Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Trump fined $9000 for gag order, warned jail is on the table for further violations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We rate this a half-wriggle.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Subjunctive posted:

We rate this a half-wriggle.

One rapid, stocatto pee-pee twitch for sure

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The walls have closed in by an additional six inches

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler
So he gets fined at the next hearing on May 2 for another 4 instances, then what? Possibility of contempt jail?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Which implies to me that the DOJ wasn't yet confident enough or the evidence strong enough to do as suggested by Lofgren. That certainly isn't "everyone".

The DoJ wasn't confident to investigate? You realize at this point you're arguing in favour of what you claim to be arguing against and have moved to trying to justify the foot dragging rather than denying it, right?

There's no evidence of the DoJ aggressively pursuing investigations during Biden's first year in office, and if they had been we should have seen it. The lack of any evidence against (when by every means we should expect quite a lot of it) is more than sufficient evidence for their foot dragging.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Independence posted:

So he gets fined at the next hearing on May 2 for another 4 instances, then what? Possibility of contempt jail?

Then hopefully nothing, as Trump gets the message and shuts up. If he can't or won't, things will likely escalate.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Independence posted:

It’s up to the judges discretion. Jail was already on the table and still is if he does it again. But there’s no way to know what the judge is going to decide.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It’s up to the judges discretion. Jail was already on the table and still is if he does it again. But there’s no way to know what the judge is going to decide.

In his order he laments that he can't fine more but is limited to $1000, and that if that is an insufficient deterrent then the only remaining remedy is jail time

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
He also ordered that the posts be removed. If Trump is going to violate again, he'll likely also refuse to remove the posts, which would be an immediate additional violation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I assume Trump wants to get thrown in jail for a day for the optics to his base, and he's instructed his social media team to delete any offending stuff after one night in the clinker.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I like to imagine Trump is being advised getting jailed would be beneficial to his campaign by riling up the base, and is convincing himself that one night in jail is no big deal at all, and then it happens and he actually can't stand having to sleep on a jail bed and not have a phone or anything else to occupy his pea brain.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
One week per offending tweet seems reasonable

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Independence posted:

It's up to the judge, but if the maximum fine fails to deter further violations, then the judge is going to escalate to something bigger.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I assume Trump wants to get thrown in jail for a day for the optics to his base, and he's instructed his social media team to delete any offending stuff after one night in the clinker.

I get this sentiment because it's what I would do in Trump's situation, but I really can't imagine Trump either being that long-term in his thinking or being willing to pay a cost for his actions.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Trump goes to jail, do the SS goons all cram into an adjacent cell or what

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I don't think the judge will actually send him to jail because of the Secret Service, but if he is jailed for contempt, does he go straight to Rikers or is there someplace more private for him?

Because a night in Rikers is going to be a lot worse he expects.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

I don't think the judge will actually send him to jail because of the Secret Service, but if he is jailed for contempt, does he go straight to Rikers or is there someplace more private for him?

I always figured that any incarceration served by Trump would have to be house arrest.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The easiest way to do it would probably to have SS agents take the place of guards within the normal rota, but that would require a lot of planning ahead of time (which IIRC it was reported is actually being done already)

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

The X-man cometh posted:

Rikers is a prison. Trump would be held in a jail for a night or XX number of nights for contempt. Or more likely house arrest of some sort.

edit: ah I just looked at wikipedia and it seems I am incorrect. The Rikers Island complex holds ten jails. So I guess that would be a place he could be taken?

beerinator fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 30, 2024

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I always figured that any incarceration served by Trump would have to be house arrest.

Which is lame as gently caress, he already spends all his time hunkered down in golden safe spaces posting bullshit all day, you are depriving him of basically nothing but the ability to go be campaigning but he can definitely just pissbaby it up from home and still manage to win an election I think

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Would a Faraday cage and a scold's bridle violate the 8th Amendment?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I think you are all missing a key point.

A day in jail for Trump is a day without uppers.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Retro42 posted:

These are NYC cops we’re talking about. He’ll have his phone, his pills, catering from wherever, and a rack of selfies with NYPD staff and any prisoners he wants to.

Let’s be real here folks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chutkan could jail him in DC immediately, for violating the conditions of his RoR/release.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PainterofCrap posted:

Chutkan could jail him in DC immediately, for violating the conditions of his RoR/release.

Technically he has violated his bond in almost all of his cases. Getting re-arrested is always a violation of bond and I have had many clients jailed for nothing more.

It is of course a presumption of innocence problem yet nevertheless

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GlyphGryph posted:

The DoJ wasn't confident to investigate? You realize at this point you're arguing in favour of what you claim to be arguing against and have moved to trying to justify the foot dragging rather than denying it, right?

There's no evidence of the DoJ aggressively pursuing investigations during Biden's first year in office, and if they had been we should have seen it. The lack of any evidence against (when by every means we should expect quite a lot of it) is more than sufficient evidence for their foot dragging.

There's a vague claim that the DOJ did nothing, or not enough:

quote:

I mean it would have been more possible if the Biden DOJ hadn't dragged it's feet for a year on even investigating Trump's various crimes. That stupid move might literally cost us our democracy.

That it didn't arrest Trump when it allegedly had the chance:

quote:

Specifically Merrick Garland, the limpest wrist in law. Dude could've ridden the post-J6 high and clapped the fucker in chains but no he wanted to just let poo poo play out.

And I'm not exactly sure what this claim is or what the rest of the post is saying:

quote:

DOJ should have been on this from the jump and they really underestimated what the J6 cmte was going to be able to show.

It kinda sounds like the idea here was the DOJ was waiting on Congress to provide it evidence that it shouldn't have?

The key thing here is the central core claim "That the DOJ was negligent in its duties" and I am asking for (substantive) evidence that it was negligent. What processes should they in a political neutral vacuum could have done, that internal policies strongly suggest they should have done that they simply chose not to for objectively specious reasons.

And specifically not asking for "They didn't do enough because I think they should have done more because it would've been politically convenient."

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

beerinator posted:

Rikers is a prison. Trump would be held in a jail for a night or XX number of nights for contempt. Or more likely house arrest of some sort.

edit: ah I just looked at wikipedia and it seems I am incorrect. The Rikers Island complex holds ten jails. So I guess that would be a place he could be taken?
There, or the Metro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Detention_Center,_Brooklyn

Metro is where they kept El Chapo during his trial.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
He literally feels contempt for this court, but is too cowardly to mouth off in court.

Observable truth.

E: in my head, he posts something straddling the line (technically just shy of violating the gag order, but clearly contemptuous of the court), judge calls him in, shows him the post, asks him to read the post, asks him if he feels that way now, and locks him up when he replies in the affirmative

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 30, 2024

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nah, his germaphobic rear end would freak the gently caress out if he even thought about being in jail cell.

Besides, there's no way that almost 80 years of living consequence free has enabled him to even contemplate being sent to jail instead of handing over a few stacks of his sucker base's money.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Gyges posted:

Nah, his germaphobic rear end would freak the gently caress out if he even thought about being in jail cell.

Besides, there's no way that almost 80 years of living consequence free has enabled him to even contemplate being sent to jail instead of handing over a few stacks of his sucker base's money.

He would also not be able to get his skin coloration on before trial. Imagine people seeing him with his normal tone?

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Cimber posted:

There, or the Metro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Detention_Center,_Brooklyn

Metro is where they kept El Chapo during his trial.

It's also has experience housing former presidents (of Honduras).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Epstein's cell?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Epstein's cell?

Federal. Sadly.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Trump removed the offending posts just now.
Found further down on this link.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Retro42 posted:

This is actually an interesting point. I assume he can get a doctor's prescription for drat near anything, but who prescribes for inmates?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

This is actually an interesting point. I assume he can get a doctor's prescription for drat near anything, but who prescribes for inmates?

It depends on the jail I'm guessing, but stories like this make me think you shouldn't expect even a basic level of care for your wellbeing:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/heart-transplant-man-dies-jail-b2345958.html

(Story is about a man who got put in jail, brought his vital medicine with him, warned the staff about his heart transplant and how important his medication is, only for them to refuse to give it to him. He dies. This was a two-day jail sentence for "simple assault," a verbal threat against his neighbor.)

But then again, this would never happen to Trump, I bet the guards would be very eager to please him compared to other inmates for SOME reason

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 30, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

regular providers. they're just administered by /gestures broadly and generally all at one time.

you'd think the state would pay for extended release anti seizure meds, especially since they can't appropriately dose things multiple times a day, but nope!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
As I understand it, trump is now technically out on bond after being found in contempt, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
He's out on bond on all his pending charges. Technically the contempt charge is no longer pending, he has been sentenced.