Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you're playing Arkham City you can just use the Multi Takedown that KOs everyone knocked down, it's grossly OP and can pretty effectively clear any room of mooks and give you time to do the beatdown stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

If you're playing Arkham City you can just use the Multi Takedown that KOs everyone knocked down, it's grossly OP and can pretty effectively clear any room of mooks and give you time to do the beatdown stuff.

He's playing Arkham Origins from the talk about accents. But Dodging like a madman is excellent if you are feeling crowded and don't quite have the feel for the combat system yet.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

First-person platforming is a mistake, Turok and Turok 2 are outright war crimes

it's a small price to pay to enjoy some of the weapons those games cook up

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

poptart_fairy posted:

Git gud? Sounds like you're letting enemies dictate the pace. You have a ton of crowd control gadgets.

Sounds like he's playing Origins, and it sounds like he's on the Final Offer, which is right at the beginning of the game. He doesn't have too many gadgets yet. I know, because this is where I put the game down. gently caress Arkham Origins.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

OldTennisCourt posted:

That changes jack poo poo. I'm still getting loving mobbed, I'm still forced to listen to the single worst loving British accent in recorded history, I've got knife guys absolutely annihilating me, I've got those box throwing dickheads hitting me when I'm at least 2 meters away from where they land and it takes three loving tried to take one armor guy out.

It's a HORRIFIC design decision, like I'm flabbergasted at who on earth thought that was a good idea.

Jeez, its not that bad. I like the armour guys since they let you send your combo meter into the stratosphere. If you do Batman's stun or combat takedown attacks I'm convinced those fellas take very high priority wrt who Batman will auto-target, even if they are way across the room.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Inco posted:

Sounds like he's playing Origins, and it sounds like he's on the Final Offer, which is right at the beginning of the game. He doesn't have too many gadgets yet. I know, because this is where I put the game down. gently caress Arkham Origins.

Sounds like he's just bad, tbh. The Final Offer shouldn't give you problems if you're smart - dodge knives, don't get surrounded, and Takedowns automatically target armour over regular thugs.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The combat in Arkham Origins is kind of messed up in general. Other games in the series were really good about letting you chain attacks together and making everything feel right, Origins is mostly identical but certain things won't work a lot of the time. Counters won't register for seemingly arbitrary reasons leading to frustrating hits, attacks against distant enemies won't target correctly so Batman swings at the air in front of him, etc. It's still a good game but the combat system just wasn't executed as well for whatever reason.

The main problem with armor guys is that a lot of the time they look nearly identical to normal enemies. You go to attack them as part of a normal combo and it drops your multiplier completely.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I actually find the whole special enemy types in every arkham like to be annoying. Because when you get really, really mobbed your attacks feel kind of random on who you're going after when you're swinging and you can easily swing into the wrong fucker. Dropping combos because Batman decided to go for the punch on the 1 Stunrod guy in a pack of 5 normal guys isn't very cool.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
My big issue with the Arkham games is that I am entirely incapable of pulling off the Knife Counter takedown (unless done by accident). I can handle the timing on every other combo, and I can dodge/counter attacks without the prompts no problem, I am just unable to do that stupid dodge takedown. :(

Hell, I've turned on tutorials for that one combo in every Arkham game that would let me, and I still can't get the feel of it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Sounds like he's just bad, tbh. The Final Offer shouldn't give you problems if you're smart - dodge knives, don't get surrounded, and Takedowns automatically target armour over regular thugs.

Ok dude, you got me I'm literally retarded and terrible at games. Thanks forums user poptart_fairy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does XCOM benefit at all from not just being an overhead view? Sometimes it's just insanely hard to get the grenade lined up just right because no matter how I rotate the camera it won't stay lined up how I want it to and bounces between where it should be and where it shouldn't be

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

An overhead view would make it really awkward to tell what is high vs low cover at a glance and most importantly wouldn't let you see nearly as much area.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Digirat posted:

An overhead view would make it really awkward to tell what is high vs low cover at a glance and most importantly wouldn't let you see nearly as much area.
But it would stop the cursor from bouncing all over. And in theory I could zoom out more to actually see the battlefield. There's times I can't see the enemies to tell if my guys have los because I can't zoom more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You wouldn't be able to get grenades anywhere with a roof or more than one floor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RBA Starblade posted:

You wouldn't be able to get grenades anywhere with a roof or more than one floor.

Press a button to raise/lower level? I feel like that was in turn based games in the past and would solve the issue of the game unsure if I'm trying to target floor one or two.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

OldTennisCourt posted:

That changes jack poo poo. I'm still getting loving mobbed, I'm still forced to listen to the single worst loving British accent in recorded history, I've got knife guys absolutely annihilating me, I've got those box throwing dickheads hitting me when I'm at least 2 meters away from where they land and it takes three loving tried to take one armor guy out.

It's a HORRIFIC design decision, like I'm flabbergasted at who on earth thought that was a good idea.

Yeah, the challenge rooms are like 100X harder than anything you face in campaign, and can be cleared flawlessly. The design is great, it is you that is flawed.

EDIT: whoops, exception for arkham orgins. that game blows.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Feb 6, 2017

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Len posted:

Does XCOM benefit at all from not just being an overhead view? Sometimes it's just insanely hard to get the grenade lined up just right because no matter how I rotate the camera it won't stay lined up how I want it to and bounces between where it should be and where it shouldn't be

If you are on pc and using M + KB (not sure if its console or not) scrolling your mouse changes elevation in x-com allowing you to try new angles for grenade throws.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Spinning Robo posted:

it's a small price to pay to enjoy some of the weapons those games cook up

It sucks that so many shooters these days have exclusively realistic - or, even worse, real - guns. It seems like in the early days of the genre just about every game had a bunch of wacky poo poo to play around with.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Feonir posted:

If you are on pc and using M + KB (not sure if its console or not) scrolling your mouse changes elevation in x-com allowing you to try new angles for grenade throws.

That didn't seem to change anything at all

But seriously who decided the grenade aiming was a good solid thing and was ready to roll?

Guys just hanging out apparently immune to explosions unless I wiggled the mouse around a bit. And yes I hit go because "Oh maybe it's just a display glitch." Nope dude was standing in the middle of a grenade blast and no sold it.

And in this one the target was supposed to be down and to the left of the muton but it said gently caress you unless I went one more left or up one.

Edit: Like I can handle when my grenadier standing directly beside a guy flanking him misses with bullets but why can't it just let me put templates where I want them? Or let me zoom out more so I can tell if the sniper will have LOS to dudes after his move? My screen only fits so much of the battlefield. I just want to look down at a birds eye view.

Len has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Feb 6, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

But seriously who decided the grenade aiming was a good solid thing and was ready to roll?

Guys just hanging out apparently immune to explosions unless I wiggled the mouse around a bit. And yes I hit go because "Oh maybe it's just a display glitch." Nope dude was standing in the middle of a grenade blast and no sold it.

And in this one the target was supposed to be down and to the left of the muton but it said gently caress you unless I went one more left or up one.

Edit: Like I can handle when my grenadier standing directly beside a guy flanking him misses with bullets but why can't it just let me put templates where I want them? Or let me zoom out more so I can tell if the sniper will have LOS to dudes after his move? My screen only fits so much of the battlefield. I just want to look down at a birds eye view.

Wiggling your mouse around until your grenade AoE magically snaps into the right spot is an integral part of the XCOM experience.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
The Swapper was a neat little puzzle game that was sort of Metroid-ish and controlled pretty well.
The thing dragging it down was it's plot- it was essentially trying to be SOMA but did a poorer job of it.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
This is going way back, but I'd like to talk about mediocre garbage for a second, specific Mercenaries 2. Before it came out, I was a fan of the first game and was hoping more of the same, but higher quality. Instead, it's a game that had the potential to be good, but instead is just pretty much a constant string of disappointments. Examples:

- Instead of calling in Airstrikes and being charged money for doing so, you now have to maintain a supply of fuel, which is procured on the field by tagging it and having a chopper come and pick it up. On paper this could be okay, but in the long term it winds up becoming very tedious and occasionally frustrating, with enemies sometimes goofing on their grenade throws and causing the very flammable fuel tanks to explode. On top of that, you still wind up having to buy most of your airstrike munitions because despite being able to find some in the field (like just on top of hills and poo poo???) the best stuff needs to be bought, which means the whole fuel problem is just extra needless busywork.

- Compared to the first Mercenaries (which is also flawed, but not as much), Airstrikes are... a bit inconvenient. In the first game, the grand majority of strikes are either done with a laser designation or by satellite guidance, meaning you can do it from a distance, everything else was done by smoke or by beacon and was generally not that useful. In Mercenaries 2, just about everything is either smoke or a beacon, with the other forms of targeting being used in high-end strikes accessible pretty much at the end of the game. Want to call in a Daisy Cutter? You know that thing with a huge blast radius? Well you better run real fast after you toss that smoke grenade because otherwise you're going to be blown up pretty quick.

- That said, when the game offers you poo poo like Daisy Cutters and the MOAB, it's kind of hosed how bad they are. I realize that it's a last gen game and not particularly far into the console life cycle, but calling in a MOAB (by lazily tossing a smoke grenade) and having it blow up maybe a couple buildings at best is... a bit underwhelming. It also has a problem that a lot of games have, with missiles, namely things like surgical strikes, lazily gliding at their target at 40 MPH. I know I'm just being picky with that, but it just looks dopey.

- Commits the old GTA sin of having you lose all of your weapons when you die outside of a mission. You get nothing but a pistol and get sent all the way back to the far side of the map, which is not exactly close in the end game. Granted you can call in weapons and transit (if you have the fuel/money) but it's just an extra loading screen and more tedium.

- Huge repetition outside of main story missions, I think you generally had to complete the same task 3 times before you finally get all of the rewards for it (usually stuff for you to buy) and by the end game it gets a bit ridiculous to drive the same truck filled with parrots through a battle zone so many times.

- Bounty targets that apparently have a boner for running into flaming buildings, apparently.

- RPG Houses: so imagine a building with a bunch of windows and these windows constantly have guys with RPGs hanging out of them, firing at you constantly, only stopping if you destroy the house itself. On paper, maybe not so bad, in practice, just kind of bullshit, particularly if you have a few houses in the same area.

- Co-Op tether. I guess better that than no Co-Op but come on now.

- The story is garbage and the characters suck and even Peter Stormare can't save it, somehow. I know that's not the main draw for this kind of game, but it's real dumb. I never understood how your support pal would say things like "The Venezuelans say we're their only hope :downs:" when it's like "dude I just blew up most of Caracas, no homes were spared". Open world games generally have a disconnect between what you do in game and what happens in the story, but for whatever reason it seems real bad in this game.

For the record I haven't played this game in probably like 5 years, but it was such a huge letdown that even now, in 2017, I sometimes think about how cool it could have been.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

supergayboy posted:

Mercenaries 2

I gave up on it during the late game when the button-mashing hijacking QTEs became impossible for me.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I gave up on it during the late game when the button-mashing hijacking QTEs became impossible for me.

Jesus I had actually forgotten about those. I know they wanted to make vehicles less vulnerable but they did it in the dumbest possible way.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Oh man, I remember playing it on PC and being frustrated because I could not even get a single one of those to work for me. That was, until I found out by accident that the issue was mashing too fast. Apparently due to some (probably framerate-related) issues, hitting keyboard keys too quickly would cause the input to be lost. So the only way to get those QTEs was to purposely slow yourself down, trying to mash those keys quickly but not too quickly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A super annoying thing about Mercs 2 was that you couldn't just buy things in your base and get them there. You had to go outside of the base and have them drop it off, which used fuel.

Anyway, I'm replaying Sleeping Dogs and the clothes stuff is just really annoying. Because some sets of clothes have bonuses attached to them you're pretty much discouraged from wearing anything else.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Poulpe posted:

The Swapper was a neat little puzzle game that was sort of Metroid-ish and controlled pretty well.
The thing dragging it down was it's plot- it was essentially trying to be SOMA but did a poorer job of it.

It was trying to be a game that came out two years after it?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Digirat posted:

It was trying to be a game that came out two years after it?

Faaaaaiir.
Point stands that SOMA did a much, much better job of exploring the concept.
And regardless of release dates it's nobody's fault that I experienced SOMA first :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing dragging down Soma is the monsters which can kill you. They just feel completely out of place in the story.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mercs 2 was almost saved by the free dlc that let you play as Obama

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

supergayboy posted:

This is going way back, but I'd like to talk about mediocre garbage for a second, specific Mercenaries 2. Before it came out, I was a fan of the first game and was hoping more of the same, but higher quality. Instead, it's a game that had the potential to be good, but instead is just pretty much a constant string of disappointments.

I think it came out at the wrong time, being developed for PS2 and PS3/Xbox360 simultaneously. Saints Row II came out a couple months later and was noticeably better as far as vehicle physics, shooting, visuals, etc. I think it's a shame that the series was dead by the time people really made big expansive open world 3rd person games work on that generation.

Look at Red Dead Redemption and Just Cause 2, they both came out in 2010 as sequels to PS2 era games and there was enough improvement between the two to really turn them into fantastic games.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Len posted:

Am I missing something? He's standing behind a wall, why would that grenade hit him? The indicator is pretty honest about who/what will be destroyed by the grenade. If it's not highlighted red, they're safe.

Also you can press the middle mouse button to zoom out

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Feb 7, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Away all Goats posted:

Am I missing something? He's standing behind a wall, why would that grenade hit him? The indicator is pretty honest about who/what will be destroyed by the grenade. If it's not highlighted red, they're safe.

Also you can press the middle mouse button to zoom out

Because grenades typically explode the wall hitting the guys behind it which is exactly what happened after I wiggled the mouse.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Because grenades typically explode the wall hitting the guys behind it which is exactly what happened after I wiggled the mouse.

Wiggling the mouse does weird, weird things to grenades in XCOM2. I've had grenades fly straight through solid walls to blow up the room behind it. Like in that first screenshot, I've had guys stand in the blast area and not get hurt because they weren't highlighted. I've had guys very clearly NOT in the blast area get hurt because the game doesn't know what it's doing once you start moving the mouse around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JFp555i10

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

muscles like this! posted:

Anyway, I'm replaying Sleeping Dogs and the clothes stuff is just really annoying. Because some sets of clothes have bonuses attached to them you're pretty much discouraged from wearing anything else.

Unless you're really trying to max out your faction XP or you're just getting constantly pasted in fights and need the damage boost, just don't worry about it. Wear whatever combo you want, and save custom outfits for the bonus effects, in case you need them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inco posted:

Unless you're really trying to max out your faction XP or you're just getting constantly pasted in fights and need the damage boost, just don't worry about it. Wear whatever combo you want, and save custom outfits for the bonus effects, in case you need them.

I was about to say this as well, most of the bonuses are either minimal to the point of just being little novelty boosts, or you have poo poo like the NZ biker gang outfit that bumps up your melee damage by like a big ole rear end 40% and then you're slaughtering dudes too easily. Better to just dress to your mood for how you wanna kung fu assholes moment to moment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Yardbomb posted:

I was about to say this as well, most of the bonuses are either minimal to the point of just being little novelty boosts, or you have poo poo like the NZ biker gang outfit that bumps up your melee damage by like a big ole rear end 40% and then you're slaughtering dudes too easily. Better to just dress to your mood for how you wanna kung fu assholes moment to moment.

I wore the luchador mask and sunglasses through the whole game. It was pretty great to just be luchacop.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Got Deus Ex: Mankind Divided when it was on sale recently, and I'm glad I didn't get it for full price.

- Stealth has feedback issues. The original DX had janky stealth, but that was built on the Unreal 1 engine and already dated when it came out. This is a game that had a budget behind it and it shows, but I can never tell if takedowns are supposed to emit sound and how much sound depending on a handful of factors. I'm assuming buying the upgrade that shows how loud I walk would help, but I didn't prioritize it on my shopping list. Sometimes I'll tranq a guy and they'll go down without any alerts popped and then sometimes I'll tranq someone the exact same way but it triggers an alert. And the shifts between alert stages can be delayed so I won't know if I alerted someone until I see the rader say update.

- I can't set waypoints on my map so I have to pause every few seconds to make sure I haven't lost direction. And some markers for missions don't update properly.

- Multitools are back, and I'm glad they are because they helped bypass some of the harder hacking challenges in the game without requiring you to invest too deeply into any hacking upgrades. I just wish this applied to obstacles. Gas and electrical hazards are back but short of taking a bunch of painkillers (and even then it ain't a guarantee) there's no way to walk through those hazards without upgrading. Actually, I don't think this game even has that one upgrade in Human Revolution that let you walk through electrical hazards. Devs, bring back the hazmat suits and rebreathers.

- By nature of having so many characters and the need to ensure that they all stand out to the player several hours in, most quest characters are too obviously caricatured: The underground alt-media press are conspiracy theorists writing the things the voices in their heads tell them, The cult leader portrays himself as a benevolent philosopher-king but is just a paranoid megalomaniac who needed groupies, oh poo poo you gotta make a choice between a girl with some unconventional coping methods and a guy living in constant fear for his life over who can stay in the less lovely part of the country but no matter what choice you made someone will suffer :rolleyes:

- I thought there was gonna be some nuance to fighting the exosuit enemies (by nuance I mean I thought they'd have an exposed area that was ripe for tranq darts), but nah just pump enough darts into them and they'll stagger like everyone else.

- The leg augment is a little weird to me. I think I can adjust the height of my jump depending on how long I hold the jump button, but it's inconsistent whether or not I'll grab a ledge and I really can't tell any major difference between running before and after the upgrade. I think it needs one more node for increased speed and ups.

- I feel like hacking has waaaaay too many nodes in the Upgrade Tab. All of those options could have been one big upgrade tree.

- One of the side missions required you to enter a rave but in order to do so you need access past the door. So you can break into the house of someone who's involved with the rave and call up a special cleaning service to leave you a key. The thing is, you have reset the zone by taking the subway and walking back to the apartment complex. The mission's description isn't too good at providing hints as well, so you could be in that apartment waiting forever and never activate that trigger.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the game and there are some cool details in the environment art, notably magazine covers. And I even had a Eureka moment in the game when I realized I could carry a gun turret and just placed it against a wall so it wouldn't trigger an alarm if I had to backtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

OldTennisCourt posted:

Ok dude, you got me I'm literally retarded and terrible at games. Thanks forums user poptart_fairy.

Your first response was to screech that advice did "jack poo poo" and you haven't done anything further to explain what your actual problem is. Not that unfair to assume you're bad, tbh.