Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Roku 3 is by far the best streaming hardware option in my opinion. It's the only one with access to everything, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, YouTube, etc. It also has a great search function that will search for movies, actors, TV shows, etc. across all services and is quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Does the Fire stick need an external power source like Chromecast?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Parachute posted:

Does the Fire stick need an external power source like Chromecast?

Yup. But like the chromecast i just plug it into the USB maintenance port and it works, your mileage may vary of course

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

NESguerilla posted:

Amazon Prime is getting way more solid. I barely use it and just sub mostly for the shipping, but it seems like it's getting a much better selection of newer movies that Netflix doesn't have every time I check it. Plus, I guess they have some good original programming now? I haven't watched any of their shows yet. Obviously Netflix is better, but it's getting pretty good. Plus it's so drat cheap if you have a student email the free shipping pays for itself.

Edit: Also, I just decided to pay $2 or whatever to check out the first episode of Better Call Saul and it's up for free. Nice!

I agree, I'm turning to it more and more, and their original shows are pretty drat edgy with either lots of swearing or nudity or both. I've enjoyed pretty much every one I've seen for one reason or another. Transparent was a surprise, it's a sober but funny look at gender, sexuality and family. I really liked the pilot of Red Oaks, definitely waiting for more episodes of that. I read that it got picked up but haven't seen anything yet. And I watched all of Betas which was a flawed show but had some cute characters and interactions that kept me curious through the whole season. I can see why it didn't get picked up for another one though, not as compelling as it could be.

I'm also taking advantage of their HBO contract by watching The Sopranos, Deadwood, and Boardwalk Empire.

Xavier434 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question or not, but I own a Roku and when playing certain movies and TV series on Netflix I will get a very choppy frame rate. This does not happen when playing the same video on my PC. It also does not happen when playing a variety of other shows and movies on Netflix and other apps (Amazon, PLEX, etc) whose quality is much higher. I jumped through a lot of hoops to troubleshoot the Roku, but given this evidence I am starting to think that the issue is with Netflix. Any ideas?

Also, if there is a better thread to post this question I have no issue going there instead. Just let me know.

Thanks in advance

Maybe Google the Roku diagnostics, by pushing different button sequences you can lock the bitrate or display debugging messages on screen, showing the connection quality and stuff like that.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

Maybe Google the Roku diagnostics, by pushing different button sequences you can lock the bitrate or display debugging messages on screen, showing the connection quality and stuff like that.

Thanks for the advice, but I already tried all of that along with a full system restore. No dice. This issue that I am having with Netflix only happens with select TV Series and movies.

In fact, if someone with a Roku 3 would like to help me out a bit could you try watching one of the shows that is giving me trouble? It is a kids show called Octonauts. Try playing Octonauts Season 1 Episode 8 The Cookiecutter Shark / The Jellyfish Bloom. You only need to watch the opening sequence. You will immediately notice that it is really choppy with low frame rates if you are having the same issue as me. Watching the same episode on your PC should not be problematic.

Anyone willing to test this for me?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I already tried all of that along with a full system restore. No dice. This issue that I am having with Netflix only happens with select TV Series and movies.

In fact, if someone with a Roku 3 would like to help me out a bit could you try watching one of the shows that is giving me trouble? It is a kids show called Octonauts. Try playing Octonauts Season 1 Episode 8 The Cookiecutter Shark / The Jellyfish Bloom. You only need to watch the opening sequence. You will immediately notice that it is really choppy with low frame rates if you are having the same issue as me. Watching the same episode on your PC should not be problematic.

Sure, whenever I get home.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Xavier434 posted:

Worked fine on my Roku 3. I will say that mine is wired and I'm on Verizon FIOS at 50/50, not sure if that makes a huge difference or not.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dango Bango posted:

This has been on Netflix for quite some time but I finally started watching Arrow and I'm totally hooked (the pilot was enough to hook me). It's so good. Fight choreography is surprisingly crisp for a TV series on CW.

Good news, Arrow gets better as it goes on instead of worse!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Good news, Arrow gets better as it goes on instead of worse!

It constantly walks the line between "guilty pleasure" and "I genuinely love this" a lot for me. The fight choreography is crazy good, and most of the twists on DC characters are interesting, but the whole show is way too beholden to Nolan's Batman films if you ask me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It constantly walks the line between "guilty pleasure" and "I genuinely love this" a lot for me. The fight choreography is crazy good, and most of the twists on DC characters are interesting, but the whole show is way too beholden to Nolan's Batman films if you ask me.

its way too cherry and upbeat for Nolan. its surprising but Flash is even good

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Don't loving watch Killer Mermaid

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Junkie Disease posted:

Haha, I watched this the other night, god it's so loving bad. Not even in a cheesy so bad it's funny type of way, just boring and bad.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

calandryll posted:

Worked fine on my Roku 3. I will say that mine is wired and I'm on Verizon FIOS at 50/50, not sure if that makes a huge difference or not.

Hmmm well the plot thickens then. I don't think I am dealing with a bandwidth issue because I am able to stream stuff that is far bigger using the Roku with no issues.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

If anyone is looking for a low-budget horror movie(horror comedy really) that is actually good, watch Grabbers. I was pretty shocked by how entertaining it was and the budget was used properly. A few big moments that were obviously a major focus and probably pretty expensive, and then the rest is classic Jaws-style suspense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've heard Grabbers described as an Irish Tremors, with all that entails.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Grabbers is fun and drunken.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Grabbers is fun and drunken.

I started watching it while sipping on the last beer in my fridge. When it was revealed that everyone had to get drunk to survive I paused it, went down to the corner bar and picked up a six-pack. Didn't seem right to finish the movie sober.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cheers is great for drink-watching as well, for obvious reasons

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Peaky Blinders is pretty good but modern music played over period pieces immediately reminds me of Shanghai Noon and A Knight's Tale and takes me out of it.

Few pages back but hey you son of a bitch that better be a compliment to Shanghai Noon, one of the best movies ever made.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

A MIRACLE posted:

Cheers is great for drink-watching as well, for obvious reasons

Because you'd have to be drunk to enjoy it?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

i will fight u

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

We don't need another Irish Joe, thanks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Few pages back but hey you son of a bitch that better be a compliment to Shanghai Noon, one of the best movies ever made.

I was thinking the same thing. If poo poo kicks off, I've got your back, hombre. :clint:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A MIRACLE posted:

i will fight u

I used to really, really like Cheers but basically the entire show, especially the first 5 seasons or so, is just a constant stream of character a insulting character b. Like a whole show where every joke is just someone being an rear end in a top hat to someone else. idk, gets tiresome after awhile.

Frasier is the much superior show tbqh.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Android netflix has relocated "my list" to the very bottom of the screen right underneath the "share with facebook, why dont you share with facebook?" area.
Is a good sign right?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

regulargonzalez posted:

I used to really, really like Cheers but basically the entire show, especially the first 5 seasons or so, is just a constant stream of character a insulting character b. Like a whole show where every joke is just someone being an rear end in a top hat to someone else. idk, gets tiresome after awhile.

Frasier is the much superior show tbqh.

Are we watching the same show? Sam, Diane, and Carla do insult each other a lot, but Coach, Norm, and Cliff are usually just making jokes about themselves.

Cheers also gets major props for having an ex-baseball player come out as gay, and Sam stands up for him, and that was in like 1982. Yes, there were a lot of gay jokes, but they were still like 25 years ahead of the curve.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Started watching The Assets last night. One episode in and I would recommend it.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but whats the difference between The Borgias and Borgia? Is one a superior choice over the other, or should they be skipped?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Maggot Soup posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but whats the difference between The Borgias and Borgia? Is one a superior choice over the other, or should they be skipped?

I've only seen The Borgias. It was alright, I gave up after a season because it just felt like the same premium cable TV show I've watched a million times. Jeremy Irons was pretty cool though.

I'd skip it and just watch Spartacus instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maggot Soup posted:

The Borgias is better and it's not a bad soap opera cable drama, but it's not like priority viewing or anything.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Chichevache posted:

I'd skip it and just watch Spartacus instead.

I've just started this and it sparked my interest in other period pieces now that I've finished Peaky Blinders and Marco Polo.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
No one should watch Dark Ride, but there is one great moment I'm gonna spoil because I laughed out loud.

The movie is a paint-by-numbers slasher movie set in a New Jersey? abandoned carnival. Some time in the past a guy killed two little girls on the haunted house ride, now he's locked up in an asylum. Que some dumb 20-somethings (including a Soprano and the fat kid from Sandlot) on a road trip deciding to save money on a hotel and have a good time by breaking into the ride and spending the night, the same night that the psycho breaks out of the asylum!

Anyways right before he breaks out, the psycho is chilling in his dark cell, watching static on the tv. Some guards/orderlies come in and are acting all rape-y, saying that he needs some meat in his mouth and that he probably has missed it for all these years. At this point, one of the guys pulls out a steak and starts lightly slapping the psycho's bald head with it. I am pretty sure that scene wasn't supposed to be played for bewildered laughs, but here we are.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Slandible posted:

Started watching The Assets last night. One episode in and I would recommend it.

I think the performances in The Americans spoiled me because I found almost every performance way too over the top, especially the guy who played Ames.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Maggot Soup posted:

Borgia (unknown Europeans, not Jeremy Irons) is very good/fun/hosed up and better for the period without holding your hand. Comparison -- this seems to be the general consensus.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Does the Showtime version have someone yell "I am the Pope!!!" too? Because I thought that was fun.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Maggot Soup posted:

I've just started this and it sparked my interest in other period pieces now that I've finished Peaky Blinders and Marco Polo.

The first two or three episodes were crap, but I'm glad you got through them! Spartacus! (And Peaky Blinders. Don't know about Marco Polo)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Maggot Soup posted:

They're both poo poo, one is just noticeably shittier. Had to watch a bunch of episodes of both of them because of my friend's girlfriend.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jeremy Irons constantly being smug and overacting scenes is kind of delightful to watch at times. Also the costume work is beautiful.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Netflix replacing title cards and onscreen text wholly with captions is still one of the most aggravating changes they've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Netflix replacing title cards and onscreen text wholly with captions is still one of the most aggravating changes they've done.

This bothers me, too. Why do they do it?

• Locked thread