Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

EconDad posted:

Akabeko, upgraded Whirlwind, Bag of Marbles, and things like Vajra perhaps -- and the thing that lets you lift to gain more strength. Bottle that whirlwind. Maybe Pen Nib for fun.Chemical X? Why not... we're daydreaming.

Not the easiest thing to assemble but when you've got all of that? fights take ~3 seconds each (hallways).

you forgot the mutagen relic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

avocado rat is up to… 29 dmg on turn 1? that’s the same as the slavers elite. it’s complete bullshit lol

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Wafflecopper posted:

you forgot the mutagen relic!

it's a MUST

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
So what's the gameplan with 3 Spikers?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

JamMasterJim posted:

Alt tab away, and never alt tab back.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Red Oktober posted:

Ironclad, whirlwind plus or immolate (bottled), Akabeko, bag of marbles and ideally necronomicon.

I got akebeko, whirlwind, and necronomicon. I don't think I got much else, but that was all I needed. Lost a little time and thought I'd miss it, but made it by a few seconds.

It was literally the first game where I TRIED to get the sub 20.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

JamMasterJim posted:

if you’re watcher,

Tree Bucket posted:

Alt tab away, and never alt tab back.

otherwise lots of block/poison/orbs

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

JamMasterJim posted:

When doing the speedrun cheevo? Whirlwind away, who cares if you take a little spike damage when every other fight is a flawless turn 1 victory

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hate the avocado with my life

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Avocado may be my least favorite encounter in the whole game. There are many more dangerous fights but theres a high probability you’re losing some health to it, that you’ll see it twice in the act, and really its just a boring, long fight. Few are the decks that just body that rear end in a top hat at the start of act 2

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Avocado isn't too bad imo. Chosen is way worse if we're looking at act 2 encounters, though that may be because I'm mostly playing silent. My least favorite is writhing mass, or maybe time eater. Writhing mass is slow and boring as hell because usually you have to stop playing cards when it does a small attack. Time eater is pretty similar but actively fucks you up for playing cards that don't do anything. Heart has a much better mechanic for countering card spam imo.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Drunk Nerds posted:

I regularly get this achievement, just for fun. My record is 11 minutes. I've never hit the Act 3 portal. Here are my best tips:

1. Fast mode in the settings
2. Neow's Lament. Clearing act 1 in about 3 minutes really lets me take my time to think about how to beat the Acts 2 and 3 boss later.
3. Only do Watcher or Ironclad. I usually do ironclad because it's less thinking.
4. Flex is the best common card.
5. Defense is for suckers. Find stuff that stops you from dying that isn't a block card. Helix, apparitions, that one relic that gives you 6 block, fairy and ghost potion, etc. Being able to avoid thinking about how not to die saves soooo much time
6. All event floors, all the time. This is also a good way to increase the likelihood of hitting on my previous tip.

I could have sworn fast mode makes the in game timer go faster too, so you have less thinking time and the animations are proportionally faster as the timer is, though I've not tried for this in a while, still not done it yet, about 3 mins too slow.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mymla posted:

Avocado isn't too bad imo. Chosen is way worse if we're looking at act 2 encounters, though that may be because I'm mostly playing silent. My least favorite is writhing mass, or maybe time eater. Writhing mass is slow and boring as hell because usually you have to stop playing cards when it does a small attack. Time eater is pretty similar but actively fucks you up for playing cards that don't do anything. Heart has a much better mechanic for countering card spam imo.

+1 writhing mass is the worst. Too much thinking.

EconDad made some great points about getting the sub 20 achievement. I think a main thing people don't get is it's not about "playing faster" it's about pathing towards a broken games tate and choosing cards that you don't have to think before playing. That's why flex is so OP. There's no "should I play it instead of Bash? Let me stop and do math to see if I have lethal." You draw a flex: you play flex. You upgrade flex: You've got half an Akabeko right there, my friend.

Looking at my recent runs it seems like I hit sub20 about half the time I try it, regardless of whether I'm on Xbox, PC, or phone. Akabeko and marbles are common relics. Flex, twin strike, and sword boomerang are common cards. If you're specifically trying to path to a broken gamestate, odds are you can hit it reliably .

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh I forgot about writhing mass. That jerk sucks just as much poo poo as avocado. I’m thankful there isn’t a super gently caress you fight vs avocado + writhing mass.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Writhing Mass is surely the most hated fight in the game. No one loves it. A few like it, but they're heavily outnumbered by people who hate it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

malleable is just a total fucker of a buff

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If it didn't have the curse it would be ok since stuff like Intangible or lots of block wouldn't really care if it does its strongest attack but with the curse you actually have to think and make decisions on whether you should play that last attack.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
By the time I encounter writhing mass, I can usually handle it. Snake plant, on the other hand, shows up an act earlier and is a real bastard

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

WrightOfWay posted:

If it didn't have the curse it would be ok since stuff like Intangible or lots of block wouldn't really care if it does its strongest attack but with the curse you actually have to think and make decisions on whether you should play that last attack.
I agree, but I also think people are sometimes overly scared of Parasite. As curses go it's not that bad. It's basically identical to Injury. By Act 3 a deck that's going to beat the bosses (let alone the Heart) should be able to deal with it. And of course if there's a shop somewhere after you've got even less to worry about.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 18, 2024

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Slay The Spire: Snecko and the Birdymen

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Writhing Mass killed my minimalist achievement run - nothing like picking up one more card than you have shops ahead of you right in the run up to the end.

Looking at the comments I should try the 20 min achievement, I’ve not tried it just because it seems hard and not fun but now seems not too tricky.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Fun fact about the act 3 portal event: It cannot appear until you are at least 13 minutes 20 seconds into your run. This was a nice gesture for speedrunners, who otherwise would just be fishing for a run where this event appears and would be screwed without it.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Baalorlord just completed one of the greatest runs of all time on stream. It includes a 113-turn Corrupt Heart kill.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Clugg posted:

Baalorlord just completed one of the greatest runs of all time on stream. It includes a 113-turn Corrupt Heart kill.
I see you still can't rewind a live stream on Twitch in TYOOL 2024.

Hopefully it'll end up on YouTube!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
FYI he uploads full streams to https://www.youtube.com/@BaalorlordUnedited so it should show up there tomorrow.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The talk of 20 minute runs made me get off my rear end and actually get the achievement.

Featuring orange pellets with no powers.

And it turns out you can negate Runic Dome's downside simply by having no block in your deck.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Clugg posted:

Jesus, how much strength did the Heart have by that point?

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

WrightOfWay posted:

Jesus, how much strength did the Heart have by that point?

All of it. 999 strength, the maximum possible. Earlier in the run, Baalor also played five hundred copies of After Image against the Awakened One to make it as angry as possible.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Tau Wedel posted:

All of it. 999 strength, the maximum possible. Earlier in the run, Baalor also played five hundred copies of After Image against the Awakened One to make it as angry as possible.
I dunno if it's just me but I often find that playing powers against Bird Nerd is fine because powers are just so drat strong that they're worth more than +2 strength on the boss could ever be.

I mean like OK you have +10 strength but I've got Demon Form, 2 x FNP, Dark Embrace and Juggernaut or something.

They could buff it to +4 strength per power and that might make it more of a meaningful choice.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

I see you still can't rewind a live stream on Twitch in TYOOL 2024.

Hopefully it'll end up on YouTube!

The Twitch page you want is Videos. You can skip all around, even if the stream is live.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/1ct6he0/did_you_know_grabbing_a_card_before_it_gets/

see this yet?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Finally time to put my APM to use in StS.

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

extremely large and incredibly huge
i was just thinking this game needed quicktime events

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Huge for the Silent meta.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Clugg posted:

I agree it was fun but man I don't think I'd have the patience to constantly Nightmare itself and Apparition then kill the Heart 3 hitpoints at a time with Nightmare, Prepared and Tingsha

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

A winning line is a winning line

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zephro posted:

I agree it was fun but man I don't think I'd have the patience to constantly Nightmare itself and Apparition then kill the Heart 3 hitpoints at a time with Nightmare, Prepared and Tingsha

This is where you bring out the old textbook standby of "having demonstrated the theory is sound, the actual work is left as an exercise for the reader."

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Diqnol posted:

Avocado may be my least favorite encounter in the whole game. There are many more dangerous fights but theres a high probability you’re losing some health to it, that you’ll see it twice in the act, and really its just a boring, long fight. Few are the decks that just body that rear end in a top hat at the start of act 2

I dislike the peppermint ball much worse than the avocado.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

EconDad posted:

I dislike the peppermint ball much worse than the avocado.

peppermint ball owns when you play as defect and have melter

avocado sucks no matter who you're playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Writhing Mass is the worst, in a tier of its own.
Avocado is second worst.

Of the remainder, some are more dangerous and/or more annoying than others but I don't sigh when I get them.