Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Average Bear posted:

Competitive Civ players have a fair amount of AIDS

:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Fleetwood Crack posted:

This is very true and I'm the same way. If you're looking for more casual games, there's a goon civ discord here:

https://discord.gg/aNGrvYg

Sweet, hope there's some interest.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
just got in. not sure if i'll be able to play civ 6 multi, but i'm definitely in for 5

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you understand a game's systems you have "aids" or are "toxic" or "cancerous" that's just the way things are, you also might be a "try-hard" and are clearly not "having fun."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you understand a game's systems you have "aids" or are "toxic" or "cancerous" that's just the way things are, you also might be a "try-hard" and are clearly not "having fun."

it's weird how so many games' systems revolve around screaming slurs at online randos that are doing things differently than you

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Straight White Shark posted:

it's weird how so many games' systems revolve around screaming slurs at online randos that are doing things differently than you

Maybe it is because so many games make you play an rear end in a top hat.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Maybe it is because so many gamers choose to play as an rear end in a top hat.

I think I fixed it :shrug:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You guys are some miserable fucks lol lighten up.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Average Bear posted:

You guys are some miserable fucks lol lighten up.

No need for this toxicity among the 4x discussion

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
4xtra chromosomes maybe. Topic locked.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Haven't played since the Fall Patch. According to Civfanatics, the AI seems to be handling itself better in combat now?

Gort, I don't know if you're still doing your tests?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im not sure, but on my last game I did almost lost a war on the beginning. The AI attacked me with a surprisingly effective force with a good amount of catapults. I resisted, but I think it was the closest victory Ive ever had on Civ 6

I didint noticed any AI improvement on diplomacy or city building though

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

John F Bennett posted:

Haven't played since the Fall Patch. According to Civfanatics, the AI seems to be handling itself better in combat now?

Gort, I don't know if you're still doing your tests?

nobody is updating mods, so I've been playing Beyond Erf (with mods)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I noticed in PotatoMycWhiskey's Youtube videos he has a display in the top right center of his hud that shows all the AI leader's outputs in terms of science/culture/religion/etc.

Is that from a mod and if so which one, otherwise how do I enable that in my games?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

That's part of the main game since 2 patches ago, I think.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
I thought it was too, but can't for the life of me figure out how to turn it on.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

John F Bennett posted:

That's part of the main game since 2 patches ago, I think.

No, it inst. I don't have that

Unless it's something you have to enable

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

It's an option but I forgot where it is.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's literally in the options
HUD ribbon or something like that

This question gets asked several times in the comments on Potato's videos and nearly every day on Reddit, and I don't think it will ever end

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Oh, thanks

Maybe they should make it enabled by default? People don't usually go look on the options menu to see if a new option was added

Plus it looks very useful, specially since this game is so lacking in information

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Really nice option, super dumb it isn't enabled by default. For the record it's in options, under interface labeled "Show Yields in HUD Ribbon" which would be completely overlooked by anyone who didn't know what they were looking for already.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Marbozir plays an AI only game of CIv 6 while giving Georgia a Giant Death Robot on turn 1 just to test the AI.

You won't believe what happens next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcMnyI-jXjk

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

John F Bennett posted:

Marbozir plays an AI only game of CIv 6 while giving Georgia a Giant Death Robot on turn 1 just to test the AI.

lol is like its doing on purpose, is like it dont really wants to win

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

drat - once you hit 30+ cities it starts to get much harder to manage your production, remembering your build plans. Or is there a build queue that I've just never found?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Shift click

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

John F Bennett posted:

You can tell Marb is a smart guy as he's turned off the HUD ribbon to stop people asking how to turn it on!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My gosh, watching those units shuffle back and forth... does the AI just roll a dice with directions written on it, and hope they brush up against a bad guy?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
As near as I can tell, the Civ 6 AI determines where each unit goes independently of each other unit. So what you're seeing is units backtracking across the empire to get to a goody hut because they saw the goody hut was unclaimed by another unit, despite the fact that there's already a unit two tiles away from the hut.

And yes, the AI is programmed to move every unit every turn unless it's a ranged unit setting up to attack because the AI is programmed to move every unit every turn if at all possible.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

berryjon posted:

As near as I can tell, the Civ 6 AI determines where each unit goes independently of each other unit. So what you're seeing is units backtracking across the empire to get to a goody hut because they saw the goody hut was unclaimed by another unit, despite the fact that there's already a unit two tiles away from the hut.

And yes, the AI is programmed to move every unit every turn unless it's a ranged unit setting up to attack because the AI is programmed to move every unit every turn if at all possible.

I'm not entirely sure this is true - or it's bugged. Numerous times I've had both AI civs and barbs leave units in place without moving or attacking, just for me to kill them the following turn. Running away would have been an option, attacking my unit would have been an option, instead they just stay planted.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Shooting Blanks posted:

drat - once you hit 30+ cities it starts to get much harder to manage your production, remembering your build plans. Or is there a build queue that I've just never found?

LoL I rarely go beyond 3 cities. But then I’ve yet to go beyond Prince difficulty.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm not entirely sure this is true - or it's bugged. Numerous times I've had both AI civs and barbs leave units in place without moving or attacking, just for me to kill them the following turn. Running away would have been an option, attacking my unit would have been an option, instead they just stay planted.

Yeah, the combat AI would be improved significantly if ranged units prioritised shooting the enemy higher than moving, but as it is you often see enemy ranged units making pointless moves and then being unable to shoot.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Another interesting gimmick game by Marbozir to test the AI. This time he gives every AI 10 nukes at the start to see what will happen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mCO1KC650g

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

This is kinda why I stopped playing. Once you pierce the veil and realize you are playing a bunch of AIs that are basically doing things at random, it becomes less interesting.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I feel the opposite. These “tests” are silly. If you replace every piece on a chess board with a pawn then the chess AI will get confused because it wasn’t designed to do anything with that and it would lead to unexpected results.

The AI is bad - it cant take cities, it needs bonuses to put up a fight on higher difficulties, but things where you gently caress up the core aspect of the game to see what happens are bad judges of its capabilities. They’re fun to see what breaks and what the AI does, but when it’s designed to take up space, provide some sort of threat, and potentially ally with you or backstab you, why would it work fine on a map where every tile is a volcano?

I think the AI is fine for what it is which is an enabler for the single person civilization-building and optimizing game. It provides a barrier even if it doesn’t provide a true challenge. It’s more environmental than competitive, which is why you can play against another person for that. The ai can and should be improved but I find the game perfectly fun the way it is and am often surprised by its willingness to be deceptive and unpredictable. Giving it a giant death robot turn 1 and asking “why hasn’t it won yet??” Is silly. It’s not designed to win turn 1 so why should it try to?

Also the Nuke one seems... totally reasonable? Using nukes generates tons of ill will, so if you use your nukes it’s likely an emergency comes and you’re the target of a massive war where every opponent has nukes and now out-nukes you 5-1 or some such. Why would you ever nuke first in that situation? He just created a MAD simulator.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 24, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tom Tucker posted:

I feel the opposite. These “tests” are silly. If you replace every piece on a chess board with a pawn then the chess AI will get confused because it wasn’t designed to do anything with that and it would lead to unexpected results.

The AI is bad - it cant take cities, it needs bonuses to put up a fight on higher difficulties, but things where you gently caress up the core aspect of the game to see what happens are bad judges of its capabilities. They’re fun to see what breaks and what the AI does, but when it’s designed to take up space, provide some sort of threat, and potentially ally with you or backstab you, why would it work fine on a map where every tile is a volcano?

I think the AI is fine for what it is which is an enabler for the single person civilization-building and optimizing game. It provides a barrier even if it doesn’t provide a true challenge. It’s more environmental than competitive, which is why you can play against another person for that. The ai can and should be improved but I find the game perfectly fun the way it is and am often surprised by its willingness to be deceptive and unpredictable. Giving it a giant death robot turn 1 and asking “why hasn’t it won yet??” Is silly. It’s not designed to win turn 1 so why should it try to?

But yet they do often try to conquer neighbours early game often if they have a superior army, so its really kinda weird how it refuses to use the robot or the tanks

I mostly agree with you on the rest, though. But I sure wish the AI was at least decent on city building so at least it could better keep up on science and etc late game

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you give the civ4 ai a stack of modern armor it will take over the whole world by turn 50. What the hell is civ6's problem?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you give the civ4 ai a stack of modern armor it will take over the whole world by turn 50. What the hell is civ6's problem?
1UPT

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No; while 1UPT is totally a hurdle that the AI struggles with, and is irksome to players trying to move their carpet of units, Civ6 AI's inability to mount warfare is something more fundamental and broken. Nobody would be complaining if the AI was losing due to poor tactical moves in rough terrain, the problem is that it won't take things handed to it on a silver platter, which has been shown anecdotally in everyone's games, and more empirically with these test videos.

I've come back to playing 4x titles after an absence, and quickly bouncing between Stellaris/Civ6/EL/ES2/SoaSE. Civ6 has a lot of merits, but its tragic AI is honestly the thing holding it back from greatness.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think it's kind of nice that just giving the AI an impressively strong army doesn't mean they just don't go automatically conquer everything in sight. The combat AI is exploitable but it's not broken because it doesn't just roll over everything with its single death robot. Similarly, the fact that the AI is given a dozen nukes shouldn't necessitate it using them even if they're about to lose. I'd hope that even our real world leaders are smart enough to realize that dropping some nukes out of spite because you're losing is a lovely thing to do.

And gently caress anyone still clinging onto 1UPT being the death of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Launching because you're flying to another planet, however, is custom and tradition