Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

BigPaddy posted:

Prius’ in particular are targets since the cat is easy to get too

Related, I now know 2 people who drive trucks that have had a hole drilled in the fuel tank in the last 2 weeks. Seems completely ridiculous but you can crawl right under every single fullsize truck without a problem and steal ~30 gallons of fuel almost silently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
God drat it. How long before everyone has to have an under-car motion-activated dash cam with hidden storage drive.

My SC400 has the fuel tank in between the back seat and the trunk, so it is safe at least.

Question: what are thieves doing with the 30 gallons of gas out of the bottom of a fuel tank? How are they collecting and moving it? That has to be very heavy and bulky. I know gasoline is less dense than water, but 30 gallons of water is almost 250 pounds.

If I go and drill holes in fuel tanks, should I use a brushless drill because they create less sparks?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 22, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Stealing fuel by drilling the tank sounds a lot like people who steal copper from power transformers. Once a few of them Darwin Award themselves word gets around it might not be the best idea.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Stealing fuel by drilling the tank sounds a lot like people who steal copper from power transformers. Once a few of them Darwin Award themselves word gets around it might not be the best idea.

We have consistent issues in several countries in south america with telecom towers going down. People are cutting fiber hoping it's copper they can steal. This has been an ongoing issue in largely the same areas going on 4 or 5 years.

You just can't use logic or sense to explain these things.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

[...] have cats they are integrated into the exhaust manifold and not just chilling under the car which helps.

The blessing and curse of recent model Civics.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah I think it wouldn't take much to design cats to take more than 2 minutes with a reciprocating saw. Location, skid plates, etc. Just do ... Something to make it harder and less desirable.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Now that i have a lovely apartment in the lovely part of town, I'm afarid to drive my sequoia. I thought about putting motion and sound detectors under the car rigged to an air horn, with about a 10 second delay. Let them get under there and start cutting for a second, then fire the air horn. Guarantees i'll scare the poo poo out of the guy and he's mash his head into the bottom of the frame.

For the gas tank one, it would almost be fun to rig up a spark plug to fire near the tank. Just make sure it's gone when the insurance company comes to investigate ...

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Verman posted:

Yeah I think it wouldn't take much to design cats to take more than 2 minutes with a reciprocating saw. Location, skid plates, etc. Just do ... Something to make it harder and less desirable.

Changing the location requires engineering budget. Denied.

Skid plates requires materials cost. Denied. Skid plates require an extra step in manufacturing. Double denied. Skid plates require added weight, which could impact rated fuel economy* by 0.001 mpg. Triple denied.

* Note: we only care about rated fuel economy. We do not give a poo poo about real world performance.

Do Civics suffer the same "inhaling broken off pieces of catalyst into the intake air stream" issues that all those 2.5L Nissan products (QR25DE iirc) have battled with?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

PBCrunch posted:

Do Civics suffer the same "inhaling broken off pieces of catalyst into the intake air stream" issues that all those 2.5L Nissan products (QR25DE iirc) have battled with?

Many original 1zz engines in mr2 spyder
also ate premature poo poo bus sucking up pre cat honeycomb. Hope the Honda engines never burn oil

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Someone will have to explain this to me because I can't for the life of me figure out how catalyst debris would end up in the intake?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Someone will have to explain this to me because I can't for the life of me figure out how catalyst debris would end up in the intake?

Valve overlap. For exhaust scavenging the intake valves are open at a point where the exhaust valves are still very slightly open on the downstroke, which creates a vacuum on the exhaust side, so it can pick up and debris that are in there and pull them into the cylinder.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It seems it just gets sucked in through the exhaust valves.

It's the butterfly valve screws that get sucked in through the intake valves.

https://www.b15sentra.net/threads/qr25de-precat-and-butterfly-screw-faq.135241/

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

If I remember right, this was kind of a cheapskate move to eliminate EGR hardware.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

If I remember right, this was kind of a cheapskate move to eliminate EGR hardware.

I'd stop short of cheapskate, since not having EGR means never dealing with EGR failures. But yes, valve timing can be manipulated in such a way that EGR isn't required. GM did this with the LSx all the time. Even on the original LS1 itself, the cam used in the Corvette let them eliminate EGR. The cam used in the F-body to cut power a little bit, also required EGR.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
Hi there I'm forums poster Jake Gittes. I'm new to AI.

I've spent COVID times working on restoring a 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I may make a project page about it someday, but here's the current before/after status.

Anyway today I added Restomod Air Membrane Thermal/Noise Insulation under the roof while I work on replacing the headliner.

I had the body shop weld-up the attachment points for the roof rack, and I made sure to apply cold galvanization to the raw metal spots on the underside of the roof before applying the membrane.

Cheers.

Jake Gittes fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 23, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’s rad! A childhood friend had one parked in their driveway that looked a lot like the before picture if you can imagine that. I don’t even begrudge you doing away with the wood grain.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Almost every time I fix something cool at my Dad's garage I say 'y'know what we forgot to do? Take before pictures'

Well done transformation 👌

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

That looks awesome. Did you paint it yourself? No shame in leaving that to the pros if that's the route you chose.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
Thanks folks!

nitsuga posted:

I don’t even begrudge you doing away with the wood grain.

I may still bring it back! The OEM Wood Grain is a lovely sticker with some riveted-on molding pieces. I knew I was going to use a professional restoration shop to re-finish the vehicle, but I wanted to save some shop labor hours and took off the wood-grain myself. It was a great boring, mindless task to do in the summer of 2020 when all I wanted to do was get my mind off of COVID.

However now that I have this incredible paint job, I'm in no hurry to put a sticker over it. I'm going to enjoy the nice paint for a while longer still.

PBCrunch posted:

That looks awesome. Did you paint it yourself? No shame in leaving that to the pros if that's the route you chose.

Hell no I didn't paint it. I did the mechanical and electrical work myself, and I even did some paint prep work. However that poo poo is best left to the pros! (At least I'm no good at it - I'm sure plenty of folks around these parts are.)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hypnolobster posted:

Related, I now know 2 people who drive trucks that have had a hole drilled in the fuel tank in the last 2 weeks. Seems completely ridiculous but you can crawl right under every single fullsize truck without a problem and steal ~30 gallons of fuel almost silently.

poo poo, maybe I do want to lower the Accord. Just as a precaution, you see

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jake Gittes posted:

Thanks folks!

I may still bring it back! The OEM Wood Grain is a lovely sticker with some riveted-on molding pieces. I knew I was going to use a professional restoration shop to re-finish the vehicle, but I wanted to save some shop labor hours and took off the wood-grain myself. It was a great boring, mindless task to do in the summer of 2020 when all I wanted to do was get my mind off of COVID.

However now that I have this incredible paint job, I'm in no hurry to put a sticker over it. I'm going to enjoy the nice paint for a while longer still.

Hell no I didn't paint it. I did the mechanical and electrical work myself, and I even did some paint prep work. However that poo poo is best left to the pros! (At least I'm no good at it - I'm sure plenty of folks around these parts are.)

It's an absolute killer look. I say leave the wood off, but maybe think about something along the lines of Cherokee/Cherokee Chief stripes?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Panty Saluter posted:

bro how did you drip enough oil to start a fire???

Oil fill on the 4.6 is on the passenger side cam cover. Any spills go right down to the exhaust manifold at about the #1/#2 cylinder

edit:
Nice Wagoneer!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That wagoneer is cool and would make me smile seeing it drive by.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

poo poo, maybe I do want to lower the Accord. Just as a precaution, you see

Bag everything for safety and security. When you park just lay it on the ground. No more gas or cat thefts.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Suburban Dad posted:

That wagoneer is cool and would make me smile seeing it drive by.

I decided to take on this project in a pre-COVID world, but it quickly hit the back burner as life was getting weird in March 2020.

I started tinkering around with it again later in Summer 2020 hoping it'd give both me and someone else some smiles.

I'm glad it gave an internet posting person the idea of having a smile if they saw it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Jake Gittes posted:

Hi there I'm forums poster Jake Gittes. I'm new to AI.

I've spent COVID times working on restoring a 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I may make a project page about it someday, but here's the current before/after status.

Anyway today I added Restomod Air Membrane Thermal/Noise Insulation under the roof while I work on replacing the headliner.

I had the body shop weld-up the attachment points for the roof rack, and I made sure to apply cold galvanization to the raw metal spots on the underside of the roof before applying the membrane.

Cheers.

That thing is rad as hell. I have an 89 I haven't barely touched and a J10 Honcho I've built most of the way and daily drive when I'm in the same state as it, and I seem to recall there are a few other FSJ people around here as well. Someone was 4.0L EFI swapping a J truck years ago, I think there was a Cherokee but I'm not sure I've seen it recently, at least one M715 build (tuna is building one, and I think there was another as well), and INTERNETRACECAR has a J10 that I need to harass him into posting about as well.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Went back to the stock wheels on the Fit for now. The Konigs had too low of an offset and the rears would rub over bumps and dips in the road. I am thinking of picking up a set of stock sized Sparco Trofeos from Tire Rack and just swapping the OEM tires over.

I got the Konig setup for cheap so I’ll probably just sell them to recoup a little cash.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Got an update from the shop at its $12,100 in damages. Labor time will be a little over three weeks. Since a strut tower was damaged, my biggest concern is the car will never drive the same again.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ordered wheels yesterday, they showed up today somehow. 16x6.5 Sparco Trofeo - I just had the shop swap my stock tires onto these, and though they don’t look as wild as the super-wide Konigs I had on recently, the tires now don’t rub on bigger dips and bumps.

Before:

After:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Since the engine in the C10 is leaking I bought another junk yard engine that is leaking to replace it.

Can you guess what it is from the pile of stuff I won’t be using?

Spent the morning cleaning and now…

Grand Orange.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BigPaddy posted:

Since the engine in the C10 is leaking I bought another junk yard engine that is leaking to replace it.

Can you guess what it is from the pile of stuff I won’t be using?

Spent the morning cleaning and now…

Grand Orange.

if it wasn't obvious from the intake manifold / throttle body visible in the first pic, it's given away by the spider peeking out from the valley. L31. which is absolutely the right choice if you're staying carb'd

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Staying carb and just dropped $1600 with summit on a bunch of stuff to freshen it up and since it will be apart going to throw in the LT4 cam, do the LS6 value spring upgrade. I wanted to do the valve stem seals and if a am doing that the heads really need to come off as I know myself and will end up dropping a valve. So new head gaskets and ARP hardware for that. If this thing doesn't do the 4000 miles road trip after pretty much everything being gone through or replaced I won't be happy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BigPaddy posted:

Staying carb and just dropped $1600 with summit on a bunch of stuff to freshen it up and since it will be apart going to throw in the LT4 cam, do the LS6 value spring upgrade. I wanted to do the valve stem seals and if a am doing that the heads really need to come off as I know myself and will end up dropping a valve. So new head gaskets and ARP hardware for that. If this thing doesn't do the 4000 miles road trip after pretty much everything being gone through or replaced I won't be happy.

this is good. get some 1.6 rockers while you're at it, if you're gonna clearance the stems. if you're just doing the seals, might be too risky tho

also, get some new LS lifters while you're in there, and double check the pushrod length. mine ended up being a special order length

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Full Collapse posted:

Got an update from the shop at its $12,100 in damages. Labor time will be a little over three weeks. Since a strut tower was damaged, my biggest concern is the car will never drive the same again.

That's terrible. This is an 86, right? Condolences, and I too would be worried how it's going to drive afterward.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Raluek posted:

this is good. get some 1.6 rockers while you're at it, if you're gonna clearance the stems. if you're just doing the seals, might be too risky tho

also, get some new LS lifters while you're in there, and double check the pushrod length. mine ended up being a special order length

Sticking with 1.5 as 1.6 it gets a bit tight if you don’t have the bosses machined down and with that setup will still be decent for a street truck. Later if I want it to be a bit more then I can get the machine work done and put 1.6 ratio rockers on.

Didn’t order pushrods as I want to get it done and then measure and 100% new lifters as I wouldn’t trust 20 year old ones.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Sold my minivan. Listed a Subaru once and thought that was a lot of messages. Minivan boooooy howdy; twenty within the hour, probably pushing forty a few hours later.

plus or minus a few phone collecting bots

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

nitsuga posted:

That's terrible. This is an 86, right? Condolences, and I too would be worried how it's going to drive afterward.

Yep. 86 Hakone Edition.

My window shopping is probably a coping mechanism, but even after an accident and modding, ballpark trade-in for my car is quite reasonable.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Fixed the "road noise" on the 7.3. It just had a totally shot center support bearing.

Decided it was a good call to throw three spicer life 1410's at the driveshaft while it was out. Got everything reassembled on the shaft and went to mount the rear u-joint into the yoke, pulled the caps off just to make sure everything was good and noticed one of the little nylon thrust washers in the cap was missing.

That final u-joint had been in an open box and missing clips that I noticed in the oreillys parking lot and went back in for, but it didn't occur to me to pull the caps at the store.

I guess I should just be glad I noticed or I would have installed it and been really confused about the new horrible driveshaft vibration.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Full Collapse posted:

Yep. 86 Hakone Edition.

My window shopping is probably a coping mechanism, but even after an accident and modding, ballpark trade-in for my car is quite reasonable.

Just in time for the new gr86!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

queef anxiety posted:

Just in time for the new gr86!

:v:

I’m getting close to 40, so I’m tempted to embrace my Suburban White Guy and get a Bimmer 2 series.