Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Y the Last Man seems like it is just a cursed production as it was announced yesterday that both of its showrunners were quitting. FX claims that all the actors will still be attached to the project but when something stalls out like this people usually bail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

Y the Last Man seems like it is just a cursed production as it was announced yesterday that both of its showrunners were quitting. FX claims that all the actors will still be attached to the project but when something stalls out like this people usually bail.

I hope it comes out that the network demanded something like "There needs to be more men on this show!"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Goddammit. FX is supposed to be pretty good with the creative side I thought. What were the reason(s) if any cited or just the usual "creative differences?"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Agent Carter was Feige's pet project wasn't it? It even introduced the Red Room, which appeared very briefly only later on, in AoU.

Anyway bring back Agent Carter and give the Agents of SHIELD a cameo in the next MCU film, thanks in advance.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Swamp Thing is ending S1 production early, and “the reaction on the set was one of shock.” sounds very bad, and possibly bad for DC Universe more generally, but not a lot of details right now

http://www.wect.com/2019/04/17/sources-swamp-thing-shut-down-production-early/

EDIT: I should have linked to this story instead, which has more details, none of them good: https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20190416/breaking-swamp-thing-to-shut-down-production-early

quote:

The currently in-production project is being shut down earlier than expected as its producer, Warner Bros., evaluates the future of its DC Universe streaming service, on which the series was scheduled to premiere May 31, according to several sources within the local industry.

Local crew members were notified of the unexpected development Tuesday night, and were told the project would wrap production on episode 10 and then halt as writers and producers rewrite an ending. Initially, the show was scheduled to film 13 episodes through May.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 17, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
disney+ got wb scared huh

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

One of the stars confirmed it on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwW_sq1FUcZ/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DC Universe is done, huh?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Codependent Poster posted:

DC Universe is done, huh?

They better finish Young Justice god dammit!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
They better not nuke Doom Patrol.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing DC Universe is done and all those shows will wind up on some new service with more than just comic stuff (WB Plus?) because that's what they should've done in the first place

CaptainCrunch posted:

They better finish Young Justice god dammit!

This was all part of the Light's plan

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hahahaha who didnt see that coming.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 17, 2019

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
You mean a premium service dedicated solely to projects for a comics brand that is objectively performing worse than its only major competitor has failed?! Who could have foreseen such a thing? Certainly not people who make a few percent of the salary of the execs who thought this was a good idea.

Too bad Time Warner doesn't own any other network or streaming service. Or network that already has a streaming service. One that could air uncensored content and already has a functional app. But these are the kind of problems people get paid 6-7 figures per year to solve.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I'm guessing DC Universe is done and all those shows will wind up on some new service with more than just comic stuff (WB Plus?) because that's what they should've done in the first place

This was all part of the Light's plan

ToastyPotato posted:

You mean a premium service dedicated solely to projects for a comics brand that is objectively performing worse than its only major competitor has failed?! Who could have foreseen such a thing? Certainly not people who make a few percent of the salary of the execs who thought this was a good idea.

Too bad Time Warner doesn't own any other network or streaming service. Or network that already has a streaming service. One that could air uncensored content and already has a functional app. But these are the kind of problems people get paid 6-7 figures per year to solve.

WB already announced their own all-encompassing streaming service, featuring both HBO and content from other WB brands, to launch later this year, but I'm not sure even they know how DCU fits into it yet. The former was announced a full year and a half after the latter; I imagine that by the time they decided to go the route of an all-encompassing WB streaming platform, too much money had already been sunk into DCU for them to cancel it and put the shows on hold for a year.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 17, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess batman puts on sunglasses ...got hosed

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The weird thing about these shows is that they're only exclusive in the US(and Canadá?). Titans, Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger are all at Netflix everywhere else.

Why make an exclusive platform for such a tiny market? AT&T/WB surely could splurge a bit more to have a presence overseas.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Samuringa posted:

The weird thing about these shows is that they're only exclusive in the US(and Canadá?). Titans, Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger are all at Netflix everywhere else.

Why make an exclusive platform for such a tiny market? AT&T/WB surely could splurge a bit more to have a presence overseas.

Only one of those shows is a DC thing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Does Doom Patrol even have an overseas distributor(s)?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Only one of those shows is a DC thing.

I meant all exclusive shows but really should have thought of more from DC :v:

Edit: Young Justice is also there, only S1 and 2 but I figure that like the others it'll be updated a bit after 3 ends.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 17, 2019

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Does Doom Patrol even have an overseas distributor(s)?

It does not. I guess Netflix might pick it up, but they have a frustrating habit of not putting up the stuff they license until it's done so they can put the whole thing up at once (they did this with Titans and apparently do this with the anime they license while just about every other anime site tries to put stuff up the day it airs in Japan).

Apart from Star Trek for some reason. Disco goes up the day after it releases in the US.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Veotax posted:

Apart from Star Trek for some reason. Disco goes up the day after it releases in the US.

I would guess that that was something CBS stipulated when they sold the international rights to Netflix. That, or Netflix figured piracy rates would be particularly high for a new Star Trek series if it wasn't made available near-simultaneously with the US/Canada airings (relatedly, that's something Disney+ is really going to have to figure out for the Star Wars/Marvel content, given the staggered international launches).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its weird that it looks like they're killing Swamp Thing when they just announced casting for season 2 of Titans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Titans is probably financed through its Netflix deal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's kind of a shame as DC Universe looks like it was just getting a massive line up of comics.

Which I could not pay for cause I am Canadian. Seriously it's biggest problem is it being America exclusive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD46c08MsHg
NWS trailer for The Boys.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh. I expected the DC streaming thing to limp along for a couple years before something like this happened.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8TKZu5PbdA

Teaser trailer for Swamp Thing. It looks like they realised him through practical effects. That's really awesome and I did not expect them to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol great timing on dropping that trailer guys

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Good. They have an amazing cast on their hands and the TV work that those two producers (show runners) have done before is definitely not FX-caliber.

Edit: for anyone unfamiliar with Barry Keoghan (playing Yorick) go watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not sure where this would best fit but im watching twilight zone ep3 and coogler and black panther get named dropped and the uncle just bragged about having a mint condition copy of TNCs first issue of bp and tells the son "dont gently caress it up" lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

not sure where this would best fit but im watching twilight zone ep3 and coogler and black panther get named dropped and the uncle just bragged about having a mint condition copy of TNCs first issue of bp and tells the son "dont gently caress it up" lol

Man that really is a crazy alternate take on reality!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Considering how DC usually operates I'd guess they inexplicably thought they'd be making Netflix money by now and are declaring it a failed experiment, tanking the streaming service and moving onto their next bad idea.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I like to think they opened the entire dc catalogue because they are going to shut down by the end of may and not refund anyone.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like they are still doing casting for Stargirl so who knows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Would extremely like to meet whoever established the "cut trailers to music, gunshots and explosions on beat, lyrics saying what's on screen" paradigm.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The Gifted has been canceled.
There's talk of it being shopped around inside Disney so we'll see how canceled it is but it was definitely enjoyable and I'm sad to see it go.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I have a love hate with it, and at this point I'm kind of happy it was put out of its misery. I didn't even finish season 2, it just did terrible things with characters and I wasn't really invested in anyone.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So are any of the other characters in Cloak and Dagger from the comics? Like the doppelganger lady

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I want to say it's a shame about The Gifted, but I don't feel like it ever really found its footing. Never really found the characters terribly engaging, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The Gifted was in a weird place where it was on the edge of being compelling and certainly was far from the worst comic show on TV but still suffered greatly from "we can't afford to bring our world to life" syndrome.