Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

pootiebigwang posted:

Going to ask this very niche question here but if there is a better thread to ask this in someone feel free to direct me. I play a lot of my games on Steam/my pc through Moonlight/Sunshine so I can stream it to my Steam Deck and get all the fancy graphical bells and whistles but not be stuck in my office where my PC is. I also do this through my 4k tv so I can get HDR and 120hz VRR and it's pretty fuckin incredible how good it looks and runs. On the Steam Deck it feels native and the input lag is so low that I don't even struggle when playing multiplayer games. On my tv though the input lag is noticeable on anything that's fast paced, mostly because the bluetooth on my tv is trash and there isn't a way to enable game mode since the app runs natively and it's not through a console or external device.

With these 2.5ghz controllers would it be possible to connect wirelessly to my pc through walls so I can play my games on my tv with low input lag? Bluetooth is too far unfortunately but didn't know if these 2.5 ghz controllers had a stronger and faster connection capable of that or not. Sorry again for the super niche question but I honestly didn't even know 2.5ghz controllers were a thing until this post popped up.

I use a pro2 bluetooth with the 8bitdo adapter and I can connect easily to my PC on my top floor from my basement (2 stories down) with bluetooth. I stream through a Google TV with Chromecast dongle, and it also works equally well to pair the controller in Android mode to the Chromecast and route it through Moonlight.

This only half answers your question but my point is bluetooth may go further than you think, or the pro2 might happily connect to your Steam Deck directly with bluetooth (I don't have a steam deck, but I'm just guessing it would?) and moonlight can do the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

I use a pro2 bluetooth with the 8bitdo adapter and I can connect easily to my PC on my top floor from my basement (2 stories down) with bluetooth. I stream through a Google TV with Chromecast dongle, and it also works equally well to pair the controller in Android mode to the Chromecast and route it through Moonlight.

This only half answers your question but my point is bluetooth may go further than you think, or the pro2 might happily connect to your Steam Deck directly with bluetooth (I don't have a steam deck, but I'm just guessing it would?) and moonlight can do the rest.

Interesting, I've only tried using an Xbox Series controller and a third party bluetooth adapter and it cuts out a floor down. Wonder if the adapter is just garbage? The controller happily connects to bluetooth on the Steam Deck however I can't use HDR and VRR through the Steam Deck when docked (I might be wrong but I don't think a dock exists that does HDMI 2.1, nothing that I can find anyway) and it's just so hard to go back after seeing how games can look and run with those features enabled. I have a Nintendo Pro controller so I might test it out and see if it has a better connection with my existing adapter before throwing down some cash on the 8bitdo.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 25, 2023

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

lordfrikk posted:

Deliver Us Mars is free on Epic. I liked the first game well-enough but seems like the sequel was bit of a wet fart?

Trip Report, played it for about three hours last night. Thought I would like it more than the reviews suggested but the mixed reviews are spot on.

Feels like a game that is too ambitious, tries to do too much and doesn't really do anything well. The first game felt like a much more tight experience and was so much better for it.
The story and voice acting is quite engaging but the character models don't just dip into the uncanny valley, they dive in head first. The animations are particularly janky and any platforming sections are frustrating.

It does have some really nice set pieces and can be quite atmospheric and engaging at times. I will finish it, but it will come down to how much you can look past the obvious flaws and enjoy the story.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Walking dead and some other games bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/black-friday-score-walking-dead-more-from-skybound

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

From The Depths looks like a bonkers game I've never heard of before. Is it fun to actually play or is it just about setting up your arcane creations?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This seems to be going around today

https://twitter.com/PC_Focus_/status/1728007758958469414

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/24/23974420/ubisoft-assassins-creed-odyssey-pop-up-ad-xbox-playstation-technical-error

"Ubisoft is blaming a “technical error” for a fullscreen pop-up ad that appeared in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey this week. Reddit users say they spotted the pop-up on Xbox and PlayStation versions of the game, with an ad appearing just when you navigate to the map screen. “This is disgusting to experience while playing,” remarked one Reddit user, summarizing the general feeling against such pop-ups in the middle of gameplay."

"“We have been made aware that some players encountered pop-up ads while playing certain Assassin’s Creed titles yesterday,” says Ubisoft spokesperson Fabien Darrigues, in a statement to The Verge. “This was the result of a technical error that we addressed as soon as we learned of the issue.”"

The error is that they didnt mean to have it go live so soon.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lol I've been playing the poo poo out of Odyssey on pc the last couple of weeks and haven't gotten any in-game ads, but that's an extremely Ubisoft thing to try

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

OgNar posted:

This seems to be going around today

https://twitter.com/PC_Focus_/status/1728007758958469414

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/24/23974420/ubisoft-assassins-creed-odyssey-pop-up-ad-xbox-playstation-technical-error

"Ubisoft is blaming a “technical error” for a fullscreen pop-up ad that appeared in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey this week. Reddit users say they spotted the pop-up on Xbox and PlayStation versions of the game, with an ad appearing just when you navigate to the map screen. “This is disgusting to experience while playing,” remarked one Reddit user, summarizing the general feeling against such pop-ups in the middle of gameplay."

"“We have been made aware that some players encountered pop-up ads while playing certain Assassin’s Creed titles yesterday,” says Ubisoft spokesperson Fabien Darrigues, in a statement to The Verge. “This was the result of a technical error that we addressed as soon as we learned of the issue.”"

The error is that they didnt mean to have it go live so soon.

They just can't help themselves.
I bet you won't see that on the open seas, yarr

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
While not quite the same thing, I was playing HZD yesterday and thought I got an achievement but then noticed it was an ad for the Steam Autumn sale.
First i've seen that.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

OgNar posted:

While not quite the same thing, I was playing HZD yesterday and thought I got an achievement but then noticed it was an ad for the Steam Autumn sale.
First i've seen that.

There's a "major sale" option in the notification settings now, I think this is the first one since that was added.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

pootiebigwang posted:

Interesting, I've only tried using an Xbox Series controller and a third party bluetooth adapter and it cuts out a floor down. Wonder if the adapter is just garbage? The controller happily connects to bluetooth on the Steam Deck however I can't use HDR and VRR through the Steam Deck when docked (I might be wrong but I don't think a dock exists that does HDMI 2.1, nothing that I can find anyway) and it's just so hard to go back after seeing how games can look and run with those features enabled. I have a Nintendo Pro controller so I might test it out and see if it has a better connection with my existing adapter before throwing down some cash on the 8bitdo.

My adapter is also the 8bitdo adapter, but I haven't tried it with anything else to know if that's the special part. Maybe your flooring is just made of different materials than mine. It's hard to know.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm insanely behind on this thread but oh poo poo that looks great. Thank you for posting it here, I wouldn't have caught wind of it otherwise I think.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Everspace 1 and 2 are both pretty great. Very different games so worth checking them both out as you might prefer the breezier roguelike 1 or the proper freeform rpg of 2.

While I was figuring out my motion sickness I went back to the first game and used cheat engine to let me screw around more and I got hooked on it. I had a heavy credit multiplier so rather than die and get one absurdly tiny percent upgrade I was able to buy a bunch of them that really improved my survivability and the heavier ship. I was also running around with infinite missiles for a while and being able to go anime space nuts with missiles kept me alive longer to get a handle on some of the sectors. Huzzah for pc gaming and cheating. I'm gonna stick with it longer before going back to 2.

I'm excited about 2 because it's a polished proper game. So many of the space games of the last two decades have been tech demos or half working sandboxes. Some multiplayer games with a splash of singleplayer like Squadrons. Even when they are cool there is still a huge element of making your own fun. Everspace 2 has exploration but it's also a straightforward game in the same way Freelancer was. It's got a decent story, solid gameplay, great graphics, mission variety, etc etc. Very cool they were able to iterate on the first one so well.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

From The Depths looks like a bonkers game I've never heard of before. Is it fun to actually play or is it just about setting up your arcane creations?
The second part.
But if you LOVE building things and throwing them up against other fleets and navies it's super fun to watch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thinking of picking up Remnant 2. I liked the idea of 1 but it didn’t hook me. The sequel looks better.

How’s it play solo?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just bought Control, Cyberpunk 2077, Wasteland 3, and Persona 5. Wishlist is down to three titles, two of which have yet to be released. :toot:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Soul Glo posted:

Thinking of picking up Remnant 2. I liked the idea of 1 but it didn’t hook me. The sequel looks better.

How’s it play solo?

It's great solo, and is very easy to jump into random folks games to grind materials if you so desire. Definitely not a 'must be played in co-op' game, imo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

explosivo posted:

It's great solo, and is very easy to jump into random folks games to grind materials if you so desire. Definitely not a 'must be played in co-op' game, imo.

Hell ya that’s what I was wondering

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Jagged Alliance 3 is so fun. I can't believe we have a good modern JA game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Soul Glo posted:

How’s it play solo?

Remnant 2 is very much "Remnant 1, but better in every way". I really liked the first, so I loved the second.

If you like solving puzzles and figuring out secrets, I would recommend either sticking with solo or finding a buddy who is also blind because some of the hidden stuff is really creative and fun but if you matchmake with randos they'll probably already know it all.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Foul Fowl posted:

ds2 is the best one. the official power rankings are in fact as follows:

dark souls 2 / elden ring (aka dark souls 2, part II)
demon's souls (aka dark souls 2, part 0)
dark souls 3
dark souls 1

Where does bloodborne fit in? I have Dark Souls 1, but bounced off it. Finished Elden RIng. I bought Bloodborne but never played it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Bounced off Remnant 1 but loved 2. Hard to nail down what was different but I think everything feels like it's got just a touch more budget/polish, and that's apparently what I needed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I tried to give Remnant 2 a shot. It's intro was really bad and boring and once I reached the city the awful performance became extremely noticeable, so I gave up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

How’s it play solo?

it plays great solo as long as you use the handler class. Solo is nominally much harder since all the pressure is directed at you and getting downed means you wipe instantly, but the dog takes so much heat off of you while having the ability to revive you every 2 minutes that it makes solo about the same difficulty as coop.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Is Lords of the Fallen any good? I heard it got off to a rough start and was quickly overshadowed by Lies of P, but it’s on sale and has gotten patched like 25 times since (which may or may not be a good sign).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Owl Inspector posted:

it plays great solo as long as you use the handler class. Solo is nominally much harder since all the pressure is directed at you and getting downed means you wipe instantly, but the dog takes so much heat off of you while having the ability to revive you every 2 minutes that it makes solo about the same difficulty as coop.

I actually did pick Handler. One of my buddies also picked it up so I’ll have some help at some point too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that made me go from really liking Remnant 2 to absolutely loving it was when my partner died and I didn't know about the liquid escape item so I ran into the death fog at the border of the zone and found a suit of armour. That made me curious so upon respawn we went back there and investigated further, discovering what became my favourite class in the game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm trying out the Steam Interactive Recommender and I'm wondering if it supposed to show me ignored titles...?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Yay, I just beat Bioshock 2, and unlike the original Bioshock, I actually managed to finish it completely, so yeah, I was quite impressed! Truth be told, I did feel that similar feeling towards the end where I felt it should've just ended already and it was dragging, but it wasn't enough to kill my momentum as the first one did. Wonder if I should give Bioshock another shot at some point to do it fully: I did get it as part of the collection when I bought 2.

PROS

*Loved dual-wielding plasmids and guns, and I also loved the sheer amount of powers, weapons, ammo types: kind of gave me Doom Eternal vibes at times where I'm juggling it all to slaughter with deadly efficiency.

*Tons of cool encounters and arenas, liked laying down traps before a big fight and having to strategically take advantage of the environment and weaknesses and such: again, it's like an imm sim version of Doom Eternal.

*In general it just felt very fun: well-paced adventure with lots of neat events, some interesting twists and turns in the story (some of them being where you expect a twist and are surprised there is none), decent morality mechanics, great world design with so many little rewards and lore hidden for the explorers.

CONS

*I feel like I was lucky playing this, years after when I barely remember anything about Rapture, as I can imagine for most people who came into this right after Bioshock, disregarding the cooler gameplay, this would likely feel like just a rehash of practically everything they'd already seen before but with some trumped-up new villain that wasn't mentioned in the previous lore at all and with objectivism replaced with communism.

*One of the moral choices was a bit awkward in that mercy-killing is seen as a negative and leads to a worse ending, but I kinda get what they were going for and luckily there was enough wiggle room in the ending requirements that I still had a good ending, so I think that's them equating for that.

*Can certainly understand if the gameplay loop of killing big daddies to free little sisters and then harvesting 3 corpses and then battling a big sister would get a bit repetitive in its predictability. I guess it might be a necessary evil to, well, make you consider being evil to just be done with it.

*Game was a bit awkward at times with enemy spawns: I don't mind them coming back to keep things exciting, but sometimes it was making them appear in rooms I practically just cleared, as if they just came in when I turned my back for an instant.

*The sheer amount of gadgets and gizmos you get can actually be quite overwhelming: sometimes the game would screw up and switch me to an ammo type I didn't want when I went back to a gun, and I always hated having to reach all the way down the keyboard numbers to reach certain weapons (and yes, I'm too lazy to rebound them to weird buttons instead).

*Still has some aspects from Bioshock that I didn't enjoy that much, like the Vita-chambers.

So, from my understanding, next would be to do Minerva's Den, and as for Infinite...is it worth it?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 25, 2023

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Where does bloodborne fit in? I have Dark Souls 1, but bounced off it. Finished Elden RIng. I bought Bloodborne but never played it

Sekiro prequel

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FutureCop posted:

as for Infinite...is it worth it?

Infinite is about a 7/10 game, might be worth it for the current heavy discount on Steam. The story is morally confused and a bit incoherent at times, I don't know the development background but it plays like they ran into trouble towards the end and had to patch some bits together to get a product out the door. Powers are still fine, I ended up focusing on crows which function basically the same as bees in Bioshock 2 if not quite as overpowered. Biggest downgrade is how they handled the new weapon system, the unique upgrades which altered the weapon models in 1 and 2 are all replaced with generic +10% damage type modifiers. No more hauling around 10 weapons at once either, replaced with the more standard two at a time system with enemy drops.

If you've played the first two you might as well see where the series ended up. It still plays solidly enough if you can ignore the design missteps.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I was just browsing Steam and wandered into the (cosmetics only?) points shop and......what is a Steam startup movie? There's these cool game-based animations but I have no idea when you'd see them. When I open Steam which comes on when it logs into Windows?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Probably Steam Deck boot animations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Artelier posted:

So I was just browsing Steam and wandered into the (cosmetics only?) points shop and......what is a Steam startup movie? There's these cool game-based animations but I have no idea when you'd see them. When I open Steam which comes on when it logs into Windows?

This are for the steam deck when it boots

Bill Decker
Jan 5, 2020
They can be used as the startup movie for Big Picture mode on any device

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Infinite is so stripped down that it's more like a traditional FPS with some pointless overtures towards being an imsim.

The gameplay is alright but there's distressingly few opportunities to flex your full toolkit. It also commits the sin of making the gene tonic equivalent randomized so any given playthrough can range from extra awful to boringly overpowered on the whims of rng.

If you do end up playing it, DO NOT bother with the DLC. It's uncomfortably nasty and spiteful and gross, makes the single worst story beat of the main game even worse, and overall comes off like Ken Levine burning the franchise down and salting the earth so 2K couldn't take his baby.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Artelier posted:

Apparently you can set the startup video to anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/y3htzd/help_ive_set_my_boot_video_to_shrek_and_now_i/

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Artelier posted:

lmao that like the top one they're selling is Ranni the Witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I'm going to make my sale purchase... 2023 games only for goty discourse

Blasphemous 2
Backpack Hero
Chants of Sennaar