Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Eh? On my 2002 at least, you could easily get the sensor out from the back. The tone ring itself, yeah, that requires the hub to be pulled out

There's a few different implementations of tone rings throughout the years. The third gen and onward Legacy of which nm is an unfortunate and constant victim is one of the dumber designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Couldn't get a picture of it, but on my way home from work I got to see a twenty foot trail of sparks flying off the left front brake on some 90s Cadillac after the wheel came off.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Collateral Damage posted:

Way too many riders. The same kind of rider who swear that helmets are dangerous because the added weight will break your neck in a crash, and ABS brakes are bad because if they stop working you can't brake. :downs:

They're also the same people who think that the best way to avoid hitting a sudden obstacle is to flick the handlebars to the side, hamfist the front brake and lowside on purpose. Thus the nickname Layer Dan. ("A dog ran out out in front of me and I had to lay 'er down")

wow. Well, there is an explanation for a lot of motorcycle accidents out there if this is truly a common thing to think.

Lowside on purpose? whaaa... do they know that if they actually used the front brake they will stop WAY before the sliding friction of a bike and rider will stop? That's.. wow. Speechless. How did these people even get bike licences? ABS on a bike is fantastic.

I wonder if they were ever taught the finesse of bike riding, for example, just before you do a major brake, tap the front brake a little to setting the bike down on the front shocks, and THEN pull up hard.

I swear riding a motorbike for years before i even got my car licence taught me more about safety, shoulder checks, white space, and just.. general common sense. But obviously not ALL people get the intrinsic lessons that riding a lump of metal that falls over easy can teach you.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

rainwulf posted:

I wonder if they were ever taught the finesse of bike riding, for example, just before you do a major brake, tap the front brake a little to setting the bike down on the front shocks, and THEN pull up hard.

I don't really see much benefit in doing that over just coming on the brakes smoothly. If anything the extra delay will lengthen stopping distance and probably isn't something you can actually do in an emergency.

I think it has more to do with how when you were a kid on a bicycle you just skidded to a stop with the rear brake only. Except these people just grew up and decided to buy a motorcycle and ride it the same way on occasional weekends.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

rainwulf posted:

How did these people even get bike licences?

I got my license after an optional weekend course of tooling around in a parking lot. The actual motorcycle license test at the DMV is a short multiple choice test (questions about lane position and how to deal with train tracks are common) and a series of set maneuvers done in the parking lot. There's some tricky low speed moves, but nothing at speed and nothing pertaining to accident avoidance. My state doesn't even have a helmet law, which is not uncommon, and there are no displacement restrictions.

That and some money can get you 700 lb Harley or a 190 mph Hayabusa.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The most important thing for riding a motorcycle safely in my opinion is having extensive experience with on-road bicycling. That way you know how to handle a bike, you know that no traffic will ever see you, and you're used to keeping your head on a swivel.

Guess what harley riders never, ever do?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The most important thing for riding a motorcycle safely in my opinion is having extensive experience with on-road bicycling. That way you know how to handle a bike, you know that no traffic will ever see you, and you're used to keeping your head on a swivel.

Hmm, I commuted by bicycle for years in Portland before getting my license last year and a sportster, so I certainly couldn't guess what Harley riders never, ever do. I also wear more gear than most sport bike riders i see, so maybe I'm just an outlier. My brakes do suck, though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OK you're the 1% or less of folks that actually are good at motorcycling.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

rainwulf posted:

How did these people even get bike licences?

Alabama just passed a law last May requiring motorcycle riders to have a motorcycle endorsement on their license. It goes into effect on January 1, 2016.

Prior to this, there was no requirement to have a motorcycle license to operate a motorcycle within the state. The test and endorsement were offered so you can legally operate a motorcycle in other states, but one was not required to operate within state lines.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Alabama just passed a law last May requiring motorcycle riders to have a motorcycle endorsement on their license. It goes into effect on January 1, 2016.

Prior to this, there was no requirement to have a motorcycle license to operate a motorcycle within the state. The test and endorsement were offered so you can legally operate a motorcycle in other states, but one was not required to operate within state lines.

Motorcycle training, like driver's training, is a joke in this country.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Very much so.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

El Jebus posted:

Very much so.

Well, considering that the ability to drive is almost considered as a basic right the the US the fact that most license regimes are a joke kinda follows.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Though as stupidly simply as it is, it still results in a hilarious number of failures.

When I was a kid I worked at a grocery store that was right next to the BMV, so when I was working out in the parking lot on weekends I'd get to see the motorcycle maneuverability test setup in operation. So many people failed so miserably, trying to wrestle their inevitably enormous bike around the course. The first test is a slalom with 12 foot spacing, I'm pretty sure I could have driven my Ranger through it, but old guys on Goldwings seemed to have a hell of a time with it.

edit: Here's Ohio's "skills test" that you have to take before getting a full motorcycle endorsement - http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/mo_skill_test.pdf

You're expected to have ridden for a while on the temp permit (which doesn't allow night riding or passengers) before taking the test so this should be a piece of cake.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 31, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah, except on road bicycling isn't really like a motorcycle at all.

For example, we still have to follow laws. And road signs. And can't decide we want to act like a pedestrian suddenly when a light is red.

Not to mention hardly anything from riding a bicycle transfers to a motorcycle.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
The plug leads on my brothers car appear to be made out of some form of cracker bread.

I guess I'm gonna be spending a day cleaning each plug with a pick and blow gun.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

coldpudding posted:

spending a day cleaning each plug with a pick and blow gun.

How much do plugs cost where you live that you need to do this rather than replace them?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

coldpudding posted:

The plug leads on my brothers car appear to be made out of some form of cracker bread.

I guess I'm gonna be spending a day cleaning each plug with a pick and blow gun.

Oh, yeah, Miata ignition leads :yayclod:

Buy the nice NGK set. Replace every 30k mi.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

How much do plugs cost where you live that you need to do this rather than replace them?

It's so the plastic detritus doesn't get down into the engine from those deep plug holes, not the plugs themselves.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, except on road bicycling isn't really like a motorcycle at all.

For example, we still have to follow laws. And road signs. And can't decide we want to act like a pedestrian suddenly when a light is red.

Not to mention hardly anything from riding a bicycle transfers to a motorcycle.

Are you loving kidding? It's the exact same physics. Countersteering, picking the best line within your lane, avoiding potholes (and if you can't avoid one, accelerating over it to keep your front wheel up) as well as avoiding turning on manhole covers or other slippery markings on the road, keeping an eye out for debris or sand, keeping your head moving around to detect folks about to run a light or get out of their car, standing up on your pegs/pedals to get a better idea of what traffic is doing ahead? Learning not to target fixate? Many of these are things you will eventually make a mistake with, and it hurts a lot less to make a mistake while on a bicycle vs a motorbike. Maybe you've never ridden a bicycle in traffic? Not everyone rides like a spandex clad rear end in a top hat with no respect for the law.

I mean they even told us in the MSF class (which I took over a decade ago) "You need to go ride a bicycle in traffic at least a few times to become comfortable with being completely invisible to cars and handling a two wheeled, single tracked vehicle on the road." Two of the biggest things they teach you, "See, Search, Evaluate, Execute" and taking the lane with confidence are things that you will already be comfortable with if you're an experienced road cyclist. That goes a long way to making you a safer motorcyclist.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 1, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah I've heard a lot of navy ship captains attribute their success to the valuable canoe time they got in training. I think there's something to this.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Take it to CA.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:stonklol:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Is that part of the wheel?

Nm, looking at the back of the hub. How?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like the inner race of a wheel bearing. Never seen one do that before :stonk:

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Break the race trying to get it off, or was it broken that way in the car?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like the outer race to me (tips toward the inboard face, so it's the outer and the inner is already gone), and that it wasn't a fan of whatever removal method was used.

I'm more concerned by the garbage where the splined axle stub hole should be...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm more concerned by the garbage where the splined axle stub hole should be...

I'm guessing whatever this came off of was RWD.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm guessing whatever this came off of was RWD.

Kia Sedona left front hub

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Geirskogul posted:

It's so the plastic detritus doesn't get down into the engine from those deep plug holes, not the plugs themselves.

Well, yeah, but he said plug so I was pretty confused. Cheers bro.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Well then I'm with Kastein, where the gently caress are the drive splines?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well then I'm with Kastein, where the gently caress are the drive splines?

In a better place.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

14 INCH DICK posted:

50/50 aluminum/'white metal'

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Customer states they think they hit something. No further information provided on request.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

14 INCH DICK posted:

Customer states they think they hit something. No further information provided on request.

stance nation yo

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This is what happens when stance nation invades trucker/airbrake nation and it turns out they're as good at plumbing air lines as they are at welding control arms and you have one lock up 2 miles into a 5 mile show circuit.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

I must be dense, because this makes perfect sense to me.

VV :v: VV

FatCow fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 2, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was amused over the phrase intelligent tester.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Someone wants to be a pretty pretty butterfly.