Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's not the day before, the wedding's on Labor Day he said. It's about 2.5 weeks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

Late last year, I got voluntold that I am doing all of the printed materials (invites, program, menus, Save The Date cards, etc.), website and photography for the owner's nephew's wedding on Labor Day. I'll be on site out of state from Thursday until Monday, shooting photos of the welcome party, pre-party, wedding, reception, and goodbye party.

Today I was told that I am only get paid to shoot the wedding, not for the rest of time I will be away from my family. All of the print stuff - "You get paid a salary. That's part of your job." Thursday, Friday, Tuesday - "You get paid a salary. That's part of your job." If this had been freelance work I would have been paid enough to buy a used car.

Five days away from my family - but I get my salary.

15 years at this job, they just pissed it all away over this stupid wedding. Assholes.

If you have to travel, it would be such a pity if the airline misplaced the camera gear, wouldn't? lovely drat bad luck!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Courtesy TL/DR: I'm mad about our insurance getting worse and the management being loving cowards about telling us.

Just had our annual benefits meeting (presentation) in which they spent 57 out of the 60 minutes telling us all about how great the new HSA option is going to be, 3 minutes answering questions about health insurance terminology, and 0 minutes detailing the changes to the existing plans.

Those changes are as follows:
Coinsurance Percentage: Doubling (meaning I pay twice as much as I do now for any procedure)
Deductible: Quadrupling
Out of pocket maximum: 66% increase.
Copay: Going up by 25% (meh).
Premium: Not different enough to notice.

That's if we stick with the basic plan. If we elect the HSA, everything up there doubles except for the copay which does something I don't understand (but I don't care since I"m not getting the HSA). The company would be contributing to our HSA up to a point, which under certain circumstances would mean we pay less than we would with the basic plan, but under other circumstances more. But that's of course if we only look at the medical costs, and put a zero-dollar value on our time that we'd have to spend filling out all the extra paperwork to just sign up for the drat thing, keeping track of and managing another bank account that is at a different bank from our bank we use for everything else, the tax reporting implications which the company will not be giving us any help with, and whatever other bullshit we'd have to deal with if we actually had to USE our HSA money for anything.

They were really hard-selling the HSA option, overemphasizing the positives (which are basically just, "you get a bit of extra money if you're always healthy") and breezing past or just lying about the negatives, and it was overall very disingenuous. The fact that they didn't even mention the differences between the old plans and the new though, that's what really pissed me off, because everything is flat-out worse and we're getting nothing to compensate us. Also they've postponed performance reviews (and therefore the raise/promotion cycle) for 6 months, which means in addition to the effective pay cut from the insurance getting shittier, we get to enjoy another effective pay cut due to a lack of CoL adjustment.

The company is having cash flow issues. We all know it, they've been open about the numbers. If they had just acknowledged that "yes, yall are getting a bit screwed, we're sorry, we're going to do something about this once our cash flow stabilizes (which it will, I have no doubt of that because I know what's going on there), please deal with it just a bit longer," I wouldn't be as pissed as I am. But they didn't do that, they tried to sneak it past us like loving weasels so instead of just paying me less they're also insulting my loving intelligence.

Dammit, I generally like working here but there's a steady trickle of reasons to leave that's starting to tip the scale in the other direction. :sigh:

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 19, 2017

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nail Rat posted:

It's not the day before, the wedding's on Labor Day he said. It's about 2.5 weeks out.
Oh, ok. Missed that.

All right, then I suppose you can have a professional discussion. Although it may still be too near. I suppose the question is why did he agree in the first place? That said, I know little to nothing about the creative industries, but if this is really out of step with the industry norms, then tell him to shove it?

I somewhat half-heartedly suggesting going nuclear because I thought the owner told him the very day before that he won't be paid. So, that would have been payback. But if he is telling you 2 weeks before, then tell him to gently caress himself? In a professional way.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

John Smith posted:

Oh, ok. Missed that.

All right, then I suppose you can have a professional discussion. Although it may still be too near. I suppose the question is why did he agree in the first place? That said, I know little to nothing about the creative industries, but if this is really out of step with the industry norms, then tell him to shove it?

I somewhat half-heartedly suggesting going nuclear because I thought the owner told him the very day before that he won't be paid. So, that would have been payback. But if he is telling you 2 weeks before, then tell him to gently caress himself? In a professional way.

"sorry, I just checked my calendar and I am already booked for that weekend"

There's no real comeback to that except "I'll give you lots of money".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sure there is.
"Do it or I'll fire you."

I didn't say it was a good/sane response, just a possible one.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The actual answer will be along the lines of "This attitude won't look very good on your next evaluation"

But it doesn't matter because you'll have found a better job at that point.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Sure there is.
"Do it or I'll fire you."

I didn't say it was a good/sane response, just a possible one.

You're right, I forgot what thread I was in.

Still probably a good way to gauge exactly how entitled the manager feels.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Courtesy TL/DR: I'm mad about our insurance getting worse and the management being loving cowards about telling us.
It isn't actually the company cash flow.

Welcome to Obamacare!

Everyone poo poo themselves over the mandate, but the other half that nobody really paid attention to was a tax on "Cadillac" plans. What's a Cadillac plan? Well it sounds like some rich people thing that rich people buy because they're rich, so of course there's no problem with taxing that rich people poo poo because rich people have all the money and can afford to pay a tax.

Except, um, the definition of "Cadillac plan" means that almost every employer-provided healthcare plan up until this year was a Cadillac plan.

If the plan has a dollar value expenditure of more than $10,000 in a year including premiums then it's a Cadillac plan and the employer has to pay a 40% tax on every dollar over $10,000.

Meaning that now employers have a strong incentive to switch everyone to low-premium, high-deductible plans, which are less likely to hit that $10K (because it takes so much spending before the actual coverage kicks in).

There are two goals here: First is mo' money. The second is to reduce healthcare spending by making the employee pay more of it. See, if you fat rich fucks have all your healthcare paid for by insurance, then you'll just go and get it all the time. But if you have to pay your own money, you rich shitheads, then of course you'll only go to the doctor when you really need to because you're doing it on your own nickel.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Before jumping to blaming Obama, check your W-2 to see the actual employer contribution.

If they're not close to $10,000, then it wasn't related to Cadillac plans.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Before jumping to blaming Obama, check your W-2 to see the actual employer contribution.

If they're not close to $10,000, then it wasn't related to Cadillac plans.

B...b...b..but that's what the CEO said!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
See, it doesn't really matter to me WHY the cost of health care is going up, or at least it's irrelevant to why I'm pissed at my company's management. The simple fact is they decided to offer a worse benefit, resulting in an effective pay cut, and they were too cowardly to even mention it.

This is nothing new from management culture in general. These people seem to think that nobody can handle bad news, so they avoid, sugar coat, spin, and outright lie in order to avoid giving said bad news. I'm going to find out anyway, especially with something like this where the facts are in the paperwork, so the only thing they're accomplishing is insulting my intelligence and losing what respect I had for them.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Che Delilas posted:

These people seem to think that nobody can handle bad news

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Miss-Bomarc posted:

It isn't actually the company cash flow.

Welcome to Obamacare!

Everyone poo poo themselves over the mandate, but the other half that nobody really paid attention to was a tax on "Cadillac" plans. What's a Cadillac plan? Well it sounds like some rich people thing that rich people buy because they're rich, so of course there's no problem with taxing that rich people poo poo because rich people have all the money and can afford to pay a tax.

Except, um, the definition of "Cadillac plan" means that almost every employer-provided healthcare plan up until this year was a Cadillac plan.

If the plan has a dollar value expenditure of more than $10,000 in a year including premiums then it's a Cadillac plan and the employer has to pay a 40% tax on every dollar over $10,000.

Meaning that now employers have a strong incentive to switch everyone to low-premium, high-deductible plans, which are less likely to hit that $10K (because it takes so much spending before the actual coverage kicks in).

There are two goals here: First is mo' money. The second is to reduce healthcare spending by making the employee pay more of it. See, if you fat rich fucks have all your healthcare paid for by insurance, then you'll just go and get it all the time. But if you have to pay your own money, you rich shitheads, then of course you'll only go to the doctor when you really need to because you're doing it on your own nickel.

That isn't being implemented for another year, insurance premiums are already going up and have been for a while. It's also probably never going to get implemented, pretty much everyone except health care policy people hate the tax. It's not the "other half" of ACA, that's a giant bill that includes a ton of things. The second biggest part of that law, in fact arguably the biggest, is medicaid expansion, not the mandate/subsidies. And there's plenty of other things politicians hate, like the medical device tax.

Nearly everything you said is wrong, and I say that as a person not thrilled with the ACA who has an insane gold plated employer plan. (In fact, I'd really like to see the US get rid of the health insurance employer tax exemption...) If you have a true gold plated plan, you either work for a gigantic and/or really wealthy employer, the government, and/or have special union benefits. This reeks of the employer nakedly passing costs along to employees, an effective pay decrease.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
The intent was that employers with high-payment plans would keep the plans but start paying taxes on them, or would transfer compensation from less-taxed medical benefits to actually-taxed salary.

It is honestly true that the people who wrote the ACA never considered "they'll just stop giving good health insurance" to be a thing that might happen. Otherwise they wouldn't have kept the individual tax credit for high out-of-pocket medical spending.

If you want to be "RARGH EMPLOYERS GREED DARGH" that's fine and there's meat there, just get it straight what's actually happening. There is, actually, something special about 2018 that's causing a lot of people to get switched to high-deductible plans.

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's also probably never going to get implemented, pretty much everyone except health care policy people hate the tax.
It's cute how you think that health care policy people A) aren't making the decisions and B) give two fucks what anyone else thinks

quote:

The second biggest part of that law, in fact arguably the biggest, is medicaid expansion, not the mandate/subsidies.
how do you think they planned to get the money for medicaid expansions? quantitative easing?

quote:

(In fact, I'd really like to see the US get rid of the health insurance employer tax exemption...)
which is what the Cadillac-plan tax is about, actually

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Miss-Bomarc posted:

It is honestly true that the people who wrote the ACA never considered "they'll just stop giving good health insurance" to be a thing that might happen. Otherwise they wouldn't have kept the individual tax credit for high out-of-pocket medical spending.

No, they did, they just had a different definition of bad insurance. It's why a bunch of people technically lost insurance (because it was never really going to pay for anything).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Welp, apparently I started this whole derail for nothing. I signed up for the basic plan, I'm paying for the basic plan, and my company benefits portal says I'm getting the basic plan, but the My Account page on the insurance company's website says I have the premium plan benefits, and that's what doctors have seen when they bill my insurance. So the real reason my company didn't mention that our insurance was getting way worse is that it isn't, and I've just been benefiting from a paperwork error on somebody's part.

HEH

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
We have a few contract security guys for our section of the building because the VP in charge is way more scared of the cocaine cowboys upstairs than is necessary. They each show up on different days of the week and one of them will sometimes pop in to my office to say hey at the end of the day because he's as bored as we are, or show my office mate some dumb video on his phone.

With today's eclipse, his video du jour was labeled as an "eclipse video" that was just some dude pointing a camera up at the sun and then slowly lowering his nut sack to block out the sun :stare: I don't care enough or like HR enough to narc him out, but really dude? You don't know any better?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

C-Euro posted:

With today's eclipse, his video du jour was labeled as an "eclipse video" that was just some dude pointing a camera up at the sun and then slowly lowering his nut sack to block out the sun :stare: I don't care enough or like HR enough to narc him out, but really dude? You don't know any better?

For the record, I think this is completely inappropriate in any situation.

That being said, link?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

C-Euro posted:

We have a few contract security guys for our section of the building because the VP in charge is way more scared of the cocaine cowboys upstairs than is necessary. They each show up on different days of the week and one of them will sometimes pop in to my office to say hey at the end of the day because he's as bored as we are, or show my office mate some dumb video on his phone.

Same, except the head of QC instead of a security guard.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My bro sent it to me and I stupidly showed an older coworker cause I thought it was real. Luckily this 62 year old dude has a better sense of humor than you squares

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think it's more "well that could have gone badly if it had been someone else"

We're goons we've all seen a man's stretched anus more times than we can count I don't think balls in front of the sun can faze us

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The video sounds totally inappropriate for work, but it also depends on knowing your audience and it sounds like he knew you weren't going to be upset enough to complain about it (or he didn't care)

The video also sounds pretty funny, tbqh.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shugojin posted:

I think it's more "well that could have gone badly if it had been someone else"

Yeah this is pretty much it, I don't mind some juvenile humor but I wouldn't show something like that to any co-worker no matter how well I thought I knew them. It's a big risk for a two-second laugh, you know?

And like I said I don't particularly care for our on-site HR person so I'm not about to do her job for her!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

At least tell us if it had the music from 2001: A Space Odyssey as a soundtrack.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
That is pretty fuckin funny tbqh

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just ended an email with "please advise". On purpose.

AND I'D DO IT AGAIN! AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
thank u for doing the needful

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

docbeard posted:

I used to send requests for clarification or instruction to my boss and close with that. He ignored the hell out of me, so being a little passive aggressive felt good. Then I'd just do whatever needed to be done my way and if he complained, I had a CYA.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

docbeard posted:

you monster

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

docbeard posted:

I do that all the time. I can't think of a more professional way to say "What the gently caress?"

"Your employee reports XYZ, however according to our calculation it should be ABC. Please advise."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nice I looped my hire date so my paid vacation refilled (and increased by a week) :toot:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FrozenVent posted:

I do that all the time. I can't think of a more professional way to say "What the gently caress?"

"Your employee reports XYZ, however according to our calculation it should be ABC. Please advise."

"Your employee did this, but per procedures and policies they should have done that instead. Correcting this error at this point will cause a customer service issue. Please review."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

mllaneza posted:

I used to send requests for clarification or instruction to my boss and close with that. He ignored the hell out of me, so being a little passive aggressive felt good. Then I'd just do whatever needed to be done my way and if he complained, I had a CYA.

I used to do this with a micromanager I had. I would send her status updates on everything no matter how trivial. I also sent her a lot of "unless otherwise directed, I will do x" emails.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
It's hard to contextualize it because no one knows anything about actuaries but I'll try:

I got a really good review from my manager for my internship, and during it she took time to talk to me about non-actuarial opportunities that actuaries with strong technical skills (like me, apparently) have gone on to take, citing a person she used to manage and someone in our team who has his ACAS and is returning to school to get his PhD in data science this fall (he's worked here the past few years).

Is that a roundabout way of telling me I don't have a job and I'm not good at this? I trust her but I'm not sure if I should read between the lines.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
She's telling you you don't have the people skills for actuarial work. Sorry, OP.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

therobit posted:

"Your employee did this, but per procedures and policies they should have done that instead. Correcting this error at this point will cause a customer service issue. Please review."

The sense of the email was "hey supplier, you're trying to pull a fast one on me and I've caught you. 'Sup?"

Seriously my main supplier is... special. I've earned my salary twice over in the last two months just catching their mistakes and their "uh actually it's in your interest to do XYZ" bullshit.

Seriously guys we have a super long term contract, how about we all get along?

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I used to work for a global agricultural machinery producer that outsourced its IT hardware to IBM. At my level, I had to deal with all the poo poo and non-communication this bought while they maintained they respected the SLA's. Please advise" was a godsend! It made for a great CYA trail that put the ball in their camp. If only I had known about "Please do the needful"!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hoshi posted:

It's hard to contextualize it because no one knows anything about actuaries but I'll try:

I got a really good review from my manager for my internship, and during it she took time to talk to me about non-actuarial opportunities that actuaries with strong technical skills (like me, apparently) have gone on to take, citing a person she used to manage and someone in our team who has his ACAS and is returning to school to get his PhD in data science this fall (he's worked here the past few years).

Is that a roundabout way of telling me I don't have a job and I'm not good at this? I trust her but I'm not sure if I should read between the lines.

I think it's her way of saying that you're better than this, and that you have the skills to do something more challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Did your manager have a certain look in her eyes?