Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Agent355 posted:

I'm completely incapable of doing the evil route in video games. I just get such a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and I've never managed to finish one. This is not me mugging at the camera over how virtuous I am, this is me pointing out how broke brained I am that I feel bad for pixels to the point where I physically can't do a thing.

I tried doing this in Planescape Torment and lasted about an hour. I'm not sure I want to meet someone that could play the whole thing choosing the evil option every time, it's loving soul destroying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Convex posted:

I tried doing this in Planescape Torment and lasted about an hour. I'm not sure I want to meet someone that could play the whole thing choosing the evil option every time, it's loving soul destroying.

It was the part dealing with the pickpocket when you first leave the mortuary, wasn't it?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Just the many ways you can break Dakkon and Morte in that game is unforgivable.

And like I said before, it's amazing that no matter what you do The Nameless One will most likely never atone for all his sins.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Just the many ways you can break Dakkon and Morte in that game is unforgivable.

And like I said before, it's amazing that no matter what you do The Nameless One will most likely never atone for all his sins.

Breaking Dakkon is one of the most hosed up things I’ve ever heard about in video games. It’s not like you just torture his puppy in front of him, you destroy his whole worldview and make him the one thing he never wants to be.

E: and it’s not like one option is signposted as evil, you have to actually engage with what TNO is saying to pick the options to do it.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Apr 15, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Triarii posted:

Heh, I did the exact same thing in a stupid little mobile game I worked on a few years ago. Just stayed late one night to make the gyroscope tilt the camera around a little for no particular reason, even though nobody asked for it.

You are a good person. I seriously love that poo poo. When I got an iPhone that does that with the background, I probably spent a couple hours just switching backgrounds to see how they’d move.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, morality systems in games are weird. If there's a good/bad system I'm always a goody two shoes, mostly because the good options usually give better rewards. In a game like GTA, Saint's Row, Postal or Carmageddon? I'll happily mow down dozens of people while laughing manically all the way.

Basically, if it's a game where you play as a villain/psycho , I'll more than happy to be one. But if given a choice to be good or evil I'll pick good every time, though it really depends on how dickish the NPCs are, some NPCs deserve a shotgun blast/fireball to the face no matter your molarity.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Apr 15, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

It was the part dealing with the pickpocket when you first leave the mortuary, wasn't it?

:smith:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Guy Mann posted:

Mind going into more detail? I'm always curious about these things.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The ghost lady, dionerra or something, is real bad too. She fell in love with a previous version of the nameless one, but that version was a manipulative person who didn't really love her back. When you meet her the 'best' option is probably to convince her that your previous self did love her but she has to move on, orn you can just convince her that your previous self was insincere, or continue to manipulate her into giving you an item to help you leave.

It's awful, everything is awful. This poor lady.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Apr 15, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Breaking Dakkon is one of the most hosed up things I’ve ever heard about in video games. It’s not like you just torture his puppy in front of him, you destroy his whole worldview and make him the one thing he never wants to be.

E: and it’s not like one option is signposted as evil, you have to actually engage with what TNO is saying to pick the options to do it.

and it's great because the whole reason Dakkon is having his crisis in faith, hell, the whole reason he is following you, is because of The Practical Incarnation, your bastard self from the past.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Great, now I want to play PS:T again. But probably with all my stats cheated high so I can explore dialogue options.

Being a thinker helps you get far but you miss out on a lot of stuff you could do with a high strength/dexterity score!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nude posted:

Mind going into more detail? I'm always curious about these things.

I can't find a transcript for it but basically after you escape the mortuary (which functions as the game's tutorial and starting dungeon, you wake up on a slab and have to use fighting, dialogue, or stealth to get out of it) you're dumped into a big open bazaar and left to wander without much guidance aside from the name of a person you're supposed to be looking for. Depending on how you move it's pretty easy to encounter a pickpocket who is pretending to be a drunken harlot and tries to make a pass at your coin purse.

In a normal playthrough the way you might play it out is to stop her before she gets a chance to steal from you, or let her steal while you observe to improve your own stealing skills and then catch her in the act by grabbing her wrist. Usually this would let you interrogate her about the story mission at hand and a few other side conversations before letting her go. However if you want to you can hold her up at knife point and shake her down for money. And you can keep threatening her just to make sure she's turned over any gold or items she might be holding out on. And then once you're sure you've frightened her enough to have gotten every possible thing she could give you, if you want to then you can just snap her neck and leave her dead body in the street.

It's not gated as good or evil dialogue choices or a major plot point or anything, it's just a really terse and depressing piece of sociopathy that sets the tone for how that aspect of The Nameless One can play out if you decide to pursue it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In sanitarium there is a cyclops with a perfectly groomed goatee and it makes me laugh and clap my hands

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I want you rear end in a top hat bastards to know that because you all keep harping on about how great Planescape Torment is, I had to go buy it in the GoG sale. I hope you fuckers are all happy! :colbert:.

I am really looking forward to playing it, even if it'll be on the bottom of my to-play stack for a bit.

On something more on-topic, I'm really loving Sairento VR. It uses the general "teleport" style of motion, but turns it into fast-paced Ninja dashing, along with big jumps up walls and even starting horizontal wallruns. Then you slow time, slice some guy's head off with the sword in your left hand, and shoot his buddy in the face with the gun in your right :ninja:. There's nothing quite like reaching behind your actual back to pull out a colossal spinning glaive that flies out to bisect people and returns to your hand automatically for another throw.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Watch_Dogs is much more bearable when you lean into the fact that you're playing an irredeemable prick.

*peels out on dead niece's grave*

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

glad she is dead posted:

Watch_Dogs is much more bearable when you lean into the fact that you're playing an irredeemable prick.

And then he wonders why Nicole's never coming back.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want you rear end in a top hat bastards to know that because you all keep harping on about how great Planescape Torment is, I had to go buy it in the GoG sale. I hope you fuckers are all happy! :colbert:.

I am really looking forward to playing it, even if it'll be on the bottom of my to-play stack for a bit.

On something more on-topic, I'm really loving Sairento VR. It uses the general "teleport" style of motion, but turns it into fast-paced Ninja dashing, along with big jumps up walls and even starting horizontal wallruns. Then you slow time, slice some guy's head off with the sword in your left hand, and shoot his buddy in the face with the gun in your right :ninja:. There's nothing quite like reaching behind your actual back to pull out a colossal spinning glaive that flies out to bisect people and returns to your hand automatically for another throw.

Thanks so much for telling me. I actually looked it up the other day because of all this chat and it was more than I could spare at the time.

Favourite little thing recently: Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice had prosopagnosia as a plot point in its final case and being aware of its existence clued me in on that clue nice and early.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

glad she is dead posted:

Hell of a post/username combo there

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, the China-focused expansion for Hearts of Iron 4 includes a lot of alt-history options for some of the major powers. Through an extremely convoluted series of events and decisions, you can not only end up with this lady leading Germany, she can remake the Holy Roman Empire.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I didn't play all the way through Mafia II, but I played enough to recognise that the apartment in Vito's restaurant in Mafia III is an exact replica of his apartment from the second game. That's a nice little throwback.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I like the way Shin Megami Tensei did morality. You can either make choices that ally you with Order, which is basically God and all kinds of angels, who want to create a perfectly lawful ultra-fascist 1000-year kingdom under the watch of God, Chaos, which is led by Lucifer and the usual crew of underworldly demons, who want a world where Might Makes Right and the strong rule over the weak because there are no laws anymore, or Neutral, which is you saying "gently caress that" to both sides and murdering every supernatural entity until they gently caress off and leave humanity alone

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Apr 18, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kit Walker posted:

I like the way Shin Megami Tensei did morality. You can either make choices that ally you with Order, which is basically God and all kinds of angels, who want to create a perfectly lawful ultra-fascist 1000-year kingdom under the watch of God, Chaos, which is led by Lucifer and the usual crew of underworldly demons, who want a world where Might Makes Right and the strong rule over the weak because there are no laws anymore, or Neutral, which is you saying "gently caress that" to both sides and murdering every supernatural entity until they gently caress off and leave humanity alone

Actually, Neutral is more closely being the ally of humanity (what little of it still exists), with their endings usually being 'bring back the regular human world, warts and all'. Who they end up with as sort of a 'champion' to make it so that they're actually a power with some clout can differ in some interesting ways, though; in Strange Journey you work under a zombie superman version of your commander, while in SMTIV it's the still-loyal demon that the human hero that set up the events of SMTIV summoned. Neutral's also the side that gets to hang out with Stephen Hawking most often, though, so honestly why would anybody not pick them.

Nocturne's the odd one out, with I think about five different sides who aren't in any way presented as neat 'alignments', they're all totally opposed extremist approaches that are... honestly, all awful, but none of them any more awful than anything else provided. Nocturne does have the closest to the Neutral ending you describe, though, where you murder the world, everything in it, and the one being still around after you do it.

I should say that I'm in no way against any of this, though, Megaten Morality is loving awesome, and I like that it's not really 'good vs evil' in any way. Honestly, you can and should have objections about anybody you end up allied with in Megaten.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

In sanitarium there is a cyclops with a perfectly groomed goatee and it makes me laugh and clap my hands

Yeah, right. I doubt that wuss could even grow facial hair. Now, Wolverine, there's a real man.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Nocturne's the odd one out, with I think about five different sides who aren't in any way presented as neat 'alignments', they're all totally opposed extremist approaches that are... honestly, all awful, but none of them any more awful than anything else provided. Nocturne does have the closest to the Neutral ending you describe, though, where you murder the world, everything in it, and the one being still around after you do it.

Nocturne absolutely has Law/Chaos/Neutral paths. All of the Reasons are Law because you're obeying the rules of the cycle of destruction and creation, the Demon/True Demon ending is Chaos, and the ending where you undo the apocalypse is Neutral.

One thing SMT does really well is that Neutral is a full alignment and choice in and of itself, rather than just being too wishy washy to pick a side. Neutral is a side in itself, with goals that are more than just "be kinda lawful but not TOO lawful" or "i guess let's have a little freedom but let's not go wild here ok".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah Nocturne is more weird in that the "ultimate" and most detailed ending is the Chaos one instead of Neutral

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

I should say that I'm in no way against any of this, though, Megaten Morality is loving awesome, and I like that it's not really 'good vs evil' in any way. Honestly, you can and should have objections about anybody you end up allied with in Megaten.

It bugs me in the Megaten games how obvious your choices are going to be. Almost always it's like:

Dude: Hey man what's up, I'm a guy who likes sports.
Lady: Hey there, I'm a little bookish.

Then suddenly like a chapter later it almost immediately devolves to

Dude: Haha submit yourself to chaos and destruction only the strong survive kill the rest ahahahaha
Lady: God's will is final and I will destroy all those that disagree.

Like, there's never a sort of "okay yeah I see where they're getting these ideas" it's always a sudden shift, and yet you can always see it coming from a mile away.

Like imagine you had a cool friend in high school that you liked hanging out with and playing video games, then you went to college for two years and when he returned he was an incredibly racist build-a-wall Trump supporter that had a rifle collection, except that this happens over the course of like a couple hours.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Apr 18, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

It bugs me in the Megaten games how obvious your choices are going to be. Almost always it's like:

Dude: Hey man what's up, I'm a guy who likes sports.
Lady: Hey there, I'm a little bookish.

Then suddenly like a chapter later it almost immediately devolves to

Dude: Haha submit yourself to chaos and destruction only the strong survive kill the rest ahahahaha
Lady: God's will is final and I will destroy all those that disagree.

Like, there's never a sort of "okay yeah I see where they're getting these ideas" it's always a sudden shift, and yet you can always see it coming from a mile away.

Like imagine you had a cool friend in high school that you liked hanging out with and playing video games, then you went to college for two years and when he returned he was an incredibly racist build-a-wall Trump supporter that had a rifle collection, except that this happens over the course of like a couple hours.

You're forgetting that they're generally picking a side because the world as they know it is hosed. It's not so much an escalation as not having any other choice beyond picking a side and rolling hard with it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's understandable in some of the games but it's hilariously daft in SMT4 and Strange Journey. The latter in particular since there's basically no reason for it to happen, at least SMT4 takes place over a longer time and involves the impressionable teenage gang figuring out the world as they know it is a lie

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally beat Triclops in the HeMan PS2 game. The way to get to him is obnoxious and mostly relies on luck (so took me forever to do and kept frustrating me), but blocking works fairly well during the fight, and while he is weak against a particular special, if you don't have enough energy normal attacks work fine as long as you play well.

The little things: I was able to knock him into the lava to finish him, I like that. Often those are invisible walls or only you can fall into them, so being able to get an environmental kill was cool.

The next level you ride BattleCat through the Evergreen Forest - X makes Battlecat swipe with his claws and square uses HeMan's sword. That's nice that the steed fights too. :3:

Also you start every level with 5 lives, so it stops the annoying thing of "Finally beat that boss but only have 1 life left - hope I find a pickup soon :ohdear:. I hate that.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Apr 18, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been playing Street Fighter III: Third Strike on and off since I first got it on DC, so about 17 years.

Picked it back up lately and I get a Time Out with both fighters at zero health and... three women walk on and judge who won the fight?!

What in the fuuuuuuck?! I have never, EVER seen this before. Cool though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

SMT talk about alignments.

In the SMT universe, you never see any evidence of Jesus Christ, and Lucifer's sin against YHWH tends to be hinted that he did something against YHWH in favor of humanity (and on the scale of "Law=Angels/Divine, Chaos=Demons/Satan, he falls firmly into "Neutral", outright stating that he won't abandon humanity on the neutral path). Just a couple odd things that stuck out to me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

iirc smt2 either implies or outright states the protagonist is a reincarnation of jesus

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Randalor posted:

In the SMT universe, you never see any evidence of Jesus Christ, and Lucifer's sin against YHWH tends to be hinted that he did something against YHWH in favor of humanity (and on the scale of "Law=Angels/Divine, Chaos=Demons/Satan, he falls firmly into "Neutral", outright stating that he won't abandon humanity on the neutral path). Just a couple odd things that stuck out to me.

Isn't Satan usually Law, not chaos?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Jesus is your buddy in P3. And so is Satan, Lucifer, Samael, Gabriel...

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Nuebot posted:

Isn't Satan usually Law, not chaos?

Yeah, Satan is Law and Lucifer is Chaos. They go with the biblical interpretation of them being two entities, with Satan basically playing the role of God's executioner.

Brother Entropy posted:

iirc smt2 either implies or outright states the protagonist is a reincarnation of jesus

I don't remember this, but it's been a while since I played it. SMT2's protagonist the one who finally manages to kill God. Except, psych, he's still God so even if you've banished him he's now cursed you to never be able to break out of the cycle of reincarnation. Consequently, one of the characters in Nocturne is heavily hinted to be another reincarnation of SMT2's protagonist

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Apr 19, 2018

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Samuringa posted:

The Jesus I made in P3 had an Alice in his family tree, so you'd best believe I carefully savescummed until Jesus got the skill 'Die For Me!'

Could not have been more perfect (-ly backwards).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Picayune posted:

The Jesus I made in P3 had an Alice in his family tree, so you'd best believe I carefully savescummed until Jesus got the skill 'Die For Me!'

Could not have been more perfect (-ly backwards).

And here I thought the meta was savescumming to get an Alice immune to both light and dark.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah, Satan is Law and Lucifer is Chaos. They go with the biblical interpretation of them being two entities, with Satan basically playing the role of God's executioner.

Not to get too pedantic, but I love my Apocrypha and demonology: Satan and Lucifer are complicated in the Bible, not least by the fact that there are several rewrites and translations. Neither of them are explicitly unique nor synonymous.

People get Lucifer equaling Satan because in Revelation 12:9 it is written "And the Great Dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan," and in Isaiah 14:12 it is written, "How you have fallen from Heaven, Lucifer son of dawn! You have been cast down to the Earth..." However, this was in the context of an oracle of a dead king of Babylon, who is not identified. It only became a common practice in later Christianity to refer to Satan as Lucifer.

In fact Jesus and John the Baptist were both referred to as lucifer in Latin texts, meaning "Morningstar" or more accurately "light bringer". :eng101:

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Apr 19, 2018

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Is there a bible version of :goonsay:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Samuringa posted:

Fun fact: Persona 3 is the only direct instance in the entire series, including all spinoffs, of Jesus. And even in P3, it's not exact, because it's actually 'Messiah', implied to be the archetype of the messianic savior rather than any specific one... but I mean, come on, we all know where they're coming from.

I do generally respect that about Megaten. I dunno if it's a deliberate choice or the result of restrictions and regulations, but their staunch unwillingness to go for The J-Man (excepting the one time they kinda-sorta did) opens the playing field for a ton of really interesting pulls for big religious power-players.