Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You know, I was starting to think that BES12 was a good product. They've come so far since BES5.

Boy, was I wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone have advice on how to get a new wiki rolling?
Like, not from a tech standpoint, but to get people to start writing stuff.

So far I made a front page with stuff like:

[Network] covers all network related topics: [DNS], [VLANs], [F5s], [Firewalls], when to use them and how to submit requests.

Do you think it'd be worthwhile to say "While we're getting started, don't worry about formatting, don't worry about being organized. Just try to put down information in a relevant article so that the information is there!"

Or should I emphasize keeping things neat from the beginning?

Just not sure how to put some oomfph into this.
Don't be a gatekeeper before things actually start to get disorganized. If people are making GBS threads half-assed documents everywhere, that's still better than nothing as long as the documentation is correct. You don't want to discourage people from documenting because they don't want to deal with bikeshedding conversations about how to organize and structure and name things. When you can point to an actual problem, it's easy to get buy-in on organization.

Feel free to put forth best practices, but let people figure out a way of using the system that works for them. Most communications systems work because of emergent behavior and good cultures that want to communicate well, not up-front design.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You know, I was starting to think that BES12 was a good product. They've come so far since BES5.
Isn't Blackberry dead yet?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Isn't Blackberry dead yet?

Their phones basically are. BES is still used all over the place though, and they bought Good.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

This. We have been short on mid-senior level engineers since I stared almost a year ago. Most candidates are really heavy in storage (really?) or were just script monkey admins are very big companies that fell apart when I asked open ended problem solving questions.

And I agree that putting skills and experience on your resume that you don't have is an excellent way to be dismissed from an interview. A few months ago a guy had something like "Objective-C" on his skills list and I asked him if it was for Mac OS X or iOS and he said 'Oh, I just want to learn it.'. I replied 'Then you might not want to list it as 'proficient' if you haven't touched it.

I'm dying to get another guy into help because I am burning out and can't take time off without being called in for some sort of issue or arbitrary deadline. However, it seems the pool for mid-senior systems engineers in Chicago is terrible, and I know we don't pay that well either, so I'm pretty much SOL for the time being.

We are having the same issues in Chicago. We've been searching for a Senior DevOps engineer for almost a year, and we've had no success as of yet. I think we've seen around a dozen people and at this point I'm tempted to go lower and grab someone thats junior that we can mould into what we want.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

mayodreams posted:

This. We have been short on mid-senior level engineers since I stared almost a year ago. Most candidates are really heavy in storage (really?) or were just script monkey admins are very big companies that fell apart when I asked open ended problem solving questions.

You didn't ask the dreaded "How many golf balls fit into a 747?" question?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 5, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vulture Culture posted:

Don't be a gatekeeper before things actually start to get disorganized. If people are making GBS threads half-assed documents everywhere, that's still better than nothing as long as the documentation is correct. You don't want to discourage people from documenting because they don't want to deal with bikeshedding conversations about how to organize and structure and name things. When you can point to an actual problem, it's easy to get buy-in on organization.

Feel free to put forth best practices, but let people figure out a way of using the system that works for them. Most communications systems work because of emergent behavior and good cultures that want to communicate well, not up-front design.

Yeah, I'm thinking of emphasizing that if you want to contribute information, just put it in there and you helped. If you want to contribute by organizing other work, that's great too.

I'm working on a "How can I help?" article.

I've got some different types of contribution listed:

1. Tag existing content that needs elaboration: [Network] covers all network related topics: DNS, VLANs, F5s, Firewalls, when to use them and how to submit requests. --> [Network] covers all network related topics: [DNS], [VLANs], [F5s], [Firewalls], when to use them and how to submit requests.
2. Write stub statements (like the one above.) You don't need to write the [Network] article. Just write the basic explanation of what you'd like to see an article become, and other people will eventually do it for you.
3. Use the "Note Board" to add comments or questions to a page if you have a suggestion but aren't sure if you should just go ahead and make the change.
4. Organize existing content. Make it look good! Structure it into sections and put relevant content in logical chunks
5. Take an existing documented procedure, upload the pictures and write it out as a wiki article.
6. Add new content to an existing article.
7. Write a new article from scratch, adding everything you think is important for someone who wants to learn about the topic.
8. All of the above!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tab8715 posted:

You didn't ask the dreaded "How many golf balls fit into a 747?" question?

I stay away from the cliche questions like that.

Since I am not a developer/dev ops guy, we were chatting about interview questions at the office and I had never heard of fizz/buzz. Apparently, a surprising number of applicants can't do it, and I was able to at least psuedo code it out based on my undergrad Atmel/C programming like 10 years ago.

One of my favorite questions is "Tell me about the most difficult problem or issue you solved, and how you came to a resolution'.

Inexperienced candidates will not have a story, or it won't be impressive. A good candidate will normally light up and be excited about it and will be more at ease talking shop rather than the normal canned interview questions and logic questions.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Twlight posted:

We are having the same issues in Chicago. We've been searching for a Senior DevOps engineer for almost a year, and we've had no success as of yet. I think we've seen around a dozen people and at this point I'm tempted to go lower and grab someone thats junior that we can mould into what we want.

I recommend going headhunting. Odds are people with the skillset you want aren't actively looking for jobs. We have a hard time filling positions that require a specialized skillset and we've had good luck actively reaching out to already employed people with those skills and talking to them about new opportunities. It's not cheap, but the market for skilled people isn't cheap right now either. Paying someone an extra 20K a year though is nothing when the release of a 200 million dollar product line is dependent on the software the team they would be on would write.

You've got to go out and find the candidates you want, not sit back and wait for someone to fall in your lap.

Or you can try to find someone you think you can turn into the candidate you want. We just did that with a position we filled, young smart guy without the skills we wanted, but taking a chance he can get up to speed pretty quickly with our support and some training. Problem is keeping that person once you invest in them. HR has to be willing to pay them when they do work out.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

I recommend going headhunting. Odds are people with the skillset you want aren't actively looking for jobs. We have a hard time filling positions that require a specialized skillset and we've had good luck actively reaching out to already employed people with those skills and talking to them about new opportunities. It's not cheap, but the market for skilled people isn't cheap right now either. Paying someone an extra 20K a year though is nothing when the release of a 200 million dollar product line is dependent on the software the team they would be on would write.

You've got to go out and find the candidates you want, not sit back and wait for someone to fall in your lap.

Or you can try to find someone you think you can turn into the candidate you want. We just did that with a position we filled, young smart guy without the skills we wanted, but taking a chance he can get up to speed pretty quickly with our support and some training. Problem is keeping that person once you invest in them. HR has to be willing to pay them when they do work out.

Thats an interesting approach, I always shy away from reaching out to people over linked in but maybe I should do more of that. I know our recruiting department is having trouble finding good candidates, thanks for the ideas.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Oh man I wish I discovered this sooner for Outlook; Automatically configure profile based on Active Directory Primary SMTP address
A small thing, but silent first time setup Outlook GPO will make people jumping between machines easier rather than having me walk through pressing next four times.

However my shitbox HTPC is still bring cruddy, replacement CPU cooler came in but after fitting in and running some borked Ubuntu updates I get a thermal shutdown and constantly pegging 80°c, swap out the original which I vacuumed the dust out of and I'm back to 50°c then I find a bunch of programs missing... namely Kodi.

I'd hoped to replace this setup with a Raspberry Pi but it can't play videos properly, and doesn't properly pass through surround sound to my amplifier.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What Pi do you have? I'm running OSMC on a 2 Model B and it's all good.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Twlight posted:

Out of sheer curiosity - what did your job ad look like?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

Out of sheer curiosity - what did your job ad look like?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Always good for a laugh.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

alg posted:

This is why I love working in state government. Great job security, treated like a human being, amazing benefits and a pension. And I feel like I'm contributing to something, instead of raising profits for a bunch of lovely investors who want to outsource me.

Government is usually good for their people too yeah. I havemt had the fortune to work for the government yet though. Wouldn't mind later on in my career though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Even one foot in reality is way too much.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

What Pi do you have? I'm running OSMC on a 2 Model B and it's all good.

Just a Pi Zero, I can't expect much from a £5 chip computer but I've tried Recalbox, Recalbox/LibreElec dual boot which have been pretty underwhelming with certain network video files going all green and pixelated.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Why can't someone just give me a job, gently caress all this interview noise.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

LochNessMonster posted:

Government is usually good for their people too yeah. I havemt had the fortune to work for the government yet though. Wouldn't mind later on in my career though.
Nah dude, you get your state job at 22 and then get your 30 year pension at 52.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
They are seriously considering moving us in IT, who have our own private room for the team, out into the open plan office where everyone else is. gently caress. That. We discuss passwords and poo poo and view sensitive information, not to mention the massive loss in productivity that will occur from everyone walking up even more than they already do.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

devmd01 posted:

They are seriously considering moving us in IT, who have our own private room for the team, out into the open plan office where everyone else is. gently caress. That. We discuss passwords and poo poo and view sensitive information, not to mention the massive loss in productivity that will occur from everyone walking up even more than they already do.

Hey can you do me a favor really quick?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The first week at my new job has been an absolute mental gauntlet.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 6, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

devmd01 posted:

One of our clients has their IT and programming office freely accessible and I imagine it is absolute hell. People coming in all the time to bother the one help desk dude

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Methanar posted:

The first week at my new job has been an absolute mental gauntlet.

Can't be as bad as the one where they made you a literal janitor, no?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Client is a bank and has a core network that's all single devices, one routers one switch, one firewall, one wan router but for some reason orders two palo altos to do threat protection since the ASA doesn't. Our guy installs both but client(director of IT) refuses to provision vlans so we can configure the ha pair and instead says when he wants to fail over he'll unplug the ethernet wires from the first device and move them to the second.....

We're doing a training session with his employees and they freak out about this design, now said customer is denying this ever happened and we installed it wrong. When we ask for vlans to "fix it" he again tells us no and that if we can't do a tcp reset through a span port then we need to remove the palo altos.

I don't even know how some people become directors of IT with this kind of attitude and logic.

We asked him when he's going to add redundancy to the rest of the core and he told us never because they don't need it. Never opening a bank account there.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 6, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sheep posted:

Can't be as bad as the one where they made you a literal janitor, no?

I was a literal groundskeeper thank you very much.

This job though is the real deal. I've been soaking up institutional knowledge about the infrastructure all week and can expect to continue for quite a while. I had my first moment of clarity today and it felt great after 4 days of gazing into the terminal and having look back.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

a cop posted:

I have a friend in IT in Australia and it sounds great. Cool cities, great pay, nice benefits etc. Anectdotal from 1 person but yeah.

Australia is in a lot of ways a 3rd world country when it comes to IT.

It's hard to get parts for anything.
Their entire network infrastructure is poo poo.
The NBN is a loving catastrophy.
Cell phones are still billed by the minute.

It's a terrible place.

source: my company has a 20 person engineering office down there, I travel to Brisbane once or twice a year to untangle poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have my mid year review next week. In order to do a market survey on what kind of raise I should ask for, I changed my clearancejobs profile to active and am trying to find the threshold at which recruiters stop agreeing with me that the number I toss out is "reasonable for the market."

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Where does this thread stand on open offices in IT...

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

We asked him when he's going to add redundancy to the rest of the core and he told us never because they don't need it. Never opening a bank account there.
1) titles in banks are often loving retarded
2) do you know the asset size of the bank? usually you can just google <bank name> asset size.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

a cop posted:

Open floor plans are terrible for everything.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

a cop posted:

If you're part of a project where you're working with a bunch of people who all have the same goal, with interconnected parts, it's an okay strategy. If you're all respectful of each other's workflow it can work great.

If you're working in an environment where you all have independent tasks and have no reasonable expectation that your jobs will intersect, it's a terrible idea.

So, developing an app where you're in a room with all the key developers and other key people: OK idea
Working on tickets: BAD idea.
In a room where the other people have nothing to do with IT. Get out.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
my team has an open area and I think it's great. There are lots of opportunity for distraction, but just as many for learning.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you're part of a project where you're working with a bunch of people who all have the same goal, with interconnected parts, it's an okay strategy. If you're all respectful of each other's workflow it can work great.

If you're working in an environment where you all have independent tasks and have no reasonable expectation that your jobs will intersect, it's a terrible idea.

So, developing an app where you're in a room with all the key developers and other key people: OK idea
Working on tickets: BAD idea.
In a room where the other people have nothing to do with IT. Get out.
I disagree:

thebigcow posted:

Open floor plans are terrible for everything.

This is the truth. I would be willing to grudgingly admit that if you are specifically working on a single project with multiple people, having a open floor plan is okay. But then the end of that project comes. You are stuck with those people forever.

When possible (although I have only been in control of floor plan twice....I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse) I get everyone privacy. I get offices for everyone, even those stuck in cubicles, I get the expensive cubicles with roofs at the drop ceiling hight and doors that shut. People. Need. Privacy. And going "Well, walk into a conference room! :v: " is not privacy, it is being a useless middle manager who doesn't understand management.

The only person(/people) who don't get that are customer-facing receptionists who have to handle foot traffic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have my own private office, suck my god drat ballz

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Arsten posted:

This is the truth. I would be willing to grudgingly admit that if you are specifically working on a single project with multiple people, having a open floor plan is okay. But then the end of that project comes. You are stuck with those people forever.

The scenario I'm thinking of is like, you work for a department store, and you're a team that's tasked with making a rewards card program. That's all you guys do, develop this thing, gradually add features, maintain the database, integrate it into cellphone apps, etc. Sorta like a startup company within a larger company where you're all working together to make the next Twitter and the end date is at least a few years off at which they'll be transitioning your team into a maintenance thing and you've got to start looking for a new job or a new project.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The scenario I'm thinking of is like, you work for a department store, and you're a team that's tasked with making a rewards card program. That's all you guys do, develop this thing, gradually add features, maintain the database, integrate it into cellphone apps, etc. Sorta like a startup company within a larger company where you're all working together to make the next Twitter and the end date is at least a few years off at which they'll be transitioning your team into a maintenance thing and you've got to start looking for a new job or a new project.

Then after you leave, sad Kathy comes in who only ever talks about her cat, making your former co-workers suffer. Then it ends in a blood bath. Eventually CLAM DOWN loots their corpses for Legendary components.

Look what you have wrought. LOOK AT IT.

Really, though, the usefulness of open floors is limited. I hate to wish that on anyone. :(

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

a cop posted:

loving poo poo that's what.

I'm biased because of our current office, but multiple departments stuffed together back to back because there simply isn't enough room for everyone but they still cram people in anyway is miserable. Particularly because we are a contact center and people want to talk to each other in general, it can get pretty drat loud.

A form got sent out this week for everyone to request what they want from a new office, space pleeeeeease, I don't even have a workbench or build area so I have to crap up everyone else's space.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hey can you do me a favor really quick?

:supaburn: *Furiously working on things*
:v: "Heeeeey can you do me a favour I need to blahbl-"
:supaburn: "I'm far too busy either call the help line or send a ticket to support@company.com"
:v: "Ugh... okay"
:v: *Sends E-mail to superslash@company.com*

:byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have my own private office, suck my god drat ballz

Me too.

I call it my office or 2nd Bedroom.