Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

Hyundai says the concept has received positive attention everywhere except Texas.

loving :lol:.

That being said, gently caress Texas. I'd buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At this point it seems texans would be better off shopping for boats.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Powershift posted:

At this point it seems texans would be better off shopping for boats.

http://f650pickups.com/build.html

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

For how badly the economy for working class folks is in Houston, the amount of 2015 F150s driving around with paper tags is shocking. I figured people would be trying to limp their older trucks along, but nope. Gas is slightly cheaper = upgrade.

Also it's no joke, people here daily drive and commute in F250/2500 long bed king cab trucks from Katy to Houston and back all day, every day. I could so see those F650s being a thing if gas got a little cheaper.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BloodBag posted:

Also it's no joke, people here daily drive and commute in F250/2500 long bed king cab trucks from Katy to Houston and back all day, every day. I could so see those F650s being a thing if gas got a little cheaper.

Yeah same... everywhere else.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, putzing around on flyin' miata since I wanted to see if I could supercharge the NC for the glory of Immortan Joe, and came across...this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqbWDPua7a4

:captainpop: supercharged V8 exocet

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

mobby_6kl posted:

So if anyone ever wondered why BMW wants to make a bajilion different ugly SUVs and other stupid poo poo, well, here's why:

The Cayenne and Macan aren't just SUVs - they're fashion accessories for people who want to flaunt the Porsche name but don't want to be seen in (or can't drive) a 911 or Boxster.

BloodBag posted:

For how badly the economy for working class folks is in Houston, the amount of 2015 F150s driving around with paper tags is shocking. I figured people would be trying to limp their older trucks along, but nope. Gas is slightly cheaper = upgrade.

Someone somewhere compared these trucks to the full-size sedans of old. Think "LTD" or "98 Regency."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Someone somewhere compared these trucks to the full-size sedans of old. Think "LTD" or "98 Regency."
With only a 5.5 foot bed and the gigantic cabs, that's not a bad comparison.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Cayenne and Macan aren't just SUVs - they're fashion accessories for people who want to flaunt the Porsche name but don't want to be seen in (or can't drive) a 911 or Boxster.

Or, you know, have a couple of kids, go to costco, like the cayenne/macan, and can afford the premium over the platform brothers. It's not like either of them are a badge job. They deliver significant performance and comfort over their vw/audi brethren.

I'd drive either one of them, especially if I could only have or only waned one car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BloodBag posted:

Holy poo poo, is that a manual in a smart car?! gently caress me, that's about 17 years late. I heard the main gripe with that car is the utterly poo poo autotragic in it. I wonder what the fuel economy will be when they sell them stateside.

All the car2go ones in North America are still going to have a poo poo automatic though, in all likelihood, so the fact that it can be purchased with a manual is fairly inconsequential. I see at least 10 car2gos for every driver-purchased Smart.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

eyebeem posted:

Or, you know, have a couple of kids, go to costco, like the cayenne/macan, and can afford the premium over the platform brothers. It's not like either of them are a badge job. They deliver significant performance and comfort over their vw/audi brethren.

I'd drive either one of them, especially if I could only have or only waned one car.

ASK ME ABOUT COVERING UP MY INSECURITIES WITH A $120000 SUV. :v:

All luxury cars are excessive and impractical because 99% of people won't use or need their features. But at least there's that 1% of sports car owners that take theirs to the track. Nobody is going to drive those trucks or SUVs off-road.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 30, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

ASK ME ABOUT COVERING UP MY INSECURITIES WITH A $120000 SUV. :v:

All luxury cars are excessive and impractical because 99% of people won't use or need their features. But at least there's that 1% of sports car owners that take theirs to the track. Nobody is going to drive those trucks or SUVs off-road.

I guarantee a higher percentage of cayenne owners use the seating and cargo capacity offered by their SUV than the percentage of 911 owners out there that go to the track.

I'd bet more tow with their cayenne, too. Very, very few 911s ever see a track.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
gently caress anyone elses definition of "luxury" or "excessive" anyway. Could be anything from a 50cc scooter to a maybach. I would personally drive the poo poo out of a Macan turbo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
....or you can't afford a 911 because a Cayenne starts at $58k and a 911 starts at $84k. It's technically not true anymore but I could have sworn that for a longtime the cheapest Cayenne was cheaper than the cheapest Boxster and thus the cheapest Porsche. It's like getting a 1 ton for the price of a 1/2 ton. :banjo:

I don't care enough to be able to tell from the outside the difference between a $50k Cayenne and a $150k Cayenne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSj3f1QReE

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

....or you can't afford a 911 because a Cayenne starts at $58k and a 911 starts at $84k. It's technically not true anymore but I could have sworn that for a longtime the cheapest Cayenne was cheaper than the cheapest Boxster and thus the cheapest Porsche. It's like getting a 1 ton for the price of a 1/2 ton. :banjo:

I don't care enough to be able to tell from the outside the difference between a $50k Cayenne and a $150k Cayenne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSj3f1QReE

This is sitll true in that the Macan is stickered at less than the Boxster

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't get why internet hipster enthusiasts get so mad about Porsche having a lot of silly expensive options available that inflate their profit margins. If somebody wants to pour stupid extra money into illuminated carbon fiber door sill plates and leather-covered fuse box doors and mahogany consoles and poo poo, who cares?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BloodBag posted:

So, putzing around on flyin' miata since I wanted to see if I could supercharge the NC for the glory of Immortan Joe, and came across...this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqbWDPua7a4

:captainpop: supercharged V8 exocet

If someone took used Miata's and turned them into cheap, ugly Atom's I'd have one. Maybe not one with THAT much power.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

sean10mm posted:

I don't get why internet hipster enthusiasts get so mad about Porsche having a lot of silly expensive options available that inflate their profit margins. If somebody wants to pour stupid extra money into illuminated carbon fiber door sill plates and leather-covered fuse box doors and mahogany consoles and poo poo, who cares?

Because car enthusiasts are all bitter nerds who are obsessed with what other people spend their money on? God forbid somebody should want a family hauler that's also actually fun to drive. Apparently cars should only serve one purpose and one purpose only.

When I did valet I got to drive a few Cayennes, and that included a GTS model with the six speed, and it was comfy, fun to drive, and had pretty good storage space, if I had the cash to spend on that, I'd buy it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

Because car enthusiasts are all bitter nerds who are obsessed with what other people spend their money on? God forbid somebody should want a family
Because a turbo small block screams better than tiny humans

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A 911 is cheaper than a child and poops less.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cayenne/Macan both can haul more than a suitcase and also drive like sports cars (especially the Macan) instead of waddling boats so there's that. Apparently they also don't share much with their Audi relatives either. :chord:

They are picking off 5 series sedan buyers who want sport, storage and headroom.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 30, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

"I managed to put a few rifled 12ga slugs into her myself - I just wanted to destroy something beautiful."

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

This is fantastic.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shoulda put an LSx in it :colbert:

Not a bad alternative solution though :v:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

sean10mm posted:

I'm sad when I can't afford my dream car, but I'm even sadder when someone else can afford a boring utility vehicle that costs as much as my dream car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hikaki posted:

I'm sad when I can't afford my dream car, but I'm even sadder when someone else can afford a boring utility vehicle that costs as much as my dream car.

I'm sure there are people right now eating a meal that costs as much as your dream car.

Life ain't fair, get over it.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Pretty sure a bunch of Cayenne and Macan money goes directly into R&D for race cars so it's a moot point.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rich people have more things than me :argh:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Now this, this is the dream of anyone who has ever had the pleasure of owning a lemon, or dealt with a seemingly non ending stream of issues.

Living the dream, relatively speaking :allears:

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

eyebeem posted:

I guarantee a higher percentage of cayenne owners use the seating and cargo capacity offered by their SUV than the percentage of 911 owners out there that go to the track.

I'd bet more tow with their cayenne, too. Very, very few 911s ever see a track.

Back when I was in Saratoga Springs NY I saw a lot of rich white women driving cayennes to the supermarket with their 2 to 3 kids in tow, while the towing apparatus was used for a small horse trailer or a small utility trailer, and it seemed like the upmarket version of the Subaru cross trek.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

leica posted:

Rich people have more things than me :argh:

This, except unironically. :ussr:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

leica posted:

Shoulda put an LSx in it :colbert:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5047301850.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

I'm sure there are people right now eating a meal that costs as much as your dream car.

Eat the rich.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The funny thing is that this attitude is very similar to rich-person snobbery, just on a different income level.

A prestige brand making a high volume low price entry level car? Brand dilution! :argh:

I say this as someone who has a very poor opinion of the Cayenne, Macan and Panamera. And a general hatred of SUVs and crossovers that is not entirely justifiable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's nothing wrong with the Cayenne other than everyone I've ever met that drives one being a massive douche. Also, the fun one (the one I'd want) is Land Rover money, so gently caress that.

The Panamera, however, is eye-bleedingly ugly.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KillHour posted:

It does have strange proportions, which is kinda why I like it. I also think it's got the most beautiful cockpit of just about any car out now.

IT'S GOT loving BUTTONS. REAL. REACHABLE..BUTTONS.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Having driven both I'd rather own a Cayenne than a 911. There I said it.
But my impressions of these vehicles are based on a couple base model early-'00s 911s, versus a 1st gen Cayenne Turbo S. I'm sure a regular Cayenne is pretty poo poo. And the SRT8 Cherokee is a much better speedy SUV than the Porsche for a lot less money.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

There's nothing wrong with the Cayenne other than everyone I've ever met that drives one being a massive douche. Also, the fun one (the one I'd want) is Land Rover money, so gently caress that.

Which one is the fun one? Land Rovers start at $36k?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
90 minutes until all of the SICK Miata articles drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Phone posted:

90 minutes until all of the SICK Miata articles drop.

I think it is 3 am Eastern and 12 Pacific.