Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

They have about the same proportion of performance difference that they do price difference.

Both are pretty mediocre cards at best, though. You'd probably get more off of Craigslist or the like at that price range.

Yeah? My budget is around $250 and I'd honestly like to avoid buying second hand...if only for warranty issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CelestialScribe posted:

Deciding between two graphics cards:

R7-360 for $AU167

R7-370 for $AU220.

Any particular reason why I'd go for the 370 over the 360?

If you want to you can get a R9 270 for $AU169 which is a bit faster than either of those cards.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you want to you can get a R9 270 for $AU169 which is a bit faster than either of those cards.

Huh, that's weird why it's so cheaper.

In any case, I'm upgrading from a 7850, so anything will be faster!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

Unless you're literally running on a single PCIe 1.1 channel it's usually better than you would expect. And even with a 13% handicap a GTX 980 is enough for pretty much any 1080p use-case. Even 144hz and stuff like that.

My motherboard has a feature where you can plug longer length cards into the x1 slots; something I've been wondering since I got it is: could I plug my 980TI into the PCIe 3.0 x1 slot and it would work? It just doesn't seem possible considering it is an eighth of the length of the x16 slots unless the length past the divider is just PCIe channels. I don't know how this stuff works really. And how much slower would it be than the x16, besides the seemingly obvious answer of 16 times?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

Actually, not terribly. An R9 270 is a rebranded 7870 with a clock bump.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Ambaire posted:

It just doesn't seem possible considering it is an eighth of the length of the x16 slots unless the length past the divider is just PCIe channels. I don't know how this stuff works really. And how much slower would it be than the x16, besides the seemingly obvious answer of 16 times?
Bolded is correct. It will work in that slot. It won't work as well as you'd hope, but it will work better than you think.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Actually, not terribly. An R9 270 is a rebranded 7870 with a clock bump.

Huh, okay.

In that case, I'm a little confused. What would be my best bet for something new at $AU250?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

Huh, okay.

In that case, I'm a little confused. What would be my best bet for something new at $AU250?

I don't really know much about AUS retailers (I'm Canadian) but judging that your dollar's even lower than ours, you're probably hosed unless you bump it up to $300 and spring for a cheap (probably blower) GTX 960.

If it wasn't getting to be summer there I'd say start pushing more power into the card and crank the clocks until you have a few more bucks to drop.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ambaire posted:

My motherboard has a feature where you can plug longer length cards into the x1 slots; something I've been wondering since I got it is: could I plug my 980TI into the PCIe 3.0 x1 slot and it would work? It just doesn't seem possible considering it is an eighth of the length of the x16 slots unless the length past the divider is just PCIe channels. I don't know how this stuff works really. And how much slower would it be than the x16, besides the seemingly obvious answer of 16 times?

Yup, it would just work. (It might be really wobbly and hard to seat, though...)
The divider is splitting off power delivery traces and the data traffic bits, which is why every PCIe slot has the first little part.
It's not at all 16 times slower.

Take a look at this image that was posted a ways up the thread:

Bandwidth has doubled with each PCIe generation, so a 1x 3.0 lane is going to be the same as 4x PCIe 1.1. So with the 980 in the image, you're still getting 75% of max performance.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CelestialScribe posted:

Huh, okay.

The only options you have at that price are sidegrades, and going a little above that grants you all of a single resolution tier bump (R9 380 and GTX 960 at about AUD 300, though there are a couple of 960 models at AUD 290.) The actual upgrades are in the $500 tier.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I can do the R9-380 if I push my budget to $300. Would that be worth it?

To be honest, I'm upgrading because my current card is hosed and needs to be replaced, and is out of warranty. So I guess it doesn't really matter what I go with?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CelestialScribe posted:

I can do the R9-380 if I push my budget to $300. Would that be worth it?

To be honest, I'm upgrading because my current card is hosed and needs to be replaced, and is out of warranty. So I guess it doesn't really matter what I go with?
Well in that case the 380 and 960 are your best options. If you plan on keeping the card for 3 years, go with the 380 as DX12 adoption will give it slightly more mileage at the end of its life, if you want to get a new box 1.5-2 years down the line, go with the 960.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CelestialScribe posted:

Huh, okay.

Not much, the next step up would be a R9 380 at $AU285, anything under that and you will not be seeing much difference. This one has a good cooler and is a good bit faster than a 960.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Bandwidth has doubled with each PCIe generation, so a 1x 3.0 lane is going to be the same as 4x PCIe 1.1. So with the 980 in the image, you're still getting 75% of max performance.

And as Paul MaudDib explained, bus bandwidth becomes less of a factor as resolution increases so at 4K you'd get 88% of max performance from that tiny slot.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/21.html

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Thirding the OK on the 380. You probably won't get much overclocking out of it but it's a nifty card for the price and can do tessellation fairly well for an AMD chip.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Thanks everyone!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

And as Paul MaudDib explained, bus bandwidth becomes less of a factor as resolution increases so at 4K you'd get 88% of max performance from that tiny slot.

Yup, like I said the performance is much better than you'd expect. 1.1x4 to 3.0x16 is a 64x difference, but you're looking at a 12-25% difference depending on resolution, with higher resolutions providing better efficiency since draw calls make up less of the frame time vs rendering.

The counterpoint is that it's an Amdahl's Law style situation. In computer science, this is a law that basically states that as you increase the level of parallel processing, the overall runtime is dominated by the parts of the program that cannot be parallelized. So if you have a program that is 75% parallel computation and 25% sequential and you apply 3 processors, you go from 0.75/3 + 0.25 = 50% runtime. If you apply 9 processors you go from 50% to 0.75/9 + .25 = 33% of the sequential runtime - 3x as many processors but only a 33% improvement in runtime.

Here, as you apply more processing power, the time to transfer the game state plus the draw calls will come to dominate the processing time. Fortunately we're nowhere near the point where this becomes a problem yet. Using a flagship Pascal card to run 1080p will become increasingly inefficient though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

LiquidRain posted:

Bolded is correct. It will work in that slot. It won't work as well as you'd hope, but it will work better than you think.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yup, like I said the performance is much better than you'd expect. 1.1x4 to 3.0x16 is a 64x difference, but you're looking at a 12-25% difference depending on resolution, with higher resolutions providing better efficiency since draw calls make up less of the frame time vs rendering.

Ok, thanks. That's fascinating. I didn't realize that it was backwards compatible like that.

repiv posted:

Edit: For that GTX 980, 4K PCIe 1.1 x4 vs 3 x16 is only 2 FPS lower? Now I'm thinking I could have just shoved this video card in my old pc's 2.0 x16 slot and I would have been just as happy. I thought you HAD to match a PCIe 3.0 card with a 3.0 slot or bad stuff happened.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 7, 2015

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Looks like others are having the same issue I had with my Titan Xes on their AMD cards and Freesync monitors: http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/XG270HU-freesync-monitor-flicker-and-graphical-artifacts-at-100/td-p/361331

Same symptoms, same troubleshooting, same results (artifacts stop when downclocked etc.)

They theorize that GPU manufacturers aren't stress testing their cards at 1440p + 144hz. So it might not be that I got two defective cards in a row rather than that EVGA is shipping out cards that can't handle being run constantly at that level.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 7, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Or maybe its that monitor?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Or maybe its that monitor?

How would a monitor break a graphics card?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I mean maybe the monitor just doesnt work well? Is that the monitor if you have?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I mean maybe the monitor just doesnt work well? Is that the monitor if you have?

Nope, ROG Swift.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I guess what I meant to ask was if we'll be able to use any desktop graphics card in a dock via TB3, I know that past docks were completely proprietary so choosing your own card was out of the question.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I guess what I meant to ask was if we'll be able to use any desktop graphics card in a dock via TB3, I know that past docks were completely proprietary so choosing your own card was out of the question.

You mean like one of these? http://www.villagetronic.com/g4/expansion-products/nano/overview

At that point it barely makes sense - why not just build a whole desktop?

e. Guess that one isn't Thunderbolt at all

dissss fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 7, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nfcknblvbl posted:

What? All the external GPU docks whether the old express card variety or the newer thunderbolt versions work with whatever GPU you plugged in then. They never came with a special card of their own.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

What? All the external GPU docks whether the old express card variety or the newer thunderbolt versions work with whatever GPU you plugged in then. They never came with a special card of their own.

I didn't know that the old docks would take any old GPU you wanted. This looks promising, then.

My current desktop is pretty old, and I don't want to upgrade the motherboard and CPU if there's a decent laptop I can buy with a TB3 GPU dock. I have a baby on the way, and it's gonna take my office so I probably won't have room for a big rear end desktop any more.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I didn't know that the old docks would take any old GPU you wanted. This looks promising, then.

My current desktop is pretty old, and I don't want to upgrade the motherboard and CPU if there's a decent laptop I can buy with a TB3 GPU dock. I have a baby on the way, and it's gonna take my office so I probably won't have room for a big rear end desktop any more.

You can also build a tiny desktop instead!

Unless you're planning on doing your gaming on the couch or something, you still have to have some place to sit and use a mouse, and very small form factor desktops are all the rage right now.

A laptop with dock + external GPU is going to be very much more expensive (Docks aren't cheap, they're generally at least a few hundred on top of the cost of the video card.) anyhow, and besides that, laptop graphics cards themselves have reached all the way up to the desktop 970 level just about. Nvidia is actually shoving real desktop 980s in new laptops, but, welllll, I hope you don't plan on ever using one of those away from a desk and power outlet.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

CelestialScribe posted:

Haha, oh you've been caught by the web of rebrands.

The R9 370 basically is a Radeon 7850, and the R9 360 is SLOWER than your current card.

The lower-mid-range is improving at a loving glacial pace, and the mid-range is hardly any better in terms of value.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 7, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The 370 being a rebranded 265 is the dumbest rebrand of the new lineup. First time I can recall they've moved a chip UP in the hierarchy.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

Unless you're planning on doing your gaming on the couch or something, you still have to have some place to sit and use a mouse, and very small form factor desktops are all the rage right now.

I guess I'll build a mini ITX computer instead with my 980Ti, thanks.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Any Canadian goons in here spy any good video card deals lately? I'm not a fan of the 100$ markup on top of exchange rate. They're really gouging us here.
No particular card. Any reasonable/smart purchase between a 380 and a 980ti.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

Any Canadian goons in here spy any good video card deals lately? I'm not a fan of the 100$ markup on top of exchange rate. They're really gouging us here.

You don't really see deals for much at all on video cards unfortunately, maybe $10-$20 off at most. That said you can get this 380 pretty cheaply, only ~$30 more than a 380 costs in the US.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Nvidia has launched a new bundle, buy a 970 or up and get either the new Assassin's Creed or Rainbow Six. That translates into a 20 - 30 usd savings if you flip the code.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Cheap Shot posted:

I'm mostly finding it following the rate? GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD $690USD vs $909CAD. It's ~$10 difference.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Nvidia has launched a new bundle, buy a 970 or up and get either the new Assassin's Creed or Rainbow Six. That translates into a 20 - 30 usd savings if you flip the code.

Hell yeah I actually had fun with rainbow six beta... looking forward to picking up someone's code

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You don't really see deals for much at all on video cards unfortunately, maybe $10-$20 off at most. That said you can get this 380 pretty cheaply, only ~$30 more than a 380 costs in the US.

That's not bad at all, thank you!

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

The 370 being a rebranded 265 is the dumbest rebrand of the new lineup. First time I can recall they've moved a chip UP in the hierarchy.

Yeah but didn't it drop from an R9 to R7?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BurritoJustice posted:

This happened with the 285 -> 380 also, given that the 280X was faster than either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

HamHawkes posted:

Yeah but didn't it drop from an R9 to R7?

Who the hell looks at that number? drat