Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

thinking about soldiers' graves rapidly depresses me

I don't know how to tell you this, but all those names on your muster roles... They're all people in graves.

Every last one.

All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you find war graves depressing I recommend a: visiting England and b: bringing lots of alcohol, we've got lots of war memorials.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So today at the Bundswehr museum in Dresden, I learned that you should have a mouthful of water if you're going to shoot yourself in the mouth with a Kar98k, to ensure your head really flies apart! :stonk:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

dublish posted:

I don't know how to tell you this, but all those names on your muster roles... They're all people in graves.

Every last one.

All of them.
if they were lucky

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

dublish posted:

Every last one.

All of them.
Does it count as a burial if a horse tramples your lifeless remains into the mud?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Siivola posted:

Does it count as a burial if a horse tramples your lifeless remains into the mud?

Not a very good grave, but sure. I'll also allow 350 years of sediment piling up on exposed bones.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Almost every village that survived the war in Russia (which is a pretty big if) has a memorial for the people from there who died in the war. Graves of unknown soldiers are also pretty common.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

dublish posted:

Not a very good grave, but sure. I'll also allow 350 years of sediment piling up on exposed bones.
thrown down a well?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OwlFancier posted:

If you find war graves depressing I recommend a: visiting England and b: bringing lots of alcohol, we've got lots of war memorials.

poo poo, if you want depressing war memorials go poke around German small towns.

I've seen a few with 1.5 memorials and a couple with 2.5:

Sometimes there will be an old pre-1914 memorial to locals who died in the Franco-Prussian war.

Almost always there will be a post-1918, pre-1939 memorial to all of the locals who died in WW1. Frequently this will have a bunch of names, so you can stand there and get really depressed when you realize that whole families lost huge chunks of their male members, and get even more morose when you think about how big that town was at that time.

Why all the oddball .5 stuff? Because sometimes if you walk around to the reverse side of that monument you'll find where they put the names of the guys Hitler got killed. Get depressed all over again as you reflect on the need for commemorating their dead but the fraught post-war politics that led them to add them to the old one. Get even MORE depressed when you look at names, see the same last names on the front and the back, and start putting two and two together.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

thrown down a well?

At that point, all you're missing is the funeral service.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

poo poo, if you want depressing war memorials go poke around German small towns.

Sometimes there will be an old pre-1914 memorial to locals who died in the Franco-Prussian war.

Almost always there will be a post-1918, pre-1939 memorial to all of the locals who died in WW1. Frequently this will have a bunch of names, so you can stand there and get really depressed when you realize that whole families lost huge chunks of their male members, and get even more morose when you think about how big that town was at that time.

Why all the oddball .5 stuff? Because sometimes if you walk around to the reverse side of that monument you'll find where they put the names of the guys Hitler got killed. Get depressed all over again as you reflect on the need for commemorating their dead but the fraught post-war politics that led them to add them to the old one. Get even MORE depressed when you look at names, see the same last names on the front and the back, and start putting two and two together.

You can sort of do that here, most places down to the village got a cenotaph after WW1, and they got added to in WW2 but sometimes they ran out of space so they built another one, or stuck extra stones down somewhere nearby. I think some of them still add names and yes, you can do the surname game on those too.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are there memorials to destroyed towns and deaths during the 30 years war? I've read that prior to the world wars that it was still kind of remembered in "national consciousness" as a great disaster. Now it's not as prominent, but killed a greater proportion of the country than either of the world wars, though over a much greater span of time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

the saddest goddamned thing i have ever seen is the weekend i slept inside a gym belonging to a Turnverein in Memmingen and I saw the plaque on the wall dedicated to their members who died in ww1. It was just an association of guys who'd meet to hang out and do gymnastics, that's what Turnverein means, and they all died.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Go to an old university town. I'd be amazed if there are more war memorials per square mile than in Cambridge. Every college has them, the town has them, the local businesses have them, the college sports clubs have them.

It lists 351 memorials in Cambridge.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i think the reason it hit me so hard is that a turnverein is so freaking nonthreatening. it's like one of the most benign things a bunch of dudes can do

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes lots of schools and colleges established at the time of the wars have memorials here to old boys.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, when the army expanded to meet the needs of the war, junior officers were pretty much all pulled from university students and graduates. Officers in WW1 actually suffered a casualty rate greater than enlisted men, and most of these losses fell on their lower ranks.

HEY GAIL posted:

i think the reason it hit me so hard is that a turnverein is so freaking nonthreatening. it's like one of the most benign things a bunch of dudes can do

Weren't turnvereins some of the most common and popular associations in Germany? I also seem to remember that they were pretty important in the development of German nationalism.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xerxes17 posted:

So today at the Bundswehr museum in Dresden, I learned that you should have a mouthful of water if you're going to shoot yourself in the mouth with a Kar98k, to ensure your head really flies apart! :stonk:

brb...

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Place was putting out less than 600 undergrads a year. Every now and then you can see a member of the peerage, e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Frederick_Cambridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Cavendish,_Marquess_of_Hartington

quote:

His only son, Arthur Onslow Edward Guinness, Viscount Elveden, was killed in action in Belgium in 1945, being an unlucky victim of a V-2 rocket strike.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 22, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

Well, when the army expanded to meet the needs of the war, junior officers were pretty much all pulled from university students and graduates. Officers in WW1 actually suffered a casualty rate greater than enlisted men, and most of these losses fell on their lower ranks.

Um excuse me but this does not align with my marxist world view.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yes lots of schools and colleges established at the time of the wars have memorials here to old boys.

The fairly ordinary but old secondary school I went to had one of those plaques with about 100 names on it. Which was also about the number of kids in my year. Every town and city in the UK has a cenotaph too, pretty much. And compared to Germany and France we got off relatively lightly! There's a reason pacifism was so big in the 20s and 30s UK.

Edit: Oxford is an older university town than Cambridge, also p stuffed with these things.

Edit edit: having one cenotaph for both wars is pretty much standard here so I'm not sure that's always German specific politics?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 22, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

P-Mack posted:

I've got a thing on the Arrow War mostly written up so maybe I'll finally get updating again?

Look forward greatly to it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Randarkman posted:

Speaking of American Civil War statues. I'm not from the US, but from Norway which obviously played little part in the American Civil War. However in the municipality I grew up in outside the old town hall there is a statue of a Union officer.

Once I realized that this was a statue of an American officer it kind of puzzled me, though as with alot of other people I was mostly just content with being puzzled and forget to check up on it while walking home (my family also got internet pretty late).
However one day I eventually did check out what was up with this statue. It's a guy named Hans Christian Heg ("Hegg" by the way is also the name of the local elementary school and a nearby area, which is likely where he got the name), who was a Norwegian immigrant to Wisconsin. He seems to have done pretty well there and became a state prison commissioner it seems like. Eventually he became involved in anti-slavery causes and joined an "anti-slave-catcher" militia as well as the Free Soil Party and the Republican Party.
He joined up with the Union army as a colonel when war broke out and initially led a regiment mostly made up of Scandinavian immigrants, he seems to have led this regiment in several battles. Eventually he was promoted to command a brigade, but was shortly thereafter fatally wounded in the battle of Chickamauga.
The statue in question seems to be a copy of a statue outside the Wisconsin state capitol and was unveiled in 1925 as a gift from Norwegian-Americans to their mother country. Pretty cool I think, haven't really seen any ACW statues anywhere else in Norway, and it does seem like he was a pretty decent guy.

I was reading this post with "holy poo poo this statue is in Madison, WI too" in my mind, and then I got to the end. Very interesting though.

It makes me irrationally angry that there are statues to the confederacy in or near Illinois (tough to tell on that map and I wouldn't be surprised if Dixon had one). Saw a confederate flag in Chicago the other day--get that poo poo out of Lincoln's state.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 22, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

It makes me irrationally angry that there are statues to the confederacy in or near Illinois (tough to tell on that map and I wouldn't be surprised if Dixon had one). Saw a confederate flag in Chicago the other day--get that poo poo out of Lincoln's state.

What was really confusing was finding out that the sole Confederate memorial in California was in Los Angeles. Would have expected it to be in San Diego.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What was really confusing was finding out that the sole Confederate memorial in California was in Los Angeles. Would have expected it to be in San Diego.

There was a Confederate memorial plaque in Horton Plaza until last week.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Go to an old university town. I'd be amazed if there are more war memorials per square mile than in Cambridge. Every college has them, the town has them, the local businesses have them, the college sports clubs have them.

It lists 351 memorials in Cambridge.

College libraries usually carry the undergraduate newspapers such as they were from the Wars. They make interesting, if very sad reading - lots of "in trenches for first time, d----- cold, please remember me to the dean, anyone know of any other old downing boys out here?"

My college's guys went and visited each others families when on leave, which is nice especially when you think they might never have met, or even heard of each other - but they did their duty to the old alma mater and all that. Still got to write up my ideas on cambridge and Oxford and the upper middle class being bred for low level imperial service like prize cattle at some point.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda like the story of the 1848 revolutionaries who popped up in the Union Army.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That's got nothing on the Jefferson Davis plaque that was in Montreal. :canada:
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/montreal/jefferson-davis-confederate-plaque-montreal-1.4248206

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many of you have done this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MahcHw-igX4

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

all my youtube suggestions are reviews/diy instructions for rolling pins now, thanks

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
How much was a US territory on the western frontier treated as part of the United States? More specifically, if the CSA somehow survived the Civil War, would it be possible that a territory could petition them for statehood instead?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

College libraries usually carry the undergraduate newspapers such as they were from the Wars. They make interesting, if very sad reading - lots of "in trenches for first time, d----- cold, please remember me to the dean, anyone know of any other old downing boys out here?"

My college's guys went and visited each others families when on leave, which is nice especially when you think they might never have met, or even heard of each other - but they did their duty to the old alma mater and all that. Still got to write up my ideas on cambridge and Oxford and the upper middle class being bred for low level imperial service like prize cattle at some point.
francis scott key went to my college and that's all i know about it and war

ed. and the quiz show scandal dude, which has nothing to do with war it's just probably the most famous alum.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 23, 2017

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

lenoon posted:

My college has an online exhibit about WW1 and the college: http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/old-library/exhibitions/christs-at-war

Went to see the exhibition when it was in the Old Library. As you say, interesting but sad.

The members of the college funded a YMCA hut for soldiers on the front. It was destroyed in the final German offensives of 1918, but the College crest was saved:

College war memorial for WW1:

Matriculation photo, 1914:

Matriculation photo, 1916:

Officer candidates billeted in the College, 1917:

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
My university was burned down in WWI :(

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

The Belgian posted:

My university was burned down in WWI :(

You don't often see a depressing username-post combo, but here it is.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VanSandman posted:

You don't often see a depressing username-post combo, but here it is.
that dude is actually a belgian

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Panzeh posted:

I kinda like the story of the 1848 revolutionaries who popped up in the Union Army.

A branch of my family did that. hosed up and joined the wrong side in one of the SW german revolutionary movements in the 1840s, got the hell out of dodge, ended up with kids in the civil war.

Family legend has it that, being in Kentucky, they made the decision to send family members off to fight for both sides because, to quote my grandfather, "we weren't going to be on the losing side of another goddamned war."

I've done something similar. I was dressed in military surplus as an E. German border guard one halloween, and a bunch of people took turns breaking beer bottles over my head with the helmet on. We were really loving drunk.

Grad school was a special time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

P-Mack posted:

There were plenty of foreign volunteers on both sides but they generally operated as individuals giving advice or technical support as opposed to entire foreign units. One of them, A.F. Lindley, is one of our best primary sources from inside the Taiping. (He pretty clearly prioritizes telling a rip roaring action story over factual accuracy so it needs many grains of salt though).

The closest thing to a foreign volunteer regiment was the Shanghai Foreign Arms corps under F.T. Ward, whose less than glorious (i.e. extremely drunk) performance I covered a while back. The more effective later units like the Ever Victorious Army were composed of Chinese troops with foreign officers and drill.

I've got a thing on the Arrow War mostly written up so maybe I'll finally get updating again?

Good good

I'm waiting for the bit where "and then the Manchus were all 'enough of this poo poo' and they destroyed irrigation works a thousand years old, and the resulting famine was the largest in modern times."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm still sad that the museum with all the Taiping and WW2 stuff was closed during the few days I spent in Nanjing a while back. I was able to tour the city wall at least.

Tevery Best posted:

How much was a US territory on the western frontier treated as part of the United States? More specifically, if the CSA somehow survived the Civil War, would it be possible that a territory could petition them for statehood instead?

American territory is American territory, regardless of their level of organization and representation in Congress. If the CSA or anyone else had tried to annex it that would be cause for war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

You've put far more effort into debunking that guy's idiot claim than he ever put into conceiving it.

The South in general was pretty feudalistic, being controlled mainly by a small group of aristocratic landowners, although they skimped on the landowner side of feudal duties, such as military service.

Hey as someone whose ancestors were transported to the colonies following their defeat and capture at Culloden I have a right to be pissed at some rear end in a top hat calling them libertarians :mad: