Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schneider Heim posted:

How would you feel if Star Wars became a part of the MCU?

I'd be okay with it but I don't think Ant-Man would be happy with the Rebels' plan for how to blow up Thanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm due to watch The Last Jedi in three hours, and it got me thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYNDssdsVnM

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ Dammit

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 13, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Star Wars becoming part of the MCU would be dumb

But if they did a What-If comic where they mashed up the franchises, make it like 4 or 5 issues long, that would be fun.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Schneider Heim posted:

That's probably how they plan to end Infinity War. :v:

The universe lies broken and Ned gets his hands on the Infinity Gauntlet. As he concentrates to try and restore things to the way they were, his thoughts stray to the time he and Peter built his Lego Death Star.

And when he opens his eyes, Stan Lee and Yoda are there to congratulate him for restoring balance to the Force.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If Star Wars became part of the MCU there'd have to be a weird moment when the characters in the MCU wonder how the Star Wars movies somehow came to life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

If Star Wars became part of the MCU there'd have to be a weird moment when the characters in the MCU wonder how the Star Wars movies somehow came to life.

Based on recordings brought to Earth by Odin, a long time ago, from a galaxy far, far away.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh good, I don't have to look that up.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
If they wanted to put Easter eggs of ancient relics in the background or make vague reference to the force in their cosmic movies I wouldn't groan too hard but as long as the movies exist in universe (Spider-Man has seen Empire Strikes Back) I don't think they should gently caress around like that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The plot in The Last Jedi ends up being the resistance and the first order racing to collect a sigh artifact of great power that ends up being an Infinity Stone. At the end of the movie the First Order gets it and celebrates.

In the stinger Thanos kills them all and takes it. Howard the Duck becomes a Jedi.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rumor is Thursday is the announcement for the Disney/Fox merger.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Or they could make that comic where Han and Chewie crash the Millenium Falcon on Earth and Chewie becomes Bigfoot canon, but instead of Indiana Jones finding the Falcon at the end, it’s Wolverine.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I liked the Abnett/Lanning cosmic stuff, but I can't remember. Does Marvel do a lot of Intergalactic stuff or is it mostly confined to the Milky Way?

Milky Way seems like kind of a hosed up name for a galaxy, now that I type it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The precise location of the space stuff rarely comes up, but they've gone far outside the milky way before. You have to understand that the laws of physics and precise scope of the universe aren't really kept track of like in something like Star Trek. And people jump into wormholes and poo poo all the time anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Marvel owes Star Wars a great deal; Star Wars saved Marvel from going under in 1977.

I wonder whether you could say one would ever need the other more nowadays. I'm honestly not sure whether Marvel or Star Wars is bigger in 2017.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's obviously Star Wars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Star Wars. It's easily Star Wars.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Marvel puts out more movies and makes more money, but I bet that as mainstream as it is Marvel is still a bit more niche in its turnout than Star Wars, but small enough so that the word only makes sense in comparison.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Marvel puts out more movies for now. Star Wars is just now getting revved up.

Basically every measure you can use puts Star Wars ahead of Marvel, from nebulous terms like "brand engagement" to toy sales to blu ray sales to video game sales to licensing value. It's not even a conversation worth having. It's like asking if Superman or Ant Man is more popular.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I liked the Abnett/Lanning cosmic stuff, but I can't remember. Does Marvel do a lot of Intergalactic stuff or is it mostly confined to the Milky Way?

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/940057493027164160

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'll be curious how this merger affects future X-Men films. I guess we will be spared from that Gambit movie.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
I hope they put out a press release about that movie and it's all written in Gambit speak.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Beachcomber posted:

The real hosed up thing is that we call ALL galaxies "Milky Way" more or less because that's basically what galaxy means in Greek. You can't spell "galactic" without "lactic".

Galactus really shouldn't be eating planets. He should be suckling at the universe's teats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

I hope they put out a press release about that movie and it's all written in Gambit speak.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

The precise location of the space stuff rarely comes up, but they've gone far outside the milky way before. You have to understand that the laws of physics and precise scope of the universe aren't really kept track of like in something like Star Trek. And people jump into wormholes and poo poo all the time anyway.

Star Trek is pretty good about the galaxy being REALLY BIG. Yeah, there's wormholes now and then, but for the most part, you get something like Voyager where getting home will take decades, and Federation space doesn't even take up a quarter of the galaxy. Yeah, they're a bit nebulous (hurr) about exactly how long travel takes, but they're pretty clear that getting places takes time, even at faster-than-light speeds.

Star Wars is a bit different and never really makes it directly obvious how long hyperspace travel takes, though you can still infer quite a bit given that the scope of the movies never leaves the galaxy and that things like travel from outer rim planet Tatooine to core planet Alderaan is long enough for the pilot to wander around his ship watching someone learn to be a Jedi and a robot play space chess with the copilot, not to mention numerous mentions of the Republic/Empire barely having a presence in outer rim areas.

Marvel is a lot bigger in scope, with things happening in entirely different galaxies, but they don't really care about travel time or anything.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/cerrejonensis/status/940421589878833152

Hey guys what if disney combined marvel amd princess diaries?

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Lobok posted:

I'd be okay with it but I don't think Ant-Man would be happy with the Rebels' plan for how to blow up Thanos.

Hahahaha

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Psssssh, Green Arrow already used that plan to blow up Darkseid in Rock of Ages

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

lol, that note never fails to crack me up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/cerrejonensis/status/940421589878833152

Hey guys what if disney combined marvel amd princess diaries?
That's a pretty cool homophobic tweet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Star Trek is pretty good about the galaxy being REALLY BIG. Yeah, there's wormholes now and then, but for the most part, you get something like Voyager where getting home will take decades, and Federation space doesn't even take up a quarter of the galaxy. Yeah, they're a bit nebulous (hurr) about exactly how long travel takes, but they're pretty clear that getting places takes time, even at faster-than-light speeds.

Yeah there was the one time in TNG where some super math from a weird cosmic alien accidentally let them travel to another galaxy, and it was treated as both a huge problem and an amazing event.

In Marvel people just fly to "The edge of the known universe" at sublight speeds like it's no big deal.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
All spaceships fly at the speed of plot.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Is that a Blade: Trinity reference?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ojjeorago posted:

Dis hear unnauncemen' iz to con'form dat de much ballyhooed Gambit movie steehl be en produc'shun, chere. Gambit don' buh'leve in no "develop'mon, hell".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

irlZaphod posted:

That's a pretty cool homophobic tweet.

Dont forget the sexism.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No he's from England you guys it's totally different over there

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm due to watch The Last Jedi in three hours, and it got me thinking:

If Abnett/Lanning and Ewing were put in charge of it and it was just Cosmic Marvel I would buy ALL of it. I don't see it working without some time travel shenanigans though. (Long time ago and what not)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah there was the one time in TNG where some super math from a weird cosmic alien accidentally let them travel to another galaxy, and it was treated as both a huge problem and an amazing event.

In Marvel people just fly to "The edge of the known universe" at sublight speeds like it's no big deal.

What always bugged me was how the green lanterns get around. Just flying through space at presumably near light speeds powered by a little thing on your fingat.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

In all fairness though, Matt Mcgloin is an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

McCloud posted:

In all fairness though, Matt Mcgloin is an rear end in a top hat

Who published James Gunn's phone number in an attempt to get Nova into the MCU?

• Locked thread