Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
gotta have that space national guard so the orbital colonies don't get any ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

gotta have that space national guard so the orbital colonies don't get any ideas

That's why the space navy needs a space army to fight, also maybe xenomorphs

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

That's why the space navy needs a space army to fight, also maybe xenomorphs

counterpoint: the space navy is actually the guys breeding the xenomorphs

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

counterpoint: the space navy is actually the guys breeding the xenomorphs

Only because the xenomorphs are obviously the next wunderwaffe that will put down rebellious planets

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Why would the space force even need reservist? Do you like, expect space force to deploy into a space war and need the guardsmen/reservist to back fill?

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Why would the space force even need reservist? Do you like, expect space force to deploy into a space war and need the guardsmen/reservist to back fill?

the thing about the mic is that it is all run by mbas, it’s about budget. some mckinsey general is trying to absorb the budget of some pwc general

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Mandel Brotset posted:

the thing about the mic is that it is all run by mbas, it’s about budget. some mckinsey general is trying to absorb the budget of some pwc general

Companies like Raytheon actually contract companies like McKinsey to streamline their profit generation to create production metrics and whatever euphemisms they use to fire people to create shareholder value

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Has anyone considered that defense industries can create shareholder value by having the shareholders country not be bombed into the ground? No? Well, ok, maybe give it a thought sometime.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao forever that everyone laughed at Trump for making the space force but Biden is not only keeping it going but keeps trying to bulk it up and legitimize it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
more like united states space farce

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

more like space :fart:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Lostconfused posted:

Has anyone considered that defense industries can create shareholder value by having the shareholders country not be bombed into the ground? No? Well, ok, maybe give it a thought sometime.

Think of all the juicy reconstruction contracts. Don't even need to actually do any reconstruction, either.

E: Saw an article talking about how it'll probably take 80 years to rebuild Gaza. Now there might not be much money in this particular case but imagine passing a chance to grift for like a century.

Kassad has issued a correction as of 11:31 on May 12, 2024

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
More loser talk from Janet Yellen about China outproducing us.

https://www.marketplace.org/2024/05/09/inflation-is-not-yet-where-it-needs-to-be-treasury-secretary-yellen-says/

quote:

Ryssdal: Let me ask you about one of the focuses of that trip, which is, as you mentioned, overcapacity in advanced products, electric vehicles, batteries, all of those things. Is it possible we’re just being outcompeted by the Chinese in those fields?

Yellen: Well, we don’t think the playing field is level. And we think China is massively subsidizing investment in this set of industries that they have targeted as critical to their growth prospects.

Ryssdal: Subsidizing more than we are with our investments in the CHIPS Act and the infrastructure and all that? Because we’re pouring billions — you are pouring billions in.

Yellen: Well, we have targeted a few industries, particularly clean energy, electric vehicles, batteries, renewables, where we’re not trying to dominate the globe and be the only country in the world that supplies these goods. But we do think it’s critical for national security, for the sake of supply chain resilience, and to create good manufacturing jobs where people can get ahead to have a presence in these industries. So yes, we’re very explicitly subsidizing investments in these important strategic areas. And what we don’t want to see is massive Chinese subsidies to firms with huge overcapacity that will just drive our firms out of business. And I can tell you, this is a concern not just of the United States, but of Europe and Japan and of developing countries like India and Mexico.

I think what’s happened in China is that China has a macroeconomic situation where an unusually low fraction of their output, their economy’s output, is devoted to consumer spending. And they have a savings rate that’s the highest, among the highest in the world, around 45%. They used to channel that savings into infrastructure, they really don’t need that much more infrastructure, then into real estate and property development —

Kai: Which has been problematical —

Yellen: And that sector has problems. And what to do with all of those funds? Well, their decision is: “Let’s channel those funds that we don’t need to put into property and infrastructure, into advanced manufacturing.” And that’s what we’re seeing. And so the subsidies are enormous. And China has built enough capacity, for example, in solar panels to supply twice the total global demand. So, you know, we suffered in the late 1990s and early 2000s what’s called a “China shock,” in which really Chinese dumping and overcapacity put many American workers — caused layoffs of many American workers in many parts of the country. And we don’t want to see that happen again.

Found it from this twitter post
https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1789488343513969066

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BearsBearsBears posted:

i can't believe the guys who aren't forehead-deep in state-sponsored grifts are outcompeting us

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BearsBearsBears posted:

wow they dont need infrastructure or real estate as much anymore cuz they built it, so they are doing advanced industry?

lmbo, man i remember the first time i read the ghost cities articles like 15 years ago or whatever as a lib and had a chuckle.
hell, laughing even more nowadays.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

500excf type r posted:

Companies like Raytheon actually contract companies like McKinsey to streamline their profit generation to create production metrics and whatever euphemisms they use to fire people to create shareholder value

this is, of course, entirely unrelated to the thread title. do NOT imply it is related to the thread title!!!

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

fits my needs posted:

lmbo, man i remember the first time i read the ghost cities articles like 15 years ago

This was the exact propaganda that broke the illusion for me, one day I decided to look up what the story was on that, and just found the information the party had put online about development plans for literally anyone to look at that laid it out completely. Certainly all these hard hitting reporters were able to find this in their research, right? Strange that I never heard it before!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it's not fair that they get to plan farther ahead than the next earnings call. mods?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Grimnarsson posted:

The Vietnam example that I had in mind was a veteran telling a story how they killed an elderly couple at some field, and how as the incident was reported "upwards" that elderly couple transformed into a squad of heavily armed insurgents. That's because the US couldn't measure success in that war by traditional metrics like taking territory, defeating enemy armies, taking their capitol. They figured that in order to win you should identify key statistics of previously won wars and then aim at those goals: bombs dropped, enemies killed. But at every stage there was an incentive to massage those numbers, ever more so as they became more detached from what was actually going on in the field.

This reminds me of an excerpt I once saw, maybe even on this forum, from a book written by a guy who was an officer in Vietnam. One of the events he was describing was being pressured to accept medals and commendations for his performance in a battle that he insisted did not actually happen.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Hey Yellen - the difference is when china subsidizes something they actually get what they pay for you dumb bitch

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/JaharaMatisek/status/1789364503676596241

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I would love to see the US try to do total war in 2024. I imagine the scheme would just be to quintuple military spending, offer prisoners the chance to do military service in return for no time off their sentence, and make insider trading officially legal for some reason

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

the starship troopers “war! we’re going to war!” scene except instead of soliders, it’s mbas running toward the money printer

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
It would take, at minimum, 9/11, to get the public to support a major war, and more than that for a war against Russia or China, that would have major costs at home and abroad for the Yankee population.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Hmm. Yes let's take on Russia and China. A pointless two front war against two separate major world powers, both of which would normally never work together but who have found common ground in being sick of the bullshit. Oh also we're facilitating a genocide against a semitic peoples at the same time. Modern USA reminds me of someone but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

It would take, at minimum, 9/11, to get the public to support a major war, and more than that for a war against Russia or China, that would have major costs at home and abroad for the Yankee population.

there’s no where in america that could host 9/11 2 and rally the public. if it did happen half the country would cheer it as comeuppance for voting for biden or trump. the only part of America that has bipartisan support is israel and im told the idf would ensure nothing like that could ever happen there…

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I love how all these NAFO accounts went from crowing about Russia losing a bajillion orks and tanks to panicked articles about how we need NATO/EU troops in Ukraine NOW.

https://x.com/JaharaMatisek/status/1643042563992043520

https://x.com/JaharaMatisek/status/1762234678826639836

https://x.com/JaharaMatisek/status/1763234732152697134

https://x.com/JaharaMatisek/status/1782267584684892181

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

The French had already created the ARVN 20 years earlier. How much time did the Americans need?

The answer is that there was never a solidified idea of a South Vietnamese nation, so building any sort of national army was a non-starter.

I mean Diem did try to create a Catholic Vietnamese nation...

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Specifying that Europe, not NATO, should be fed into the chipper shredder.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Space Force is fuckin weird man

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

sullat posted:

I mean Diem did try to create a Catholic Vietnamese nation...

Which had some level of support in the early 50's, and was immediately frittered away by being corrupt and not offering any kind of social project that could compete with the North. It's the same problem as any other kind of proxy state, where the nationalists realize that their ambitions get sidelined too because national interest is ultimately secondary to their sponsors'.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Buffer posted:

Hey Yellen - the difference is when china subsidizes something they actually get what they pay for you dumb bitch

The US semiconductor industry--famously developed 100% independently from government subsidies or investment

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

chickenhawks all becoming huge liberals (and vice versa) is amazing. there is absolutely zero overlap between guys who want to “confront” China and guys willing to join up. Why would there be? soldiering is for dummies and the market has determined I’m best utilized sending emails.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Morbus posted:

The US semiconductor industry--famously developed 100% independently from government subsidies or investment
Not only U.S.A. proper.

wikipedia posted:

Morris Chang, founder of TSMC.

As the head of a government-sponsored non-profit, he was in charge of promoting industrial and technological development in Taiwan. Chang founded TSMC in 1987 thanks to transfer of production technology and license of intellectual property from Philips in exchange for 27.6 percent equity and financing from the government's National Development Fund, Executive Yuan for 48.3 percent stake. Soon, TSMC became one of the world's most profitable chip makers.
:2monocle:

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 21:58 on May 12, 2024

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BadOptics posted:

I love how all these NAFO accounts went from crowing about Russia losing a bajillion orks and tanks to panicked articles about how we need NATO/EU troops in Ukraine NOW.

https://x.com/JaharaMatisek/status/1762234678826639836

Aren't most of those eight thousand other tanks mostly costly paper weights because no ones make engines for them in like 20 years

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
there's also a point where this just becomes ww 3 and everything that means

i don't think they realise that the west is playing a really dumb game of chicken right now and isn't actually committed to total war

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Fell Mood posted:

Hmm. Yes let's take on Russia and China. A pointless two front war against two separate major world powers, both of which would normally never work together but who have found common ground in being sick of the bullshit. Oh also we're facilitating a genocide against a semitic peoples at the same time. Modern USA reminds me of someone but I can't quite put my finger on it.

You're forgetting the wars in the desert and at sea that are being lost.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

KomradeX posted:

Aren't most of those eight thousand other tanks mostly costly paper weights because no ones make engines for them in like 20 years

The tanks sitting in the high desert aren't like lubed up ready to go; they're in deep storage and many of them have been used as parts donors for years or decades.

The Marine Corps tanks they're talking about already largely got slated or upgraded for Army usage, because older tanks that Marines were using were in much better condition than tanks that have been sitting in the desert for years.

I mean, is it possible to refurbish and reuse a lot of the older tanks in storage? Yes, that's why they're stored in high altitude, low humidity environment and catalogued and inventoried by grade/condition, but you're talking dedicated lines and effort to refit them (like we've seen Russia doing with its older stock, refitting old tanks and APCs and such to refit their own lines, at considerable expense). I don't think the US is going to set up a supply line to refit hundreds of armored vehicles on Ukraine's behalf, but maybe I'm wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the us wouldn't do that on their own behalf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Not only U.S.A. proper.

:2monocle:

Literally every successful (and not successful) semiconductor manufacturing industry has recieved huge amounts of state funding and support so it's absolutely hilarious to criticize china for doing the same. Even dumber to accuse them of trying to have a "monopoly" and take over the entire sector given the current market.

skill issue