Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's a book from a few years back where Korra basically recaps the whole show because without an Avatar cycle there needs to be something for future Avatars to seek advice. It's kinda cool seeing Korra awkwardly apologize to the future Avatars fairly often. But for the most part it's just an artbook
https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Korra...683833937&psc=1

There's also one "by" Aang and another by Iroh. The latter is more about the lore of the fire nation, and it has a really cool gimmick like three fourths of the way through you're getting Iroh's final words as his body is giving out... then he was able to just abandon his body and go to the spirit world, so he can keep writing the book.

If the Avatar shows didn't already have excellent artbooks, I'd recommend these in a heartbeat, but since you'd probably get way more out of the original artbooks, you're probably best off Finding these and flipping through to see the character notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://youtu.be/Zhw8iOM3s-I

Legend of Gengi just announced their release date of 4/16/21. It's an Avatar fan project sequel that Avatar actually ripped off for the premise of the Kyoshi novels.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Covok posted:

https://youtu.be/Zhw8iOM3s-I

Legend of Gengi just announced their release date of 4/16/21. It's an Avatar fan project sequel that Avatar actually ripped off for the premise of the Kyoshi novels.

Oh yeah, that does sound a lot like the start of the Kyoshi novel.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm in the middle of watching season 2 of Green Eggs and Ham, and while the show is never outrageously funny, it's a nice, comfortable watch overall with some fun visuals and amusing gags. It also manages to hit pretty hard when it gets emotional, like in season 2 where Sam and his mother (Pam-I-Am) are on a deserted island in the equivalent of the bermuda triangle, and due to how the jungle works (the deeper you go the younger you get) as they escape it and go back out, Pam basically gets to live through every formative experience that she missed in Sam's life, from his first word to him learning to ride a bike. It was a genuinely sweet moment that worked for me, got me a bit bleary-eyed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Oh yeah, that does sound a lot like the start of the Kyoshi novel.

To be fair, Legend of Gengji dropped with this idea years before the Kyoshi novels were announced.

Eforce
Nov 17, 2012

A rather big bag
Has anyone here been watching Craig of the Creek? I randomly watched it on HBO Max and I've been shocked with how good it is given that I don't hear people talk about it much. This is probably a terrible description of it, but for some reason it feels like Steven Universe mixed with Codename: Kids Next Door.

I just caught up to the newest episodes that are being released now, and some of the latest episodes have been so good. They've been heavily implying one of the main characters, Kelsey, is gay but they actually had her ask another character out in the cutest way: through their combined love of books. And the episode right after that was a fun parody of JRPGs/Legend of Zelda and they called it Chrono Moss.

This show slaps, don't miss on it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's extremely good but it's one of those sites that doesn't generate that much discussion because it's so good while not having some overarching plot or speculation hooks like Phineas and Ferb

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finished watching Green Eggs and Ham season 2 the other day. While there were some aspects that were a little frustrating they were understandable given the characters, like that Guy fell for the propaganda of the Berlin Wall situation so severely - he's never seen that kind of thing before, so I can understand why he'd fall for it despite being generally portrayed as one of the smarter characters as he has no defense for that kind of marketing. He's never seen that kind of thing, so doesn't know to be careful of it. Also it's clear that he DOES listen to EB after his initial overreaction, it's just that he feels that he has to fake being in lockstep with the others to preserve his job and his status so that he can provide, even if it takes a while for him to make that transition.

Pros were that it had an amazing bookend joke that I didn't see coming, a lot of the spy jokes were very cute in how they seussified Spy tropes and Sam and his mother's relationship was interesting to watch unfold.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Eforce posted:

Has anyone here been watching Craig of the Creek? I randomly watched it on HBO Max and I've been shocked with how good it is given that I don't hear people talk about it much. This is probably a terrible description of it, but for some reason it feels like Steven Universe mixed with Codename: Kids Next Door.

I just caught up to the newest episodes that are being released now, and some of the latest episodes have been so good. They've been heavily implying one of the main characters, Kelsey, is gay but they actually had her ask another character out in the cutest way: through their combined love of books. And the episode right after that was a fun parody of JRPGs/Legend of Zelda and they called it Chrono Moss.

This show slaps, don't miss on it.

Yeah Craig is pretty great and one of the only shows all my kids will watch without complaint. The representation seems pretty legit, and stands in pretty sharp contrast to Disney's recent struggles.

The main Craig question is this: Who is your favorite character, and why is it Cannonball?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

C of the C is a fun show, but I just kinda fell behind on it at some point and never caught back up. Kelsey is a really fun character.

This is one of my favorite bits.

Eforce
Nov 17, 2012

A rather big bag
Craig of the Creek is mostly one-off episodes, but I do like how it has an ongoing story. The show really hooked me after it alluded to "the other side". That whole story mostly wrapped up at the end of season 3, but there's clearly more of the creeks history to learn about.

Cannonball is definitely great. All of the characters are pretty great though, it's one of the reasons I've been enjoying it so much.

All of the references to random games/anime have been fun to see. You can tell the people making it love to expand on their universes sonic, slide the ferret. Everytime slide pops up makes me smile.

https://youtu.be/q54Fo_-TGpY

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Now's a good time to watch this ep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSPOBqumjps

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unless you're America cause the video isn't available here. :smith:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Are You Afraid of the Dark? "The Tale of Station 109.1" November 4, 1995

Guest stars : Ryan Gosling as Jamie and Gilbert Gottfried as DJ Roy.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 14, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/nc_disneyplus/status/1514015505530580993?s=21&t=35c6Zi9if5XDHzi0uAykrw

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

am i the only one that would want a new avatar related show to be set before the events of TLA rather than after korra? while i'm not opposed to the idea of a modern day avatar or even a futuristic one, i feel the bending and all the spiritual important would kind of clash with advanced technology.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mr Interweb posted:

am i the only one that would want a new avatar related show to be set before the events of TLA rather than after korra? while i'm not opposed to the idea of a modern day avatar or even a futuristic one, i feel the bending and all the spiritual important would kind of clash with advanced technology.

Not a fan of Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty huh

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
9 times out of 10 I'll prefer a modern/futuristic setting, but the world of ATLA is pretty cool so I'm okay either way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A possibly interesting prequel idea could be a series about the second Avatar after Wan (basically how they dealt with things in a world where the normal system hadn’t really been established yet).

I’d also take an animated adaption of the Kyoshi novel

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 15, 2022

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I want an anthology series where each episode is a story in a different time and place in the history of the Avatar universe, usually (but not always) starring its respective Avatar.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"I Got Yer Can" is an incredible Slappy the Squirrel short -- she tries to throw away an empty soda can in a neighbor's recycling bin while on a walk and the neighbor tries to make her take it out and take it back to her own trash can, in this great "HOA neighbor" voice, then there's a time lapse from spring to fall to winter and she's blowing up at Santa because she expects him to be delivering the same empty can

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Agreed. To me at least, Korra took a lot of the fun and mystique out of bending as a whole. Almost like that old "sufficiently advanced technology" thing. Like, bending lightning or metal bending used to be this amazingly special thing in TLA and then by Korra's time they've just got firebenders firing lightning all day to run the power plant like a boring rear end construction gig and all the cops can use metalbending.

And I know it's really cynical but I think about stuff further down the road leading up to modern technology and bending becomes more and more irrelevant and plain. Like poo poo if I woke up tomorrow and could firebend I'd be pumped for a while before wondering what the hell the practical use of that is if I don't want to become a supervillain (the only one I can think of is attempting to fire it at the ground to fly but I think that's not really possible given how firebending is shown in Avatar) and settle on "install a fireplace to eliminate my heating bill in the winter"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Agreed. To me at least, Korra took a lot of the fun and mystique out of bending as a whole. Almost like that old "sufficiently advanced technology" thing. Like, bending lightning or metal bending used to be this amazingly special thing in TLA and then by Korra's time they've just got firebenders firing lightning all day to run the power plant like a boring rear end construction gig and all the cops can use metalbending.

And I know it's really cynical but I think about stuff further down the road leading up to modern technology and bending becomes more and more irrelevant and plain. Like poo poo if I woke up tomorrow and could firebend I'd be pumped for a while before wondering what the hell the practical use of that is if I don't want to become a supervillain (the only one I can think of is attempting to fire it at the ground to fly but I think that's not really possible given how firebending is shown in Avatar) and settle on "install a fireplace to eliminate my heating bill in the winter"

Open flames are really bad for your respiratory health, so that's probably a bad idea too. But installing a steam engine to convert the heat from fire directly into energy might be moderately more efficient than paying your electricity bill, so that's exciting!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TwoPair posted:

(the only one I can think of is attempting to fire it at the ground to fly but I think that's not really possible given how firebending is shown in Avatar)

Ozai definitely did this. Probably Azula too. Which I guess isn't very helpful wrt not becoming a supervillain. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Firebending is specifically one of the reasons the Fire Nation industrialised so early iirc. And I mean, think of all the uses that fire has and imagine being able to summon it on a whim. It does come up even in-universe that compared to other styles of bending, it certainly has fewer uses that aren't weaponising it, but that's only by comparison.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I imagine that in the far future, bending has evolved to such specific niches (siliconbending, plasticbending, etc) that the whole idea of 4 elements has been lost, and something something Avatars losing relevance to the world.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I prefer stories that don't revolve a chosen one forged by cosmic forces, and if they want to make the franchise bloom into something larger, they should try their hand on telling stories that don't need to center on the one and only Avatar. Mastering all four elements and discovering spiritual enlightenment might get repetitive as a plot anyways.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

They should make one where the main character is a completely normal guy. Not even a bender. And for some reason he's got to defeat the current Avatar. Maybe the Avatar went evil or something I dunno.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Or at the very least make the current Avatar more of a supporting character while the actual protagonist is a non bender that gets swept up in it all and ultimately winds up becoming a hero in their own right

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Larryb posted:

Or at the very least make the current Avatar more of a supporting character while the actual protagonist is a non bender that gets swept up in it all and ultimately winds up becoming a hero in their own right

They already made a show about Sokka???

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

They already made a show about Sokka???

That idea is basically ATLA if Sokka was the main character I’ll admit but it could be interesting nonetheless (the Avatar being the villain of the story as suggested could also work)

Either way I’m all for shaking up the formula a bit for the next installment

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Have them do a seemingly at first completely unrelated Mecha series until we find out during the first season's finale that one of the supporting cast members has been the current Avatar undercover for one reason or another to the shock of both the audience and the non bending pilot main character

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

what if the avatar had a freaking gun

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Have them do a seemingly at first completely unrelated Mecha series until we find out during the first season's finale that one of the supporting cast members has been the current Avatar undercover for one reason or another to the shock of both the audience and the non bending pilot main character

Maybe said Avatar has no interest in the job and really wants to pursue some other passion instead, essentially turning it into a show about carving out your own destiny with the non bending protagonist ultimately being the one who saves the world in the end

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Avatar where they meet an alien race with an entirely different set of four elements they can bend.

edit: and are tall blue cat things. If both avatars are combined no one can get confused anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Avatar was perfectly fine as one self contained story. Just do something else, dammit, with the worldbuilding and martial arts superpowers and funny characters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

sold, 6 seasons and a movie. Book 1: Metallurgy, Book 2: Gunpowder, Book 3: Target Practice, Book 4: ...um, maybe learning metalbending good enough to make actual target practice irrelevant?, Book 5: ???, Book 6: Profit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

kidcoelacanth posted:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The way Korra expanded on the idea of bending being part of life and fundamental building block of society and technology was the best part. Metalbending was discovered, shared, and found new applications, and seeing how that all played out was way cooler than awkward romance plotlines.

I want to see how bending affects a cyberpunk society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Abuse metalbending to rip someone's neodymium implants out