Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pentyne posted:

Don't you need to make an investment in the stats to really get effective poise?

the big problem here is that what counts as "effective poise" is completely unknowable due to the aforementioned obfuscation of mechanics

if there was an indicator of when hyperarmor was active, or some kind of visible poise meter you could watch go down while in hyperarmor, then you could make a reasonable decision around it, but it's all just guesswork and tummyfeels for what amount of poise and types of attacks seem to actually do anything against the average enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Dropbear posted:

Does poise just flat-out do nothing? I'm two-handing a colossal weapon in heavy armor, and my attacks & block counters still always get interrupted by a guy poking me with a wand.

you need like 70-80+ just to ignore dog/rat bites

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

TheSwizzler posted:

I keep seeing reddit people alluding to a way to unlock summon upgrade pre-Margit. I'm assuming this is bullshit but if it's not that'll go a long way for me.

The NPC will progress to Roundtable Hold automatically if you get into the area north of the Castle.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I haven't finished the game yet so maybe it does matter but I enjoy how Margit doesn't need a fake name at all. You have no idea who he is and little reason to care.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of item descriptions seem to have very direct spoilers on quests and progression. Also a lot of people don't read those descriptions.

One example is Dectus lift medallion which basically says where the other one is. Another is Purifying crystal tear which says Yo use this in the Mohg fight

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

roomtone posted:

this is probably the most open point of the game because you've got a bunch of options which are all around the same difficulty depending on what kind of build you have.

if you just want to go where the lift takes you though:

there is another way up to the altus plateau than the lift

just to the west of the lift on the map, you'll see a valley. at the north of the valley near the orange coloured tunnel, you'll find a dungeon which scales the cliffs and gets you to the plateau without using the lift.

Venuz Patrol posted:

there's an alternate route up to the plateau from liurnia. alternatively, the pieces of the medallion that controls the grand lift of dectus are in caelid

Thanks, I'll do some exploring and see if I can nick some more upgrade materials.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There is a boss in that area and some quest stuff behind it, but for story progression you should go talk to the fingers again and they'll tell you where to go.

Cheers!

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Does summon Jelly then smash meteors into the boss’s face ever stop being effective? God I hope not.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It's been a few pages back (thread move fast, etc) but thanks to whomever pointed out the Royal Knight's Resolve. I'm rolling through the capital with my wand and my WA dagger and just mashed the gargoyle in the middle before he could move with 61 Int.

Cowcaster posted:

i hate to be the broken record about this but the idea "can i beat this boss using spells, and only spells" makes as much sense to me as saying to yourself "can i beat this boss using arrows, and only arrows" and attempting to follow through on that. it's not a design criteria from had in mind when creating this game or any of their other games, it's a challenge you're imposing on yourself. the fact that it could legitimately be literally impossible isn't on from any more than it could be legitimately impossible to beat the game using only throwing knives.

It's not impossible. It's just impossible using objectively bad spells, and arguably impossible with most/all of the mediocre ones. Your arrows analogy doesn't work because arrows don't use a unique damage stat with its own scaling. If there was a stat and a really sweet bow that killed bosses with arrows, you're advocating for using other, worse bows and then also melee. Why would you ever do that? Why would you pump Archery to 99 and then trust the boss to your 10 Dex? Do you spend half of boss fights swinging your huge damage Str hammer then switch to a Dagger?

As I've said since I started playing the game, sorcery works just fine for the most part. Pretty much every complaint I had got overwritten by lasers. I beat everything except Alecto, Rennala, and the invisible assassin with spells and (with two early game exceptions) only with spells. That doesn't mean all the sorceries are good. Pebble outclasses any Phalanx spell, so you just don't use Phalanx spells.

The one issue, and the only issue, with sorcery is that there's very little progression. You've got a library of magic and are constantly finding spells but they don't match up to a handful that you get early and one you get about halfway through. This makes finding a new spell instantly boring in the way that finding a new WA or shiny weapon isn't. I don't know why everyone keeps conflating some spells sucking with SORCERY BAD but that's been the trend so far.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
60 poise is when I start being able to reliably tank past a stray light hit or two, even when one-handing a straight sword. That said, without the talisman, it's really, really tough to get your poise up in this game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Why is the final Boss fight incredibly easy (beat 2nd try) but the Melania fight the worst loving thing since a thousand ninja gaiden hawks on a level of nothing but pixel perfect platform jumps.

Holy poo poo gently caress this boss.

Pixel perfect? wtf are you talking about lol. that platforming was the easiest poo poo ever

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dropbear posted:

Does poise just flat-out do nothing? I'm two-handing a colossal weapon in heavy armor, and my attacks & block counters still always get interrupted by a guy poking me with a wand.

in my experience poise has more to do with the intention of an attack than the raw damage values attached to it. attacks that look heavy, like an overhand swing from a zweihander, will stagger you almost regardless of poise. minor poking attacks like arrows and glintstone pebbles or big attacks with a lot of small hits in them are where the benefits of decent poise really show through

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mailer posted:

Do you spend half of boss fights swinging your huge damage Str hammer then switch to a Dagger?

if my huge strength damage hammer ran on huge strength damage fuel that came as a limited resource and ran out halfway through the fight? yes? what's the alternative here?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

toasterwarrior posted:

60 poise is when I start being able to reliably tank past a stray light hit or two, even when one-handing a straight sword. That said, without the talisman, it's really, really tough to get your poise up in this game.

Man my armor is really light lol, I've got 30 I can go with tops

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

if my huge strength damage hammer ran on huge strength damage fuel that came as a limited resource and ran out halfway through the fight? yes? what's the alternative here?

like i think the more accurate comparison in this situation to make is if a build that sunk 99 points into strength tried to beat every boss using nothing but weapon arts without ever actually swinging their weapon. some weapon arts would make that impossible. some weapon arts would make it really easy! but at the end of the day someone going "hey what the heck am i supposed to do i run out of fp way before i can finish this boss off with nothing but weapon arts, and i don't want to hit them with a weapon" would be just as silly

edit: also i think it's misleading to imply that picking int as your main damage stat is less functional than any other damage stat because it relies on a limited resource of fp and spells when 1) there are plenty of melee weapons that scale with int just as there are weapons for any other stat, (and if you don't like any of the ones on offer you can make your own using ashes), and 2) faith and arcane builds exist and don't seem to have any problem with the fact that they're going to have to hit things with a weapon or invest into other stats to reach the end of the game

edit2: ohhh i think i see the misunderstanding here. the reason i used arrows as a comparison wasn't because they're equivalent to melee weapons, it's because they have AMMUNITION. if you try and kill a boss only using a bow and arrow and run out of arrows so you have to use a weapon that's not the game's fault for "being poorly designed for 'archer 99' builds"

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 9, 2022

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Pollyanna posted:

Late game: do I really need to beat Draconic Tree Sentinel? The game is pushing me to go to a particular place and I can't find any other way in.

once you do beat him most of the zone he guards is easier than caelid and drops a lot more souls.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
The Giant crystal bull at the top of the mountain was a surprisingly straightforward fight on horseback.
All his attacks have clear openings .

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
the balance of the game kinda falls apart later both in pvp and pve.

most of the spells and stuff you find is more or less pvp-only because the lower fp spells are more efficient and faster. but in pvp it becomes a bit of a nightmare because you're often dealing with two to three man gank squads all using moonveils which cannot be dodged if they stagger their attacks and which will likely one shot you even at 40 vigor and decent magic defense. so invasions become a grindfest where the host and his buddies hang out around the bonfire waiting to kill you and you hang far back to try and take advantage of NPCs for cover. normally this wasn't as much of an issue because of the length between bonfires in other souls games but the shorter distance between bonfires, password changes etc means i've also encountered multiple hosts that just run back to resummon their friend after i manage to kill them.

in pve player damage is really high (and fast/safe WAs deal a lot of damage like with moonveil or the sword of night and flame) and boss damage is really high.

i feel like the game could do with a 30% reduction in damage late game across the board, or make the items that boost armor and defenses more meaningful.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I don't think it's supposed to look like this guys.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brandfarlig posted:

I haven't finished the game yet so maybe it does matter but I enjoy how Margit doesn't need a fake name at all. You have no idea who he is and little reason to care.

it's probably more for the sake of enemies like e.g. Gideon than for you

at least at that point :v:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Do you take more damage on horseback? I got whooped by Dragon Soldier, or whoever he is in Nokron on Torrent, he would literally 1-shot me. Beat him easy on foot though.

Maybe he was just doing a specific long ranger attack when I would try and kite him on horse though?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy lol wtf, i started a prophet, killed the lake dragon quick, took the heart and grabbed rotten breath and holy gently caress. with base stats, 0 upgrade on my casting thing, like level 11, it hit for nearly 800 damage and applied scarlet rot. and thats just rotten breath, not the upgraded dragon one.

arcane builds are lit

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I have 2 questions about the Table of Lost Grace. I have two elden rings and have revealed 2/3 or so of the map to give an idea of my progress.

1. Everybody left the table of lost grace. is this bad?

2. What's the deal with the plague guy next to to store on the left side? Is he related to question 1?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People seem to want a balance patch but I doubt that ever really happens.

The only bug balance thing they done is killed faith in two

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

I was kinda thinking about doing a faith caster on replay, shame it's not as viable. I had heard some positive hype about the beast claw spell and a few others from the network test

It's mostly fine until mid-late game where the damage starts to taper off. Lot of utility though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I'm 40 vigor, 50 strength. Endurance 40. I have made no effort prior to look up stat stuff, but now I am. I knew already about soft caps as a mechanic but only really paid attention to the vigor going to 40 thing. Endurance I looked up apparently I'm way over the soft cap, but I got way tired of not being able to equip certain things and still not be able to fast roll. Should I consider putting stuff into other stats? Am I gimping myself putting so much into strength? Should I start putting stuff into like int/faith? I also have never respecced, I still am just holding on to respec juice and could do that as well. I'm just not sure what to level up now each level. I haven't used any kind of magic, not that I really can, and I've just used two giant weapons my whole playthrough, I've just been trying to be a beefy large weapon boy. But I dunno if I should bother putting stuff in these high stats if the amount I'm getting each time isn't really worth it

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Ashes seem fine/smart for one thing: Mob-dense areas that aren't technically mandatory clears, but that due to the length of the game and the desire to explore, you might have to wipe a few times.

The problem I have with Spirit Ashes overall isn't that they're in themselves so overpowered, short of a select handful. It's that you stack them with strong offensive abilities, and now the game does actually become trivial. Take the Bloodhound + Crucible Knight fight - to do it short of kiting perfection, you need either high damage output or a way to split the aggro. Either one makes this a challenging but far from unreasonable fight. But put both together, and it is a pointless little joke. It wouldn't even take much adjusting to make this a pretty normal difficulty fight by yourself without hyperdamage. All it would take is to tweak hp a bit, split he boss spawn times a bit further apart and you're done.

There is no denying that there is simply too much busted poo poo for PvE in the game right now, and it's less a matter of Spirit Ashes alone, and more just a stack of upgradeables, Weapon Arts, status effects and spells that really do make it trivial.

Consider the standard sort of Margit fight for instance, where at early levels (15-20, no flask upgrades, +1 weapon at best) you could well go in with an Ash, even a summon, and still have a hard time. Because every element is scaled reasonably well: Ashes short of the Jellyfish will do damage in proportion with their survivability, the NPC summon will add to the HP but make aggro-splitting way easier and your own weapon won't let you chunk him just because he looks away for 2 seconds. The difficulty of the fight is then largely down to your proficiency with the game. Parry well and you can trivialize it, or get greedy regularly and you may simply hit a brick wall.

Now compare that to any later game fight, where suddenly your Spirit Ashes can take a real beating and even deal damage and status effects, and the boss turning its back on you long enough to start a jumping R2+WA+R1 will absolutely chunk it and get it near stagger. That is a million times too easy. And I don't think most bosses are even built with that in mind, definitely not the major story bosses. A few obnoxious dungeon bosses (triple rot crystallians) are just extremely tedious to fight without it, but the majority of bosses have absolutely no need for this nonsense. Attacks are consistently rollable and avoidable, and most of the perception otherwise comes from the fact that after the first section of the game, any player who doesn't want to learn a god drat thing does not have to.

Yeah unfortunately they let the complaints about accessibility/difficulty get to them, and made a FromSoft game for morons. The combat is overturned unless you're using ash summons or overpowered weapons, in which case its trivial.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CharlestheHammer posted:

They tapped a few things in 3 over time if I remember right and like, man is some of this just insane.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pollyanna posted:

Late game: do I really need to beat Draconic Tree Sentinel? The game is pushing me to go to a particular place and I can't find any other way in.

There's a back way in but it's pretty well hidden and requires 2-3 other boss fights in zones you may not have even visited/found yet:
Defeat Radahn to enter Nokron, then from there defeat the Valiant Gargoyles to get to the waterfall and access Deeproot Depths, then in Deeproot defeat Fia's Champions, then finally take the portal in the Champions' boss room and you'll end up just inside Leyndell, right past the Draconic Sentinel.

I think this also works to get into the capitol without needing two great runes but by the time you can beat all those bosses you can easily stomp Godrick's face in anyways.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I have 2 questions about the Table of Lost Grace. I have two elden rings and have revealed 2/3 or so of the map to give an idea of my progress.

2. What's the deal with the plague guy next to to store on the left side? Is he related to question 1?

1. It's plot, the table is kinda doomed

2. I assume you mean Dung Eater (the red guy), he's his own thing and has a quest chain. Start it by bringing him a Seedbed Curse (there are a few scattered around)

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 9, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I don't get how so many people accidentally lock themselves into the chaos ending? Not only does your grace waifu sternly warn you not to go past a certain point or you can't be bffs anymore, but don't you have to be completely naked to get past the door to meet the three fingers?

CharlestheHammer posted:

They fixed a bunch of stuff in 3 as well.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

1: Not necessarily. Most of them just go to other places for the sake of their quest lines.
2. Nope. He's weird and gross but you can't do anything with him until you reach a specific location and find a specific item in the capital city.

EDIT:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think this also works to get into the capitol without needing two great runes but by the time you can beat all those bosses you can easily stomp Godrick's face in anyways.

I was thinking on this last night, but can you even fight redman without getting at least one other great rune and starting the festival?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The stupid loving birds are the stupidest loving enemies in the game. It's like they saw dogs and how much everyone hated them and said "ok lets make an enemy thats even stupider and worse in every way."

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Going back to Sellia Crystal Tunnels for the first time since I got trapped there, but now with a +5 weapon and 50 more levels.

REMEMBER ME MOTHER FUCKERS?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Yeah unfortunately they let the complaints about accessibility/difficulty get to them, and made a FromSoft game for morons. The combat is overturned unless you're using ash summons or overpowered weapons, in which case its trivial.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

FungiCap posted:

Going back to Sellia Crystal Tunnels for the first time since I got trapped there, but now with a +5 weapon and 50 more levels.

REMEMBER ME MOTHER FUCKERS?

Exactly me until I reached the boss room and the game calmly said "yes I do remember you"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

This is a hilarious point because it makes two contradictory points in back to back sentences.

They made the game both to easy and to hard.

They shouldn’t make the game easier unless it’s easier in a way I’m comfortable with

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nuebot posted:

I was thinking on this last night, but can you even fight redman without getting at least one other great rune and starting the festival?

I am not sure on the details but from what I've heard, the festival starts once you visit Altus plateau, which you can do without killing any shardbearers or even any bosses at all.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I don't get how so many people accidentally lock themselves into the chaos ending? Not only does your grace waifu sternly warn you not to go past a certain point or you can't be bffs anymore, but don't you have to be completely naked to get past the door to meet the three fingers?

in my case i was actually going for that ending so it didn't matter, but if i have full or nearly full flask charges i touch grace points and move on instead of resting at each one. i didnt even know until after finishing the game that the approach to that point had cutscenes associated with it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
As much as I disliked the godskin duo fight single-player, it's really fun to put your co-op sign down there. You can rush the apostle and let your host suffer with fatty until you're done.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Nuebot posted:

They fixed a bunch of stuff in 3 as well.

1: Not necessarily. Most of them just go to other places for the sake of their quest lines.
2. Nope. He's weird and gross but you can't do anything with him until you reach a specific location and find a specific item in the capital city.

EDIT:

You have to get naked to get marked.

And yeah, saying that from doesn't do balance patches is "tell me you haven't played a souls game since 1 without telling me"

Whether or not it will be done well is another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No Wave posted:

As much as I disliked the godskin duo fight single-player, it's really fun to put your co-op sign down there. You can rush the apostle and let your host suffer with fatty until you're done.

I summoned a random sign for this and it was this dude with a katana that had an insane multi hit wind slash thing. He ANNIHILATED them for me.