Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

reflex posted:

What's a recipe to introduce someone to avacados? I've tried eating avacado twice over the years, and both times was unpleasant (made some guac in food processor, don't remember what else I added). I really want to like them. :smith:

Why do you want to like them? If you don't like them, you don't like them. It's not a food sin to not like something.

I've had avocado for years in various preparations and I do not care for them and do not get the obsession with them. You have permission to not like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

reflex posted:

What's a recipe to introduce someone to avacados? I've tried eating avacado twice over the years, and both times was unpleasant (made some guac in food processor, don't remember what else I added). I really want to like them. :smith:

I think avacados tend to taste a bit empty if they're unsalted. Make sure if you make some guacamole to salt it well enough and if you're putting it on something I guess make sure it's salty enough. Think of it like butter fruit or something, it's fatty stuff.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Ripeness is everything with avocados. If you've only had the slightly underripe or vacuum ripened ones, I don't blame you for not enjoying them. They're inspid, tasteless things.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I inadvertently grew about 50+ cilantro plants. What's the smartest way to freeze them? Can I just trim and keep the trimmings in plastic bags in the freezer?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

me your dad posted:

I inadvertently grew about 50+ cilantro plants. What's the smartest way to freeze them? Can I just trim and keep the trimmings in plastic bags in the freezer?

Two ways, I suppose. My personal preference is to chop them up like you would normally and then put a hefty pinch of them in each compartment of an icecube tray and then cover each pinch with a preferred oil, and then freeze that. You can line the tray with plastic wrap beforehand if you don't want to get oil residue.

The second way is to cut them per your wont and lay them one layer thick (to freeze quickly and without clumping) on a metal cookie sheet and then freeze that, once it's all frozen transfer all dat poo poo into a ziplock baggie.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I would also make a quart or two of sauce.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm looking for legume recipes that are easy and healthy for weeknight dinners. I've made this Mesir Wat recipe a few times, and now I'm looking for more variety in my weeknight legumes.

I do not have a pressure cooker, but I do have two slow cookers.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone have suggestions for cheap, healthy easy to make dinners? Chicken breasts and salad got old quick.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

goodness posted:

Anyone have suggestions for cheap, healthy easy to make dinners? Chicken breasts and salad got old quick.

I pair the Mesir Wat recipe above with white rice and veggies. It's dirt cheap and super filling, and I get 2 monster sized dinners out of the recipe.

I have tweaked the recipe a bit for my disgustingly American taste and laziness however, as I just chop the onion and finely dice the ginger and garlic instead of pureeing it all, I use chicken stock instead of veggie, and I add in a can of diced tomatoes when the lentils go in.

Also this Moroccan Chicken and Couscous recipe is pretty easy and is super loving delicious. You could replace the couscous with simple rice and still have a delicious meal.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I went to a fruteria in Bogota and saw these huge podlike things, so I grabbed a few just to try them out. It took a while to figure out what they were, since the sign just had the term "balues", though apparently more commonly in Spanish they're called chachafruto. My housemates call them "anal beads".

I was trying to read up on them in Spanish, but just got a bunch of long gobbledygook about how great they are, and something about a spiritual diet, and whatever else. I finally found out the Latin term and found the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrina_edulis . The article's a little spastic from some enthusiastic person with weak English and strong opinions, but I think I have the basic idea:

quote:

Basul can be used as a food source for humans and animals. ... Every pod contains 6 grains. ... On dry matter basis, the grains have a protein content between 18-23%. The protein is composed like protein in most legumes with a high lysine content and lower concentrations in sulfur-containing amino acids (methionine and cysteine) and tryptophan. ... To use the grains in human food, they need to be boiled or fried for at least 45 minutes. If the grains are eaten raw frequently, they can be toxic because they contain some alkaloids.[4] ... The cooked beans can be used in soups, cakes, salads, tortillas etc. They can be dried after the boiling process, grounded and used as flour with different purposes.[4] Nowadays the grains are not yet very common. Till now its use is limited to the period when other food supply is scare, but the South-American governments are advertising this bean in the Andes. For example they distribute recipes that people become more aware of this possible food source. Also the Colombian government is trying to conserve these beans in cans with the aim to provide an opportunity to store them longer and to open the export market.[5] ...

Okay, some kind of weird tree legume that's slightly poisonous until long cooked, and works sort of like regular beans.

My current plan is to boil these for 45m tonight, chuck the water and rinse them. Then tomorrow or the next day slow-cook them with some garlic and lime, some spices, and make them into Egyptian ful mudammas (fava bean stew).

Does this seem like a reasonable option?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'm looking for legume recipes that are easy and healthy for weeknight dinners. I've made this Mesir Wat recipe a few times, and now I'm looking for more variety in my weeknight legumes.

Lentils/dal will probably be the easiest if you want to cook it that night, since most other common legumes will take a while to cook. I can't remember how long they take on low with a slow cooker, but it may be less than your workday. However, you can just make a big batch of beans and then add ingredients to those during weeknights. There are tons of different types of dal out there though so I'd recommend looking into that and fixing something that sounds nice. There's a few different types of dal out there too.

Some dishes can just use the already cooked beans with just a bit of extra work. Some things that come to mind:

-Chana/rajma masala: chickpeas/red beans with a tomato gravy. Serve with rice, roti, or naan (If you want to slow cook kidney beans you must boil them for 10 minutes to remove a toxin that produces gastrointestinal distress)
-Refried beans - Serve with tortillas and some rice or serve it alongside some huevos rancheros
-Baked beans - Serve with Cornbread
-Hummus - Serve with pita or make it into a sandwich/wrap type of thing
-Put the beans in some burritos
-Cassoulet - Serve with some nice crusty french bread. This one might actually take a while...
-Bean soups - Serve with bread or noodles. Tons of different soup options.
-Bean chili (I'll see myself out)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

You might find this thread useful.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Are restaurant supply stores cheaper and better than Amazon or whatever?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Often times yes, especially if you want a few small things and Amazon doesn't offer free shipping unless you buy $40 worth of stuff first

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I went to a fruteria in Bogota and saw these huge podlike things, so I grabbed a few just to try them out. It took a while to figure out what they were, since the sign just had the term "balues", though apparently more commonly in Spanish they're called chachafruto. My housemates call them "anal beads".

I was trying to read up on them in Spanish, but just got a bunch of long gobbledygook about how great they are, and something about a spiritual diet, and whatever else. I finally found out the Latin term and found the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrina_edulis . The article's a little spastic from some enthusiastic person with weak English and strong opinions, but I think I have the basic idea:

Okay, some kind of weird tree legume that's slightly poisonous until long cooked, and works sort of like regular beans.

My current plan is to boil these for 45m tonight, chuck the water and rinse them. Then tomorrow or the next day slow-cook them with some garlic and lime, some spices, and make them into Egyptian ful mudammas (fava bean stew).

Does this seem like a reasonable option?

Ful is made with dried beans usually. I'd serve them more like fresh garbanzos or like beans - butter or oil to dress, herbs, acid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Has anyone heard of clarifying soup stock with beef liver? I'm browsing through an old French cookbook from 1907 and in its pot-au-feu recipe it talks about the role of each ingredient and says the liver is there to clear the broth. Anyone heard of this being done before?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

I can't speak for all of them, but I've been shopping at Restaurant Depot for a about a month.

Some items are the exact same price as a discount grocery, but there are a lot of things you can't get at regular markets. When you buy huge commercial containers, the price is much cheaper. I bought a 50 pound bag of King Arthur Special Patent flour for $16.50.

My biggest disappointment is the spices: limited selection. Yeah, they sell huge gallons of spices for cheap, but its basically all seasoned salt mixes and basic spices. If you want a good selection of ethnic spices, I do better at Market Basket.

Good produce, though: I bought a flat of awesome tomatoes still on the vine for like 5 bucks. Can't beat that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Paper With Lines posted:

I got a 30" x 60" stainless steel worktable from a restaurant supply store for like $170, and it owns so hard.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Well, DUH... restaurant equipment is the one thing you can't buy anywhere else.

Like those square plastic buckets you've got on the shelf... those things are awesome.

EDIT: Nice kitchen, though... maybe its time for another kitchen pictures thread.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a general thread for kitchen product kickstarters? I discovered this neat looking thing and would like to see what other goons think.

(Talking about this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794797705/potcov?ref=category)

I will remove the link if rules say no.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

Is there a general thread for kitchen product kickstarters? I discovered this neat looking thing and would like to see what other goons think.

(Talking about this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794797705/potcov?ref=category)

We don't have a kickstarter thread, but we have a kitchen product thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

Personally I don't see the need for it. I put my lids on the counter and wipe it down after I'm done cooking because the counter was gonna get messy anyways.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well I like it because German kitchens tend to be smallish and it enables you to store hot lids "safely"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That seems large and unwieldy and totally unnecessary. But whatever floats your (u-)boat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have probably the smallest kitchen in Germany and I think that's ridiculous. Lids go on a burner not in use or on the dish rack, spoons go across the pot or on a small dish. Stood up vertically they'd probably just be in the way when I needed to reach for something.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ful is made with dried beans usually. I'd serve them more like fresh garbanzos or like beans - butter or oil to dress, herbs, acid.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing, though that's also pretty much what you do with ful anyway (lemon, garlic, spices, oil). Or were you suggesting doing them cold? I just cooked them hot, and was passing close to fava; they aren't dried-dried, but they don't taste green either.

I need to check again how much they cost per pound (particularly since a lot of the weight is inedible husk), but if they're reasonably affordable I could see using them again to make faux-ful, maybe one of those Turkish piyaz dishes that are usually white-bean and vinegar/spices. Maybe even get cheeky and try to use them to make Egyptian-style falafel.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 22, 2014

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Hopper posted:

Use a drying rack.

Realistically, though, if you have room for that, you have room to just put the lid down. If you're really that worried about it, put it on a towel.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

That's pretty much what I ended up doing, though that's also pretty much what you do with ful anyway (lemon, garlic, spices, oil). Or were you suggesting doing them cold? I just cooked them hot, and was passing close to fava; they aren't dried-dried, but they don't taste green either.

I need to check again how much they cost per pound (particularly since a lot of the weight is inedible husk), but if they're reasonably affordable I could see using them again to make faux-ful, maybe one of those Turkish piyaz dishes that are usually white-bean and vinegar/spices. Maybe even get cheeky and try to use them to make Egyptian-style falafel.

Yeah, chilled or room temperature, after draining and rinsing. But your plan sounds good.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Hopper posted:

I actually really like this idea because I have a tiny kitchen and am constantly having a problem with finding somewhere to put a pot lid down, but this design seems way too tall to be really functional. Sixty seconds of searching google reveals this thing http://www.animicausa.com/shop/Stocking-Stuffers/Pot-Lid-Stand/tpflypage.tpl.html which seems way, way more practical.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

phthalocyanine posted:

I actually really like this idea because I have a tiny kitchen and am constantly having a problem with finding somewhere to put a pot lid down, but this design seems way too tall to be really functional. Sixty seconds of searching google reveals this thing http://www.animicausa.com/shop/Stocking-Stuffers/Pot-Lid-Stand/tpflypage.tpl.html which seems way, way more practical.

The issue with that is the condensation drip just goes everywhere. With that silly kickstarter one, it at least all funnels into the little thing at the base. I mean, otherwise you could just rest your lids and spoons on a plate (or two) while you're cooking. Everyone complains about available cooking space, but ya'll wanna keep buying weird fuckin' devices instead of things that you already have available in your home.

A friend of mine would call this 'white people problems'.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wipe my counters when I'm done cooking.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chemmy posted:

I wipe my counters when I'm done cooking.

THANK YOU. This is what I do.

I mean, I do own a spoon rest, but otherwise, the whole point of kitchen counters is to cook on them.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I only cook for 1-2 and most recipes I use seem to feed 4-6, which leads me to over eating. My solution is going to be portioning the meals out immediately and freezing the leftovers. Are there any commonly used ingredients/sauces that don't freeze well?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

reflex posted:

Are there any commonly used ingredients/sauces that don't freeze well?
buttery/cheesey stuff never reheats right for me. Tastes fine but looks very, very odd.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've been making New York style pizzas and I'm pretty happy with them, but I feel like something is off about the cheese. I use whole milk mozzarella that I grate off the block myself, and I top with Parmesan, but it feels like it needs another kind of cheese. Do authentic New York pizzas use strictly mozzarella? Is there another cheese I should use in addition? I've heard provolone and white cheddar suggested, but I never thought provolone had a strong taste and I thought cheddar would completely gently caress up the taste.

EDIT: In the interests of full disclosure, I've never had the real thing as I've never been to New York.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 23, 2014

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

CloseFriend posted:

I've been making New York style pizzas and I'm pretty happy with them, but I feel like something is off about the cheese. I use whole milk mozzarella that I grate off the block myself, and I top with Parmesan, but it feels like it needs another kind of cheese. Do authentic New York pizzas use strictly mozzarella? Is there another cheese I should use in addition? I've heard provolone and white cheddar suggested, but I never thought provolone had a strong taste and I thought cheddar would completely gently caress up the taste.

EDIT: In the interests of full disclosure, I've never had the real thing as I've never been to New York.

Dunno if it's New York style but maybe throwing in some romano cheese in with the parmesan?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
New Yorkers are giant snobs about their pizza for no good reason. There's just as much crap pizza in New York as there is anywhere else. (They're right about the bagel thing, though.) Besides, I'm 99% certain that "New York style" has more to do with the crust being thin and crispy and foldable.

That said, the traditional mix is provolone and mozz. Don't use cheddar, you're right, it'll gently caress up the taste. Fontina is also delicious on pizza, as is romano and parmesean.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's a cool way to use up a bunch of chives besides using them as a topping or throwing them in sour cream?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Make a ton of gyoza/potstickers.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

reflex posted:

I only cook for 1-2 and most recipes I use seem to feed 4-6, which leads me to over eating. My solution is going to be portioning the meals out immediately and freezing the leftovers. Are there any commonly used ingredients/sauces that don't freeze well?

Halve your recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

net work error posted:

What's a cool way to use up a bunch of chives besides using them as a topping or throwing them in sour cream?

They should work in anything you'd normally add garlic and onion to, from soup to pico.