Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crasical posted:

How would you model a DnD-Style Warlock in Chronicles? Someone with a Faustian bargain, a pact with an eldritch Old God, or an empowered Cultist? Vanilla mortal who's been handed the keys to a lot of magical juju by a sponsor or patron?

Probably a Spirit-Ridden.

It kind of depends on the context, though. Is this a villain for a mortals game? A high-tier Hunter game? Prey for an Uratha pack? Do you have a player who wants to be a warlock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Posting here since the Bloodlines thread is archived - Wadjet Eye Games (of many excellent Lucasarts adventure throwbacks fame) and one of the Failbetter guys (of Sunless Sea / Fallen London / that little pre-Inquisition Dragon Age webgame) are kickstarting a text-heavy CYOA RPG explicitly pitched as a spiritual descendant of Bloodlines. Check it out - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0

Speaking of Bloodlines, I was perusing the WoD wiki and I was shocked to that it's been revealed that Jeanette is 6th generation. No wonder she had her own little fiefdom.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Crasical posted:

How would you model a DnD-Style Warlock in Chronicles? Someone with a Faustian bargain, a pact with an eldritch Old God, or an empowered Cultist? Vanilla mortal who's been handed the keys to a lot of magical juju by a sponsor or patron?

There's an RPG called "Witch: Fated Souls" which isn't set in the WoD but even from the name is rather evidently inspired by it. It deals with people who have made (sometimes quite literally) deals with the devil in exchange for power. Mechanically it's kind of meh but worth a read for inspiration

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Charlz Guybon posted:

Speaking of Bloodlines, I was perusing the WoD wiki and I was shocked to that it's been revealed that Jeanette is 6th generation. No wonder she had her own little fiefdom.

Random low Generation characters seemed to be a common theme in the oWoD.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

She, or they, are that low? Wow. Apparently the PC is supposed to be like 8th Generation or so, so I guess that explains how she can no-sell your Dominate attempt if you're a Ventrue.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Crasical posted:

Arguably, a regular old mage.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Dawgstar posted:

She, or they, are that low? Wow. Apparently the PC is supposed to be like 8th Generation or so, so I guess that explains how she can no-sell your Dominate attempt if you're a Ventrue.

I thought the implication was that you start as a random double-digit rear end in a top hat, but because Caine/Gehenna/plot you quickly develop into effectively a methuselah, also explaining the ludicrous pace at which you pick up skills and disciplines and why LaCroix can boss you around all he wants in the beginning of the game but not towards the end.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Terrorforge posted:

I thought the implication was that you start as a random double-digit rear end in a top hat, but because Caine/Gehenna/plot you quickly develop into effectively a methuselah, also explaining the ludicrous pace at which you pick up skills and disciplines and why LaCroix can boss you around all he wants in the beginning of the game but not towards the end.

You don't diablerize anyone as part of the plot that I can recall so I don't know how you'd be magically raising in Gen.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Caine does it though magic bullshit gen 1 powers, I assume.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mors Rattus posted:

You don't diablerize anyone as part of the plot that I can recall so I don't know how you'd be magically raising in Gen.

I was trying to remember if diablerie or even generation even got mentioned in the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I was trying to remember if diablerie or even generation even got mentioned in the game.

Yeah, Diablerie is mentioned and so is Generation as a concept, but it's never made explicit where the Neonate or their sire fell. A lot of it was guesswork anyway. Like whatever bloodline the Sheriff is supposed to be (maybe that African Tzmisce variant) is at least 7th because he knows Chiropteran Marauder which is Latin for 'I hope you put XP in Firearms'). Etc.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

... magic?

More seriously, there's implications that Caine himself has taken an interest in the PC. And when antediluvians get involved, let alone Big Daddy C himself, all bets are right the gently caress off. We're talking about a character whose actual printed sheet basically says "he can do whatever he wants" e: actually maybe he doesn't have a printed sheet and im easily confused by things i read on the internet, but you get my point

Admittedly though, this may just be a fan theory among fan theories that happened to get stuck in my head. Not sure if there's any more compelling argument for it other than neatly explaining all the weird video game conventions that don't really need to be explained.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 10, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Terrorforge posted:

We're talking about a character whose actual printed sheet basically says "he can do whatever he wants"

Obligatory:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Terrorforge posted:

... magic?

More seriously, there's implications that Caine himself has taken an interest in the PC. And when antediluvians get involved, let alone Big Daddy C himself, all bets are right the gently caress off. We're talking about a character whose actual printed sheet basically says "he can do whatever he wants"

Admittedly though, this may just be a fan theory among fan theories that happened to get stuck in my head. Not sure if there's any more compelling argument for it other than neatly explaining all the weird video game conventions that don't really need to be explained.

The only real implication is that the taxi driver's voice file is marked 'Cain' - it is definitely not explicit in the game by any means. So yeah, this is absolutely a fan theory.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wish it was possible to have a mature conversation about Vampire: Bloodlines without giving me the urge to replay it.

Come on, man, you know you're going to drop it halfway through Downtown again.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ZearothK posted:

Nah, drop it around Hollywood. Downtown is solid all the way through, for the most part

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

The only real implication is that the taxi driver's voice file is marked 'Cain' - it is definitely not explicit in the game by any means. So yeah, this is absolutely a fan theory.

That, and his role and behaviour in the final parts of the game suggest he is at the very least some kind of spooky old mover and shaker with an inhuman affect and prophetic tendencies. So if not literally Cain as suggested by the data, at least someone who could plausibly arrange for a fresh neonate to get injected with blood magic stereoids.

But yes, of course it's a fan theory. Any discussion of the PCs generation is, because the official answer to why they are the way they are is "we just don't know".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I still think Velvet is a good NPC.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

I think the size of your blood pool remains consistent throughout the game, too. It's like, 14 points or so?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Zereth posted:

I think the size of your blood pool remains consistent throughout the game, too. It's like, 14 points or so?

Yeah, but Bloodlines has absolutely no qualms about altering the PnP mechanics so that's hardly conclusive.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

someone is knocking you out/dominating you offscreen so well that you have no indications of it and then subjecting you to that Assamite ritual that raises your generation via alchemical vitae

e: or one of the half-dozen other cannonical non-diablerie-based ways of lowering your generation, Assamite sorcery just seems like the most easily accessible method for people who haven't been around a few thousand years - IIRC a Dark Ages supplement had some of Malkav's blood suspended in water being good for a generation per drop, so I'd assume any interested and sufficiently powerful party in the 4th or 5th generation probably knows how to pull off something similar with a bit more effort

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 10, 2018

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I thought the Malkavian PC was pretty clear about it being him at the end

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Kaza42 posted:

Nah, drop it around Hollywood. Downtown is solid all the way through, for the most part

Every time I replay it, I turn on no-clip for the sewers part. I did it once legit, I'm not doing that nonsense again.

e: Oh also, if you use Auspex around the taxi driver, he has a vampiric aura, fwiw.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The two easiest ways to explain your character shrugging off domination at the end of Bloodlines is A) an increasing Willpower score, such that Lacroix ends up rolling at an effective TN 9 or 10 or B) an increasing VtM 5E Blood Potency score, such that you end up above Lacroix despite starting beneath him.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LGD posted:

someone is knocking you out/dominating you offscreen so well that you have no indications of it and then subjecting you to that Assamite ritual that raises your generation via alchemical vitae

e: or one of the half-dozen other cannonical non-diablerie-based ways of lowering your generation, Assamite sorcery just seems like the most easily accessible method for people who haven't been around a few thousand years - IIRC a Dark Ages supplement had some of Malkav's blood suspended in water being good for a generation per drop, so I'd assume any interested and sufficiently powerful party in the 4th or 5th generation probably knows how to pull off something similar with a bit more effort

I think there's even a Tremere ritual that does it, albeit temporarily.

It'd be pretty thematic for whatever burst of power your PC was riding through the game to suddenly end, leaving you eaten by the coming apocalypse as a one-note chump who had a few nights of glory.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaza42 posted:

I normally quit around Chinatown, generally after I talk to the super racist stereotype who sells the weapons there. I wish there was more to Hollywood, and there probably was given how much Wesp has added back that was cut originally.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dawgstar posted:

I normally quit around Chinatown, generally after I talk to the super racist stereotype who sells the weapons there. I wish there was more to Hollywood, and there probably was given how much Wesp has added back that was cut originally.

You quit after the sewer? Hell, at that point you may as well finish the game and fuuuuuuuuuuu I'm about to reinstall Bloodlines

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

You quit after the sewer? Hell, at that point you may as well finish the game and fuuuuuuuuuuu I'm about to reinstall Bloodlines

World of Darkness Megathread: fuuuuuuuuuuu I'm about to reinstall Bloodlines

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ZearothK posted:

You are insane.

Bloodlines only really gets lifeless around the very end of the game. Up to and including the monastery rescue the game has fun stuff to show you. But after that point the combat levels just get longer and longer and the dialogue gets shorter and shorter

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 10, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Unsure if Nighthawks is going to make it at this point. The arc of most kickstarter campaigns, even when such things could really rake in cash, was a horseshoe. If it makes as much in its last week as it did in its first, it won't reach 100%.

So uh, spread it around I guess. Paradox has shown no interest in running with an actual use of the Bloodlines IP, might as well let the indies try at a facsimile. Cuz no one else will.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Unsure if Nighthawks is going to make it at this point. The arc of most kickstarter campaigns, even when such things could really rake in cash, was a horseshoe. If it makes as much in its last week as it did in its first, it won't reach 100%.

So uh, spread it around I guess. Paradox has shown no interest in running with an actual use of the Bloodlines IP, might as well let the indies try at a facsimile. Cuz no one else will.

I backed it but haven't kept an eye on it since last week. That would be a bummer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
At least after the Sewers you get to hang out with best Nosferatu Gary.

The Changeling posted:

I backed it but haven't kept an eye on it since last week. That would be a bummer.

drat, it would feel like the Ars Magica videogame all over again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaza42 posted:

Eh, it's not that bad if you take the Nos shortcut. You have to make a Hacking check, but that's hardly a problem in the Final Nights of passwords lists online.

MonsieurChoc posted:

At least after the Sewers you get to hang out with best Nosferatu Gary.

You're not wrong there, boss.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Basic Chunnel posted:

You are insane.

Bloodlines only really gets lifeless around the very end of the game. Up to and including the monastery rescue the game has fun stuff to show you. But after that point the combat levels just get longer and longer and the dialogue gets shorter and shorter

I am, but the last two times I indeed dropped my playthrough after doing some of the quests in Downtown. I wasn't bored or anything, life just got in the way and then new games came out when I had the time for it. And now I've done Santa Monica so many times that it gives me pause to touch Bloodlines.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One under appreciated aspect of Bloodlines is that all the music is in mp3 format. So as long as the files lack any ID3 tags you can easily swap out the originals and make the club goths gorilla dance to ABBA, or Miles Davis. Always a good pretext to start a replay

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsieurChoc posted:

drat, it would feel like the Ars Magica videogame all over again.

It never had a chance. :smith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Basic Chunnel posted:

One under appreciated aspect of Bloodlines is that all the music is in mp3 format. So as long as the files lack any ID3 tags you can easily swap out the originals and make the club goths gorilla dance to ABBA, or Miles Davis. Always a good pretext to start a replay

I remember one mod had new music and such, so I decided to give it a try. It came on the radio in place of The Deb of Night so it got uninstalled quick. No Deb, no Friggin' Chicken. We're all civilized here.

There's a fan theory Deb is also Kindred, but I think it's equally likely she's done a call-in show in LA for long enough it's hard to phase her. Props to her regular Gomez for getting most of the game's plot right as time goes on.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Was the second Hunter the Reconking game good? I've been playing the first one recently because it's backwards compatible on Xbox and my buddy gave me his copy.

It's OK for what it is, but I'm wondering if I should try and track down the other one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

Was the second Hunter the Reconking game good? I've been playing the first one recently because it's backwards compatible on Xbox and my buddy gave me his copy.

It's OK for what it is, but I'm wondering if I should try and track down the other one.

Redeemer adds in a new character (the Redeemer creed) along with the original four. It's essentially the first one with more stuff. If you liked the first one you'll probably enjoy Redeemer. I was able to round up a couple of friends to play it and we had a fine old time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Redeemer adds in a new character (the Redeemer creed) along with the original four. It's essentially the first one with more stuff. If you liked the first one you'll probably enjoy Redeemer. I was able to round up a couple of friends to play it and we had a fine old time.

Okay I think I'd probably enjoy the first one more if I wasn't playing solo. That escorts mission in the graveyard is killing me.