Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AtillatheBum posted:

Just finished a run where my Runaway died on the last battle before the inn. Was annoying because she got extremely unlucky to get on death's door in the first place but the real problem was that she died because my Graverobber did an outburst that prevented my PD from using a heal on the Runaway; of course the very next attack killed her. The kicker? it was an outburst FROM AMOROUS. A positive relationship got my character killed. What a crappy moment.

I was able to get to the inn and still win the run with the reinforcement but that battle completely soured the whole thing. I'm gonna set this game aside for a bit until we get a bit more content and hopefully some of the bullshit interactions adjusted.

lol that actually loving owns and was def one of the "moments" this game is built to create. I had a battle similar to this early on where a character jealously barked "there's something between you two!?" when I tried healing someone else---both of them were Amorous with the healer so it forced me to not use Heal on the first person. Similarly, sometimes seeing an Amorous partner take damage leads to a pip of stress for the other character.

Amorous usually gives you a fuckton of positive buffs that churn out like a machine; I think it's fair that it can also give out a negative thing once in a while (as it is irl lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

I think Riposte is almost too good and should be nerfed so ranged attacks / melee attacks from rank 4 don't trigger it. Highwayman isn't Nightcrawler so he shouldn't be able to counter long-distance poo poo or enemies who are too far away.

He literally has a gun. Just change the animation to shooty-bang and we’re fine.

A Light Grift
Aug 1, 2011
Has anyone made it past Denial to the other confessions? I've won about five runs now and am enjoying the game but have no idea how far this is supposed to go. At least in DD1 you had the final level always waiting for you, you know?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A Light Grift posted:

Has anyone made it past Denial to the other confessions? I've won about five runs now and am enjoying the game but have no idea how far this is supposed to go. At least in DD1 you had the final level always waiting for you, you know?

it's a game in early access, they haven't finished the other chapters of the game yet

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

DLC Inc posted:

lol that actually loving owns and was def one of the "moments" this game is built to create. I had a battle similar to this early on where a character jealously barked "there's something between you two!?" when I tried healing someone else---both of them were Amorous with the healer so it forced me to not use Heal on the first person. Similarly, sometimes seeing an Amorous partner take damage leads to a pip of stress for the other character.

Amorous usually gives you a fuckton of positive buffs that churn out like a machine; I think it's fair that it can also give out a negative thing once in a while (as it is irl lol)

It's ok for the dice to not fall the player's way every once in a while and it is also ok for some "good" things to have downsides. It's not ok in my eyes for a thing the game encourages (positive relationships) to take away actions from the player based on RNG. Make it add stress to the other amorous character or make them lose relationship sure but the game telling me "No, you can't do that this turn" was stupid. There is no way to plan for or mitigate a completely binary roll that I can't see coming or happening.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Decided to try a run without immediately mastering Ounce of Prevention and wow, this feels terrible.

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

Bussamove posted:

Decided to try a run without immediately mastering Ounce of Prevention and wow, this feels terrible.

Just the other day i forgot to spend the mastery point entirely in the starting inn. The difference it makes in getting early positive relations is insane. It just feels as if im deliberately sabotaging a run when i dont take it.

Could be picking the jester or some other skill upgrades offset it and i haven't found another good combo yet.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting more used to the game and so far it feels like you're struggling up to the second inn and then after you get a few mastery points you can kind of breeze through the next couple areas. Highwayman's "Take Aim" and the Leper's skill that makes him a target and buffs his defense are really strong. If you have a Jester/Highwayman/Leper team and you can level up the Jester's skills that apply skull icons and buff up the leper you can really plow through a lot of fights with minimal resistance, especially when you have the Highwayman ready to take out guys with crits from his blade attack.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Bussamove posted:

He literally has a gun. Just change the animation to shooty-bang and we’re fine.

Also, did you see the range on Lunging Cuff? Man pretty much IS Nightcrawler if/when he wants to be.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Angry-Alphs posted:

Could be picking the jester or some other skill upgrades offset it and i haven't found another good combo yet.

The problem with the jester's stress heal is the target has to be over 5 stress already to use it, and the stress spiral tends to start at at like 3 or 4. It's really good for putting out fires but not really that useful as your primary means of keeping stress under control for the whole party imo.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bussamove posted:

if you don't get a decent party stress heal at the first inn your characters will all hate each other by the end of the first road, and then you'll die because most of your power comes from them liking each other and they don't

the only party stress heals in the game as far as I'm aware belong to plague doctor, jester, hellion and man at arms. I might be missing one somewhere, but I think that's it.

as far as I can tell the ups and downs of all of them are:

Jester: non-viable, doesn't work unless they have 5 stress or higher and you need to keep them under 4 to prevent them from hating each other
Man-At-Arms: Requires mastery, Unreliable, but you can spam it and it clears Horror which is super nice
Hellion: Works unreliably without mastery. Spammable and reliable with mastery but if you use it you are committing to your Hellion as nothing but a stress healer for that fight because it applies a stacking damage penalty which you can't clear without certain skill masteries. The most effective one in a vacuum but this game lacks good back rank damage so sacrificing a frontliner to be a stress bot isn't good
Plague Doctor: Requires mastery, reliable, but it has a cooldown. this is the standard one because you probably want a PD for other reasons anyway and they often don't have too much to do in easy fights so they might as well just use this off cooldown. the buff is nice too.

1 of these doesn't work, 2 of them only work with mastery, and the last one can work with mastery if you're willing to sacrifice a frontliner in the early game(which you shouldn't be). spending your first mastery on a stress heal is pretty much completely mandatory

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol I'm locked into a neverending battle that has gone on for like 60 turns. Plague Doctor is only party member left and has no Rank 1 attacks, versus a cultist cherub. Does 1 damage to me each turn; all I can do is keep passing. But everytime I'm at death's door and pass, I heal 7 HP. So, it's possible to completely loop yourself and thus lose all the Hope progress you accrued in a run :feelsbad:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DLC Inc posted:

lol I'm locked into a neverending battle that has gone on for like 60 turns. Plague Doctor is only party member left and has no Rank 1 attacks, versus a cultist cherub. Does 1 damage to me each turn; all I can do is keep passing. But everytime I'm at death's door and pass, I heal 7 HP. So, it's possible to completely loop yourself and thus lose all the Hope progress you accrued in a run :feelsbad:

You don't lose hope progress, abandon run and you'll get the hope you accumulated up to that point.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Panfilo posted:

You don't lose hope progress, abandon run and you'll get the hope you accumulated up to that point.

that's great to know, thanks!

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
One other thing I've noticed about this game is that there isn't actually really a lot for the economy/loot system of the game to feed into. In the previous game loot was really important because it let you upgrade your town which was how you upgraded and tweaked your heroes.

In this game loot is only spent on stuff you tend to get in abundance anyway (trinkets, inn items/food, combat items). You only get two trinket slots a hero, a couple of wagon slots, and you tend to fill up your wagon pretty fast and have to dump stuff anyway, so there really isn't much reward incentive. Your heroes heal a lot on road segments so eating food at the inn isn't particularly useful and you can usually just dump a lot of it. I end up spending a lot of loot on maintenance (stress, healing, buffs, etc) rather than on anything that feels like a power improvement.

Just thinking about the lair fights in particular, the trinket you get from beating a boss is usually pretty good, but everything else might as well be worthless, if you're not feeling strong enough to push through there is rarely reason to go past the first fight. If the fights rewarded mastery points instead for example I would definitely think about pushing on. Right now I'm often looking at like some relics/baubles and a +2 speed trinket or whatever.

Hero progression is also pretty shallow at just one mastery point, some of which barely do anything (battlefield medicine's upgrade, for example, adds a grand +5% to the heal and literally nothing else lol). Feel like they could add in some kind of armorer at the inn to upgrade hero damage or HP which would be a good sink for loot. I thought the hospitals +max button was adding max hp to a hero and got excited but then realized it was just a max heal.

Operant fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 3, 2021

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Game has a promising Early Access. From what I read they plan to release it in a year or probably more, so plenty of time to work out the kinks. Looking forward to playing it when its out on Steam.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ounce of Prevention is good, but not mandatory. Once thing people don't factor is there's some skills that are a self stress heal.

Leper's Solemnity heals 2 stress on top of the hp heal at low health. Dead of Night+ heals 1 stress in addition to the self heal, stealth and corpse removal. You'll find these types of heroes pile up less stress overall as a result. The action efficiency of ounce of Prevention drops off if it only benefits one or two heroes.

It would be nice though if there was a wider 'neutral' band for affinities. So like between 2 and 6 stress you neither gain nor lose them. That would put less pressure on stress heals while still keeping them useful.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I think the main problem just lies in how frequently relationship points accumulate, both positive and negative. Of stress gets too high too quickly you get a feedback loop of everyone hating each other, but if you can keep it low the opposite is true too and you’re a borderline unstoppable super sentai squid winning through the power of friendship. But hey that’s what EA is for, tweaking these systems. God knows the first DD changed a lot over the year-ish it was in the wild before official launch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Operant posted:

One other thing I've noticed about this game is that there isn't actually really a lot for the economy/loot system of the game to feed into. In the previous game loot was really important because it let you upgrade your town which was how you upgraded and tweaked your heroes.

In this game loot is only spent on stuff you tend to get in abundance anyway (trinkets, inn items/food, combat items). You only get two trinket slots a hero, a couple of wagon slots, and you tend to fill up your wagon pretty fast and have to dump stuff anyway, so there really isn't much reward incentive. Your heroes heal a lot on road segments so eating food at the inn isn't particularly useful and you can usually just dump a lot of it. I end up spending a lot of loot on maintenance (stress, healing, buffs, etc) rather than on anything that feels like a power improvement.

Just thinking about the lair fights in particular, the trinket you get from beating a boss is usually pretty good, but everything else might as well be worthless, if you're not feeling strong enough to push through there is rarely reason to go past the first fight. If the fights rewarded mastery points instead for example I would definitely think about pushing on. Right now I'm often looking at like some relics/baubles and a +2 speed trinket or whatever.

Hero progression is also pretty shallow at just one mastery point, some of which barely do anything (battlefield medicine's upgrade, for example, adds a grand +5% to the heal and literally nothing else lol). Feel like they could add in some kind of armorer at the inn to upgrade hero damage or HP which would be a good sink for loot. I thought the hospitals +max button was adding max hp to a hero and got excited but then realized it was just a max heal.

I found the best use for relics was at the triage tent to remove diseases and negative quirks, both of which can be absolutely crippling. Quirks that in the first game only applied in the first round now have a chance to proc an effect every round, so things like Off Guard are really really bad.

Agreed they should bring back blacksmith. Mastery points on some melee attacks are pretty mediocre; Wicked Hack+ and Iron Swan+ are unimpressive compared to Toe to Toe+ or Revelry+

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Has anyone pointed out that when you ram something it's not the wagon that takes the hit, it's the two horses out in front?

Those poor horses. :ohdear:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

really like how the Grave Robber actually has a "grave robbery" move now and it really owns. Clearing a corpse AND getting healed/stealth for it is loving awesome.

Also big fan of Highwayman's "Highway Robbery" skill, which is insanely good against the cultists that love to stack up buffs. He's entirely viable playing support with that + the Tracking Shot to activate combos like Grobber's upgraded Knife Throw, which is truly insane with the combo-proc'd crits.

I've been trying out team builds that do not involve Plague Doctor or the Man-At-Arms, since they're the two with the party stress buffs. Jester is pretty good, though only when stress is at 50%, and Leper has really stable control over his own stress/health with Solemnity. Outside of that though, you're mostly reliant on Laudanum to manually controls stress, and if it isn't in shops/you run out of supplies, it gets a little dicey. I'd like at least one more character to have a supportive stress heal for the party----don't care if it's limited or has cooldowns or whatever, it'd go a long way to having security for the long haul.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm mostly forming my opinions from watching streamers (I'm waiting for the steam release in a year) but it looks like the Jester and Occultist are having trouble with their signature support skills at the moment.

Occultist used to be a pretty low-stakes gamble in that you could pre-emptively heal before your health really got low, and it had no cooldown so you could just keep trying it until it worked. Even the '0 heal, bleed' was something you could recover from in anything before champion level dungeons as long as it wasn't the clutch 'get me off deaths door' heal. Now, it's got limited uses per fight, and you can only trigger it at a low health percentage, and it goes from 'chaotic but manageable' to being too unreliable to really use. The Jester's also gotten hit real bad by the 'no preemptive' rule, he can only stress heal at six or more stress, and four or more is when things start going bad.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Yeah, the jester's stress heal is broken for exactly that reason -- you just can't wait until 6 stress or you're hosed. the restriction doesn't even make sense to me, it heals per cast less than the PD's. put a cooldown on it and make it not suck

is there somewhere to give actual feedback to RH other than whining on reddit? I need to berate them about this and the lack of a houndmaster, I want that 3d dog action

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, the jester's stress heal is broken for exactly that reason -- you just can't wait until 6 stress or you're hosed. the restriction doesn't even make sense to me, it heals per cast less than the PD's. put a cooldown on it and make it not suck

is there somewhere to give actual feedback to RH other than whining on reddit? I need to berate them about this and the lack of a houndmaster, I want that 3d dog action

In game there is a give feedback button on the main menu I’m pretty sure.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Big patch dropped, stress heals have been reworked, among many other things on the list.

It's gonna be harder to keep your party at low stress now, which is probably as it should be. You don't enter a death spiral at 4+ stress anymore either after one of the previous patches. Ounce now easily looks like the worst of the bunch, while Bolster got a huge buff.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Bolster is incredible now, Jesus

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
haha I missed you Red Hook

in hindsight I don't know what I expected, of course the solution to "Ounce is such a good stress heal that it's mandatory" was going to be "get hosed nerds"

Lord_Magmar posted:

In game there is a give feedback button on the main menu I’m pretty sure.

nice, gotta start using that

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

And another finger curls shut on the monkey’s paw.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
They also massively buffed the boss of Denial.

SKILL CHANGES

HP raised to 90 for all locks, increasing overall HP of battle to 360 from 300

Shared skill Paralyzing Fear now inflicts Vulnerable in addition to the existing 75% chance of Stun

Latch of Regrets Ruptured Vessel now inflicts Weak

Bolt of Lamentations Mental Lashes now inflicts Blind

BEHAVIORAL CHANGES

Whichever Lock uses Denial will also use their unique attack that round, increasing the total number of attacks each round by 1

Locks will abide by the 3 round Denial cooldown as long as 3 or more Locks remain

At 2 Locks, they no longer respect cooldown; one of the two will always use Denial and their unique skill

At 1 Lock, the remaining monster will use its Denial and unique every round

In addition, each Lock generates a unique buff on all surviving Locks when it dies. These buffs last for the duration of the fight.

Fixed several Hero skills that were inappropriately locked by certain Denials

This is some insane poo poo, I gotta say.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Magitek posted:

Bolster is incredible now, Jesus

I dunno. I think you'll miss the Horror clearing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Imma spam the feedback feature of the game to insist they bring back the Hunger mechanic. Too much food piling up without being able to do anything about it until you reach an inn.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Just toss it out the stagecoach window like true nihilist psychopaths hurtling towards oblivion.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:byodood: "I'm hungry and tired!"
:v: "We can eat when we get to the Inn, it's only seventy leagues away."
:byodood: "Yeah but I'm hungry NOW plus we've got twenty piping hot filet mingions just sitting there cmon"

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Patch Notes posted:

Fix for dysentery effect double applying on load.

heh

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
With the sequel coming out, I suppose I should finally beat Darkest Dungeon! I've noticed that a lot of what's written about DD1 is outdated by the numerous patches/expansions - are there any good resources for the final version of the game, for learning party composition and general gameplay?

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Just had a run where my Leper has the Rummager quirk which causes them to dig around and find random items in the stagecoach. It fires with a bark. The following just happened:

Leper: Look what I found in the wastebucket!
[Bandages have been added to your inventory.]

My guy maybe that's why you have a horrible skin disease. :gonk:

Kestral posted:

With the sequel coming out, I suppose I should finally beat Darkest Dungeon! I've noticed that a lot of what's written about DD1 is outdated by the numerous patches/expansions - are there any good resources for the final version of the game, for learning party composition and general gameplay?

DD1 is the rare game where the fan wiki is extremely up to date and good as hell. I can't really think of anywhere better, although it's a fairly dense read. Mechanically, it's a dense game, so it makes sense.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Just had a run where my Leper has the Rummager quirk which causes them to dig around and find random items in the stagecoach. It fires with a bark. The following just happened:

Leper: Look what I found in the wastebucket!
[Bandages have been added to your inventory.]

My guy maybe that's why you have a horrible skin disease. :gonk:

My Hellion with rummager is constantly pulling stale break and slime mold out of the wastebucket. She really will eat anything.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Googling up the expedition/curio guides for DD1 is also a good primer for what you should bring to each area and who is effective there.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
lol at this “where can I berate Red Hook?” talk. yes please berate us :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Having hosed around a good bit post-patch I take back my monkey's paw comment earlier. Stress seems way easier to manage now and the relationship stuff is way more under control. Not having them hate each other for stealing kills or whatever goes a long way.

Also new Bolster real good.