Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Honestly it's kind of bothersome that people are wanting to just ditch Keaton when really this should be used as a learning situation. A child that age is largely a mirror of his home environment. He's been instilled both with racist behavior he likely doesn't understand and also the attitude that he is the victim, all of which his mother undoubtedly created. His mom is the actual shitbird here but the kid can still be taught a lesson and having Captain America do it would be amazing.

He definitely shouldn't be rewarded for saying the things he did to his classmates, just the same as no one should be celebrating the other kids beating him up for doing it. His mom can take a fist to the face for being a dogshit human, but the rest of the people involved are actual children.

I definitely don't envy Evan's spot here, but it would be cool if he made the best of it. Get Keaton and the other kids together. Have Evan's mediate a talk with all of them, let them learn a lesson about racism and bullying, and have them all go to the movie together. It's a magic fairyland scenario that won't happen but it's nice to think it might. I mostly get pissed off at the mom for being a racist and then milking her child's emotions for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
they should have Chris as Cap do one of those gym class educational videos from Spider-Man: Homecoming about racism and bullying

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Honestly it's kind of bothersome that people are wanting to just ditch Keaton when really this should be used as a learning situation. A child that age is largely a mirror of his home environment. He's been instilled both with racist behavior he likely doesn't understand and also the attitude that he is the victim, all of which his mother undoubtedly created. His mom is the actual shitbird here but the kid can still be taught a lesson and having Captain America do it would be amazing.

He definitely shouldn't be rewarded for saying the things he did to his classmates, just the same as no one should be celebrating the other kids beating him up for doing it. His mom can take a fist to the face for being a dogshit human, but the rest of the people involved are actual children.

I definitely don't envy Evan's spot here, but it would be cool if he made the best of it. Get Keaton and the other kids together. Have Evan's mediate a talk with all of them, let them learn a lesson about racism and bullying, and have them all go to the movie together. It's a magic fairyland scenario that won't happen but it's nice to think it might. I mostly get pissed off at the mom for being a racist and then milking her child's emotions for money.

This isn't bad but I really don't know if a super privileged white dude should be the one explaining racism. They'd need to bring someone else to join Cap.. Then again white folks should police their own, and racists usually hate listening to black people about racism. It's a lovely situation all around. I just hope that the kid he hurled slurs at doesn't get forgotten on all of this. He deserves to be included, especially if you're trying to fix that kid. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will do anything since his mother is a racist shithead.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
gently caress the racists

Koalas March posted:

This isn't bad but I really don't know if a super privileged white dude should be the one explaining racism. They'd need to bring someone else to join Cap.. Then again white folks should police their own, and racists usually hate listening to black people about racism. It's a lovely situation all around. I just hope that the kid he hurled slurs at doesn't get forgotten on all of this. He deserves to be included, especially if you're trying to fix that kid. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will do anything since his mother is a racist shithead.

Cap and Falcon.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
No amount of movie premieres and lectures are gonna help when the kid goes right back home to racist poo poo heads. Clearly Evans needs to adopt the kid and make a reality TV show about it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be clear we don't actually know if the kid actually got 'bullied' for slinging the n-word around (would not call that bullying), the source was a single Twitter post repeating completely undocumented hearsay

His mom is a racist piece of poo poo, obvs, but calling him a racist too is p unfair to him unless some more substantial evidence comes forward

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

To be clear we don't actually know if the kid actually got 'bullied' for slinging the n-word around (would not call that bullying), the source was a single Twitter post repeating completely undocumented hearsay

His mom is a racist piece of poo poo, obvs, but calling him a racist too is p unfair to him unless some more substantial evidence comes forward

Yeah I kinda agree, but the mom's beliefs make it easy to believe the kid would say that. I don't think calling children racist is fair period, especially at that age when they are just mimicking the adults they see the most.

Having Cap and Falcon sit down with these kids won't be an instant fix to anything, but it would be some great PR and an awesome message for other kids to see.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Koalas March posted:

I think it absolutely would have to be from Cap as the one he respects.

You could just have someone coach Evans beforehand or, if we really want to go full sitcom on this, have him wear an earpiece with Cheadle, Mackie, and Boseman feeding him lines and then getting into a fight over something at the exact moment when Keaton asks Evans how his privilege manifests when interacting with black people who are more well-off financially than him.

But on a serious note what if they also invited the other kid also and then tried to make it a teaching moment and a cool shared experience? Would that salvage the situation?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I saw some stuff attributing the claim to noe deleted posts on the mom's FB.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just say his account was hacked when the invite was sent

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Roth posted:

I think he should just rescind the invitation. Having such a cool treat that most people never get to experience taken away almost immediately is punishment enough for being a racist poo poo.

"Liberal 'Captain America' punishes family for their southern heritage and free speech" - FOX News headline that same day.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean it's hardly like Evans was the sole person the offer to do something for this kid. Some members of the Tennessee Football team took him out shopping. He got invited to tons of basketball and football games by players in the area, including the Tennessee Titans and the Memphis Grizzlies.

https://twitter.com/BroadwayJay2/status/940013198027214848

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/940381817764499458

Uhh he didn't wanna bother to give Chris a chance to save face ? lol

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Japanese trailer for Black Panther, with a bunch of new footage! ✊🏾

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3oL9-lGNog

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
At this point I'm just on the side of ignoring this until it goes away :buddy:

e: ooh, about the kid, not about that trailer

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, at the very least that Keaton kid is going to meet and get support from a lot of people of different ethnicities, so there’s a good chance some of his lovely preconceived notions about them might get debunked.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BrianWilly posted:

Too little too late, pal. It’s the vibranium mines for you!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'll just come out of it with a kickass suit. It'll look like a hippo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Koalas March posted:

Japanese trailer for Black Panther, with a bunch of new footage! ✊🏾

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3oL9-lGNog

I refuse! Total blackout until Feburary for me. The hype is building.

Im more excited for Black Panther than Star Wars.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Im more excited for Black Panther than Star Wars.

Oh my gosh, I really am too!! It's gonna be lit af!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just realized that I don’t think I’ve ever seen an episode of the Boondocks past the first season, even though I loved that show. Does anyone have particular recommendations?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Pigbuster posted:

I just realized that I don’t think I’ve ever seen an episode of the Boondocks past the first season, even though I loved that show. Does anyone have particular recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1IRjBAbepA

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Pigbuster posted:

The Stinkmeaner sequels in the later seasons are a must, imo.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

i love the kickball ep too

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think it absolutely would have to be from Cap as the one he respects.

You could just have someone coach Evans beforehand or, if we really want to go full sitcom on this, have him wear an earpiece with Cheadle, Mackie, and Boseman feeding him lines and then getting into a fight over something at the exact moment when Keaton asks Evans how his privilege manifests when interacting with black people who are more well-off financially than him.

But on a serious note what if they also invited the other kid also and then tried to make it a teaching moment and a cool shared experience? Would that salvage the situation?

Yet more evidence that Stark was right in Civil War and the Avengers need oversight.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

Yet more evidence that Stark was right in Civil War and the Avengers need oversight.

Stark needs oversight, the Sokovia Incident was pretty much his fault since he decided to go all Hank Pym and create a murder psycho AI. Cap's team at the beginning of Civil War was small potatoes compared to dropping a city.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pigbuster posted:

The one where Riley gets art lessons from Not Bob Ross.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

X-O posted:

I mean it's hardly like Evans was the sole person the offer to do something for this kid. Some members of the Tennessee Football team took him out shopping. He got invited to tons of basketball and football games by players in the area, including the Tennessee Titans and the Memphis Grizzlies.

https://twitter.com/BroadwayJay2/status/940013198027214848
Holy poo poo. I guess he didn't drop any N-bombs when he was with these guys.

It would be nice to get some confirmation on whether or not the "bullying" was from the kid who he was allegedly racist towards, and/or other kids who were telling him not to do that. I would definitely feel that just because his mom is a Confederate flag-waving racist, it doesn't mean he is too - but being raised in that environment definitely isn't going to be helpful towards him.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

Charlie Murphy and Sam Jackson arguing about technology is always great

e: oh gently caress I didn't know Murphy died of leukemia this year, poo poo :(:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Putting rumours online that the kid was racist using the behaviour of his mother to support that would also be believable actions from a bully.

BrianWilly posted:

:agreed:

EDIT: VVV The point is that if the kid is actually innocent then the internet is participating in the bullying of a bullied child. The harm is substantial and that's a pretty good reason to not partake in this nonsense going forward. I'm not going to debate this with you.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 12, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can’t post the dumbest of dumb takes then say you’re ignoring it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
That kid looks and sounds like he'd be super racist and that's enough evidence for me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ojjeorago posted:

That kid looks and sounds like he'd be super racist and that's enough evidence for me.

He looks like the kid from American Gothic.

Of course, that guy’s 35 now and I’ve made myself feel old.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I re-watched Cap 1 due to the conversation from a few pages back. It is...such an odd movie. The first half almost completely embraces the campy atmosphere of Timely era Cap. And then about halfway through, it just becomes more like your run-of-the-mill war film but with some super people.

It isn't a jumbled mess of an editing job or anything, any I can't find any real reports of studio interference. It just has a huge tonal shift halfway through the film. It isn't bad, but man, that first half was incredibly entertaining.

Maybe the second half suffered just because Cap had to be in a certain place due to Avengers?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm due to watch The Last Jedi in three hours, and it got me thinking:

How would you feel if Star Wars became a part of the MCU?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I don't think it would bring anything to either franchise, really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schneider Heim posted:

They aren't the Guardians of the Galaxy Far, Far Away.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I re-watched Cap 1 due to the conversation from a few pages back. It is...such an odd movie. The first half almost completely embraces the campy atmosphere of Timely era Cap. And then about halfway through, it just becomes more like your run-of-the-mill war film but with some super people.

It isn't a jumbled mess of an editing job or anything, any I can't find any real reports of studio interference. It just has a huge tonal shift halfway through the film. It isn't bad, but man, that first half was incredibly entertaining.

Maybe the second half suffered just because Cap had to be in a certain place due to Avengers?

I felt the same and found the tone all over the place. IT was one of the weirdest movies I've ever watched and when it was over I couldn't make up my mind if I liked it or not. IT was really like watching two movies

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

Player one is ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Schneider Heim posted:

It would be really dumb and I'm not for that kind of brand synergy, now if you said if they put Marvel and Star Wars in the Kingdom Hearts franchise, then we are getting somewhere.

• Locked thread