Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

I recently purchased a new amplifier, Yamaha RX-V663 and now I’m a bit confused.
It has a lot different sound settings like “Dolby Digital Plus, Digital Surround Neo:6, Dolby Digital ex Pro logic IIx” etc. and I’d like to know what to use when I’m watching DVD-movies.

So far I’ve listened a bit of everything, unable to figure out which one sounds the best, or “the way it was meant to played back”.

I have a Audio pro 5.0 set of speakers and watching DVD-movies with dolby digital 5.1 sounds is what concerns me the most. For TV I use whatever and I don't have a blue ray yet.

Here are all the different options for sound modes the Yamaha offers:

Decoding Formats:
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital EX
DTS-HD Master Audio
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS Express
DTS Digital Surround
DTS 96/24
DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
Dolby Pro Logic
Dolby Pro Logic II (Music, Movie, and Game)
Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Music, Movie, and Game)
DTS Neo:6 (Music and Cinema)
Neural Surround

Hi-Fi DSP Modes:
Classical: Hall in Vienna, Hall in Munich, Chamber
Live/Club: Cellar Club, The Bottom Line, The Roxy Theatre
Stereo: 2-channel stereo, 7-channel stereo

Cinema DSP Modes:
Entertainment: Sports, Action Game, Role-playing Game, Music Video
Movie: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie
Virtual Cinema: enjoy virtual surround with two speakers
Compressed Music Enhancer: 2-channel Enhancer, 7-channel Enhancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cpt Thorne posted:

Here are all the different options for sound modes the Yamaha offers:

Decoding Formats:
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital Plus
[...]

Hi-Fi DSP Modes:
Classical: Hall in Vienna, Hall in Munich, Chamber
Live/Club: Cellar Club, The Bottom Line, The Roxy Theatre
Stereo: 2-channel stereo, 7-channel stereo

Cinema DSP Modes:
Entertainment: Sports, Action Game, Role-playing Game, Music Video
Movie: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie
Virtual Cinema: enjoy virtual surround with two speakers
Compressed Music Enhancer: 2-channel Enhancer, 7-channel Enhancer

The "Decoding Formats" list looks like a listing of what formats the receiver will accept. So never mind them.
As for the others, they are different audio processing presets. You can go with whatever sounds better to your ears. The "Adventure" mode, for example, probably cranks up the bass for more explosions, and "Drama" probably emphasizes speech frequencies (mid-range). Mostly it's marketing bullshit so they can say "it supports 240 sound presets" or whatever. Some of them seem to be downmixing to stereo, though, so avoid the ones marked "2-channel".

(Seriously, a roleplaying game mode?)

A question of my own:

Is there any considerable difference between the http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4865.asp and the http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4858.asp other than the fact the the 1910 does 7.1? I don't really care about bi-amping, multi-zone or Sirius (being in Europe).
I notice the 1610 doesn't upscale analog inputs to HD, but my TV does a fair job of that anyway so who cares.

What does "Punch Through Commands" mean when talking about a remote?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 27, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Cpt Thorne posted:

I recently purchased a new amplifier, Yamaha RX-V663 and now I’m a bit confused.
It has a lot different sound settings like “Dolby Digital Plus, Digital Surround Neo:6, Dolby Digital ex Pro logic IIx” etc. and I’d like to know what to use when I’m watching DVD-movies.

So far I’ve listened a bit of everything, unable to figure out which one sounds the best, or “the way it was meant to played back”.

I have a Audio pro 5.0 set of speakers and watching DVD-movies with dolby digital 5.1 sounds is what concerns me the most. For TV I use whatever and I don't have a blue ray yet.

How do you have the receiver wired up to your dvd player for audio? Are you using a digital connection (optical or coax), or just standard red/white analog RCA cables?

If you don't have it hooked up with a digital connection, you will only get stereo sound which limits you to the pseudo-surround modes like Dolby Pro Logic and DTS Neo:6

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

We're moving to a townhouse next week, and I was wondering what the best option would be for a sound system for a 10'x11' room with a 42" HDTV. I do not have high standards but want something that sounds halfway decent, I am looking to spend less than $300 if possible, and I am using the room primarily for TV shows (Verizon FIOS) and video games (PS3 and Wii). I know absolutely nothing about audio, so let me know if you need more information and if you could recommend a setup for me. If the $300 price point is too low, feel free to recommend your best bang for the buck setup. Thanks.

I posted this earlier and was recommended to do a stereo setup (I agree 5.1 would not be a good option for my situation).

Would this soundbar system be a good option: http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/sony-ht-ct100/4505-6740_7-32923460.html?tag=summaryRatings;edStars

It meets my price range, has received good reviews online, has the inputs necessary (HDMI for FIOS and PS3, analog for Wii) and has HDMI out to the TV.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

vanilla slimfast posted:

How do you have the receiver wired up to your dvd player for audio? Are you using a digital connection (optical or coax), or just standard red/white analog RCA cables?

If you don't have it hooked up with a digital connection, you will only get stereo sound which limits you to the pseudo-surround modes like Dolby Pro Logic and DTS Neo:6

I have an optical connection.

Thanks Hippie Hedgehog for the explanation.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
I currently have the following set up in my bedroom:

Panasonic G10 46 inch tv
Xbox 360
Popcorn hour
Comcast Digital Cable

So I'll be using this setup to watch movies from the popcorn hour/Xbox 360, play games and watch cable tv.

I'm looking for recommendations/reviews on a pair of speakers. I don't own an A/V receiver but I'm considering the Pioneer 1019. I don't have the space for a full surround sound setup, but I would like to have the ability to upgrade/add additional pieces in the future.

My combined budget for speakers/receiver is around $1500. Should I purchase a center channel speaker as well? Do I need a sub right now too?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Can someone tell me what sort of really great sub-1500$ audio set-up I can get? I'd like something not too big, as I'll be in a dorm, but I definitely want at least 6.1. This cost does not include the DVD-A/SACD player.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 30, 2009

dadozer
Jul 14, 2006

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S7200-7-1-Channel-Theater-Package/dp/B002DSFM3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249000310&sr=8-1

This is a pretty drat decent HTIB, which includes one of the most popular receivers in the receiver thread and a full 7.1 setup.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Cool, thanks!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I personally wouldn't bother with surround sound in a dorm room, there's just too many pieces and wires to deal with and also you have to move it twice a year.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Is there a way to hook headphones up to my TV? I'd like to be able to hear my Xbox at night without waking up my wife.

I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm not sure where to start. All I want is no sound out of the TV, but normal sound in the headphones.

Is this possible?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Is there a way to hook headphones up to my TV? I'd like to be able to hear my Xbox at night without waking up my wife.

I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm not sure where to start. All I want is no sound out of the TV, but normal sound in the headphones.

Is this possible?
Plug headphones into your Xbox's analog audio output. If it doesn't have the 3.5mm jack you need, buy a converter. You may need a headphone amp. Probably won't. I've never owned an Xbox or seen the back of one, so I can't tell you for sure. I'm guessing it has two RCA jacks, and you'd need to buy a dual RCA to 3.5mm stereo converter. The idea is you should be taking audio from your Xbox, not your TV. I'm sure it an analog out. Someone who has an Xbox should be able to clarify/correct this.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 2, 2009

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Dominoes posted:

Plug headphones into your Xbox's analog audio output. If it doesn't have the 3.5mm jack you need, buy a converter. You may need a headphone amp. Probably won't. I've never owned an Xbox or seen the back of one, so I can't tell you for sure. I'm guessing it has two RCA jacks, and you'd need to buy a dual RCA to 3.5mm stereo converter. The idea is you should be taking audio from your Xbox, not your TV. I'm sure it an analog out. Someone who has an Xbox should be able to clarify/correct this.

"Mr. Madison, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. Nowhere in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

The XBox units have a multi-IO port on the back that requires a breakout box or cable in order to get to any signal. There's no 3.5mm jack, the only analog audio output is line-level, usually in the form of a cable.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Is this possible?

Depends on how your xbox (you didn't specify, original or 360? Assuming 360) is hooked up to your television. If you're using the red/white RCA jacks for audio, you'll need to get a headphone amp that you could use.

There are kits for this, usually marketed toward watching TV in bed at night while your spouse is asleep. Lots of them have built-in amps. The quality's not great, but honestly if you're playing xbox with the sound going straight to your TV anyway, you probably won't notice the difference.

fahrvergnugen fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 2, 2009

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Every TV I've ever seen has had a perfectly useable headphone connector in them, it would be the easiest solution.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Saukkis posted:

Every TV I've ever seen has had a perfectly useable headphone connector in them, it would be the easiest solution.

My TV doesn't have a headphone plug anywhere. I've checked repeatedly.

fahrvergnugen posted:

Depends on how your xbox (you didn't specify, original or 360? Assuming 360) is hooked up to your television. If you're using the red/white RCA jacks for audio, you'll need to get a headphone amp that you could use.

There are kits for this, usually marketed toward watching TV in bed at night while your spouse is asleep. Lots of them have built-in amps. The quality's not great, but honestly if you're playing xbox with the sound going straight to your TV anyway, you probably won't notice the difference.

It is an Xbox 360, and I do use the red/white/yellow plug to hook it up to the TV. So I should head to my local electronics store and ask for a TV headphone kit? How much should I expect to pay for those?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Zombie Guy posted:

It is an Xbox 360, and I do use the red/white/yellow plug to hook it up to the TV. So I should head to my local electronics store and ask for a TV headphone kit? How much should I expect to pay for those?

No, what you would want is something like this and then something like this so that you can actually connect the headphones.

This isn't something you actually want to do, of course. Hooking the audio out from the 360 directly to your headphones will give you exactly no volume control, unless you're using a cheap pair with an in-line control. Odds are you'll get really low output levels. The easiest thing to do would be to hook the 360's audio outs into a shelf system or boom box or something with an audio input, and just use the headphone jack on that.

What model TV are you using? I assume it's not an HDTV since you're using the composite connection for video.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Schpyder posted:

The easiest thing to do would be to hook the 360's audio outs into a shelf system or boom box or something with an audio input, and just use the headphone jack on that.

What model TV are you using? I assume it's not an HDTV since you're using the composite connection for video.

http://www.citizen-electronics.com/citizen/en/product/details/ZZIE520 This is the kind of TV I have. (Yeah it's tiny and crappy. Shaddap!)

I can't do a hook-up through a stereo, because I don't have one. Yeah... So I guess I'll need to hook something from the 360 to the headphones?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The Zombie Guy posted:

http://www.citizen-electronics.com/citizen/en/product/details/ZZIE520 This is the kind of TV I have. (Yeah it's tiny and crappy. Shaddap!)

I can't do a hook-up through a stereo, because I don't have one. Yeah... So I guess I'll need to hook something from the 360 to the headphones?

It's kinda like getting a swiss army knife when you need a nailfile, but, the cheapest audio mixer you could come across could suit your need pretty well and be useful in other ways, too.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHXENTX502

Just a simple mixer, but, itd allow you to have it wired up to where it was still output to your TV, as well as having two sources input to it, control all the volumes, and power headphones as well from, without having to dick with wires every time you wanted to change where the audio was going.

Just an idea.

Edit: You might need six of these, too: http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-inch-Male-Female-Adapter/dp/B001S0JZNO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249284256&sr=8-11

Sniep fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 3, 2009

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm looking to replace my existing Onkyo receiver with a newer model, mainly so I can utilize HDMI. I have a HTPC, PS3, and 360 all sitting under my TV, and I am frankly done with loving component cables. It's a giant rat nest behind my TV, and trying to do anything in there is aggravating as hell.

Can anyone recommend a receiver? I'm looking in the budget to mid-range price. I don't really need any fancy features (like iPod integration, music streaming, network capability, etc).

Also, my new house has a rectangle shaped living room. Due to two of the walls being taken up by windows/doors, we placed the tv in the corner of the room. Where do I need to put my surround/rear speakers in such a configuration?

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Would 3.1 be a huge upgrade over 2.1? I am deaf in one ear so have no interest in surround sound(rears) but was thinking about adding a center.

I have 2 Polk Monitor 30's and a half decent sub that came in a theater in a HTiB. Was thinking about getting the CS1, it would fit perfectly in the spot between my two bookshelves. Worth doing or is it a waste?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

EC posted:

I'm looking to replace my existing Onkyo receiver with a newer model, mainly so I can utilize HDMI. I have a HTPC, PS3, and 360 all sitting under my TV, and I am frankly done with loving component cables. It's a giant rat nest behind my TV, and trying to do anything in there is aggravating as hell.

Can anyone recommend a receiver? I'm looking in the budget to mid-range price. I don't really need any fancy features (like iPod integration, music streaming, network capability, etc).

Also, my new house has a rectangle shaped living room. Due to two of the walls being taken up by windows/doors, we placed the tv in the corner of the room. Where do I need to put my surround/rear speakers in such a configuration?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2869085

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I got a home video on dvd with speaking and stuff, I want to add music to the background. SO you can hear music and the talking above it. how could I go about doing this?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Sniep posted:

It's kinda like getting a swiss army knife when you need a nailfile, but, the cheapest audio mixer you could come across could suit your need pretty well and be useful in other ways, too.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHXENTX502

Thanks, I'll try this!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Excellent thanks!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Femur posted:

I got a home video on dvd with speaking and stuff, I want to add music to the background. SO you can hear music and the talking above it. how could I go about doing this?

You would need video editing and/or dvd authoring software

edit: probably a better question asked in sh/sc

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Quick question from someone who probably should know better.

I'm investing in a Denon 1610 and an entry-level 2.1 speaker setup. The receiver I wanted was out of stock, so my delivery's on hold until next week. Now, of course the saleman wanted to sell me speaker cables and also said I should get a "proper subwoofer cable", which would be a fancy 1-to-1 RCA cable, of course some "high-grade" expensive poo poo (not Monster but close).

Of course, I've declined that offer, but I just wanted the goon opinion since I'd never heard of a "subwoofer cable" but now I'm googling for it they seem to be sold in a lot of places. I'm thinking since it's line-level we're talking about I should be fine with one of these, but am I wrong?

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm thinking since it's line-level we're talking about I should be fine with one of these, but am I wrong?

That cable is perfectly fine. From my understanding, the cable quality means even less for a subwoofer due to the low frequencies it handles.

I had an extra digital coaxial cable lying around so I used that. I think thats what some brands like MONSTER relabel as a subwoofer cable.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I just wanted the goon opinion since I'd never heard of a "subwoofer cable" but now I'm googling for it they seem to be sold in a lot of places. I'm thinking since it's line-level we're talking about I should be fine with one of these, but am I wrong?

Yeah. All subwoofer / digital coax cables are just RG6 with a nice connector on the end. That one works great.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I came home today to find that that power had apparently went out. No big surprise there, but when I powered on my PS3 I didn't get any sound. After a bit of troubleshooting, I've narrowed it down to the receiver: it won't play any sound to the speakers unless the "Listening Mode" is set to "Direct". I have an Onkyo receiver that was purchased a few years ago as part of an HTIB set.

I've never seen this behavior before. I've checked that the speakers are connected, that I've got the correct speaker set selected, right audio channels, right digital input selected for each video input...it seems really weird. The moment that the receiver goes to Stereo or one of the surround modes (which it automatically does according to the input) I get zilch from the speakers.

Edit: I should add that I get the same behavior from the PS3 (using optical) to the 360 (RCA) to the HTPC (optical).

Edit2: Okay, cleared the settings and that seemed to work. Of course, now it's not auto-switching the audio mode, but I can figure that out from the manual.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 6, 2009

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
If I suspect a speaker might have an issue (slight distortion or vibration sounds) how do I test them? I can't seem to easily produce the distortions, and I really know very little about troubleshooting speakers, aside from plugging them into different channels in the receiver and making sure they still work.

Solar Cuckulator
Mar 14, 2008

hay guys lets smoke!!:havlat:
Not sure if this is where to ask it...

It seems like every month or two i buy a new set of ear buds. No matter what, they always break pretty soon after i buy them. I don't care that much about sound quality, so; are there any particularly durable ear buds i could get? Preferably something relatively cheap so i won't get broken up if my cats chew through the cord (this isn't how they normally break)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I recently picked up the Sony STR-DG820, which I know is not the best receiver, but I got it for about $250 so I'm happy with it. I also picked up the Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround system to go with it. My problem now is, I need a subwoofer to go with the system.

I really am completely new to home theatre stuff, so I don't know a whole lot, but anything in the $350 or less range would be good. I don't know if there's any brand darlings in TA/VA or what.

EDIT: Another quick question, are banana plugs worth the trouble? It seems like a major pain in the rear end to solder them on.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 13, 2009

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Moist von Lipwig posted:

EDIT: Another quick question, are banana plugs worth the trouble? It seems like a major pain in the rear end to solder them on.

You can get screw-on banana plugs. I think they're only worth it if you need to unplug your cables fairly often.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do screw-on banana plugs on the receiver end of my speaker wire so I can more easily pull the receiver out for cleaning and such. Plus I'm using 12awg wire and it gets crowded trying to screw them all down.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

qirex posted:

I do screw-on banana plugs on the receiver end of my speaker wire so I can more easily pull the receiver out for cleaning and such. Plus I'm using 12awg wire and it gets crowded trying to screw them all down.

Okay, I'll see if I can pick some up for cheap. Does gold really make a huge difference?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Okay, I'll see if I can pick some up for cheap. Does gold really make a huge difference?

Gold plating is just for making sure your plugs don't corrode over the years. It doesn't make any difference to the audio quality.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
I recently got a motherboard with an HDA port (Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3), and I hooked it up to my case with a headphone out port. I was wondering if this audio was on par with that of the headphone port of a Chaintech AV-710 with the 96kHz Wolfson DAC line out. Any input?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Caedar posted:

I recently got a motherboard with an HDA port (Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3), and I hooked it up to my case with a headphone out port. I was wondering if this audio was on par with that of the headphone port of a Chaintech AV-710 with the 96kHz Wolfson DAC line out. Any input?
Probably not. High Definition Audio just means that it follows the newer spec instead of the old AC97, I don't think it makes any quarantees about the actual audio quality.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm looking for a recommendation.

I'm speaker shopping, upper limit is $350/pair. I'm just looking for some small bookshelf's for 2.1 with a Velodyne SPL-1000 and Denon AVR-1909. My living room is about 15'x16'. Hoping to find something that will become rear channels when I move into a larger place.

My top choice at the moment are Paradigm Atom's, the local audiophile shop sells them for ~$160/each.

Can anyone suggest something better in that price range? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

MMD3 posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation.

I'm speaker shopping, upper limit is $350/pair. I'm just looking for some small bookshelf's for 2.1 with a Velodyne SPL-1000 and Denon AVR-1909. My living room is about 15'x16'. Hoping to find something that will become rear channels when I move into a larger place.

My top choice at the moment are Paradigm Atom's, the local audiophile shop sells them for ~$160/each.

Can anyone suggest something better in that price range? Thanks.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-960
http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-C603-Range-Compact-Speakers/dp/B00120Y3MS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250405880&sr=8-3
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/store/Speakers/33/144906/9_3_-1_84__0_0_0_-1/

all great deals