Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Hatchet 2 was good, I thought it was a little slow to begin but once it gets going it gets going. Some of the kills are insane! I could of done with a little bit of cat and mouse though, lakes the stalk. Has a hilarious sex scene :)

8/10

Primal was also decent, good plot and gore and decent suspence, let down by some terrible dialog and cheesy effects.

7/10

EDIT: Also Tony Todd was there and he said he's flying off to film Final Destination 5.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeyman1138
Sep 4, 2004
Not there yet, as I've only got tickets for Sunday and Monday, but has there been any word/rumours at the event itself about what's replacing "A Serbian Film"? I bet the BBFC representative at the Video Nasties panel is going to be facing some ire regarding that!

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

frozenpeas posted:

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU'VE NOT SEEN IT YET!
edit: Thinking about it I really loved that The extremely unpleasant "Christian" message was completely subverted by having a bunch of mountain magicians create an invincible monster that killed atheists. If there had been anything righteous about it then it would have been repulsive but the schlocky, hysterical tone cast doubt on the sincerity of the message and made it, in retrospect, very sarcastic. This goes double considering that the main character, having solidified her faith throughout the movie, at the end, looks like she's ready to throw it all away to play mother to a satanic host if it means keeping her daughter.
I dunno. I'd like to think the message was intentionally ironic but I don't think so. I also don't think it was meant to be mean-spirited, just that [spoiler]it was religious horror and loss of faith is a pretty typical theme of that subgenre.

I will say that I genuinely liked the movie. I was kind of creepy at times but I never found it outright scary. But it was slick and well-produced, with some nice cinematography. And the acting was really solid all around-- even from the little girl.

I dunno. I mean, I really did like it. But at the same time the unavoidable message is that science is evil and ignorance and religious dogma-- a very strict Old Testament-style religious dogma at that-- is good. Otherwise God will see to it that you get proper hosed-- no matter what your reasons or what kind of a person you are. No matter how good a movie is, it's hard for something like that not to leave a bad taste in your mouth. I have the same conflicted feelings with the anti-individual, anti-capitalist message implied in Drag Me To Hell-- a movie which I absolutely love despite my discomfort.

Anyway, like I said, I honestly did like it very much. I'll watch it again at some point, I'm sure. But the fact that the message is utterly ridiculous does undercut it a little. That, and that the twist is somewhat incoherent.

But despite all that, I really did like it. I swear. I'm not being disingenuous or anything. I think in the end it's a good horror movie that's well worth checking out.

Oh wait, one last thing: did anyone else find it a little funny that Moore's character opens the movie by declaring that split personality disorder is complete bullshit that's been dismissed by modern psychology; yet when she first meets Adam or whatever the gently caress we're supposed to call him, she pulls out loving Rorschach inkblot cards? That's like going, "Homeopathy is bullshit. Now, let me do a Tarot reading for you."

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Slasherfan posted:

Hatchet 2 was good, I thought it was a little slow to begin but once it gets going it gets going. Some of the kills are insane! I could of done with a little bit of cat and mouse though, lakes the stalk. Has a hilarious sex scene :)

8/10

Primal was also decent, good plot and gore and decent suspence, let down by some terrible dialog and cheesy effects.

7/10

EDIT: Also Tony Todd was there and he said he's flying off to film Final Destination 5.

How did you like Hatchet 1 in comparison to the second. I ask just because I absolutely hated the first one but I know some liked it so that would colour opinions on this new one.

Also I will see anything with Tony Todd in it so I guess I'm seeing FD5! Or Fivnal Destination.

edit: on a non-interesting personal note I realized at some point that horror movies are my favourite and I'll cut them a lot more slack than others if there's something good about them at all. sort of strange actually picking out a single genre I like the most.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Technetium posted:

How did you like Hatchet 1 in comparison to the second. I ask just because I absolutely hated the first one but I know some liked it so that would colour opinions on this new one.

I'm with you. After listening to F13:New Blood's commentary JC Buechler and Kane Hodder seem like two fat fratboys who like to high five. And this movie is like the culmination of their horror circle jerk.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

UncleMonkey posted:

I dunno. I mean, I really did like it. But at the same time the unavoidable message is that science is evil and ignorance and religious dogma-- a very strict Old Testament-style religious dogma at that-- is good. Otherwise God will see to it that you get proper hosed-- no matter what your reasons or what kind of a person you are. No matter how good a movie is, it's hard for something like that not to leave a bad taste in your mouth. I have the same conflicted feelings with the anti-individual, anti-capitalist message implied in Drag Me To Hell-- a movie which I absolutely love despite my discomfort.

I completely agree with you, but I really didn't feel like the movie was pushing any kind of agenda on you. It was just batshit insane horror for horror's sake, and it drew from a variety of sources to achieve that.

Really though, think about it There was no greater conflict going on. It wasn't religion vs science on a grand scale - it was a small scale story of revenge. Granny created a soulless monster that takes the souls of others and wears them. If anything the movie is saying that religion can be used by assholes for their own evil purposes. Seriously, what WAS the God of that movie? Some Gnostic God punishing lapsed Christians?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Kinda awesome viral marketing for The Last Exorcism http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNSaurw6E_Q&feature=player_embedded

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Honest Thief posted:

Kinda awesome viral marketing for The Last Exorcism http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNSaurw6E_Q&feature=player_embedded

That is the best use of Chatroulette I've ever seen.

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.
I saw The Last Excorcism earlier today and I really enjoyed it up until the very last few minutes. The satanic cult kinda comes out of nowhere and Cotton and the film crew are killed by them. It felt like they didn't know what to do with the rest of the movie and made the ending at the last minute.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

IXCE posted:

I saw The Last Excorcism earlier today and I really enjoyed it up until the very last few minutes. The satanic cult kinda comes out of nowhere and Cotton and the film crew are killed by them. It felt like they didn't know what to do with the rest of the movie and made the ending at the last minute.

My friends and I agreed that if they would have ended it with them driving away from the house after her sexy-times reveal in the bedroom (and never entering the restaurant/diner) that it would have been the perfect ending with quite the unique twist. But no, they had to end it with them being dumb as poo poo, going back to the crazy house at night, entering a dark forest unarmed, Nell actually being possessed and pregnant with the demon's baby, and getting killed by a crazy "GET THE BITCH!" cult. It was a lovely twist on a great one and it was totally unnecessary.

It was a drat good movie up until those last five minutes. It went from a 4/5 to a 2/5 for me once they threw the dumb cult poo poo into the mix.

And to really top it off: "THAT'S NOT HUMAN!"

McGoohan!
Apr 7, 2010
The ending does kinda come out of nowhere. But they do set it up when they're interviewing the townspeople earlier in the movie. One or two of them mention the cult. Overall I really dug the movie, but the mockumentary thing has gotten really old.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Nell looked just like Michael Cera.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

McGoohan! posted:

The ending does kinda come out of nowhere. But they do set it up when they're interviewing the townspeople earlier in the movie. One or two of them mention the cult. Overall I really dug the movie, but the mockumentary thing has gotten really old.

Yeah, I definitely remembered that right away. It just didn't seem to match the rest of the movie, you know? Up until then the characters seemed to make reasonably smart decisions and then, even with the explanation from earlier in the film, the ending seemed really rushed and tossed it. It would have been a great film if they would have ended it with the first "blowing job" twist.

Ten bucks says some big time executive added that bullshit scene to the ending.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just saw The Last Exorcism and I thought it was loving awesome. I'm pretty tired of the mockumentary genre, however I was willing to give this a shot, and I think they managed to pull it off without doing all the annoying bullshit I hate.

I know the ending's gonna be really divisive, but I personally loved it. I would have been happy with the ending before the "twist" as well, but I ended up having a big grin on my face for the final 5 minutes.

Also, did I mention how much I love the Arclight? We're walking out of the theater as the movie ended, and lo and behold Eli Roth and the entire cast are standing in the lobby greeting everyone as they walked out. Turns out they were in the audience the entire time. The actress who plays Nell looks a lot more attractive all dolled up. I complimented her on that 2nd exorcism scene, and she said "thanks, it definitely hurt."

McGoohan!
Apr 7, 2010
It didn't feel tacked on to me, but it did feel poorly thought out. The ending was a hard turn because of the rest of the movie being a really solid little thriller and then loving Wicker Man out of nowhere. But it didn't ruin the rest of the movie.

To tie in with my earlier post, the ending is kind of representative about what I hate about these fake documentary horror films. they all end the same godamn way. Everythings normal and kinda creepy and stuff then in the last 30 seconds everything goes to poo poo, the cameraman dies and the camera falls and there's some out of focus jackass

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
The Last Exorcism only cost $1.8 million and its going to get 23 million on its first weekend, big hit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stop saying mockumentary you sons of bitches, it's found footage.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ Call it by the best name to call these dumb movies, Blair Witch wannabes.

I must admit I hope this trend dies off soon and doesn't become popular again till after I'm in my grave. Every single one of these types of movies has 3-4 scenes that are somewhat interesting(to me) and the rest of the movie is setting up a 4 and a half minute ending sequence.

Paranormal Activity was probably the worst offender in recent memory. Where a great editor could have cut that movie down to 30 edge-of-your-seat minutes, or a great writer could have made the filler parts into something significantly interesting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Korak posted:

^^^ Call it by the best name to call these dumb movies, Blair Witch wannabes.

Blair Witch is hardly the first or best movie to do it, this is even dumber, gently caress you.

If you want a good example, watch Home Movie or Home Video or whatever it's called. It's about two parents (one of whom played Nathan on Heroes) raising their twins in hte country and the kids are starting to display some frightening tendencies.

Is the whole movie a set-up for the last twenty minutes? Yes. Without a doubt yes. But it works. The last scene, and the last shots in particular, are just loving scary

Also if you don't think that Blair Witch was an hour and a half of set-up for the scene in the cabin you're dumb

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Dickeye posted:

Also if you don't think that Blair Witch was an hour and a half of set-up for the scene in the cabin you're dumb

Cool theory except its stupid and could be shoe-horned into any narrative with a conclusion to the story?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SexyGoofTroopGrl posted:

Cool theory except its stupid and could be shoe-horned into any narrative with a conclusion to the story?

That was kinda my point?

What I'm saying is, going "well it was all just set-up for the end!" is possibly the worst criticism you could make, and the weakest

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 28, 2010

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Dickeye posted:

That was kinda my point?

Ah, I just read the post you were replying to... agreed mostly, but I think Blair Witch is probably the easiest to forgive for the set up because it's genuinely suspenseful/scary, like REC (compared to something like PA or cloverfield)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I dunno I thought Paranormal's night scenes did a great job being scary, and ramping it up as the movie went on. You start with the door swinging and footsteps, and you end up with a lady being dragged out of bed and killing her boyfriend.

Put it this way: That's the only movie that I've driven home from, at night, where I kept checking the backseat expecting something to jump out and kill me

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Dickeye posted:

I dunno I thought Paranormal's night scenes did a great job being scary, and ramping it up as the movie went on. You start with the door swinging and footsteps, and you end up with a lady being dragged out of bed and killing her boyfriend.

I have a contentious relationship with the film because I was truly disappointed the first time I saw it (I wasn't even a victim of the hype, I was genuinely ready to give in and be scared / was hoping to have my Blair Witch experience be evoked). The second time I watched it I had a little more fun with it because I wasn't expecting much, and I think the ending I saw that time was a bit superior. My biggest gripe was that the characterization did a fantastic job of making me root for the demon; I understand the couple is purposefully unlikable, but it almost devolved into parody I thought. The ouija board scene really made my eyes roll out of my head, too.

I think the premise is fantastic and a film in the same youtube-scare-vid mindset (the sequel?) could really get me..

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What ending did you see each time? I'm gonna be honest, the best ending is the one they shot for theaters and didn't use, where she comes back upstairs and opens her throat

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Dickeye posted:

What ending did you see each time? I'm gonna be honest, the best ending is the one they shot for theaters and didn't use, where she comes back upstairs and opens her throat

I'm fairy certain the OG ending I saw was the jump scare one (fun for the theater but thematically bankrupt) while the one I watched at home had her kill herself and crumple to the floor before the camera cut. I've seen the police ending too, which was unique but didn't quite mesh. The suicide ending is definitely the only one that 'works' in the film's favor, IMO

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Who's saying these "mock documentary" movies are all just a set up for the ending shot? [REC], Cloverfield, Blair Witch, Behind the Mask, Man Bites Dog and to a lesser extent Paranormal Activity were all pretty entertaining the entire movie or actually a drat good movie in the case of Man Bites Dog. Maybe I'm in the minority thinking most of these were good or awesome or I just haven't seen the terrible ones (I stay away from a lot of them thanks to Criticker) so I dunno. I'd actually love to see more of these films made with some effort put into them because a lot of them are more entertaining than poo poo like Boogeyman, Pulse, The Messengers and other such poo poo the studios release every year.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'd say that applies to Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity when it's just people dicking around and yelling at each other for an hour and a half, then SCARE. I never got into the "mood" or whatever of Blair Witch so I spent the entire movie waiting for something interesting to happen, and the same with Paranormal Activity. It doesn't apply to something like Leslie Vernon or Cloverfield or Rec where there's a "legitimate" movie going on (I don't call filming people arguing "legitimate"), just filmed from a different perspective.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That is the stupidest distinction I have ever heard. Thank you for that. You have literally declared that these movies aren't "legitimate" because of what happens in them.

e: Nevermind that every movie has those "people just talking" interactions in them, regardless of the plot.

e2: Or that it in no way invalidates the plot

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 29, 2010

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Wife dragged me to The Last Exorcism today. I didn't really know anything about it and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The ending was a little off, but maybe the dvd/bluray release will have some alternate endings that make a bit more sense.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I actually rewatched Blair Witch recently and was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it. I was going into it with the attitude "oh it's going to be stupid people arguing all the time and anything I remember is nostalgia" but I thought the scares and build up in tension and atmosphere were especially well done, especially for amateur film makers. It's not a fantastic or even great movie but I like it.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

Technetium posted:

I actually rewatched Blair Witch recently and was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it. I was going into it with the attitude "oh it's going to be stupid people arguing all the time and anything I remember is nostalgia" but I thought the scares and build up in tension and atmosphere were especially well done, especially for amateur film makers. It's not a fantastic or even great movie but I like it.

as I remember with BW, the actors were sort of tossed into the woods with only a sliver of info on what the film was about. Each day a basket was dropped off with the characters lines, a general feel they should be portraying, but that was the only connection to the film crew or the outside world they had and no one knew what the other character was going to do or think. They were isolated pretty much by themselves for the entire thing. As the film gets ramped up, the film crew is actually loving with them, and in turn we see pretty much actual fear through most of the scenes.

There was one scene specifically where one of the film crew was dressed in all white and white makeup, laying inside a bush. When we see Heather freak out about a certain situation (i forgot which one) she takes off running, then freaks the gently caress out screaming 'what is that, what the gently caress is that?" and actually meaning it as she sees this white blob twitch and move in the bushes. There were several other instances where they were being messed with and scared, and they really didn't know what the gently caress. I forgot which one of the guys they mentioned, but he almost just walked off the set into the woods by himself due to being so twitched out by everything. I think that is what really made it a bit more solid for me, anyway. While yeah, they were not great actors, half the time they really were not acting and very cold, hungry, and somewhat scared of the unknown.

The only thing they were told was this film crew wanted to film them in the woods with a unrehearsed script, and not really knowing anything. This could have been a snuff film for all they knew, which sort of added to the tension a bit.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dickeye posted:

That is the stupidest distinction I have ever heard. Thank you for that. You have literally declared that these movies aren't "legitimate" because of what happens in them.

e: Nevermind that every movie has those "people just talking" interactions in them, regardless of the plot.

e2: Or that it in no way invalidates the plot

Well, to get into more detail, even though I thought it would be apparently obvious, there is a difference between a script, and actors told "we'll just film you, improv this overall situation which has no thematic or structural relevance, but will just serve to fill time until the next allotted plot point." When this is blindingly obvious, and is not a comedy, a la Curb Your Enthusiasm, it ceases to be "scary" to me and is just annoying.

There's a big difference in exeuction from 'Improve from point A to B,' and "improv this random scene," which the movies I listed obviously did.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Darko posted:

Well, to get into more detail, even though I thought it would be apparently obvious, there is a difference between a script, and actors told "we'll just film you, improv this overall situation which has no thematic or structural relevance, but will just serve to fill time until the next allotted plot point." When this is blindingly obvious, and is not a comedy, a la Curb Your Enthusiasm, it ceases to be "scary" to me and is just annoying.

There's a big difference in exeuction from 'Improve from point A to B,' and "improv this random scene," which the movies I listed obviously did.

Because the actors had absolutely no direction in those scenes, right? I literally did not know that Blair Witch and PA were improvised until I read about it later, because those scenes do advance the plot.

This is the absolute dumbest distinction I have ever heard. This is seriously like a film snob going "Watch a real movie" except your reason is stupid so it's even more infuriating

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought The Last Exorcism was absolutely horrible. I thought the acting was mostly poo poo aside from the main character, the writing was elementary and the end was one of the worst pieces of cinema I've ever laid eyes on.

There were maybe one or two parts of the movie that weren't completely predictable and the only reason they weren't is because they were so ridiculously stupid that nobody would have bothered considering them.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
After a movie I'm generally either happy or bored/indifferent, but I am actually annoyed after Last Exorcism. I think it had the potential to be really awesome, but it got hosed up, which is why I'm disappointed with it.

I think that the "oh, she's just pregnant and traumatized" thing could have worked, but honestly, I think it would have to be a lot creepier and hosed up so as to not be a let down. Or even just a slightly lame twist like they find out she's pregnant, leave, then go back and discover she actually IS possessed would have been better than preachers in robes borrowed from The Village tossing demon babies made out of glowing gummy bears into bonfires. Or maybe it was the baby Heather from my userpic barfed up in Silent Hill 3, I don't know.

And they killed a kitty :mad:

I did like the shots of them heading into the town, where everything was all decrepit and spooky, and I liked Cotton and Nell. And I am glad I'm not the only one who thought she looks like Michael Cera. Maybe it is him, and he finally broke out of his awkward teenage virgin shell and went for something completely different :v:

Edit: What was the name of the demon that possessed Nell/the cultists summoned? Was it an actual biblical demon name or something made up? I can't remember, I think it started with an "A".

Whispering Machines fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 30, 2010

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I Spit On Your Grave is really good. It did what I hoped, down played the rape scenes a bit and spend a lot more time on the revenge scenes and OUCH, do the guys really get it this time around. Jennifer isn't loving around.
9/10

F is also really good, kind of a suspence thriller but very well made.
8/10

The Loved Ones is great but the trailer shows way way way to much, ugh.
8/10

Cherry Tree Lane bored the pants off of me.
4/10

Monsters looked great and was very well done but again, found it boring.
5/10 (Although a 9/10 from a technicle standpoint)

Buried was very good, surpised how good it was considering the plot.
8/10

The Tortured is decent enough, quite predictable and becomes tedious after awhile but not bad.
7/10

Eggshells I don't even know what the gently caress this was.
2/10

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's F about, since wiki'ing isn't gonna do poo poo

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Dickeye posted:

What's F about, since wiki'ing isn't gonna do poo poo

It's Assult On Presinct 13 meets Eden Lake. It's about a teacher going through a rough time at school, that night a bunch of hoddies attack the school and slowly kill everyone left in there one by one. It's a stalk chase movie, lots of creppy scenes and edge of your seat moments.

Tom Six was back this year talking about The Human Centipede: Full Sequence (Part 2). He said the first movie was 100% medically accurate, part 2 will be 100% medically INaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Human Centipede 3 should just be that dude getting kicked in the balls for an hour.

When does F come out/who made it/help me find a DVD