Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

everyone hyped this up but I was still not ready for how magical this was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah at first I thought the Fire Trial would be good but not what everyone was saying it would be. Boy was I wrong.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Finally, after who knows how many encounters, I've found this dumb weather ballsack. My starter ended up like 15 levels higher than the trainers around, might have to bench it for a while.

Moving on with the plot, I wasn't expecting a straight-up crack den in a Pokémon game :stare:

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
ohhh duuude the musical fanfare you receive when you win prize no. 1 in the lottery shops in festival plaza is awesome and goes on forever, much like my glory for getting a big nugget. Thank you, office worker. I understand I will never get anything good from you ever again

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I already thought the water trial was pretty good, since Lana spends the whole thing messing with you. But I was completely unprepared for Hiker David.

I think everyone was unprepared for Hiker David.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
what's everyone's highest rated picture thing

mine's 6,272

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I remember back when XY were released, there was a deal going on where if you registered a 3DS and certain other 3DS games, you could get a free e-shop code for a copy of X or Y.
Has anyone heard of nintendo planning something similar? Because I would like to get Moon as well. Need more legendaries to complete the livingdex, there's still a few pokemon I want to use for an in-game team, and because Sun was super fun and I want to play through the story again.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

mine's 6,272

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Are you sure about this, though? I farmed up two Destiny Knots (to give one away) and it didn't really take me long at all. Last I checked we didn't actually know if the Pickup tables were the same.

I spent about 90 minutes on route 1 with 6 meowths with pickup. Not counting the time it takes to gather the pokemon itself. Your mileage may vary I guess but at least I got 3 Prism Scales out of it.

"Everyone's got their own problems, huh? The critics loved my songs, but nobody was buying my music for a while, man. But I'm just a rocker down to my bones. Nothing else to do but keep on rocking. I dig you, Champ. Looks like you know who you are, too, right down to your bones."

Is Ryuki a reference to Platinum Games? He sort of reminds me of Dante actually.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Actually it was 7,102

For this picture

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Even though the game doesn't tell you this, you can press the Y button to check your pokemon's current EV spread on the main menu screen.

This is very useful because even after 63 sessions in Poke Pelago (Which is what is SUPPOSED to max out a stat) it... well wasn't maxed out for some reason.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the ambush at battle tree is mean

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I seem to have missed you guys. Feel free to hit me up again tommorow.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Night Blade posted:

Even though the game doesn't tell you this, you can press the Y button to check your pokemon's current EV spread on the main menu screen.

This is very useful because even after 63 sessions in Poke Pelago (Which is what is SUPPOSED to max out a stat) it... well wasn't maxed out for some reason.
Level 3? I know that's a stupid question but I'm asking it anyway. Because if it's not level 3 you're only half/a quarter maxed after 63.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mazerunner posted:

mine's 6,272

This is such an underrated feature. Getting the perfect snap of a pokemon doing its pose is :3:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Level 3? I know that's a stupid question but I'm asking it anyway. Because if it's not level 3 you're only half/a quarter maxed after 63.

Not at all.

The center wasnt level 3 when I EV trained these pokemon; and I assumed the value was the same regardless of level (I thought upgrades only changed the amount of pokemon you can train at a time)

Thank for clearing that up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Night Blade posted:

Not at all.

The center wasnt level 3 when I EV trained these pokemon; and I assumed the value was the same regardless of level (I thought upgrades only changed the amount of pokemon you can train at a time)

Thank for clearing that up.
Ugh, tell me about it. The text doesn't indicate in any way that it should change EVs given, but I learned from Serebii that it does. Thanks, Game Freak.

(also my Castform got traded for a Type: Null since I complained and got given one by a kindly goon, so I have three now, so if anyone else is doing a living dex and wants one I can trade it after work tomorrow, quote this and let me know. The end is in sight - just need someone on GTS to bite on Solgaleo for Cosmog and then level up my Nebby so it can become a Cosmoem!)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Night Blade posted:

Why the gently caress is 99 an option then

E: I should've read the replies w/e

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I just hatched my first shiny ever since playing poke red and it was an Absol! Now I have to make it not suck, I just got Absolite for it and that works well but it's getting one shotted by literally everything cuz it's defenses are so poo poo. Is there anything I can do and/or teach it to get it's defense up to par? I have to use it, it's my first ever shiny.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

g0lbez posted:

I just hatched my first shiny ever since playing poke red and it was an Absol! Now I have to make it not suck, I just got Absolite for it and that works well but it's getting one shotted by literally everything cuz it's defenses are so poo poo. Is there anything I can do and/or teach it to get it's defense up to par? I have to use it, it's my first ever shiny.

get it sucker punch, hope it one shots everything before they kill you

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm still really sad that Silvally is pretty garbo. Sparse movepool and his hold items not providing a boost is dumb as hell. I'm still gonna use the guy because he looks awesome but goddamn do I have blue balls.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'm still really sad that Silvally is pretty garbo. Sparse movepool and his hold items not providing a boost is dumb as hell. I'm still gonna use the guy because he looks awesome but goddamn do I have blue balls.

type: null is a gift pokemon so you can't get it in beast balls :v:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Mazerunner posted:

get it sucker punch, hope it one shots everything before they kill you

and this is why i posted here. sucker punch is a brilliant move i never would've thought of. thanks!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I have a shiny Meowth now, naughty nature but it's cool.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mazerunner posted:

:mad:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Ayyyyyyyyyyy :hfive:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ROFL Octopus posted:

I really liked the idea of a legally usable Arceus, so I was pretty let down at how bad it turned out to be. I mean I understand trying to make them stand out from each other, but Silvally's move pool is just dire. The only real thing it has going for it is Parting Shot.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

I really liked the idea of a legally usable Arceus, so I was pretty let down at how bad it turned out to be. I mean I understand trying to make them stand out from each other, but Silvally's move pool is just dire. The only real thing it has going for it is Parting Shot.

It also wrecks fairy types if you make it Poison.

Edit: See this Smogon post for a possibly moveset for Silvally that works fairly okay.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 29, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dr. Fetus posted:

The worst thing is that Garfield Persian does the job better due to much higher speed and great physical bulk.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
and STAB Foul Play aint bad

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Aether Goon: Team Skull tries to capture Pokemon and then sell them off. That's what I heard anyway. But if a species goes extinct, you'll never ever be able to meet one again. Isn't that unimaginable?
Me: I bought a bird skeleton at a jewelry shop for like 70$? Then this guy I just met resurrected it for free out of the back of his trailer home?

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
Is this Chinese Gastrodon I got from wondertrade shiny?? i can't tell because they come in different colours :confuoot:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

A lot of Gen 7 Pokemon are gonna be bad until we get Move Tutors in the next game. So best to keep lots of Pokemon in Pokebank to hoard BP to tutor lots of Pokemon!

If it's got a star, then it's shiny. Never knew West Sea Gastrodon had a completely negligible shiny form though, that's a shame.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Maxy Boy posted:

Is this Chinese Gastrodon I got from wondertrade shiny?? i can't tell because they come in different colours :confuoot:

dont think so

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maxy Boy posted:

Yes, that's what the red star means. Though, wow, that's a lovely shiny colour, looks identical.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nihilarian posted:

Aether Goon: Team Skull tries to capture Pokemon and then sell them off. That's what I heard anyway. But if a species goes extinct, you'll never ever be able to meet one again. Isn't that unimaginable?
Me: I bought a bird skeleton at a jewelry shop for like 70$? Then this guy I just met resurrected it for free out of the back of his trailer home?
Ya know, it occurs to me: the main reason Skull grunts "steal pokemon" is because they're being probably being paid by Lusamine/Aether Foundation to do so. The ones they take are either put in the public conservation area, or if they're cute/rare/whatever enough, put in Lusamine's giant Livingdex of ice-cubes.

Maxy Boy posted:

Yup! See the star?
Gastrodon's one of those "the shiny looks nearly identical to the original" shinies.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Yes, that's what the red star means. Though, wow, that's a lovely shiny colour, looks identical.

Yeah what the hell. My first shiny in SM and it looks identical. I always thought that if I was lucky enough to score a shiny i'd use it in my team, but not this slug. Boo

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Crosspeice posted:

A lot of Gen 7 Pokemon are gonna be bad until we get Move Tutors in the next game. So best to keep lots of Pokemon in Pokebank to hoard BP to tutor lots of Pokemon!

If it's got a star, then it's shiny. Never knew West Sea Gastrodon had a completely negligible shiny form though, that's a shame.

I can't wait to bring over my Mega Gallade (if they patch the stone in :ohdear:) and Dragalge.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, it seems like they were going for a bit of a blank slate/silent protagonist thing but of course they also allow your character to reply to things so :iiam:

Either way they should've been able to learn from previous games. Heck, even the silent protagonist game has a more emotive hero than this game:

SuMo is still the most amazing game and I love it a lot, but there are things they could've improved :v:

The weirdest thing about the player character being so unexpresive is that every other character in the game does display facial emotions, so clearly gamefreak did know how to make characters do that they just chose not to have the main character emote in any way because.....I dunno, something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Ya know, it occurs to me: the main reason Skull grunts "steal pokemon" is because they're being probably being paid by Lusamine/Aether Foundation to do so. The ones they take are either put in the public conservation area, or if they're cute/rare/whatever enough, put in Lusamine's giant Livingdex of ice-cubes.

I don't know. I don't think any'd get put in the conservation area. Since I kinda assume that ever since she went crazy that was mostly a front for Lusamine to do the whole 'cryogenically freeze cute pokemon she likes' thing. And since it's mentioned Aether only recently established itself in Alola while Team Skull's I think been around for a while, they had probably gotten up to some poke-theft before.