Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

peepsalot posted:

OK. Does messenger not work at all under project Fi? OK had it set to be the default app for SMS on my prev phone

You have to set Messenger as the default app AND you have to go to Account Settings in Hangouts and turn off SMS there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Uthor posted:

You have to set Messenger as the default app AND you have to go to Account Settings in Hangouts and turn off SMS there.

But it's already set that way in both apps. The settings were carried over from my last phone based on my Google account or whatever.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm loling hard at the why is my phone slow/poor battery comments then people rattle off having 12 different social media/IM programs half of which are probably tracking you all the time.

Hmm these things couldn't possibly be related

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Blue Train posted:

last i looked (a few years ago so may be different) the head units would support android but only specific apps like pandora or spotify, and it varies between brands which were supported. on crutchfield the android auto head units were like 4-500 dollars a few months ago lol. I would just get one that supports bluetooth and call it a day if I were you

Really I only care about spotify and stitcher for the most part, guess I'll have to get the phone and give those apps a try.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

peepsalot posted:

But it's already set that way in both apps. The settings were carried over from my last phone based on my Google account or whatever.

:shrug:

That's how mine is set up and I only use Messenger.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

I'm loling hard at the why is my phone slow/poor battery comments then people rattle off having 12 different social media/IM programs half of which are probably tracking you all the time.

hahaha loving plebs

with friends

(Your point is solid but that is what you sound like)

Uninstall Facebook, people. Your phone will thank you.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

hahaha loving plebs

with friends

(Your point is solid but that is what you sound like)

Trillian, im+, etc exist and I know least those two work. I did mean to end the post with if you got fb installed you make poor choices cause all I ever hear how poo poo that software is.

Or owning a Samsung phone based on what I have experienced and heard. Idk if it's TouchWiz or their other poo poo but it really cripples those phones. My now ancient 4g relay was a pile of poop until I put cyanogenmod on it. I probably got 2 extra years of life out of that sucker than if I had left it with their terrible implementation.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 14, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

What's it like to have no friends

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 20, 2018

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

LethalGeek posted:

Trillian, im+, etc exist and I know least those two work.
:shrug:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

MMD3 posted:

I'm about to jump ship from iPhone 6 to Galaxy S7 and my main concern at the moment is that my older Alpine car stereo won't support Android as far as I can tell.

What is the story with Android support in car stereos these days? The idea of dropping another $200-300 to upgrade my car stereo when the one I have works just fine is a little off-putting. I would only want a single din stereo and something that gives me basic usb play/pause/forward/back/volume controls plus displays the song playing. I guess my fallback can be trying to make bluetooth work or failing that using a 3.5" cable but I don't like the idea that I'd constantly be fumbling with the phone to change songs and such.

Unless you have some ridiculous sound system in your car and need to get the most of FLAC music even in it, just go with BT. It's reliable and works well and the quality is fine for normal people in cars.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's entirely possible to not use lots of social apps and still have lots of friends. Hard to believe, I know.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LethalGeek posted:

Trillian, im+, etc exist and I know least those two work.

Mmm yes, 2007's best messaging apps.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Friendship was invented ten years ago, by disruptive innovators.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

It's entirely possible to not use lots of social apps and still have lots of friends. Hard to believe, I know.

In 2016, it would be quite unusual for someone to be a social butterfly and not use a variety of social networking apps.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CLAM DOWN posted:

In 2016, it would be quite unusual for someone to be a social butterfly and not use a variety of social networking apps.

:allears:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol.

This is quite the bubble you live in.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

lol.

This is quite the bubble you live in.

Okay? This is my experience in all my social circles. I guess your experience is different.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I'm not exactly a social butterfly and I still have to use SMS, Hangouts and Telegram while telling people I won't respond to their Facebook loving Messenger

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Android Police has some non renders of the new Nexus:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/14/exclusive-photos-of-the-2016-nexus-sailfish-in-the-metallic-flesh/

If you look closely at the large black rectangle, you can make out the phone's screen just above it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Apparently AndroidPolice doesn't have anyone with cropping skills.

Either way, I can't wait for the 2016 Nexii to drop so the used market gets flooded with 6p's. :dance:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

peepsalot posted:

OK. Does messenger not work at all under project Fi? OK had it set to be the default app for SMS on my prev phone

AFAIK if you have hangouts integration enabled, you gotta use the hangouts app. If you disable hangouts integration and then also set messenger as default SMS then messenger should work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Android Police has some non renders of the new Nexus:
Quite a lot of bottom bezel for something with on-screen buttons.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Isn't every HTC phone like that?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Quite a lot of bottom bezel for something with on-screen buttons.
Agreed. We don't have full dimensions on either one yet, right? Wonder how they will compare to the 6P. The 6P is just a little bit too big. Be nice to drop down slightly.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Removed

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 15, 2016

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a way to set the default USB mode to MTP? I just started using Android Auto on my Galaxy S6 but I have to go into the developer options and set it to MTP every time I plug it into the car.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

MC Hawking posted:

Frequently, and it drives me insane. I've cleaned the port, and it does it with two different headphones. The prompt shows up every time I plug in wired headphones (without a mic on them) and occasionally music will pause and the prompt shows up. This behavior occurs on both my Nexus 4 (quite frequently) and my N5x (less frequently). I'm using Poweramp and can't seem to locate the setting to blanket ban "launch voice search at all times"

I should not have to download a separate application to prevent this behavior.

Edit: To be clear I have disabled Voice Search for bluetooth/wired headsets in the Google Settings. Still happens.

I ended up just switching for the HTC 10. I tried apps and refreshing but it seems short of a fresh install it would keep happening. I'm much happier with the 10 and the audio quality increase is icing on the cake.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since moving to San Antonio, basic functions of my phone have stopped working reliably. I already posted about my trusted location working maybe half the time, but I've noticed in the last few days that texts often fail to send,especially to my wife (she's on AT&T, I'm on Verizon). Any ideas what's going on or how to fix the problems? I have a 2014 Moto X.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Genuinely, you'll probably get a quite noticeable battery life boost from going to the Facebook web interface or a wrapper like Metal. Facebook's horrible app has been experimentally demonstrated to massively eat background power.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MikeJF posted:

Genuinely, you'll probably get a quite noticeable battery life boost from going to the Facebook web interface or a wrapper like Metal. Facebook's horrible app has been experimentally demonstrated to massively eat background power.

Dude, just turn off notifications for every single post and update. Check the FB app manually.
It's nowhere near a significant drain on my phone (1% per full charge), and I use a N5 running bluetooth headphones the entire workday (Audible/Digitally Imported/Pocketcasts).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 15, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The majority of the app's background battery usage shows up as used by things like Android System or Android OS processes. It just revs those up far too often, even without most notifications set on.

It's why I said experimentally - there were a few places doing controlled tests not too long ago.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 15, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Woo, including those, it's four percent! Major battery eater! :monocle:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Dude, just turn off notifications for every single post and update. Check the FB app manually.
It's nowhere near a significant drain on my phone (1% per full charge), and I use a N5 running bluetooth headphones the entire workday (Audible/Digitally Imported/Pocketcasts).

You say you listen to stuff all day like that helps your case...it doesn't. Think about how percentages work. If you add a major battery drain will the percentage of battery drained by other apps go up or down?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

GokieKS posted:

Unless you have some ridiculous sound system in your car and need to get the most of FLAC music even in it, just go with BT. It's reliable and works well and the quality is fine for normal people in cars.

yeah, I'm less concerned about BT from a quality standpoint and more concerned from an "it's always been kind of a pain in the rear end to get things paired w/out futzing with it a lot" standpoint. it's been a long time since I've tried it though so I'm sure it's gotten better, also I believe at the time I was trying to use my bt headset for calls while commuting as well so that may have contributed to the problem.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Couple of quick questions

I borrowed a friend's Z3 Compact to help me make a decision about switching to Android. I logged in to my google account and the Z3 is now attached to my account as my device, which is fair enough.

1) How do I remove this device from my goole account, given I'm about to return it to its rightful owner?

Also,

2 ) Do devices that come with a USB C port support 5Gb/s transfer speeds when connected to USB 3.0 ports on a computer with a compatible cable? I'm sure the HTC 10 does - What about the Note 7/Other USB-C phones?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

Since moving to San Antonio, basic functions of my phone have stopped working reliably. I already posted about my trusted location working maybe half the time, but I've noticed in the last few days that texts often fail to send,especially to my wife (she's on AT&T, I'm on Verizon). Any ideas what's going on or how to fix the problems? I have a 2014 Moto X.

Try a factory reset?

Does Verizon use APN settings? Maybe check those.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
So upthread I maybe think I said I was getting a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro? If not pretend I did. Well today it arrived and I have to say, I like it a whole bunch. Sure it has a little Chinese bloatware, but most of it on the Global ROM that it comes with outside mainland China is things like their own backup and media services, which take all of two seconds to disable or replace. It's got a nice metal body, it's fast and responsive, the fingerprint scanner gimmick is actually really accurate and useful, and the screen's really dang good. And it was just barely over 200AUD, which is like fourteen American cents. I'm upgrading from a first-model Samsung Galaxy, so anything iPhone 3-era and above would have been a huge improvement, but my wife has a S7 and honestly in my casual phone-use-case I can't imagine why I'd need to pay 500 more for one of them.

It's a good phone.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Aaronicon posted:

in my casual phone-use-case I can't imagine why I'd need to pay 500 more for one of them.

You came to the wrong thread if you want to speak about "casual phone-use-case", this is the one where people debate fiercely whether the shortcuts in the notification pane should be customizable or not.

Good to know you're happy though, I'm not entirely sure why Chinese phones aren't talked about more here, they're really common in Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

binarysmurf posted:

1) How do I remove this device from my goole account, given I'm about to return it to its rightful owner?

In the device, you can go settings - > accounts and remove it from there. But, I don't think you can remove the primary Google account. If not, settings - > backup & reset and do a factory reset.

It looks like you can also go here to do it on the web.
https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity