Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a pretty repetitive game and I did not like it all that much, but at three dollars you really can't go wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blockhouse posted:

Resident Evil, a franchise notorious for being full of lengthy games that you play once and never again.

I absolutely don't believe that how long a game is in any way equates to it's overall value, especially games like RE3R (and most REs, honestly) that encourage multiple playthroughs on different difficulties.

Length aside, REmake3 has such little content and polish compared to what we got with REmake2 that $30 is waaaay too much for it. There's no exploration to be done, less environments to go through, giant sections of the original are just cut, the boss fights are terrible and the ending is a yet another lab setting that's been done to death in RE and is taken straight from RE2. I think the game only has 3 puzzles which, come on. There's also very little reason to replay it since the unlocks are pretty dull and the game doesn't change at all save for in the last two modes were enemies and item placement change but not enough to feel like a B game. There's not even any bonus modes.

Also Resistance is terrible so that doesn't count as part of the package.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, that's really the other problem: even without taking into account how short it is, it just isn't as good of a remake as RE2make to begin with. It deviates from the original far more heavily than RE2make deviated from RE2, and in ways that generally make it worse rather than better.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I was fine with them reimagining Claire as Jennifer Lawrence, but Jill suddenly being Milla Jovovich is messing with my head.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Cardiovorax posted:

Then you have bad opinions. Resident Evil 3 is not worth twenty dollars per hour of game it gets you.

Hey can you chill the gently caress out please.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would be fine with saying RE3 was good if it didn't cut out massive sections of the game but it did, so i can't like it.

The resistance mode has been fun to watch on youtube while on my lunch breaks though, i'll give it that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

Hey can you chill the gently caress out please.
Sure, but could you please also pop in and say something like that the next time Orv goes 'cardiovorax, shut up and stop having opinions' at me?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 22, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I blocked Cardio so I have no idea what's going on in this thread, which is probably for the best.

Given the success of the RE Engine in both Resident Evil and Devil May Cry I keep hearing of people baying for the return of "Dino Crisis". It looks like RE but with Dinosaurs. Does it hold up? Does it have future potential?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How come nobody is making good horror games.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

How come nobody is making good horror games.

the world outside is the ultimate horror game and game devs are scared they can't live up to it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've said so before, but I think it really has something to do with the generally low standards of horror genre fans. When people are willing to buy basically anything so long as it has horror written on it, why bother making good ones when making good horror is actually really hard?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

I've said so before, but I think it really has something to do with the generally low standards of horror genre fans. When people are willing to buy basically anything so long as it has horror written on it, why bother making good ones when making good horror is actually really hard?

Same issue with horror movies I suppose.

But yeah it is weird to me that people will put at least the effort to learn how to put stuff together in Unity and then poo poo out whatever. I'd be embarrassed if I did that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I don't really get it either. I'm a bit of creative writing nerd, but I've never published anything myself because I don't think I could pull it off to my own standards and I'd be embarrassed to try. Some of the poo poo people put out without a second thought never fails to baffle me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

True enough. Sooner or later I'll just have to man up and take the risk, I guess.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What'd be one of your ideal horror game?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Bloodborne already exists.

That aside I've been tinkering with Unity for awhile but I'm like Cardiovorax where no matter what I was working on I'd just think this is trash and never carry it to the finish line so those Slender Man trash game makers have that up on me.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Something at the back of my head was a "Fahrenheit, but without David Cage" where the reason the protagonist is made a murderer was due to an aggressive memetic virus that spreads through specific types of communication (not limited to only digital broadcasts), and you experience the game through the eyes of different characters incl the idiot everyman protag, a rookie police detective dealing with her whole squad dead, and a random older man living in a small rural town caring for his ailing spouse and having to deal with them going insane. No "your lips are so cold, I love you" or the internet being the villain or a guy whose theme music is 70s disco doing kung fu fighting with a Chinese store keeper. But I'd totally keep in the interaction where not kissing your girlfriend good bye would get you a game over lol

Also I think the game in my head should require some huge swathes of revisions in light of how America is responding to Covid-19.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 22, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A modern PS2 style Silent Hill

For me 2 & 3 were the perfect horror games: protagonists caught up in an unfathomable malicious realms, tension and horror without an overabundance of jump scares or becoming helplessness sims, extremely good visual design and strong unconventional stories. I've never played anything again which aligned with my tastes so strongly, miss Team Silent every day :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't really say I have an ideal horror game, personally, just preferences. To me, one of the big draws of horror as a genre has always been that it's not really a genre of game, it's a genre of theme and mood. That means a lot of different and unusual formats can work well with it, which allows for a lot of creative freedom. It's one of the best things about it: if creators really want to, they can keep it endlessly fresh.

The spookiest game I think I've ever personally played is Fatal Frame 2, though, so I guess I can say that this format just works really well for me. The third-person perspective with limited camera angles is exceptionally good at allowing game designers to frame a scene in exactly the right way to get the most out of it visually, which gives it a sense of place and 'there-ness' that I never quite get from games with dynamic camera angles. Coupled with the great mood and design, it just makes for an intense experience.

e: oh, and one thing that really gets to me is loneliness. Any game where interact freely with NPCs just doesn't resonate with me the same way, so something like The Saddest Rhino's idea just hasn't got much appeal to me at all. Well, not as horror anyway. "Fahrenheit but not bad" would make for a fun general adventure game.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 22, 2020

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
waiting for a dark night driving simulator

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

There totally is something like that, I saw it on Mr. Kravin's channel once. You're driving through rural America and then you pass a house and a car just starts following you and chasing you down. I can't remember the title of it for the life of me, but maybe someone else remembers it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tired Moritz posted:

Cardiovorax posted:

There totally is something like that, I saw it on Mr. Kravin's channel once. You're driving through rural America and then you pass a house and a car just starts following you and chasing you down. I can't remember the title of it for the life of me, but maybe someone else remembers it.

Beware
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTCZPgXXXIU

Unfortunately the dev seems to be down the rabbithole of obscure secrets and eastern european references rather than polishing/structuring it as a full fledged game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's the one, thanks Discendo.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Honestly anything that isn't "unity game walking around gathering X number of Y" would be awesome. Jesus there are so many of them and not a one of them is worth a dollar.

My dream game that no one will ever make is basically first person Darkwood with a splash of rust world Silent Hill.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOaBNkVDjeg

Beware already exists.

Personally, I couldn't say what the perfect horror game would be, just list off a bunch of things I really like which would probably all work horribly together.

* The story should be personal
* Things being unknown or unexplained is ok!
* Combat should not be the focus, but should also not be absent
* The atmosphere should be unsettling, it should just feel "off", not over the top "WELL I GUESS YOU'RE IN HELL NOW"

I'm basically describing Silent Hill 2, but also:

* Should not be a rip off of Silent Hill 2

Edit: gently caress, beaten on Beware

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I blocked Cardio so I have no idea what's going on in this thread, which is probably for the best.

Given the success of the RE Engine in both Resident Evil and Devil May Cry I keep hearing of people baying for the return of "Dino Crisis". It looks like RE but with Dinosaurs. Does it hold up? Does it have future potential?

I would pay full price day 1 for a Dino Crisis 2 remake. It's basically the perfect action game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Resident Evil but with dinosaurs" is basically exactly what Dino Crisis is, so there's as much potential there as people have interest in dinosaurs. The gameplay formula itself is more than proven to work well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

My heart of hearts says not really. It's like original PS1 Resident Evil 3 in play style but because they went with fully 3D environments with no Silent Hill fog they can realistically only have one or two enemies on screen at a time. And you're thinking "well, they're dinosaurs they're fast and agile" but surprisingly a raptor is far less threatening than a zombie and there are laser barriers everywhere you can turn on to safely block them.

Dino Crisis 2 goes full arcade shooter and it is legit awesome. They go back to pre-rendered graphics allowing multiple enemies on screen and side-by-side with Parasite Eve 2 it's like the prettiest game on the Playstation but unlike PE2 it's intense and fun. Hell, I'd call Dino Crisis 2 the "Resident Evil 4" of its time.

Something like Thief meets Dark Corners of the Earth. Give me large, explorable but self contained levels with a strong core theme. Dark, solemn, heavily stealth based. Gloomwood is very much shaping up to be Resident Evil Thief but I think the creator is less interested in scaring people than he is providing a general gothic atmosphere which is totally what Thief did but my ideal is a game where enemies can't be taken out with a single club to the head. You're collapsing passages, barricading doors, sort of a Amnesia + Thief? That would be perfect.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bloodborne already exists.

That aside I've been tinkering with Unity for awhile but I'm like Cardiovorax where no matter what I was working on I'd just think this is trash and never carry it to the finish line so those Slender Man trash game makers have that up on me.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I don't really get it either. I'm a bit of creative writing nerd, but I've never published anything myself because I don't think I could pull it off to my own standards and I'd be embarrassed to try. Some of the poo poo people put out without a second thought never fails to baffle me.

Your inhibition prevents you from making the next big thing. Five Nights at Freddy's was the spiteful effort of a 40yo man working at Dollar General because everybody told him his safe Christian art was horrifying. Dusk's Dave Szymanski made a bunch of Unity horror walking sims while slowly hammering away at the game that kickstarted the retro revival in FPS games (and because of his experience with horror, some of Dusk's levels are more intense than most dedicated horror games).

Here, I made a game. It's an adaption of a Lovecraft story in the style of King's Field.

https://twitter.com/jaybee_tyn/status/1300448046044585984

I work a full time job so ya'll have no excuse. All of Unity's extensive tutorials on Unity Learn are free forever, or grab Twine or Game Maker or something. Make a game, write a story, draw some spooky pictures, make a zine, submit to a journal, make something cowards!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think the problem with horror is that its incredibly subjective. I look dark brooding horror that makes me contemplate my surroundings and environment. My girlfriend likes lovely jump scares.

Both are horror. I can't really tell my girlfriend she's wrong for liking lovely jump scares and they are incredibly profitable.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

dogstile posted:

I think the problem with horror is that its incredibly subjective. I look dark brooding horror that makes me contemplate my surroundings and environment. My girlfriend likes lovely jump scares.

Both are horror. I can't really tell my girlfriend she's wrong for liking lovely jump scares and they are incredibly profitable.

It's one of the many similarities between comedy and horror.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

al-azad posted:

I work a full time job so ya'll have no excuse. All of Unity's extensive tutorials on Unity Learn are free forever, or grab Twine or Game Maker or something. Make a game, write a story, draw some spooky pictures, make a zine, submit to a journal, make something cowards!

I work a full time job and have a kid and even I'm trying to do poo poo too, also I've released 3 albums over the past year and am working on a game too, listen to al-azad, don't be a loving coward!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Every October is #devtober, there's a haunted PS1 jam that will be announced, and I think next month is also another fishing horror jam. I want every goon with an idea to make something.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lifeglug posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOaBNkVDjeg

Beware already exists.

Personally, I couldn't say what the perfect horror game would be, just list off a bunch of things I really like which would probably all work horribly together.

* The story should be personal
* Things being unknown or unexplained is ok!
* Combat should not be the focus, but should also not be absent
* The atmosphere should be unsettling, it should just feel "off", not over the top "WELL I GUESS YOU'RE IN HELL NOW"

I'm basically describing Silent Hill 2, but also:

* Should not be a rip off of Silent Hill 2

Edit: gently caress, beaten on Beware

You forgot: "The twist shouldn't be that you're insane and were the killer all along" because jesus christ so many games use that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

Your inhibition prevents you from making the next big thing. Five Nights at Freddy's was the spiteful effort of a 40yo man working at Dollar General because everybody told him his safe Christian art was horrifying. Dusk's Dave Szymanski made a bunch of Unity horror walking sims while slowly hammering away at the game that kickstarted the retro revival in FPS games (and because of his experience with horror, some of Dusk's levels are more intense than most dedicated horror games).
That's fair, although I feel I have to point out that I've never wanted to make the next big thing. :v: I already have a career in a field I love quite dearly and care about much more than I've ever cared about writing, which I never intended to treat as anything more than the hobby it is. Even if I could make it big as a writer, my heart wouldn't really be in it.

To anyone who wants to make a career out of the creative field, this is excellent advice, though.

Blockhouse posted:

It's one of the many similarities between comedy and horror.
I was about to say. Horror and comedy are both things that look simple, but are actually really nuanced and pull to pull off well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dienes posted:

You forgot: "The twist shouldn't be that you're insane and were the killer all along" because jesus christ so many games use that.

I would love to see a horror game that somehow treats mental illness well. Not equating mental illness with danger to others or as a primary source of weakness, for example.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Morpheus posted:

I would love to see a horror game that somehow treats mental illness well. Not equating mental illness with danger to others or as a primary source of weakness, for example.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Not really a straight horror game though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exquisite tea posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Not really a straight horror game though.

Oh, right - yeah that game was pretty great.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Dienes posted:

I mean, Silent Hill 2 did the "you were the killer all along" part and that was handled pretty well so I'll let that pass if it's not loving awful.

But yeah, I would absolutely like to see more games treating mental illness like Hellblade, less like, uh, I dunno, every loving $1 bargain bin piece of poo poo on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lifeglug posted:

I mean, Silent Hill 2 did the "you were the killer all along" part and that was handled pretty well so I'll let that pass if it's not loving awful.
SH2 is more or less the game that started the big trend, because it's so widely beloved and players were so amazed by the ending twist. People have since forgotten that it's not a twist if you can see it coming from a mile away.