Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why did it bite you in your rear end?

Plorkyeran posted:

Turning incorrect and misleading code that works by coincidence into code that doesn't work at all while trying to fix warnings is pretty common. It's nearly always worth it in the long run, but fixing hundreds of warnings is very likely to cause some short-term pain.

That was one thing, for sure.

But now that we've stabilized, we get a lot more build breaks. There are some post-compile validation tools that throw warnings, and our build system is a serious horror so it requires that you build certain, sometimes not-obvious places to actually get them to run. Combine with a 2h full-build time and you have a lot of people checking code in without actually running all the validation locally.

A sane build system would be smart enough to automagically back changes out if they caused build breaks. We expect to be fixing it Real Soon Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dessert Rose posted:

A sane build system would be smart enough to automagically back changes out if they caused build breaks. We expect to be fixing it Real Soon Now.

Easier than that can be making a way to tell the build server to build a given branch, since then you also know that it's being validated in the canonical configuration. Some CI systems have support for this sort of thing built in; we lived and died by buildbot try when I was at Mozilla, because it took multiple hours to run the full test suite, and there were ~10 platforms to run them on.

If you have a ton of people pushing to the same repo all day, you can get into rebase wars, but it's relatively rare that a safe-looking rebase to a known-good changeset actually causes problems.

Edit: this is actually useful even if you can automatically back out, because auto-backouts can cause everyone who updated in that window to have to rebase, and you end up with revs in the tree that are broken so it gets hard to bisect. A staging ground from which changesets are transplanted when they pass can be really nice too, since it gives the same push-and-go-home workflow without the repository pollution. That's usually harder to set up, though.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 4, 2014

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26879185

quote:

A five-year-old boy who worked out a security vulnerability on Microsoft's Xbox Live service has been officially thanked by the company. Kristoffer Von Hassel, from San Diego, figured out how to log in to his dad's account without the right password. Kristoffer discovered that if he simply pressed the space bar to fill up the password field, the system would let him in to his dad's account.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Easier than that can be making a way to tell the build server to build a given branch, since then you also know that it's being validated in the canonical configuration. Some CI systems have support for this sort of thing built in; we lived and died by buildbot try when I was at Mozilla, because it took multiple hours to run the full test suite, and there were ~10 platforms to run them on.

If you have a ton of people pushing to the same repo all day, you can get into rebase wars, but it's relatively rare that a safe-looking rebase to a known-good changeset actually causes problems.

Edit: this is actually useful even if you can automatically back out, because auto-backouts can cause everyone who updated in that window to have to rebase, and you end up with revs in the tree that are broken so it gets hard to bisect. A staging ground from which changesets are transplanted when they pass can be really nice too, since it gives the same push-and-go-home workflow without the repository pollution. That's usually harder to set up, though.

I like how you think we use git or anything close to as good. It's been "coming" for months.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Why would anybody name their kid Kristoffer Wilhelm von Hassel. Kid must have his head in a toilet almost constantly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why would anybody name their kid Kristoffer Wilhelm von Hassel. Kid must have his head in a toilet almost constantly.

What's wrong with calling your kid "Chris"?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

quote:

The company also gave him four free games, $50 (£30), and a year-long subscription to Xbox Live.
Taken too soon :smith:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Subjunctive posted:

We have a similar system and it's amazing. Tests can take upwards of an hour to run locally, but we shard the tests out to a farm when a Pull Request is opened and they can complete in about 10 minutes. Jenkins manages all of it pretty well, though it can freak out when a spot instance is killed on EC2.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dicky B posted:

Taken too soon :smith:

The reward is some bullshit too. That's a high-four-maybe-five-figure vulnerability given any reasonable bounty program.

necrotic posted:

We have a similar system and it's amazing. Tests can take upwards of an hour to run locally, but we shard the tests out to a farm when a Pull Request is opened and they can complete in about 10 minutes. Jenkins manages all of it pretty well, though it can freak out when a spot instance is killed on EC2.

Yeah, and it avoids the chair-throwing fury of "someone bumped into the build server and now everyone's diffs are getting backed out". My brief use of auto-revert was tragic. (One-button revert from the build results page is all kinds of righteous, though.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

The reward is some bullshit too. That's a high-four-maybe-five-figure vulnerability given any reasonable bounty program.

Yeah, and it avoids the chair-throwing fury of "someone bumped into the build server and now everyone's diffs are getting backed out". My brief use of auto-revert was tragic. (One-button revert from the build results page is all kinds of righteous, though.)

Auto revert is kinda f-ed up for jenkins I think. I really like what we have here:

Separate process that watches for new branches in the form of 'push/master/SOMETHING' or 'push/develop/SOMETHING' etc...
When one is found in a serial fashion it will merge the latest master/develop in (something the developers are supposed to do anyway but meh)
kick off all tests
if the pass that ref becomes the new master/develop
Since it's serial there may be other pushes in the queue now that get processed with this now new master or develop

Pushing directly to master will give an error in the pre push hook on the server, which can be bypassed but is a manual process. (The pre-push checks that the HEAD SHA has passed tests so you could manually kick off a test run and then push but no reason to do so.)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Plorkyeran posted:

not sure if troll

Heh. Many SQL databases have a table of numbers, to make up for the lack of a row numbering window function. A table in production with one column, say n, going from 1 ... 10,000 and they hope no query will need to number results more than 10,000.

jneen
Feb 8, 2014

Scaevolus posted:

Having recursive heterogeneous lists is nontrivial.

Duplicating some code 15 times is annoying, but that's far simpler than 5 type system extensions to express nested 2-tuples. And if you have tuples more than 15 long, your program is probably a complete mess anyways.

The answer there is a little disingenuous - it is totaly possible to have a generic n-tuple-to-n-tuple comparison operator, as long as the types match. Just make (x, y, z) sugar for ((x, y), z). Real Haskell:

code:
infixl 1 ~*
(~*) :: a -> b -> (a, b)
x ~* y = (x, y)

main = print $ (1 ~* 2 ~* 3) == (4 ~* 5 ~* 6)
If only comma wasn't reserved...

e: bbcode syntax is hard apparently

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Internet Janitor posted:

At one of my old jobs I had turned in my two week notice and my boss said I should stay around for the whole time in case anybody had questions about the stuff I was maintaining. I wasn't getting assigned any new tasks, so to stave off boredom I started poking around in test fixtures and found that we had about 600 end-to-end tests that were failing. The product was basically an API for reading and writing Word and Excel files, and those tests were all based around manipulating a stable of several thousand random documents found on the internet, opening them, reading data, saving them back out and verifying integrity. Over the course of my remaining days I tracked down about a dozen bugs that accounted for all those failing tests. It was incredibly gratifying to walk away from that codebase with every test fixture lit up green. Practice random acts of kindness to your codebases when you have the chance. It can take a long time to deal with thousands of warnings or failing tests but you can make it through to the other side.

Was this clean content or purifile, by chance?

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
So, the latest OpenSSL bug/vulnerability is causing some serious angst at my workplace and I imagine at various others. Luckily only one person so far has suggested writing our own inhouse alternative to OpenSSL as a response and everyone already knows not to listen to them.

Details: http://heartbleed.com/

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

door.jar posted:

So, the latest OpenSSL bug/vulnerability is causing some serious angst at my workplace and I imagine at various others. Luckily only one person so far has suggested writing our own inhouse alternative to OpenSSL as a response and everyone already knows not to listen to them.

Details: http://heartbleed.com/

:negative: trusting user supplied lengths.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
Here's the diff:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=883475

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
code:
 masque = allBindingsAccessor().mask 

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

C++ code:
#ifdef WIN32
	Sleep(5000);						
#elif defined(__linux__)
	sleep(5000);			
#endif

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
"See, I told you Linux is not as performant as Windows!"

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Dicky B posted:

C++ code:
#ifdef WIN32
	Sleep(5000);						
#elif defined(__linux__)
	sleep(5000);			
#endif

I could have sworn that Linux's implementation of sleep takes an int that is the number of seconds, not milliseconds like Windows. Am I right that that is the horror here?

Literally Elvis fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 8, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You caught it. Good on you.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Objective-C code:
for (int i = 0; i < len; i++)
{
    CFStringAppendFormat(string, NULL, (CFStringRef) @"%02X", data[i]);
}
CFStringLowercase(string, CFLocaleGetSystem());
This is probably written by the same dev I posted about earlier, who insisted on bypassing memory-management features of the platform and doing his own, despite not being very careful about it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The other horror is not using the CFSTR macro.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Dicky B posted:

C++ code:
#ifdef WIN32
	Sleep(5000);						
#elif defined(__linux__)
	sleep(5000);			
#endif

Um, isn't C++ case sensitive? (been too long since I've seen C++)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

eithedog posted:

Um, isn't C++ case sensitive? (been too long since I've seen C++)

That'd be the reason for the ifdef. See if you can find the actual problem with the code!

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Dessert Rose posted:

That'd be the reason for the ifdef. See if you can find the actual problem with the code!

Ah yes - a little googling and then actually reading a couple of answers above clears the matter.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

pokeyman posted:

The other horror is not using the CFSTR macro.

How is that different from using @"string"?

Except for the macro working when compiling straight C.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

zergstain posted:

How is that different from using @"string"?

Except for the macro working when compiling straight C.

Practically, it isn't.

Aesthetically, it obviates the cast, and doesn't pointlessly mix Foundation and CoreFoundation, two things that I think look ugly.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Just managed to fix a wonderful bug in a C++ program I'm working on. It took me the longest time to work out what the hell was happening, but basically I was writing one past the end of an array and clobbering an integer variable used by my program. Then that variable obviously was completely the wrong value and the program ended up exhibiting really bizarre behaviour.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Hammerite posted:

Just managed to fix a wonderful bug in a C++ program I'm working on. It took me the longest time to work out what the hell was happening, but basically I was writing one past the end of an array and clobbering an integer variable used by my program. Then that variable obviously was completely the wrong value and the program ended up exhibiting really bizarre behaviour.

But hey, at least manual memory management is fast! And we get the bonus of stuff like Heartbleed nullifying all SSL for the past few years. And sasser, code red, blaster, or any of the other million worms exploiting buffer overflows.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

The two most common problems in programming are naming things, cache invalidation, and off-by-one errors.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Also you're the horror for not using std::vector which would have caught that in a checked build.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dessert Rose posted:

Also you're the horror for not using std::vector which would have caught that in a checked build.

Is there an easy way to get clang to build with checks on linux, I have to work with a guy who's a little casual about these things.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Dessert Rose posted:

The two most common problems in programming are naming things, cache invalidation, and off-by-one errors.

o most common problems in programming are naming things, cache invalidation, and off-by-one errors.\0buffe

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Content: The guy next to me is checking out pictures of kitchens and couches and bathrooms instead of fixing the bugs he's made. So I've had to come back from starting the next project and take a look at a bug. In one of the pages I found, at the very end of the file, two separate DB calls that then get var_dumped. The var_dump has been commented out because obviously you can't show development stuff on a production site! But they've left the database calls. This isn't the first time I've seen this. They just... the... they don't understand that if you put code in, it does something. They still think that if it doesn't show up on the page, or if what shows up on the page seems reasonable, then there's no problem whatsoever and job well done, let's call it a day and go home.

e: I understand better than most people that you can't be born knowing everything, and you can't be expected to be a whiz at every technology or language or whatever. But I feel like I'm dealing with children. You know when kids are toddlers and they don't understand what life or death is or that they're not the center of the universe and that the world doesn't disappear when you close the curtains? So you're constantly running around after them making sure they're not holding a kitten underwater because 'she's dirty!' or setting fire to the budgie because it looks cold. They just don't understand basic core concepts - but these people are 30 year old adults who have chosen a field that presupposes a sort of basic conceptual understanding of computers and how they work!

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 9, 2014

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dessert Rose posted:

It's a fixed size, I thought things like vector was for collections that might need to be dynamically allocated.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Content: The guy next to me is checking out pictures of kitchens and couches and bathrooms instead of fixing the bugs he's made. So I've had to come back from starting the next project and take a look at a bug. In one of the pages I found, at the very end of the file, two separate DB calls that then get var_dumped. The var_dump has been commented out because obviously you can't show development stuff on a production site! But they've left the database calls. This isn't the first time I've seen this. They just... the... they don't understand that if you put code in, it does something. They still think that if it doesn't show up on the page, or if what shows up on the page seems reasonable, then there's no problem whatsoever and job well done, let's call it a day and go home.

e: I understand better than most people that you can't be born knowing everything, and you can't be expected to be a whiz at every technology or language or whatever. But I feel like I'm dealing with children. You know when kids are toddlers and they don't understand what life or death is or that they're not the center of the universe and that the world doesn't disappear when you close the curtains? So you're constantly running around after them making sure they're not holding a kitten underwater because 'she's dirty!' or setting fire to the budgie because it looks cold. They just don't understand basic core concepts - but these people are 30 year old adults who have chosen a field that presupposes a sort of basic conceptual understanding of computers and how they work!

Soon you will learn that about 50% of "developers" are exactly like them, and then you shall know what it means to have existential torment.

Then you shall double your rates, because you know you are worth it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

quote:

> No. OpenSSL has exploit mitigation countermeasures to make sure it's
> exploitable.

What Ted is saying may sound like a joke...

So years ago we added exploit mitigations counter measures to libc
malloc and mmap, so that a variety of bugs can be exposed. Such
memory accesses will cause an immediate crash, or even a core dump,
then the bug can be analyed, and fixed forever.

Some other debugging toolkits get them too. To a large extent these
come with almost no performance cost.

But around that time OpenSSL adds a wrapper around malloc & free so
that the library will cache memory on it's own, and not free it to the
protective malloc.

You can find the comment in their sources ...

#ifndef OPENSSL_NO_BUF_FREELISTS
/* On some platforms, malloc() performance is bad enough that you can't just

OH, because SOME platforms have slow performance, it means even if you
build protective technology into malloc() and free(), it will be
ineffective. On ALL PLATFORMS, because that option is the default,
and Ted's tests show you can't turn it off because they haven't tested
without it in ages.

So then a bug shows up which leaks the content of memory mishandled by
that layer. If the memoory had been properly returned via free, it
would likely have been handed to munmap, and triggered a daemon crash
instead of leaking your keys.

OpenSSL is not developed by a responsible team.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/211963

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Funny you say that. In here people tend to comment stuff out, but unfortunately commenting might happen on multiple levels. First, there's PHP level (/* */), then there's template level ({* *}), then, there's HTML level (<!-- -->). Guess what do I deal with?

Additionally - people comment stuff out when functionality changes (bear in mind that we're running on SVN, so it's possible to look back what it changed from, etc). Yup - keeping the old code that was used to pull out all the users, when now this screen displays all the companies is a great idea. Oh, and the JS code that was here before, let's comment it out as well! Oh, and let's do it a couple of times - because you know, if we'll want to get back to the old code it's easy to spot which code should be commented and which one shouldn't.

Edit: actually, the comparisons you're making are remarkably apt. Right now I'm implementing templates (changing static HTML into something that works) and every tab interface only has designed parts that are visible. As: for three tabs that are to display different types of content, in entirely different manner, only the tab that's visible contains the markup. Seriously, what is the thought process here as if not "only things that are visible matter".

canis minor fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hammerite posted:

It's a fixed size, I thought things like vector was for collections that might need to be dynamically allocated.

Vectors are for that, but you can use them for static collections, too. Vectors use a tiny bit more memory, but this tradeoff is worth all of the extra flexibility in nearly all cases.