Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm trying to recreate a green curry that this small Thai place used to make. It was pretty thin and soupy. Definite ingredients were:

Coconut milk, green curry, bamboo shoots, straw mushrooms, thai basil, lengthwise jalapenos, green beans, beef/chicken/shrimp.

From memory, there was nothing else solid in the dish. The green beans and jalapenos were only lightly cooked. Still had some crunch to them.

This recipe was pretty close to the mark when I made it, so I'm going to use it as a starting point.

The broccoli and green onion will be traded for the vegetables above. Thai basil instead of cilantro. No need for xantham gum as I don't want to thicken. Also I don't think peanut butter (or peanut flavor) was part of the original dish. Canned bamboo/mushrooms will be added with the liquids. I'll be leaving in the ginger, lime juice, and garlic as I'm assuming those were used in the dish I so miss.

Main questions I have are:

1.) Vegetable stock? Is that traditional or is there something better that may have been used in the original dish?

2.) Turmeric? In that quantity is it mostly just adding color? I probably have no need of it then, as the original dish liquid was white with a touch of green.

I'd appreciate any insight into recreating this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Today, we’re going with a Thai style curry, that won’t be spicy at all.
Trying to confuse me I do believe.

I don't think vegetable stock is a traditional ingredient at all, looks like it's mostly there to adapt the ingredients to some specific diet. Most recipes I've seen it's curry paste and coconut milk for the sauce and nothing else. (I'm counting fish sauce and lime juice under "other, but essential components here.) Pretty definitely not sour cream either.

Was the curry sweet at all? Often thai curries are balanced with a little sugar. Palm sugar is nice if you can get it, I've used raw cane sugar and it wasn't awful. I'd shy away from white sugar.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Trying to confuse me I do believe.

I don't think vegetable stock is a traditional ingredient at all, looks like it's mostly there to adapt the ingredients to some specific diet. Most recipes I've seen it's curry paste and coconut milk for the sauce and nothing else. (I'm counting fish sauce and lime juice under "other, but essential components here.) Pretty definitely not sour cream either.

Was the curry sweet at all? Often thai curries are balanced with a little sugar. Palm sugar is nice if you can get it, I've used raw cane sugar and it wasn't awful. I'd shy away from white sugar.

Yes, I think it was a bit sweet (but mostly spicy). I'll probably be able to get some palm sugar.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Convexed posted:

I'm cooking up a chicken to take for lunches this week. I'm sick on sandwiches and can't afford to eat out in Central London every day.

The thing is, what should I make to go with it? Some sorta carb that I can take along too? Would be grateful for your ideas.

Death to boring lunches!

a coleslaw or a nice and spiced up couscous, with orange zest, raisins, chickpeas and spring onions

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
I woke up after a bender today and discovered I had made 2 gallons of goat broth last night. I was smart enough to lightly flavor it with celery, carrot, and onion so it is versatile but I am in desperate need of soup ideas.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
Anyone got ideas for relatively wholesome recipes that are challenging and complex? I'm trying to eat a bit healthier, but you'll pry my lazy Sunday afternoon cooking projects out of my cold, dead hands. Still, stuff like macarons from scratch, Julia Child's coq au vin or fresh-pasta lasagna are just too rich to make a regular thing.

So far I have:
-Classic ratatouille
-Curry pastes from scratch
-Vegetable dumplings or steamed buns
-Biryani

I'm more or less omnivorous, so any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

If you can find rice paper wraps and a spare hour or so, summer rolls are always good. Stuff some herbs, rice noodles and cucumbers in with the chicken, bring a little container of peanut sauce or nuoc cham along. Alternatively you could chop it fine and mix with lime/fish sauce/cilantro/peanuts for a larb type thing to wrap in lettuce leaves.

Hecuba fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 14, 2014

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

LorrdErnie posted:

I woke up after a bender today and discovered I had made 2 gallons of goat broth last night. I was smart enough to lightly flavor it with celery, carrot, and onion so it is versatile but I am in desperate need of soup ideas.

Don't make soup. Reduce it, concentrate it and freeze it so that you can add meaty goat flavour to things at will.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Baking makes me uncomfortable, but I am not immune to the dulcet siren-call of chocolate chipped cookies.

I made a basic batch of cookies, with half cakeflour (15flour:1cornstarch) and half normal all purpose, butter, eggs, applesauce, sugar et cetera and when it was all said and done my cookies - while delicious - were more pancake-ish in body than cookie.

It was this recipe, but 1/3 the amount of sugar - because that poo poo is waaaay too sweet - and applesauce instead of half the butter.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/091crex.html?_r=0

The cookie dough held its shape really well while I was balling it out and I admit to eating more dough than I used to actually bake, but how do I get less fluffy cookies and more chewy/crispy cookies? It's all the same goddamned ingredients.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 15, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Drifter posted:

Baking makes me uncomfortable, but I am not immune to the dulcet siren-call of chocolate chipped cookies.

I made a basic batch of cookies, with half cakeflour (15flour:1cornstarch) and half normal all purpose, butter, eggs, applesauce, sugar et cetera and when it was all said and done my cookies - while delicious - were more pancake-ish in body than cookie.

It was this recipe, but 1/3 the amount of sugar - because that poo poo is waaaay too sweet - and applesauce instead of half the butter.

The cookie dough held its shape really well while I was balling it out and I admit to eating more dough than I used to actually bake, but how do I get less fluffy cookies and more chewy/crispy cookies? It's all the same goddamned ingredients.

Using applesauce instead of butter is kind of strange, and probably the source of your problems. Sugar also affects how things bake. Have you tried the recipe as written?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Drifter posted:

I'm wanting to make some lentil flour but do I need to cook them, or can I just grind up the dry lentils? I hear all this poo poo about poo poo being poisonous or whatever but I have yet to die from things up until now, so...although if I ever have anyone eat anything I cook with it I don't want them to get sick or whatever.

If I must cook them, can I just parboil them for a few minutes before I dry them out or will I need to cook them fully through?

This was a while ago, but as far as I know raw lentils aren't poisonous. I know kidney beans have a toxin in them that can cause gastrointestinal distress, so maybe lentils have the same compound? I think you'd want to cook whatever you make with lentil flour anyway since bean flours tend to be rather bitter in their raw state. This is just my guess though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Using applesauce instead of butter is kind of strange, and probably the source of your problems. Sugar also affects how things bake. Have you tried the recipe as written?

That I have not. Perhaps I'll do that when I have a bunch of people over to eat it all. I've generally had no issue with halving amounts of sugar in most baking things, and I'd always read applesauce makes a good substitute for oil - in moderate amounts.

They ended up as firm, fluffy little cakes, which were tasty, but I was in the mood for some slight crunch.

Baking! :argh:

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Drifter posted:

That I have not. Perhaps I'll do that when I have a bunch of people over to eat it all. I've generally had no issue with halving amounts of sugar in most baking things, and I'd always read applesauce makes a good substitute for oil - in moderate amounts.

They ended up as firm, fluffy little cakes, which were tasty, but I was in the mood for some slight crunch.

Baking! :argh:

Yeah sugar in cookies is, oddly, an architecturally load-bearing ingredient. I've run into major textural problems just by adding sugar at the wrong time in a chocolate chip cookie recipe. Also, subbing in applesauce is a great way to add moistness in a baked good, which is what fats generally do. It sounds like it did its job too well in this case, making your cookies into moist little cakelets. I've found that baking is more of a science than an art--there's less flexibility than if you were, say, making a pasta sauce or something. Except for bread though, bread doesn't give a gently caress.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Micomicona posted:

Yeah sugar in cookies is, oddly, an architecturally load-bearing ingredient. I've run into major textural problems just by adding sugar at the wrong time in a chocolate chip cookie recipe. Also, subbing in applesauce is a great way to add moistness in a baked good, which is what fats generally do. It sounds like it did its job too well in this case, making your cookies into moist little cakelets. I've found that baking is more of a science than an art--there's less flexibility than if you were, say, making a pasta sauce or something. Except for bread though, bread doesn't give a gently caress.
Cakelets is such an accurate word for what they were.

Regarding bread, I just picture a million little Despicable Me minions ne yeast running around the bread dough doing all the work that you could be doing, but doing it better.

Anyone not in a hurry who kneads bread is a poser. :colbert:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Drifter posted:

Anyone not in a hurry who kneads bread is a poser. :colbert:
... What? What the hell is wrong with kneading dough?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hauki posted:

... What? What the hell is wrong with kneading dough?

If you're not in a hurry, you don't knead to. :laugh:

(I just wanted to set that pun up. sorry.)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Convexed posted:

I'm cooking up a chicken to take for lunches this week. I'm sick on sandwiches and can't afford to eat out in Central London every day.

The thing is, what should I make to go with it? Some sorta carb that I can take along too? Would be grateful for your ideas.

Death to boring lunches!

Often I'll bake a chicken in the dutch oven with onion, celery, carrots and some quartered up potatoes along with bay, thyme, salt, pepper and a ton of paprika on top of the chicken. If you brine the chicken beforehand it's even better imo. This gives me a lot of carbs to throw in containers along with the parted chicken for lunches.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Drifter posted:

Good Eats did a whole episode about cookies, and the salient point that I remember is that the type of fat was largely responsible for the nature of the finished product. Try replacing the butter with Crisco or peanut oil or some other neutral oil. Or, since you're cutting the fat with applesauce anyway, lard. And is this a recipe for chocolate chipped cookies that you're just not putting the chocolate chips into or what? If so you might want to go with quartering the sugar instead of thirding it.

*Edit I read that first sentence wrong,(about chocolate chips) apologies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FetusSlapper posted:

Good Eats did a whole episode about cookies, and the salient point that I remember

I'll try my version next week with Coconut oil and applesauce next week, then. This week I'll just 100% the recipe (with reduced sugar) and hand them out to friends. If it turns out okay then I'll only have myself to blame, and not God, like usual.

Baking!:argh:

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Uhhhg, food theory help needed. What does someone lack in your nutritional intake when they crave fried herring and mashed potatoes really bad?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ubergnu posted:

Uhhhg, food theory help needed. What does someone lack in your nutritional intake when they crave fried herring and mashed potatoes really bad?

Generally craving carbs, fat and salts is common if your diet has them fairly often. Is this from someone who typically does not eat those sorts of things?

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Yeah, I'm normally a salad/rice based type of food guy. But I think I'm going to hunt those little bastard down now, there are several places where you can do that here! Even got the tools. And after that, I'll buy some herring.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

I'll try my version next week with Coconut oil and applesauce next week, then. This week I'll just 100% the recipe (with reduced sugar) and hand them out to friends. If it turns out okay then I'll only have myself to blame, and not God, like usual.

Baking!:argh:

Don't be offended if your friends won't eat your reduced sugar cookies. Using ⅓ the amount of sugar is pretty substantial. And why did you use cake flour?

edit: I see the original recipe uses cake flour. That seems weird to me. Cookies should be chewy, which means you want flour with more protein, not less.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Don't be offended if your friends won't eat your reduced sugar cookies. Using ⅓ the amount of sugar is pretty substantial.

I also wasn't clear on why the cake flour, but it's easy enough to make so just went with it. I guess they are supposed to come out a little poofy, at least going by the visual guide of Ultimate Cookies.

Not really. They are all sweet as gently caress. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but recipes that use almost 2:3 ratio of sugar to other don't really need that much to taste sweet.

I've found sugar has a maximum sweetness factor where past a point you're just adding sugar for no practical taste gain. There may be structural issues with the product if it's a type of whatever, but that's not necessary for cookies.

I do it with many desserts I make for people, pies/cobblers and mousses and whatnot and it always tastes amazing.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 15, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure why ap flour and corn starch is a sub for cake flour. Real cake flour uses soft wheat and is milled super fine.

I would think less sugar would change the texture and how the outside browns and crisps up, but I can't say for sure.

I will add that when I make cookies, the things I've found that matter a whole whole lot to the finished product are:

•Cream the poo poo out of the butter and sugar
•Once the flour is incorporated, stop mixing immediately.
•Scoop then chill the dough before baking

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So just like almost fold the flour in? Any particular reason or is it so the butter doesn't melt down?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm not sure why ap flour and corn starch is a sub for cake flour. Real cake flour uses soft wheat and is milled super fine.

It's a McGyver substitute to lessen and inhibit the gluten/protein content of the flour. It's not a thing you'd ever want to use even faux-professionally, but at home it works quite fine from what I've seen (other people do because I'm a baking monster).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ubergnu posted:

Means you're turning Scandinavian. I'm sorry, bro.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I got a bunch of shisito peppers from my CSA. I sauteed some until they blistered and gave it a squirt of lemon. Kind of boring. It's a neat gimmick that some are hot, but I'm unimpressed. I've got a lot more so I figured I'd tried doing a tempura. Any other ideas?

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Drifter posted:

You should really make this exactly as written (use the chocolate feves if you can find them, make them the huge size they say to, use all the butter and sugar). It's my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe in all the land, and you'll get cookies like this (VERY old photos, but you get the idea):

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

geetee posted:

I got a bunch of shisito peppers from my CSA. I sauteed some until they blistered and gave it a squirt of lemon. Kind of boring. It's a neat gimmick that some are hot, but I'm unimpressed. I've got a lot more so I figured I'd tried doing a tempura. Any other ideas?
Blistered in oil then finished with coarse salt is bang-on perfect if the peppers are good and you're doing them right---enough oil to coat, but not enough that you'd need to drain them, medium-high heat so they're cooked through just as you're getting around a quarter of the skin blistered.

If you need to get fancy with 'em: lightly fry 'til they're not quite done, slice, spoon in a little chèvre, pinch of coarse salt on top, skewer and grill or throw them in the broiler until they're blistering, finish with a touch of dashi and light soy.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

We ate at the Old Mill restaurant not long ago in Pigeon Forge TN, and they had these great green beans, seen here. What's the secret to beans like that? The green beans I know are slender, round and slightly chewy things. These were flat and soft and damned good. How can I make beans like that?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

sharkattack posted:

You should really make this exactly as written (use the chocolate feves if you can find them, make them the huge size they say to, use all the butter and sugar). It's my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe in all the land, and you'll get cookies like this (VERY old photos, but you get the idea):

Can I just sub all purpose flour in that thing? I barely ever bake so stocking on three different types of flour is kind of a pain.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

me your dad posted:

We ate at the Old Mill restaurant not long ago in Pigeon Forge TN, and they had these great green beans, seen here. What's the secret to beans like that? The green beans I know are slender, round and slightly chewy things. These were flat and soft and damned good. How can I make beans like that?

Those aren't green beans, but snow peas or sugar snap peas (I think the latter)...buy the right beans and you'll be able to reproduce them ;-)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 16, 2014

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A while ago, like quite a few months ago, I picked up a 4lb bag of pre-frozen chicken breasts. I guess I forgot they were in there, and now that my roommate is moving out I was doing some cleaning and found it. I've looked the package over a few times and can't seem to find an expiration date; how do I know if these things are still good? The seal on the bag was never broken if that matters at all.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
me your dad and paraquat, I doubt those are snow peas or sugar snap peas, those types just aren't usually braised. There are different varieties of green beans, you'll want to look in a farmer's market when beans are in season to look for a wider, flatter variety like roma bush beans or spanish pole beans.

The cooking method typically involves sweating some onion in butter or animal fat, adding in some sort of cured pork like bacon or ham hock, sometimes some garlic if you like, then adding the beans and water or stock and braising the beans for awhile until tender. Season with salt, pepper, sometimes red pepper flakes and maybe some vinegar. You can do that method with the regular round beans too, they will get more soft if you braise them long enough.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GobiasIndustries posted:

A while ago, like quite a few months ago, I picked up a 4lb bag of pre-frozen chicken breasts. I guess I forgot they were in there, and now that my roommate is moving out I was doing some cleaning and found it. I've looked the package over a few times and can't seem to find an expiration date; how do I know if these things are still good? The seal on the bag was never broken if that matters at all.

At least five or six months, more if it's in a deep freezer.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

ubergnu posted:

Well, I crave them because I'm Finnish and they're my comfort food. Mmmm, silakkapihvi. Now I want to go to Cella for some herrings and mashed potatoes.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Jan posted:

Can I just sub all purpose flour in that thing? I barely ever bake so stocking on three different types of flour is kind of a pain.

I've only ever used AP flour and I've made these a bunch of times.

The only thing I'd suggest is going darker on the chocolate. THe dough IS quite sweet, so the bitterness from the choc provides a nice counterpoint.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

They're good. After a few months the texture begins to suffer, but they are perfectly safe to eat.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Jan posted:

Actually yeah, just like Dane said. I've made them with all AP quite a few times. I usually buy the Bob's Red Mill unbleached AP, though, because it's pretty high in protein (and you can use it to make great bread).

Dane posted:

I've only ever used AP flour and I've made these a bunch of times.

The only thing I'd suggest is going darker on the chocolate. THe dough IS quite sweet, so the bitterness from the choc provides a nice counterpoint.
Yeah, agreed. I usually use at least 70%

Oh and they make great giant ice cream sandwich cookies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Leper Residue posted:

Cabbage was like 39 cents a pound and I impulse bought a head of it for like a dollar. I have no idea what to do with this stuff. I was thinking of making Miso soup, and one recipe has chard in it. Would cabbage be an ok substitute?

If not, what the hell do I do with this cabbage that isn't cole slaw, since mayonnaise is freaking disgusting, and mayo plus sugar is even grosser.

God I am soooo late on reply here, so sorry but what I love to do with my cabbage is shred it, then saute it with onions and garlic in coconut oil or bacon grease, add a pinch of salt/pepper/dried parsley to taste and cook it till tender. It cooks down fast, and is filling, and tastes great. You can even go a little healthy if you want by subbing it for noodles for spaghetti.

This is basically what I do for St Paddy Day to go with my corned beef... I bake a clove-studded corned beef with a mustard/brown sugar glaze and serve it with the sauteed cabbage/onion on the side. Its really tasty, and its easy to boot.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 16, 2014