Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think they caught a rare image of an oven making a break for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Must be one of those new speed ovens I keep hearing about

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think they caught a rare image of an oven making a break for it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tub heated by bitcoin miner

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Tub heated by bitcoin miner

I'm sure this makes perfect economic sense... if someone else is paying the utility bills.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/9k8ykp/heating-water-with-bitcoin-mining-asic-reddit

spoiler: it got too hot to use safely

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Probably like 9 ft

:golfclap:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I was looking at houses to rent on Craigslist and I found this. There's obviously something weird going on with the picture itself (look at the sink) but this is such a weird bathroom shape.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I was looking at houses to rent on Craigslist and I found this. There's obviously something weird going on with the picture itself (look at the sink) but this is such a weird bathroom shape.

I feel like the picture has been skewed to exaggerate the space in this room.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That room folds up into just two dimensions when you aren't using it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

That room folds up into just two dimensions when you aren't using it.

Why should we pay for a dimension we're not going to use?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jaded Burnout posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFT1pxHmSWA

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:thejoke:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The first apartment we had was in a converted attic, the bathroom was added later in the houses history. The shower and tub were put in and the ceiling was slanted at about 45 degrees, if you reached to far forward you'd hit your head. Really wish I had pictures.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

How long before someone in a colder climate uses a mining rig for their furnace?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Nah, electric heat is super inefficient. :v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Also generally you run a furnace only when it is cold and stop running it when your living space has reached a comfortable temperature.

Compare to shitcoin mining rigs, which you run full blast until the parts burn out or your house burns down or you die of heat stroke or your parents kick you out or the utility company notices you're stealing enough power for five grow-ops and cuts your poo poo off.

So clearly the solution is to use a mining rig as a furnace and keep the temperature down to a comfortable level with a massively oversized air conditioner! :v:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Nah, electric heat is super inefficient. :v:

During the days of $100 a barrel oil, developers from around the country came to western North Dakota to build apartments. You had developers who didn’t know about drain tile, ones that used electric heat within miles of natural gas processing plants, and of course ones that didn’t include plug-ins for engine block heaters in the parking lots.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

xergm posted:

How long before someone in a colder climate uses a mining rig for their furnace?

like -6 years? The buttcoiners used to have great ideas like "let's package rigs up like electric space heaters and give them to normies for free in return for the mining output."

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hailthefish posted:

Also generally you run a furnace only when it is cold and stop running it when your living space has reached a comfortable temperature.

Compare to shitcoin mining rigs, which you run full blast until the parts burn out or your house burns down or you die of heat stroke or your parents kick you out or the utility company notices you're stealing enough power for five grow-ops and cuts your poo poo off.

So clearly the solution is to use a mining rig as a furnace and keep the temperature down to a comfortable level with a massively oversized air conditioner! :v:

So it's more of a heat the water for a 10 story apartment complex rig?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Probably a good time to post this

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/mining-rig-megapost/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

xergm posted:

Some dude already gave himself brain damage from heatstroke thanks to his miners.

http://www.belial.pt/permanent-brain-damage-from-bitcoin-mining

quote:

“Hi, I’m the person who posted that message. I originally posted it on 4chan’s technology board (/g/), though apparently someone took a screenshot and it’s been reposted quite a lot on other sites. I don’t feel like doing an interview, but here are some more details in case you’re wondering: I started Bitcoin mining quite a while ago. I already had a decent build with 2 5850s in crossfire that I used for gaming. After mining for a while, I earned enough money to buy more mining hardware from Newegg and Amazon. In the end, I had a total of 4 PCs with 2 5850s in each of them, except for 1 of them, which had 3 5850s. I won’t bother listing all the specs, since they’re nothing special aside from the 5850s. I overclocked the core clocks of the 5850s to squeeze a little more performance out of them, and underclocked the video ram in order to reduce heat. I had them running at 100% fan speed to try and cool them off a little better, but they still got pretty hot anyway. I’m a freshman in college and unfortunately still live with my parents (living in a dorm is too expensive), so I don’t really have any other place to put my PCs except in my own room. So I kept all 4 machines in my bedroom, which is not very big. So they were pretty close to my bed.My parents’ house doesn’t have central heating/AC, but instead we have window AC units that we install in the summer, and space heaters for the winter.

However, I procrastinated and didn’t install the AC unit in my room because it wasn’t too hot yet. They are big, bulky, and heavy, so I didn’t want to do it until I absolutely had to. But, being the summer, it did eventually get hotter. Faster than I had anticipated.One day, when I was sleeping (yes, I sometimes sleep in the day due to being up very late at night/early in the morning), it got very hot. And I still didn’t have the AC unit installed in my room, and my 4 mining rigs were still mining bitcoins (I left them on 24/7), generating lots of heat. It was extremely hot. I eventually woke up due to the heat, but it was already too late. I had a terrible heat stroke, and it was quite frightening and disorienting. I not only felt physically terrible, having trouble breathing and terrible nausea, but I was also mentally and emotionally confused and saw all sorts of unpleasant hallucinations (but after doing some googling, apparently that’s normal for people who have heat strokes).

I eventually staggered out of my room, which took quite a lot of effort, and my parents saw that I wasn’t doing too well and then realized I needed medical attention. They rushed me to the ER, and at this point I was barely conscious so I don’t remember everything, but they put bags of ice on me and made me drink tons of liquids. I have no idea how long it lasted, because every second felt like an hour. It was terrible. After I was in a stable condition, they did some general check-up stuff to make sure that I didn’t have any organ damage or something, and I told them that my head felt awful, so they did either a CT scan or MRI scan (I forget which is which, but it was some scan or another of my head), and said I basically had minor brain damage (they used a fancier term for it, but I forgot exactly what it was… but it was basically just minor permanent brain damage). I don’t notice much of a difference in my ability to think… it’s not as if I’m mentally retarded or anything now, but even so, no brain damage is good.

I eventually went back home and rested up for a while. My parents installed the AC unit in my room before I went back in. I just slept and drank lots of water for a couple days. I had mostly recovered from the heat stroke, but my body was still dehydrated, so I needed to rest and drink more fluids. And during this time, I turned off all of my PCs. Only the AC was running in my room.I am aware that this was all my fault and that it could have prevented it, but it’s too late to change anything now. And after all this, I am no longer going to do any bitcoin mining. I will probably sell my mining rigs, or maybe find some other purpose for them. But they definitely won’t be on at full load 24/7 like I used to have them, even though I have a good AC unit in my room.And despite this whole situation being rather lovely, I still feel pretty drat lucky. Heat strokes can be fatal if they aren’t treated quickly enough. But fortunately for me, I was able to get treated in time. A little brain damage is still better than death, after all. It still sucks, but it also could’ve been worse.In conclusion, if you are mining bitcoins, or plan on mining bitcoins, make sure that your hardware doesn’t get too hot, and if you’re like me and have your hardware in your bedroom, definitely make sure you have AC! Don’t repeat the same mistakes I made. Even if it only feels a little more warm than usual, you never know if the weather will get worse.”

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Can we really be sure the brain damage wasn't already there though

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Know what it was gonna be before I clicked.

(God bless that guy for recording landscape video on a phone.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I’ve made uglier things than some of these.

The difference is that I wasn’t proud of them. Also, they served better purposes than Bitcoin.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

I'm sure this makes perfect economic sense... if someone else is paying the utility bills.

If any of your utilities are free, you can take extreme advantage if you *really* want to (water wheel generator, gas powered generator, electric condensers and pumps).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

baquerd posted:

If any of your utilities are free, you can take extreme advantage if you *really* want to (water wheel generator, gas powered generator, electric condensers and pumps).

Eh, the water one even isn't that great. Faucet power seems to be from 2-200 watts or so.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/91/

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dillbag posted:

Like this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3346097

Thread picture links are dead, but fortunately there are websites like the Internet Wayback Machine!

than

e. vvv :hfive:

thank you billza i had completely forgotten aobut this and now i am laughing again hahaha

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Speaking of Escherhaus...

(Found on fb)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Dazzle camo is a thing, and that room is a perfect example.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

What woman doesn't dream of applying makeup with her face lit exclusively from one side?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Icon Of Sin posted:

Speaking of Escherhaus...

(Found on fb)

Pretty sure it has been posted here before. I love it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Looks like a nagel abstract

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ebola Dog posted:

Other people have already said to get other quotes, but if you have the time an easy way to save a bit of money is to remove the tiles yourself.
Yeah, half contemplating this so I can add terrible project pictures to the thread.
After some bored investigation, orange paint stripper will melt the contact adhesive right off the wall. Unfortunately my vacation is just about up so I'm not feeling leaving a half-worked bathroom for my pregnant wife to use. Maybe in time for Christmas...

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Multiple bathrooms I get. Multiple kitchens, though :wtf:...

On one side of my family, multiple kitchens with just one bathroom was the norm. They came from Croatia at the end of WWII. Apparently, it was normal to have a second kitchen called the "Summer kitchen". When they came to the states, they ended up buying half built houses and lived in the basement as the upstairs were just stick built and covered in tar paper. They put kitchens in their basements and, later on, put kitchens upstairs once they had the money to finish the houses. My great grandparents, grandparents, and great aunt and uncle all lived next to each other in a row. All had two kitchens. Not big houses, just always two kitchens.

It's actually super handy to have two kitchens when you're baking a lot for church functions.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That seems like it would be pretty handy even for just a large family, and duplicating all the big appliances wouldn't cost that much on the scale of building an entire house.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Javid posted:

That seems like it would be pretty handy even for just a large family, and duplicating all the big appliances wouldn't cost that much on the scale of building an entire house.

Eh. Without a ridiculously huge family, I can't really see that being overly useful in most cases. If you're building the entire thing in one go, I feel like most people would be better off just going for a single large kitchen with a cooktop and a double wall oven or something similar.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
That is just a whole mess of nope.