Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Man, I can't loving wait until winter break. Gonna be heading back down to my house and picking up all my tools since my friend is done with his engine swap. I'll be able to completely rewire and waterproof every electrical connection on my bike for the winter and properly torque every bolt on the bike (Suzuki uses foot pounds- not inch pounds- right? :ohdear: ).

Having to borrow tools absolutely sucks.

On that note, anybody have a detailed guide on how to properly tension a chain for a first gen? The problem is that people say it needs about 1" of chain slack but I don't know if they're referring to the overall play of the chain or what. :saddowns:

I think that means that the chain should move up and down about 1/2" in each direction. It shouldn't have 1" of slack in the chain, although I'd be willing to watch someone ride a bike with a chain setup like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you gently press down on the chain, and gently lift it to the top of it's run, measuring from top of the chain to top of the chain, you should have about 1 inch of total travel.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks a ton. I'm hoping it is within spec right now but just to make sure I'm gonna measure tomorrow morning. If it's not, what's the best way to measure 42ftlbs for the wheel nut without a torque wrench offhand? RFT?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

Thanks a ton. I'm hoping it is within spec right now but just to make sure I'm gonna measure tomorrow morning. If it's not, what's the best way to measure 42ftlbs for the wheel nut without a torque wrench offhand? RFT?

I use a half inch breaker bar and when I start really having to get my weight into it call it good. 42 foot pounds isn't actually all that much with a breaker bar.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-ha...r:referralID=NA

Even a cheap one will do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Or you can go oldschool beam type. That type is ok for stuff that gets lotta torques.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CGNhGkqM-E

Here's a video on GSXR fork swaps I found. It's pretty good so I figure you would all like to see it!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Xovaan posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CGNhGkqM-E

Here's a video on GSXR fork swaps I found. It's pretty good so I figure you would all like to see it!

I had always thought it would be a big pain in the rear end to do, then I did it on the track bike. Took under half an hour and was really easy. Now I just need to put the rest of the bike back together.

Downside is I ended up buying two front ends (long story) and I'm kind of tempted to put one on the commuter.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011
So I tightened my chain and managed to pull this off without my bike exploding.

But I'm pretty sure there's a difference of about 1/32 of an inch between the measurements on both sides. Is that okay? I feel like I need to get some sort of space age machine to eliminate human error. I am not mechanically inclined either which made it take about 2 hours for me to do.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Edit: wrong thread

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sicarii posted:

So I tightened my chain and managed to pull this off without my bike exploding.

But I'm pretty sure there's a difference of about 1/32 of an inch between the measurements on both sides. Is that okay? I feel like I need to get some sort of space age machine to eliminate human error. I am not mechanically inclined either which made it take about 2 hours for me to do.

1/32nd of a difference on the axle adjusters?

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

Z3n posted:

1/32nd of a difference on the axle adjusters?

Between the axle nuts and the bolt in the middleish of the frame.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sicarii posted:

Between the axle nuts and the bolt in the middleish of the frame.

Line the hash marks up on the swingarm rather than measuring to the swingarm pivot. Much easier :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Line the hash marks up on the swingarm rather than measuring to the swingarm pivot. Much easier :)

Once you've done that you can finetune by feel. Go ride it at ~10mph and get your hands off the handlebars and see if the bike veers off a bit. Adjust the tensioners until your bike doesn't do that.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
This probably doesn't need more explaining, but just in case:
When your wheel is yawed left, your bike will drift to the right and vice versa.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

Once you've done that you can finetune by feel. Go ride it at ~10mph and get your hands off the handlebars and see if the bike veers off a bit. Adjust the tensioners until your bike doesn't do that.

Unless it's really severe, I can't see this being a good metric. Mainly because I can get the bike to easily veer one direction or another at 10mph with just gentle body weight inputs, and it's easy to give those unintentionally. You can measure alignment with string or you can do what I do and just line up the hash marks consistently on both sides and go ride.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Z3n posted:

Unless it's really severe, I can't see this being a good metric. Mainly because I can get the bike to easily veer one direction or another at 10mph with just gentle body weight inputs, and it's easy to give those unintentionally. You can measure alignment with string or you can do what I do and just line up the hash marks consistently on both sides and go ride.

I read somewhere that the hash marks can be off quite a bit sometimes, so I did the string method on my SV last time I changed the rear rubber. It took me a little while to get the hang of it, but once you do it once its so easy. And then you know its right at least.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
If you're too good for hashmarks, here's a cheapo tool you can make in 5 minutes:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_adjust_chain/rear_wheel_alignment%3F

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just fixed my kick stand! There was only one spring instead of the two-part spring gizmo that attaches to the hook. Oh, and it wasn't even the OEM spring. :rolleyes: Now it's perfect and the bike doesn't have any weird stalling issues. Monday is a long-overdue oil change and swapping out the tires for Pilot Road 3's so the bike rides straight at speed since the previous owner rode it with 6psi and ground it nearly car-tire-flat! :v:

Next up:

1. Wait for a gentleman on SVrider to ship me his extra McMaster Carr insulated bolt clamps to mount my 7" round headlight and sell my DDM tuning HID kit

2. Drive eight hours to San Diego to pick up my tools (including a multimeter, torque wrench, heat gun + electrical kit, every socket imaginable, and of course a million zip ties). Somewhere during this time also celebrate White People Jesus's birthday and get some goddamned motherfucking carne asada fries. Goddamn.

3. Drive eight hours back to Santa Cruz to re-splice every plier-crimped connector on the bike and waterproof the splices.

4. Possibly get a new triple so I can mount the ignition properly.

5. Paint the bike white. Oh yes.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Headed out to give this a look today or tomorrow for a friend as her first bike.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/2740571083.html

Any trouble in particular I should look for with the older SV's?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That thing looks like it had its mirrors broken off, leaving Martian stalks.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

the walkin dude posted:

That thing looks like it had its mirrors broken off, leaving Martian stalks.
Yeah, turns out the guy doesn't even have a key for it, but had a locksmith who was gonna make one this week, but it ran perfectly the last time he had a key. Also said it needs a new gas cap, which I think is french for "rusty gas tank". Moving on.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yes yes yes yes. Pilot Road 3's on bike. No more shaved back tire causing me to look like I don't know how to keep a motorized bicycle in a straight line!

Now hopefully I can break these in without lowsiding. :ohdear:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Xovaan posted:

Yes yes yes yes. Pilot Road 3's on bike. No more shaved back tire causing me to look like I don't know how to keep a motorized bicycle in a straight line!

New tire day is the happiest motorcycling day! Its like the bike suddenly learned to turn in again!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Xovaan posted:

A bunch of weaving with increasing tightness will fix that right up.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I woke up to my entire bike encased with ice like out of a Hollywood SciFi movie. And the road completely frozen. No weaving today. :(

(I still road it though. In 30 degree weather. Used my exhaust to un-freeze my fingertips at stoplights. Like a loving boss.)

Now I just need to sell some old audio equipment so I can afford Z3n's sharkskin race fairings. :D

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
So ride the bike to lunch today. Now it won't start. The starter spins but nothing happens. Help me CA.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

invision posted:

So ride the bike to lunch today. Now it won't start. The starter spins but nothing happens. Help me CA.

Out of gas? Check safety switches, although they should cut the starter on an SV too.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Well, I should say that the starter spins but the engine doesn't turn over. Starter clutch?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Most likely. The same thing happened to my ex500 when the starter sprocket sheared.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

invision posted:

Well, I should say that the starter spins but the engine doesn't turn over. Starter clutch?

Can you push start it to at least get home? Also, could be a sprag failure as AncientTV mentions, could also be that there's a bad spot and putting it in gear and bumping the engine forward or back a bit will get it to go.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

It refused to bump start earlier, so we had to truck it home. :(

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

invision posted:

Probably not. Got a sound recording or even better a video of this?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Sorry about the lovely video. I was trying to hold the clutch and press the starter. The point of the video is obviously to hear what it sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHh5MglWym8&feature=g-upl

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Went ahead and took the left engine cover off. Besides the clutch cable being a pain in the rear end to get off, it went pretty smoothly.

I'm able to spin the gears that connect the starter and the starter clutch counter-clockwise with a little bit of effort. It will not spin clockwise.

I can't find a write-up on this problem, so anything helps.

e:Pulled the allen-key rotor cover off and pulled the plugs. hit the starter, and the rotor doesn't spin.

God the starter clutch assembly is expensive.

invision fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 11, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

invision posted:

Went ahead and took the left engine cover off. Besides the clutch cable being a pain in the rear end to get off, it went pretty smoothly.

I'm able to spin the gears that connect the starter and the starter clutch counter-clockwise with a little bit of effort. It will not spin clockwise.

I can't find a write-up on this problem, so anything helps.

e:Pulled the allen-key rotor cover off and pulled the plugs. hit the starter, and the rotor doesn't spin.

God the starter clutch assembly is expensive.

Did you check that you don't have damaged gears between the motor and the starter sprag gear?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

invision posted:

Correct operation won't allow you to spin the clutch clockwise, so that's ok.

I watched your video a few times, but couldn't quite determine whether the noise was starter clutch, starter motor or damaged gears between starter motor and sprag.

Sadly, my vote is starter clutch. Watched again, and I don't think it's the starter motor.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Thought this was kind of fitting:

Anyways, checked all of the teeth, and they're all fine.

Went back out to the garage today and I was able to spin it in bothdirections.

Is there a good write-up on getting the starter clutch out of the bike? My shop manual is pretty much "Just remove it."

This is what I think needs to happen, but I'm not sure, so I'm posting it here:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
If you're trying to remove the flywheel, you actually have to use a beefy impact driver (or use a chain wrench to immobilize the flywheel and a breaker bar on the bolt) and remove this bolt, it's also probably reverse threaded:

and then use a flywheel puller to pop the assembly off. The sprag is attached to said flywheel.

Note: This is how it was on my old ex500, I'm not sure if the process will be entirely the same. 2 cents and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bike is leaking fuel :smith:

This thing is loving cursed. I just wanna sell it and get another one. loving previous owner was completely dishonest about the integrity of this thing. Gonna break his legs eventually. Obligated to.

Anyway, gotta figure out what the gently caress is leaking... seems to be dripping from the choke cable. Internet says it could be a stuck float but I'm not sure... what's the simplest way to clean this? Do I have to really pull the entire unit? I might just have a shop do it... don't think I'll have time to do it myself before I head to San Diego. :(

Might take out an auto loan and get a newer bike. Don't know what yet though. Maybe another SV650, maybe something a bit more sport-tourer like. Maybe even a GSXR600. Who knows. Any suggestions on what I should do in this situation?

• Locked thread