Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FogHelmut posted:

When is Lollipop due for the old Moto X? I haven't heard a thing since it was announced two months ago.

No date yet. I imagine because of the custom SoC in it it's a lot harder to build it for it than the old Moto G/new Moto G/Moto X, which all already have it or are currently getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Long Francesco posted:

so my g2 just installed a 200mb update that doesn't appear to do anything but make me lose root, which I cant seem to get back. Does anyone have any idea what this does? version D80120g, google brings up pretty much nothing but other confused people.

Advanced Calling/VoLTE update?

Not totally sure if the G2 had that or not?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

For LastInLine and anyone else who's having the WiFi authentication problem, I subscribed to the bug post and found this post suggesting a fix if you're using Titanium Backup. I've set it up and will report tomorrow morning.
Even if this doesn't work (and I think it will), thanks for making me finally go through my TiBu and set up labels for things. I've been meaning to do that for literally years and this was the perfect excuse to do it. My backups are Tuesday and Friday afternoons so I'm eager to hear whether this worked for you. :ohdear:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Even if this doesn't work (and I think it will), thanks for making me finally go through my TiBu and set up labels for things. I've been meaning to do that for literally years and this was the perfect excuse to do it. My backups are Tuesday and Friday afternoons so I'm eager to hear whether this worked for you. :ohdear:

Well, unfortunately I hosed up and forgot to apply the filter to the second of two backups I have running (modified data and new user/system apps & newer versions). So, sorry.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

On my Nexus 5 the 5.0.1 update seems to have resolved the memory leak issue, haven't had the launcher redraw since updating.

There was a problem I had with WiFi spontaneously disconnecting for 10-15 sec and reconnecting, it hasn't been fully resolved but it's far less frequent. It used to happen maybe once an hour (possibly less frequently) but now I'm noticing it once a night, so once every 5-6 hours. It also recovers the connection to Chromecast when that happens, where it didn't before.

That may be a problem with my home wifi though. Anyone having a similar issue where it seems almost like the router resetting (loss of data but not signal, followed by loss of signal, followed by reconnection as though nothing happened) but having checked my router I can confirm it isn't resetting or losing connection to the modem.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Can't wait to get Lollipop on my 2013 Moto X so they can ruin my perfect phone.

:siren: Don't do it! :siren:

Lollipop somehow destroys WiFi tethering for me. I had to downgrade my RAZR MAXX HD because of it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Melmac posted:

:siren: Don't do it! :siren:

Lollipop somehow destroys WiFi tethering for me. I had to downgrade my RAZR MAXX HD because of it.

This isn't the rooted thread, buddy! Official build chat only!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Nexus 4 on 4.4 for life! :smug:

Or at least until all the bugs are worked out of Lollipop.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It seems like once my N5 hits 100 hours uptime it starts to go to poo poo with constant redraws and sloppy performance. Pretty impressed otherwise with it and glad wifi still works because Cricket is still slow as poo poo.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Got the 5.0.1 OTA on my Nexus 4 last night, working great so far, but then so did 5.0 for me, maybe a little less launcher screen redrawing.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Decius posted:

No date yet. I imagine because of the custom SoC in it it's a lot harder to build it for it than the old Moto G/new Moto G/Moto X, which all already have it or are currently getting it.

Doesn't the new Moto X also use a custom SoC to an extent?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Hace posted:

Doesn't the new Moto X also use a custom SoC to an extent?

Yes, yes it does.

My guess is that the various 2013 models will start to get Lollipop after Motorola finishes the international rollout for the 2014 models.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Long Francesco posted:

so my g2 just installed a 200mb update that doesn't appear to do anything but make me lose root, which I cant seem to get back. Does anyone have any idea what this does? version D80120g, google brings up pretty much nothing but other confused people.

Not sure if this is the same update, but I got a similarly sized update with my Sprint G2 a month or so back which also removed root, but left traces of root files, so stumproot (the only rooting method that works on the new update) wouldn't work. For me, my only option was to use a tot file to clean flash back to pre-update (which removes all traces of root), then update, then use stump root to regain root. I decided this wasn't worth it, and didn't do it, but I have heard success stories from people I trust.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Motorola is offering $100 off $500. Would be nice to use on the Nexus 6 if ya know it was in stock

edit: Not sure if this means Nexus 6 is included *Offer excludes Moto E, Nexus 6, and Moto X on Republic Wireless.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

FAUXTON posted:

On my Nexus 5 the 5.0.1 update seems to have resolved the memory leak issue, haven't had the launcher redraw since updating.
At the moment, I can say the same... 41 hours uptime and no redraws. Looking promising indeed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

FAUXTON posted:

Have not noticed any memory funkiness since I updated to 5.0.1. 36 hours uptime and counting for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone with a Nexus 4 have the microphone start not working intermittently? I think this started maybe two weeks ago. I first noticed it because people I called or who called me couldn't hear me, and I chalked it up to Hangouts Dialer being stupid. Then it happened with my regular phone, and I pulled out a tuner app I have. That didn't register anything either. Rebooted, and the microphone worked. Now this will happen every few days (I don't talk on the phone much, so it's hard to pinpoint). Sometimes rebooting will fix the problem right away, sometimes not. Any ideas, or should I just go find a daughter board and replace that (it seems easy)?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Looks like Samsung is going straight to 5.0.1 on all their current phones (minus the international S5 that's seeing a limited rollout of 5.0 in Poland and Korea).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nimper posted:

This isn't the rooted thread, buddy! Official build chat only!

My bone stock 2013 X wifi tethers just fine. (Unlike those in the rooted thread, I don't mind paying for the service level I use)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Have not noticed any memory funkiness since I updated to 5.0.1. 36 hours uptime and counting for me.

Same here - 41 hours without a single redraw.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Nexus 4 on 4.4 for life! :smug:

Or at least until all the bugs are worked out of Lollipop.

What bugs? I just jumped back to android with a used 4 and after a day flashed 5.0.1 stock, although I've gone custom since. But there were no issues

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So considering I've never heard of AmongTech nor AndroidPIT, what does everyone think is the authenticity of leaked Android 5.1 features?
  • Silent mode added after missing on Android 5.0
  • General improvements in system stability
  • Improved RAM management
  • Fixes for sudden app closures
  • Improved battery management
  • Excessive consumption of network devices when used Wi-Fi fixed
  • Issues with wireless connections fixed
  • Problems with Okay Google function solved
  • Notifications problems solved
  • Some sound problems experience by certain devices fixed
  • Other improvements and changes
  • Changes in the Material Design color palette (after users complaints, possibly for a higher version though)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Merkinman posted:

So considering I've never heard of AmongTech nor AndroidPIT, what does everyone think is the authenticity of leaked Android 5.1 features?
I think they just made a list of issues that people are currently suffering from.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tunga posted:

I think they just made a list of issues that people are currently suffering from.
I was gonna say, that just looks like a wish list.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, especially with the really vaguely defined ones.

"Issues with wireless connections fixed"

"Notifications problems solved"

There you have it, all notification problems solved!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, especially with the really vaguely defined ones.

"Issues with wireless connections fixed"

"Notifications problems solved"

There you have it, all notification problems solved!

Hey, they did ship a "performance boosting thing."

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=66745

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

Not sure if this is the same update, but I got a similarly sized update with my Sprint G2 a month or so back which also removed root, but left traces of root files, so stumproot (the only rooting method that works on the new update) wouldn't work. For me, my only option was to use a tot file to clean flash back to pre-update (which removes all traces of root), then update, then use stump root to regain root. I decided this wasn't worth it, and didn't do it, but I have heard success stories from people I trust.

Yeah that's what happened to me, I think I'll just wait for a updated root thing if it means I have to wipe the whole thing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

64GB N6's were finally available around Europe today, managed to snag a white one. Hopefully it's a phone I enjoy.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I get the impression that conventional wisdom still holds up the iPhone's as the best overall mobile device camera (excluding windows phones), and it's color reproduction, panorama function, and speed are really top-notch. But while I know that megapixels don't count for as much as some phone manufacturers would have you believe, it seems that with all the 13+ MP android phones out now there would be one or two that have managed to match or exceed the iPhone camera's strengths while also having the baked-in benefit of greater image resolution, which a larger sensor affords.

I'm considering getting an android device soon, and I'd like to know if there is anyone here who has experience with both the newer iPhone cameras and newer high-end android cameras. Right now I'm leaning toward the Z3(C), and it would be awesome if anyone here can give a good account of its camera performance compared to the Note 4 and/or G3 (or any other flagship android camera). Sony's Xperia Z series cameras seem very highly regarded among reviewers, but when I check out the side-by-side photo comparisons of the Z1 and Z2 on gsmarena, the images look washed-out and over-processed compared to just about any other flagship's.

I'd just get the Note 4 and be done with it, but I just don't want a Samsung phone for some irrational reason.

I'm a long time iPhone person who wants to give android a shot, and while the simple novelty of an alternative mobile OS is one of the reasons I'm considering the switch, camera quality is really the overriding issue for me.

TLDR: is there a camera on an android device out right now that completely blows the iPhone 6's out of the water? Besides the Note 4 & Galaxy S5?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

TLDR: is there a camera on an android device out right now that completely blows the iPhone 6's out of the water?
Nope.

The Z3 and Nexus 6 cameras are pretty great. Maybe look at those since you hate Samsung?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 18, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Motorola is offering $100 off $500. Would be nice to use on the Nexus 6 if ya know it was in stock

edit: Not sure if this means Nexus 6 is included *Offer excludes Moto E, Nexus 6, and Moto X on Republic Wireless.
:argh: The second Motorola phone I buy in two years goes on sale less than a week after I buy it. Maybe they'll give me Motorola store credit for the difference.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I get the impression that conventional wisdom still holds up the iPhone's as the best overall mobile device camera (excluding windows phones), and it's color reproduction, panorama function, and speed are really top-notch. But while I know that megapixels don't count for as much as some phone manufacturers would have you believe, it seems that with all the 13+ MP android phones out now there would be one or two that have managed to match or exceed the iPhone camera's strengths while also having the baked-in benefit of greater image resolution, which a larger sensor affords.

I'm considering getting an android device soon, and I'd like to know if there is anyone here who has experience with both the newer iPhone cameras and newer high-end android cameras. Right now I'm leaning toward the Z3(C), and it would be awesome if anyone here can give a good account of its camera performance compared to the Note 4 and/or G3 (or any other flagship android camera). Sony's Xperia Z series cameras seem very highly regarded among reviewers, but when I check out the side-by-side photo comparisons of the Z1 and Z2 on gsmarena, the images look washed-out and over-processed compared to just about any other flagship's.

I'd just get the Note 4 and be done with it, but I just don't want a Samsung phone for some irrational reason.

I'm a long time iPhone person who wants to give android a shot, and while the simple novelty of an alternative mobile OS is one of the reasons I'm considering the switch, camera quality is really the overriding issue for me.

TLDR: is there a camera on an android device out right now that completely blows the iPhone 6's out of the water? Besides the Note 4 & Galaxy S5?

The Z3 Compact's camera is a huge improvement over the Nexus 4 and 7 and noticeable versus the Nexus 5. Output looks overprocessed in low light, but so does every other cell phone camera (never used an Iphone 6, though)

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

GWBBQ posted:

:argh: The second Motorola phone I buy in two years goes on sale less than a week after I buy it. Maybe they'll give me Motorola store credit for the difference.

Does this work with the N6? Because yeah uh I would like to have saved that money.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

nerve posted:

Does this work with the N6? Because yeah uh I would like to have saved that money.
Support just told me they don't have a policy on credits for the price difference, I asked them to escalate the request because they offered me store credit when the same thing happened last year with the Moto X

edit: update, they're checking on it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I need a cheapish smartphone. Last year's moto x or this year's moto g?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

GWBBQ posted:

Support just told me they don't have a policy on credits for the price difference, I asked them to escalate the request because they offered me store credit when the same thing happened last year with the Moto X

edit: update, they're checking on it.

You got me all excited now dawg. Keep us updated.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I need a cheapish smartphone. Last year's moto x or this year's moto g?

last year's moto x for sure

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

nerve posted:

You got me all excited now dawg. Keep us updated.
They need to check with Google because it's considered a Google device, not a Motorola device. Noncommittal response on whether they'll get back to me or not, I would say contact support and ask for yourself so they have more pressure to get an answer.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Which avenue did you take to get in touch with someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Support chat.

• Locked thread