Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Isn't the setting of Nier our world in a post apocalyptic future after the final boss of a JRPG game came in through a portal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The MSJ posted:

Isn't the setting of Nier our world in a post apocalyptic future after the final boss of a JRPG game came in through a portal?

I wouldn't call Drakengard a jrpg but yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It continues on from Drakengard's final ending (that series has the same tradition of like five endings minimum) which goes completely wtf, also involves the dragon riding protagonist beating said final boss in a rhythm game, then getting shot down by fighter jets to get impaled on a skyscraper spire.

There's some secondary material that I'm not sure is in game or in English which details the aftermath of such, it seems to involve salt zombies.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Papa NiER had some DLC involving Brother Nier anyway. I mostly remember it from The Dark Id's LP.

The way I remember it the DLC was the same for both versions of the game and just happened to have Yung Nier without any real context or plot relevance but it's been a decade. It was basically a bunch of hard combat trials (which kind of made the combat system finally tick in a way the main game never quite did).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's some secondary material that I'm not sure is in game or in English which details the aftermath of such, it seems to involve salt zombies.

That's actually the audio drama I mentioned. 'Salt zombies' is a pretty good brief, but there were stronger ones that maintained some semblance of humanity called the 'Red Eyes' that acted as leaders.

None of this, whatsoever, is in either Nier outside of I think a very vague mention in Automata. But there's parts of the latest FFXIV expansion (the one with Nier Automata raids) that might be that same stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Nier Plot Bullshit is so insane and weird that there's legitimate grounding for a theory that something in Final Fantasy XIV's main plot might actually be from a Japan-only Nier audio drama. And it wouldn't even be that weird, considering that FFXIV's latest expansion includes a Nier character that technically first appeared in Soul Calibur.

Yoko Taro is secretly a brilliant marketing move, because he's the one guy who'll do the 'make a whole bunch of outside-of-game story stuff' and then make them actually relevant in ways you don't expect. I actually want to follow Nier expanded universe stuff, because there is the distinct possibility that a gacha game collab somehow becomes canon for the next game.

Where this loses me is when a bunch of that stuff never gets translated or proper international releases, so you end up having to wiki trawl to get the gist of it instead of getting to actually enjoy the material.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cleretic posted:

That's actually the audio drama I mentioned. 'Salt zombies' is a pretty good brief, but there were stronger ones that maintained some semblance of humanity called the 'Red Eyes' that acted as leaders.

None of this, whatsoever, is in either Nier outside of I think a very vague mention in Automata. But there's parts of the latest FFXIV expansion (the one with Nier Automata raids) that might be that same stuff.

Nah it's in the OG Nier when you confront Devola and Popola. You get a bunch of documents that basically explain everything. When Caim came through the portal a bunch of magic residue came through too and hosed over mankind making those salt zombies and red eyes.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/05/pure-gym-slammed-for-slavery-based-workout-for-black-history-month-13374464/

That was poorly thought out

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dumb marketing moves: slavery was hard and so is this

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stare:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ancestral Burpee Grounds

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm sure we're close to seeing some VC-backed, Bay-area company with a '6YearsofHolocaust' diet plan.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

Nah it's in the OG Nier when you confront Devola and Popola. You get a bunch of documents that basically explain everything. When Caim came through the portal a bunch of magic residue came through too and hosed over mankind making those salt zombies and red eyes.

I thought the magical pollution came from the carcass of the dragon.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought the magical pollution came from the carcass of the dragon.

The stuff that caused people to turn into salt (or berserkers, if they survive the saltening) came from the final boss giant pregnant lady, and the particles that allowed people to start using magic probably came from the dragon corpse that they did experiments on. The Nier backstory is weird, but awesome.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Several years ago this commercial aired in Chicago where there are several family-owned pizza chains. I felt like maybe this wasn't the best way to show off your wares:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Several years ago this commercial aired in Chicago where there are several family-owned pizza chains. I felt like maybe this wasn't the best way to show off your wares:

I mean, it's not as bad as some. Dude obviously isn't afraid to consume his own product.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, it's not as bad as some. Dude obviously isn't afraid to consume his own product.

Never trust a skinny cook, is the old saying.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

He looks like he's about 5 minutes away from the old Yoshi's Island commercial.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Captain Hygiene posted:

Iosm thread was faster https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918745&pagenumber=392&perpage=40

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah it’s not like Chicago is famous for having tons of big fat guys or anything

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah it’s not like Chicago is famous for having tons of big fat guys or anything

Da Bears.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Dammit, now I want Lou Malnati’s.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

More tumblr ads

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like this one, it reminds me of that one account (the details of which I'm sadly drawing a blank on) that's made ambiguous but creepy warning signs and such.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Is this frog threatening me?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like this one, it reminds me of that one account (the details of which I'm sadly drawing a blank on) that's made ambiguous but creepy warning signs and such.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah that's the one, I dunno why I couldn't think of the name or even the word DON'T :tipshat:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Scarfolk Council are very important.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I will buy anything this murderous frog wants me to.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Focus group design is awful in general, people respond to a design that has an obvious consistent tone and voice to it.

Doing video game focus groups are amazing, literally nobody every agrees and the participants all complete dumbasses.

I was in one for a mobile game that had a ton of controversy at reveal and we all cheered when we realized what drama we got to revel in while the developers were listening. The only thing we agreed on was a monthly price point of $6.66 (in case you hadn't figured out what game it was yet) because it sounded cool. You can't expect to get real data from a bunch of college students, unemployed weirdos and bored idiots getting paid $125 to argue about video games for an hour.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Otana posted:

Doing video game focus groups are amazing, literally nobody every agrees and the participants all complete dumbasses.

I was in one for a mobile game that had a ton of controversy at reveal and we all cheered when we realized what drama we got to revel in while the developers were listening. The only thing we agreed on was a monthly price point of $6.66 (in case you hadn't figured out what game it was yet) because it sounded cool. You can't expect to get real data from a bunch of college students, unemployed weirdos and bored idiots getting paid $125 to argue about video games for an hour.

I dunno, those strike me as key demographics.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Somehow it's taken me this long to notice "12nd".

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Otana posted:

Did they not have phones?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Somehow it's taken me this long to notice "12nd".

Somebody didn't reread the poster...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Somebody didn't reread the poster...

They obviously got all the information first time through from the completely clear and sensible poster.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

now someone post those those fake food menus in bad simple english, I need to save those

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

now someone post those those fake food menus in bad simple english, I need to save those

Are you talking about Apple Cabin?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

so THAT's why the gf calls them vinegar husbands

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

First time I've ever said this, but I could really go for some Belgian Twinks right about now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

Are you talking about Apple Cabin?

gently caress yeah I was, ty