Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I finally have a mechanical failure at work that I remembered to capture on camera!

I work on commercial laundry equipment for a living right now. Not glamorous by any means, but it's steady work. The guy I work for owns 9 laundromats, and several of them are starting to show their age. I went to one today to collect money and fix any machines that were down and found one of the 25 pound washers down. I saw that the breaker was tripped, so I flipped it back on, and cranked the timer around to start the machine. It then let out the most godawful roaring/grinding noise while turning and promptly tripped the breaker again. At this point, I knew the bearings in the motor were smoked and the motor needed to come out to get rebuilt. What I didn't know was that the bad bearings caused it to pull waaaay too much current and do this to the high speed spin contactor

:catstare:

That was almost certainly a fire at some point this week, and I'm glad the whole store didn't burn to the goddamn ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FatCow posted:

The L in L-3 doesn't stand for Level btw. They have nothing to do with Level 3. Which is good because L3 is an unbelievably poo poo company.

They're probably responsible for the RC-135 fire I posted earlier.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Old, stubborn bikers, layerdans, and young kids who worship at their altars. Oh, and a lot of Harley riders.

What never fails to amuse me is why these people don't stop and question why there's a front brake on the bike if it's dangerous to use it? Just like the doubling up on condoms: if that was needed, then condoms would probably be twice as thick.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

bolind posted:

What never fails to amuse me is why these people don't stop and question why there's a front brake on the bike if it's dangerous to use it? Just like the doubling up on condoms: if that was needed, then condoms would probably be twice as thick.

Condoms are more like soft springs on a motorcycle. Completely eliminating every sensation of the ride other than the ups and downs.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

bandman posted:

What I didn't know was that the bad bearings caused it to pull waaaay too much current and do this to the high speed spin contactor

If it can do that, even in the case of a failure, doesn't that mean the contactor/cables are too small or the fuses/breakers too big?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

DocCynical posted:

I've seen the chocolate milk from engines, anyone ever seen Jell-o®?
http://gfycat.com/ImpishFarEyas
Came from the engine in a WhisperWatt diesel generator. The mechanics on site have never seen anything like it.

Came from where in the engine, oil pan?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ionn posted:

If it can do that, even in the case of a failure, doesn't that mean the contactor/cables are too small or the fuses/breakers too big?

Pretty much. Or the breaker trip curve selected was not suitable for the load being powered.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

No. 6 posted:

Came from where in the engine, oil pan?

Oil pan, apparently it was in some of the lines as well, not sure if it was fuel lines or what though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dexcool: not even once.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/why-i-love-dexcool-summed-up-in-one-picture/105084/page1/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I didn't realize those were water jackets at first.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Now they're fleece jackets.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

4.3 engine. Now I want to check the coolant in my van. :ohdear:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Send me hardware....

For reasons.
Our new dual Xeon single board computer is hot poo poo. We can't build them fast enough.

FatCow posted:

The L in L-3 doesn't stand for Level btw. They have nothing to do with Level 3. Which is good because L3 is an unbelievably poo poo company.
Oh. That's what I get for assuming things. I hope they keep buying expensive things from us though!

Godholio posted:

They're probably responsible for the RC-135 fire I posted earlier.
According to the report, yes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ionn posted:

Could have been a bad crimp on that connection too.

kastein posted:

Or the breaker trip curve selected was not suitable for the load being powered.

Though this is the most likely scenario. Laundromats are typically built by the cheapest bidder, using the cheapest stuff (except for the laundry equipment itself). Probably the same breakers you'd find in any light commercial setting, instead of selecting by trip curve.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

rainwulf posted:

Are you serious.. that there is a seriously human failure. Who the gently caress believes that...
Way too many riders. The same kind of rider who swear that helmets are dangerous because the added weight will break your neck in a crash, and ABS brakes are bad because if they stop working you can't brake. :downs:

They're also the same people who think that the best way to avoid hitting a sudden obstacle is to flick the handlebars to the side, hamfist the front brake and lowside on purpose. Thus the nickname Layer Dan. ("A dog ran out out in front of me and I had to lay 'er down")

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
The Audi smokes, a lot, and runs rough. Let's do a compression test, 0 on cyl #4. Oh well, I pull the head and find this:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

afen posted:

The Audi smokes, a lot, and runs rough. Let's do a compression test, 0 on cyl #4. Oh well, I pull the head and find this:

That crown looks brand new - manufacturing defect?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

afen posted:

Oh god those cylinder walls :gonk:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

One of my neighbors seems to have made a booboo.

I thought once the airbags deploy, the car's scrap. So why is this parked in front of our homes and not at the scrapyard by the airport?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

IPCRESS posted:

Only other time Ive seen that is from a blown head gasket that cleans out all the carbon. Im guessing this is the RS2 so maybe water/meth injection?

e: forgot a word

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BloodBag posted:

One of my neighbors seems to have made a booboo.

I thought once the airbags deploy, the car's scrap. So why is this parked in front of our homes and not at the scrapyard by the airport?

He drove it home whilst still drunk?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

spog posted:

He drove it home whilst still drunk?

I could imagine driven home while elderly. The couple that owns it look rather ancient. Maybe they had it flat-bedded here.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

bandman posted:

I finally have a mechanical failure at work that I remembered to capture on camera!

:catstare:

That was almost certainly a fire at some point this week, and I'm glad the whole store didn't burn to the goddamn ground.

This is also incredibly common when those bullshit female disconnects are loose. If it were an issue of the wire actually pulling too much current for its rating you'd see the wire damaged over the entire length.

What you are seeing there is the result of a poor connection (poor electrical connections generate heat) that eventually failed.

Running AC motors of almost any size off a female disconnect is an incredibly poor decision. If you've got a screw terminal, use it.
I understand the unit was factory wired but factory's do a lot of stupid wiring that'll get them just beyond the warranty period.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BloodBag posted:

Urban legend? Airbags are a replaceable part just like everything else on the car. As long as the frame isn't mangled beyond easy repair the car is fully rebuildable. Besides, the worst thing you can do during an insurance negotiation is start building up storage fees. The car is yours until you get a check, so it should be in your possession.

Like my V70, it got hit super light but the bags blew anyway. I got it back on the road within a month.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Looks like an Accord Crosstour, so my vote is "driving while elderly". My 65 year old father has one, and I believe that any Accord is the new old-person Buick. Large, poor sightlines, and much faster than it really needs to be.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

FatCow posted:

Their network went absolutely nanner-shits yesterday. Huge transit and routing issues.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BloodBag posted:

Even if it is a total, cars don't go straight to the scrapyard after an accident. If you can pay for it, you get it towed home. If you can't, it gets towed to either the police impound or the tow company's lot. Insurance has to do their thing before it heads to the junkyard.

BloodBag posted:

I could imagine driven home while elderly. The couple that owns it look rather ancient. Maybe they had it flat-bedded here.

Most likely answer, but that didn't make it into the driveway under its own power. Insurance will want to get their hands on it pretty soon, and will pay the storage fees once they take possession of it (they sometimes won't pay for any that accrue before they take possession), but for now at least they can get their belongings out of it.

Airbags aren't always a total, but the side curtain ones are insanely expensive. And there's a ton of damage under the sheet metal; the front subframe is likely toast, may have frame damage, plus all the bodywork.

TrinityOfDeath posted:

Looks like an Accord Crosstour, so my vote is "driving while elderly". My 65 year old father has one, and I believe that any Accord is the new old-person Buick. Large, poor sightlines, and much faster than it really needs to be.

My 68 year old dad just traded in his Acura RL for... a 2015 Accord. :stare: That has to be the cheapest car he's owned in 20+ years. Granted, it's the EX-L V6, and he DID try to find one with a manual transmission, but the only 6 speeds on the lot lacked navigation and/or leather (I don't get why he likes having navigation built into the car, especially when he rarely goes on road trips and he's lived in the same part of town since the 1970s), and he didn't want to wait for one built to order or to have one brought in from another dealer. When he does go out of town, he flies on Southwest, then rents the cheapest midsize sedan.

His excuse? "I got tired of the Acura, but the Accord felt better than the G37 sedan and other Acuras I test drove" (he used to have a G35 coupe several years ago.. followed by a Lexus, then a Prius, then an Acura.. he changes cars every 2-3 years). With what he makes, I'm honestly surprised he's not driving something a lot higher end; his suit collection is probably worth more than the car.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

some texas redneck posted:

His excuse? "I got tired of the Acura, but the Accord felt better than the G37 sedan and other Acuras I test drove" (he used to have a G35 coupe several years ago.. followed by a Lexus, then a Prius, then an Acura.. he changes cars every 2-3 years). With what he makes, I'm honestly surprised he's not driving something a lot higher end; his suit collection is probably worth more than the car.

This isn't all that weird. Wealthy people are more likely to buy luxury cars than less wealthy people, but the majority still drive "normal" cars. The wealthiest person I know still drives a mid-90s Cadillac and his wife drives a late 2000s Accord. Some people are just really practical and don't spend a lot of money just to have status symbols. Why buy something more expensive if you're just as happy with the cheaper option?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

He's generally driven upscale cars, but not super high end, just fully loaded models - think "loaded G35", "loaded Prius", "loaded Acuras", "loaded GS300", etc. I honestly can't even remember everything he's owned, just that I feel bad for whoever winds up with the cars, since he rarely bothers with even oil changes (even if the dealer throws in a few years of free maintenance).

He's not "super wealthy", but makes about 1/4M a year, and owns the first house built in his neighborhood (model home originally - originally a 3 bed/2 bath, now a 2 bed/2 bath/study, with HVAC in the garage), which dates back to the early 80s. Every time I visit I want to find whoever designed the garage and driveway and smack them really hard - it's a 2 car garage, with separate doors, on a sharp 90 degree driveway. The Prius threw me off so bad (not being able to see the hood, etc) that when I tried to back it out of the garage, I wound up driving across his front yard, the neighbor's driveway, and part of the neighbor's front yard (my Saturn did the same thing to me at first; I still have to lean way forward to parallel park it just so I can see the hood). The RL he just got rid of had multiple scrapes on the passenger side from trying to pull into/out of the garage, and my stepmom's Cadillac SUV (no idea what model, she had a beat to poo poo Lexus hybrid SUV last time I was out there) had multiple dents within a few days of purchase. She's in her early 50s, so it's not "too old to drive" in her case (I got in a car with her dad last time I was out there, he has no business on the road... 25-30 on a 50 mph road while looking at me talking the whole time, though he's also in his mid 90s).

I'd agree with you, except he buys a new car every 2-3 years, at most, and has been doing that for nearly 20 years now. I think the last time he bought a used car was when he bought his 1991 Probe V6, in 1992 - and it never saw a single oil change the entire time he owned it. IIRC he traded it in with about 50k, and it was belching huge clouds of blue smoke and couldn't pass emissions, and was telling a lot of knock knock jokes. I'm pretty sure that's the only used car he's purchased since the early 1980s - he's even owned not one, but two custom-ordered Mitsubishi Starions (oh god what I would give to have one of those today), both manual, both turbo, both talking.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 29, 2015

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Father is driving his Passat estate happily, when suddenly there's a load of warning lights. Anti-skid warning, handbrake warning, tire pressure warning, some other things. Clearly something in the ECU's gone. He takes it to the shop. The sensors in the rear wheel bearings are gone.

Can you just replace the sensors? Can you gently caress. Complete bearing change for two sensors. Existing bearings, of course, are fine. £600/$900+. loving VAG.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The actual sensors, or the tone rings on the hubs?

Either way that sounds like your average Volkswagen service appointment.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The actual sensors, or the tone rings on the hubs?

Either way that sounds like your average Volkswagen service appointment.

Dunno. He implied the sensors, but I wasn't at the shop with him.

And yes. I agree.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The air compressor I got for free wasn't making pressure, so I go to pull the head to check the reed valves and gasket.

Oh well. Now I've got a working 3HP AC motor to play around with.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have seen a wheel bearing so far gone that it caused the wheel speed sensor to rub on the tone ring, which trashed them both. It was impressive because driving the car it didn't feel or sound different but then up in the air there was a scary amount of play.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

IPCRESS posted:

I really don't know. Both the A/F ratio and exhaust temperature was ok right before it happened. Looks almost like a piece of the piston has broken of, but the walls looks to be heat damaged as well. Also, my turbo has a lot of play in the wheels now.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Got it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jeherrin posted:

Father is driving his Passat estate happily, when suddenly there's a load of warning lights. Anti-skid warning, handbrake warning, tire pressure warning, some other things. Clearly something in the ECU's gone. He takes it to the shop. The sensors in the rear wheel bearings are gone.

Can you just replace the sensors? Can you gently caress. Complete bearing change for two sensors. Existing bearings, of course, are fine. £600/$900+. loving VAG.

Subaru does this with tone ring sensors. loving bullshit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had sensors go out on the wife's Yaris last year, same thing but we had to get new bearings because the rustbelt had done its job and the old ones were corroded and got mangled coming off.

Yay salt. :buddy:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nm posted:

Subaru does this with tone ring sensors. loving bullshit.

Eh? On my 2002 at least, you could easily get the sensor out from the back. The tone ring itself, yeah, that requires the hub to be pulled out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bull3964 posted:

Eh? On my 2002 at least, you could easily get the sensor out from the back. The tone ring itself, yeah, that requires the hub to be pulled out

I just mean tone ring (I'm not sure why I wrote "sensors."
The only time I replaced my rear wheel bearings was for the drivers rear tone ring. Meanwhile, I've lost count of my front wheel bearing replacements. So of course subaru did a warranty extension on the rears only.

Subaru also said that the tone ring wasn't covered by the warramty extension, so gently caress you subaru.