CD-EP, "Hormoaning"

Growing up, I was a huge fan of Nirvana. I used to skip school and go rummaging through the record stores in Harvard Square (Cambridge, MA) to find Nirvana bootleg live cassettes, import singles/EPs, 45's etc. I was able to buy a few, here and there, but there was one I never got and always wanted. I saw the "Hormoaning" EP back in '93, but it was 20 something bucks for an EP, and I was 13 and broke, so I didn't buy it. Not getting it then has been a great regret of mine, and something I thought about for a long time. Took me 24 years, but I finally got it.

This is the Japanese version of the EP, which is far more common (and counterfeited) than the Australian version, which is all but impossible to get. Happily, this is the version I remember. I was able to verify its authenticity, and am really happy to have this relic of my past in my grubby clutches.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

I've been looking for a leather jacket with quilted shoulders for a long time now.
I finally found one but it's from a company that seems to make costumes and I don't think they are legit.

I got my leather jacket from these very nice folks when I lived in the area, they may have quilted leather but it's hard to tell from my phone:

http://mdleathergoods.com/search.php?search_query=Quilted&x=0&y=0

Local places are usually the spot, no local leatherworkers or anything like that?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm fairly certain you can get a Belstaff Trialmaster with quilted shoulders. It's waxed cotton, not leather, but personally I think that's better.

They do make a leather version, but it wouldn't have quilted shoulders, I think.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

betterinsodapop posted:

Copy of the Nirvana CD-EP, "Hormoaning"

Growing up, I was a huge fan of Nirvana. I used to skip school and go rummaging through the record stores in Harvard Square (Cambridge, MA) to find Nirvana bootleg live cassettes, import singles/EPs, 45's etc. I was able to buy a few, here and there, but there was one I never got and always wanted. I saw the "Hormoaning" EP back in '93, but it was 20 something bucks for an EP, and I was 13 and broke, so I didn't buy it. Not getting it then has been a great regret of mine, and something I thought about for a long time. Took me 24 years, but I finally got it.

This is the Japanese version of the EP, which is far more common (and counterfeited) than the Australian version, which is all but impossible to get. Happily, this is the version I remember. I was able to verify its authenticity, and am really happy to have this relic of my past in my grubby clutches.

I'm seeing Heart Shaped Box in July. They're a Nirvana tribute band by the Puddle of Mudd guitarist/singer that makes a big deal of using authentic equipment to replicate the old concerts.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ReidRansom posted:

I'm fairly certain you can get a Belstaff Trialmaster with quilted shoulders. It's waxed cotton, not leather, but personally I think that's better.

They do make a leather version, but it wouldn't have quilted shoulders, I think.

I was going to suggest the Belstaff Mojave myself. The fact that it's waxed cotton makes the prices even harder to swallow, but that's the power of the brand for you.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Trabant posted:

I was going to suggest the Belstaff Mojave myself. The fact that it's waxed cotton makes the prices even harder to swallow, but that's the power of the brand for you.

Yeah Belstaff prices are why I wear a vintage Barbour

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

As a history type this stuff is awesome, especially the wonderful condition of the coins. Would you mind posting the prices? I'm assuming I couldn't afford things like these, especially because no one I know would ever want to see them so they'd sit in a box.

Since these coins are surprisingly not all that rare, values are based on the quality and grade of the coin.

This lifetime issue just sold for $130:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252978711696?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or an posthumous one thats larger, or prettier. Or a coin from an unremarkable emperor like Gordian III, where you're paying for the coin itself, and not the backstory or the clout.

But bronze coins are just as interesting and historic and can be had for the price of a movie ticket. See below.

LingcodKilla posted:

For those of us not made of money bags there is a thread for less glamorous stuff.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810585

The goon running that thread is a genius when it comes to ancient coins. He knows his stuff more than many established coin dealers. Very trustworthy and friendly, and not at all condescending like some knowledgeable coin collectors.

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Jun 15, 2017

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm seeing Heart Shaped Box in July. They're a Nirvana tribute band by the Puddle of Mudd guitarist/singer that makes a big deal of using authentic equipment to replicate the old concerts.
I confess to not being a Puddle of Mudd fan, but that's pretty neat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

betterinsodapop posted:

I confess to not being a Puddle of Mudd fan, but that's pretty neat.

I've never listened to their music, but my friend has never been to a proper concert (she's been to 3 concerts for people like Justin Bieber and Billy Joel, regular arena rock/pop where you're 300 feet from the stage and watching the singer on a screen). I'm taking her "in a crowd in a dark room getting blasted by speakers and splashed beer" virginity.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

chitoryu12 posted:

"in a crowd in a dark room getting blasted by speakers and splashed beer"

This was me with Electric Six. Every single time. No regrets.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aramek posted:

This was me with Electric Six. Every single time. No regrets.

I was at The Social in Orlando on Tuesday. The Birthday Massacre, with Sumo Cyco and Army of the Universe opening. Sumo Cyco included the singer (Skye Sweetnam, of The Barbie Diaries and various Disney and Nickelodeon cartoon theme songs) and the guitarist performing from on top of the bar at different periods, plus her having the guitarist give her a piggy back ride through "Fighter". When The Birthday Massacre performed, Chibi and Rainbow spent pretty much the whole concert messing with the front row or each other. At one point she stole a girl's hat off her head to wear for part of a song.

Army of the Universe is pure Eurotrash, though. I felt like I was in an early 2000s German nightclub, with a sweaty shirtless Italian man singing about partying in 1999 next to a dude with a keytar.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Impulse buy.

One of 400 "Anniversary Edition" Steyr AUG rifles. I plan to fire it wantonly while yelling I WANT BLOOOOOD!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

This isn't the AUG thread tho :downsrim:

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

ReidRansom posted:

This isn't the AUG thread tho :downsrim:

Is there even an active AUG thread after the last one got shut down by a picture of Chelsea Manning?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ya, it's back.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trabant posted:

There is no way in the world that I would pay $600+ for a jacket. Good God.
There are a ton of vintage stores in my area that have racks and racks of leather jackets but most of them are heavy, cracked biker jackets or light brown affairs with foot-long lapels.

This is where I found the exact style I want:
https://www.black-leatherjacket.com/mens-quilted-shoulder-leather-jacket

That site looks shady as fuuuuuuck.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Don't get me wrong: the Belstaff prices are absolutely out to lunch, esp. since the one I mentioned is not even leather.

Buuut, a quality leather jacket can cost a lot of money, so prepare your wallet. I once absolutely jumped at the chance to get a closeout Schott jacket at $300. Even if that site wasn't just a front to get your cc info stolen, what you'll get for $189 will probably be very... short-lived.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You don't have to spend $600+, but if you buy crap you're going to be disappointed and end up replacing it and spending more in the long run. And seconding don't buy from that site. Looks shady as gently caress and is going to be absolute poo poo quality.

Here's a guaranteed much better (maybe NOS?) jacket that isn't too expensive

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Totally. I'm comfortable spending in the $300 zone.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Meth Syndicate has these in stock until Sunday since someone was ripping off his design. As a fan of Taylor Swift and heavy metal, it's exactly my poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Coffee And Pie posted:

Meth Syndicate has these in stock until Sunday since someone was ripping off his design. As a fan of Taylor Swift and heavy metal, it's exactly my poo poo.
I saw this and immediately knew I had to have it, so this is now my most recent purchase too :f5:

Also since I'm posting this I might as well post that I'm getting a ticket to see Run the Jewels for the 4th time in the morning.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I got a ticket for RTJ in London, it'll be the first time for me!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Their popularity is so wired to me as back in the day elp was generally considered to be the weakest rapper on his label.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bongwizzard posted:

Their popularity is so wired to me as back in the day elp was generally considered to be the weakest rapper on his label.
El-P rules, Killer Mike rules, El-P's production rules. Hope this helps.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah their popularity is really weird, it's weird that they are two talented rappers who have marketed themselves really well and produce rad music so weird right???

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
no it's just that bongwizard is a better rapper than either of the guys in RTJ so it's naturally very weird to him that they are experiencing enormous critical and commercial success while he sits and posts about it on the Something Awful Forums.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Actually my point was that most people I knew back then preferred the other def jux guys to elp, so it is weird to me that he, years latter, got famous when most of his labelmates never did.

Like, if you hand asked me back then who was gonna get huge it would have been Mr Lif or Vast Arie.

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jun 16, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

El Producto has been around forever and only has 3 studio albums so yeah it's sort of odd that he became so huge. It's great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
After owning a lovely stock HP I bought from Best Buy literally 10 years ago I saved up enough to buy brand new stuff.

GeForce 1070
i7-7700 CPU
16gig ram
New super cool looking motherboard

And this case here

Slammed an SSD in that bad boy too, can't believe I didn't upgrade to that poo poo ages ago. Windows used to load in like 3 minutes now I'm booted up in 20 seconds.