Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People, a lesson from one of Disney's new properties:

Mono = One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

At least he’s honest with himself about it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Due to the recent acquisition of Fox, the villain of Infinity War has been changed from Thanos to Hilary Clinton.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I think this will also give Disney the rights to re-distribute starwars 1-6. So maybe we will get the original versions of the movies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

People are more forgiving of this huge monopolistic merger because we think it shouldn't be necessary for one huge company to eat another just so Marvel can use its own characters in movies again.

Also most people fuckin loathe Fox so it's hard to get too upset even though yes this is a terrifying thing that is happening. Also the fact that it's not even going to be in the top ten most terrifying things that happened this year anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

badjohny posted:

I think this will also give Disney the rights to re-distribute starwars 1-6. So maybe we will get the original versions of the movies.

From what I gather on various FB posts about the deal, the original Lucasfilm purchase basically said they can never release those cuts of the film.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cocks Cable posted:

At least with Disney owning these properties again, they won't have a reason to squeeze the X-Men and F4 out of other merchandising lines such as video games and collectible markets.

Basically the only moral monopolistic mega-corporate merger is my monopolistic mega-corporate merger :colbert:

You probably already know this, but AFAIK, Disney has owned 100% of the licensing rights for those properties for many years now, aside from possibly anything directly based on Fox films. The X-Men/FF licensing ban was enacted out of pure spite for Fox and nothing more.

Ojjeorago posted:

Due to the recent acquisition of Fox, the villain of Infinity War has been changed from Thanos to Hilary Clinton.

I know this is just a joke, but Fox News isn’t part of the acquisition. I’d worry more about Murdoch buying CNN.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 14, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Barry Convex posted:

You probably already know this, but AFAIK, Disney has owned 100% of the licensing rights for those properties for many years now, aside from possibly anything directly based on Fox films. The X-Men/FF licensing ban was enacted out of pure spite for Fox and nothing more.

In Fairness, gently caress Fox, and Murdoch...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

badjohny posted:

This was the true endgame all along...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It wasn't JUST spite. It was done under the logic that licensing this stuff and making animated and other versions of the Fox-owned properties would basically end up being free advertising for their movies.

Which isn't too far off the mark.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Barry Convex posted:

I know this is just a joke, but Fox News isn’t part of the acquisition. I’d worry more about Murdoch buying CNN.

It's not completely loony tunes to think that a Murdoch will be Iger's successor though, and y'know, gently caress that whole family.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

howe_sam posted:

It's not completely loony tunes to think that a Murdoch will be Iger's successor though, and y'know, gently caress that whole family.

Kathleen Kennedy has been the heir apparent for a while now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cant wait for the warp jump sequence in gotg3 where they jump past yavin 4 as an easter egg

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

It wasn't JUST spite. It was done under the logic that licensing this stuff and making animated and other versions of the Fox-owned properties would basically end up being free advertising for their movies.

Which isn't too far off the mark.

Well, you’re right, but I think that was always pretty lovely logic.

Anyway, it’s almost poetic, isn’t it? All these years of Perlmutter et al. pushing from the top down to turn Inhumans into an X-Men-like property and failing at it, and just a month or so after the abysmal TV series ends, the whole thing becomes moot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kathleen Kennedy has been the heir apparent for a while now

James Murdoch has been discussed in the context of this deal, but my understanding based on a handful of articles from earlier in this year (when this acquisition was almost certainly in its initial stages but hadn't yet been disclosed to the public) is that "influential people" (whoever they may be) in Disney are very keen on promoting Sheryl Sandberg, who's currently on the Walt Disney Company board and is also the Chief Operating Officer at Facebook.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-Men have actually been allowed in games and merchandise for a couple of years again now, but the current crop of games were developed under the ban so only mobile stuff that can quickly add content have had them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Barry Convex posted:

Well, you’re right, but I think that was always pretty lovely logic.

It's not, really. The deal where Marvel sold off the rights to their properties was made to keep the company afloat, and are thus full of really exploitative terms that favored the studios. The profits for all tie-in products would go to Fox, which included toys, promotional stuff, everything. The only way for Marvel to make money off of these characters is to include them in standard Marvel-branded stuff. Meanwhile, comics make a fraction of the actual money they can get from movies and all that other stuff, so from a business perspective it would look like pouring money into a hole for the sake of the other team.

Basically, Marvel accepted a really lovely deal to survive, and years later after being bought by Disney, the comics became big enough to actually start feeling like they needed to undermine this stuff, while Disney was pissed that they both owned and "didn't own" this stuff. No one involved really comes out of it looking very good. The tactics Marvel employed to try and freeze Fox out were founded in solid business logic, but they also undermined the brand and amounted to pissing in the wind until... well, here we are. Disney went over their heads, more or less.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So is Namor the only thing they don't have now?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Retro Futurist posted:

Namor was part of the FF license, wasn't he?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's funny that Namor is like the first real Marvel hero, along with the original Human Torch, and has become the problem child that mom and dad don't like to talk about when he doesn't show up for the holidays.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

Separated and was part of a deal with Universal. My understanding is that Marvel already had those rights back though since nothing was ever done with the property.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TFRazorsaw posted:

I thought he was with Universal somehow still?

E: well there you go.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The film part of Namor's wikipedia page makes it seem like no one is really certain if Namor is with Universal or Marvel.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's funny that Namor is like the first real Marvel hero, along with the original Human Torch, and has become the problem child that mom and dad don't like to talk about when he doesn't show up for the holidays.

He’s so loving unlikable. At least in the Silver Age. Maybe he gets better I dunno. If Daredevil can do it anyone can.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well, somebody is happy about the acquisition
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/941346237801885696

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fruit on the bottom posted:

He’s so loving unlikable. At least in the Silver Age. Maybe he gets better I dunno. If Daredevil can do it anyone can.

Namors entire personality is being a huge loving unlikable rear end in a top hat I'm not sure what genius ever thought you could make a movie about him

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes yes yes give the X-Men to Gunn after GotG 3.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Well, yeah, I’m sure Doop is stoked.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Retro Futurist posted:

As far as I'm aware its both Namor and Hulk distribution rights, both of which are with Universal

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Retro Futurist posted:

Sony still has film rights to Spider-Man and associated characters.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
But Sony has at least expressed an interest in sharing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FoneBone posted:

Still looking forward to that Aunt May flick.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not, really. The deal where Marvel sold off the rights to their properties was made to keep the company afloat, and are thus full of really exploitative terms that favored the studios. The profits for all tie-in products would go to Fox, which included toys, promotional stuff, everything. The only way for Marvel to make money off of these characters is to include them in standard Marvel-branded stuff. Meanwhile, comics make a fraction of the actual money they can get from movies and all that other stuff, so from a business perspective it would look like pouring money into a hole for the sake of the other team.

Basically, Marvel accepted a really lovely deal to survive, and years later after being bought by Disney, the comics became big enough to actually start feeling like they needed to undermine this stuff, while Disney was pissed that they both owned and "didn't own" this stuff. No one involved really comes out of it looking very good. The tactics Marvel employed to try and freeze Fox out were founded in solid business logic, but they also undermined the brand and amounted to pissing in the wind until... well, here we are. Disney went over their heads, more or less.

As ubiquitous as the "Marvel was forced into making bad deals out of financial desperation" narrative has become, it's not actually true. You can read more in Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, by Sean Howe, but the short version is that the X-Men and FF rights were sold years before Marvel filed for bankruptcy in 1996, and the Spider-Man rights were sold to Sony several years after, when Marvel had largely recovered. Far from being desperate, Marvel's management at the time was eager to sign these deals, which of course look lovely in the post-MCU world, because they viewed potential films based on their IP primarily as risk-free advertising for their IP in other media - comics, animation, and merchandising - rather than as a viable revenue stream in and of themselves. From that perspective, the perpetuity clauses in many of these deals were actually a good thing, as they gave the studios in question an incentive to keep making films every few years, whereas many of Marvel's previous film deals had led to nothing but their properties languishing in development hell until the deals expired.

As for merchandising rights, I'm not sure what the exact terms were throughout the 90s or the 2000s, or even at the beginning of this decade, but I'm pretty sure that Marvel has fully controlled the X-Men and FF licensing and animation rights for a good few years now. If there's reporting to the contrary, I stand corrected.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FoneBone posted:

Oh right, forgot about this one.

Its actually much, much more complicated than this. Sony has leased production rights of S-M for 7 movies, 3 solo projects produced solely by Sony and 4 team up projects produced solely by Marvel Studios. All movies are under the creative head of Marvel Studios. Right now, they're at 5 of the 7 in various states of completion- Homecoming and Homecoming 2 are 2 of the 3 Sony solos, and Civil War, IW, and Avengers 4 are the 3 announced team-ups. After the 7 movies are done Sony and Disney will revisit their agreement and more than likely re-up for another half-dozen movies.

Sony funds and gains the sole BO of the solo S-M flicks, while Marvel does the same thing for team-ups that he is in. Interestingly, Disney has merchandising rights to both, dunno how they worked that out.

Spider-Man characters who aren't Peter Parker are still under Sony, so for instance that announced Tom Hardy Venom movie will not be MCU and solely funded and promoted by Sony.

I think that covers it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean it's only a matter of time before Sony hands the reigns over, but even if they don't at their stuff is part of the MCU.

Once their weird, completely unpromoted and somehow disconnected from Spider-man Venom movie flops they'll do yet another massive restructuring.

V--- I'm guessing it's like Hulk where they can use him but can't do a solo movie. And without FF or X-men why would you bother using Namor?

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 14, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought Kevin Feige did an interview a year or so ago and he said that from what he understood, Namor could be used by Disney

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought Kevin Feige did an interview a year or so ago and he said that from what he understood, Namor could be used by Disney

Its distribution rights. Disney can use Namor as much as they want, they can't make a Namor movie starring Namor all about Namor's life as king of Atlantis.

Its the Hulk thing, basically.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One weird trick: They could make a Namor/Hulk team up movie. Surf N Turf

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

One weird trick: They could make a Namor/Hulk team up movie. Surf N Turf

Splash 'n' Smash

Adbot