Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
The whole stocks are going up because things are really bad and the fed is going to throw free money at it thing doesn't seem to be sustainable.

But at least when it does fall the SEC will make it so it can only happen 3-5% at a time! Which will be funny as you see limit down, 5 minute pause, limit down, 5 minute pause completely destroying the markets ability to function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

IratelyBlank posted:

Why do people buy options for +/-$20 of what the stock is worth? They are only $.02 and $.01 and very low numbers like that so do they just spend the $3 "just in case" the market takes an unexpected dip and then it one day they might see a return for the $3 they spend every few weeks?

Are you sure there are actually volume on those? Lots of times there is open interest but no trades actually take place.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday

Gamesguy posted:

Are you sure there are actually volume on those? Lots of times there is open interest but no trades actually take place.

Yeah, there is volume just not alot of it. Take Apple for instance:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell happened to the for-profit school industry? The entire sector looks like it is down 15-25%.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

abagofcheetos posted:

What the hell happened to the for-profit school industry? The entire sector looks like it is down 15-25%.

APOL's profit dropped over 50% and there are looming regulations for the entire industry in the near future (as their should be)

edit. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101014-708537.html

quote:

Apollo Group's ($37.89, -$11.62, -23.46%) fiscal fourth-quarter profit dropped 55% on a $175.9 million write-down, but results topped expectations. However, the education company withdrew its guidance for the new year, citing "the transitional state of the business and the uncertain regulatory environment." Shares of other for-profit schools also dropped, with DeVry Inc. (DV, $43.15, -$7.42, -14.67%), Corinthian Colleges Inc. (COCO, $5.12, -$0.90, -14.95%), Career Education Corp. (CECO, $17.28, -$2.90, -14.37%), Washington Post Co. (WPO, $400.99, -$27.62, -6.44%) and ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI, $56.86, -$9.06, -13.74%) all down.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

IratelyBlank posted:

Yeah, there is volume just not alot of it. Take Apple for instance:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL

You should keep in mind that a lot of traders are no different than the boob sitting outside the 7-11 scratching off lottery tickets.

That being said...an option contract may spike in value even though it is not "in the money".

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

abagofcheetos posted:

Justice. ;)

I was anticipating this ever since I saw the Frontline documentary about for-profit diploma mills and how the vast majority of their students depend on federal loans which most will end up defaulting on. Alas, I don't have a margin account. :/

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004

i am not zach posted:

APOL's profit dropped over 50% and there are looming regulations for the entire industry in the near future (as their should be)

edit. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101014-708537.html

I bought $2k in call options on APOL when it dropped and now i'm +$790 on it.

In the simulator.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
BIDU up 2.75% AH on GOOG sympathy. Perfect bull flag on daily and weekly chars setting up for the world's most obvious $100 roll. Stochastics reversing back up. 10d and 20d HV within 1.5 of each other. Only 1 earnings gap down in the last 2 years. FXI made a 52-week high today. Why, then, am I so unsure about pulling the trigger?

Edit: :lol: let the teeth-gnashing about STX begin.

Edit 2: God I suck at typing.

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 15, 2010

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Justice. ;)

I was anticipating this ever since I saw the Frontline documentary about for-profit diploma mills and how the vast majority of their students depend on federal loans which most will end up defaulting on. Alas, I don't have a margin account. :/
That honestly sounds a lot like regular universities to me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wow WDC just jumped 8% after hours. I can't decide whether to wait for their quarterly numbers to sell.

edit: Wow STX jumped 20%.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
drat, glad I picked up some NFLX today. I figured it would get a boost after earnings, but seeing it up almost 2$ in after hours is a nice bonus.

EDIT: Holy poo poo Google just destroyed. Tomorrow will be a good tech day.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wow WDC just jumped 8% after hours. I can't decide whether to wait for their quarterly numbers to sell.

edit: Wow STX jumped 20%.
Awesome, I love how I was here pumping the stock near it's year low saying it was the most undervalued stock ever, yet didn't buy any :suicide:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Duey posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo Google just destroyed. Tomorrow will be a good tech day.
How long has it been since Google's price, despite beating estimates, hasn't dropped on earnings? It was getting depressing for a while.

Insaint
Nov 22, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

Awesome, I love how I was here pumping the stock near it's year low saying it was the most undervalued stock ever, yet didn't buy any :suicide:

Only got myself some WDC, still doing pretty good though.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Surely I can't be the only one who actually does own Seagate.

I'm wondering if I want to take some of it off the table tomorrow or not.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Plastic Jesus posted:

Perfect bear flag on daily and weekly chars setting up for the world's most obvious $100 roll. 10d and 20d HV within 1.5 of each other.

What do these two things mean?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Nifty posted:

What do these two things mean?

First, it means that I'm an idiot and typed "bear flag" instead of "bull flag." Basically a bull flag is when when a stock has a sharp upturn, then settles down and trades in a range for a while. This pattern frequently precedes a run up higher. A $100 roll is the strange tendency of stocks to shoot higher once they close above $100. HV is Historic Volatility and the fact that the HV for the past 10 and 20 trading days are so close reinforces the "settling down" (called consolidation).

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."
Kind of a strange one today. One of the stocks I own, Taseko Mines (TGB) has been shooting upwards pretty steadily the last few days...until today. As you can see from the chart here, around 2:30 it had a little mini flash crash and lost around 30% almost instantly. Now it ended up only down ~10% for the day, and from the after hours it looks like it'll recover eventually, but I think there were a lot of people that got burned when their stop-losses kicked in. You guys know more about the market than I do, does this look like some kind of market fuckery to you?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Dirk Diggler posted:

Kind of a strange one today. One of the stocks I own, Taseko Mines (TGB) has been shooting upwards pretty steadily the last few days...until today. As you can see from the chart here, around 2:30 it had a little mini flash crash and lost around 30% almost instantly. Now it ended up only down ~10% for the day, and from the after hours it looks like it'll recover eventually, but I think there were a lot of people that got burned when their stop-losses kicked in. You guys know more about the market than I do, does this look like some kind of market fuckery to you?

HFT strikes again?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

HFT strikes again?

man those 10% breakers are working for... sigh...

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Jackal posted:

man those 10% breakers are working for... sigh...

There have been two other HFT >10% drops since the last time we discussed it in this thread.

(edit: actually let me correct myself, ADBE was actually a flash up)

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 15, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

HFT strikes again?
Volume today was 23.5m versus an average of 2.2m. Classic case of HFT/Algo.

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

St00ert posted:

I'm kicking myself for selling my stocks late September. I was so certain the markets weren't rising past 1150 (S&P500). While I pray for mayhem, I've put $1000 of canadian money into my USD cash account since both dollars are just about at parity.

That play could backfire if the canadian dollar rises to 1.1:1. I just want to be prepared for a play when/if markets go down after the midterm election, and after the US government isn't as focused or capable of juking the stats (just finished watching The Wire).

This rally seems too unexpected and not particularly authentic. But I'm still a n00b at this, so I'm probably missing some obvious reason.

Quantitative Easing.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can anyone recommend a good book/resource on options? I've been pulling a pretty good sum on shorting but I'd like to see what this is about.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 15, 2010

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Dr. Eldarion posted:

How long has it been since Google's price, despite beating estimates, hasn't dropped on earnings? It was getting depressing for a while.

I know someone who wrote five oct 540 calls naked right before the close today counting on the fact that google usually drops after earnings.

He's about ready to jump out of a window atm.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 15, 2010

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Bond yields exploded today after the abysmal treasury auction.

I think the trade here is short bonds and gold. Inflation is getting hotter and yields are rising even with the fed slamming QE2 in everyones faces. Not to mention it seems like the economy is rosy as ever so why bother throwing billions into the free money tube.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Jack posted:

Bond yields exploded today after the abysmal treasury auction.

loving hell, I got burned on this. Why didn't I just put money on stocks which are all going straight loving up because "QE2 QE2 QE2 QE2 QE2 QE2" instead of buying the bonds which the Fed is supposed to be supporting through QE.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

I know a guy whos been holding ATVI since last july and it's still below the price he paid for it.

Stock is dead tbh.

Hey that sounds like me. I don't think any of the major game companies will return to close what they were until the economy is completely back on its feet and unemployment has been cut in half. Even then they'll have to win investors' favor back from smaller companies focusing on "social" games. I plan on just letting what I've invested languish there until that day comes.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

No. 9 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book/resource on options? I've been pulling a pretty good sum on shorting but I'd like to see what this is about.

If your focus isn't on the details of mathematical pricing models, you might consider Options as a Strategic Investment by McMillan. I haven't read the most recent edition, but I like the one I read.

shermang
May 18, 2004

Dirk Diggler posted:

I was watching while this happened. It looks like the TSX won't rescind all the trades afterwards, so it's for real, and most definitely HFT bullshit.
ZeroHedge mentioned it today too:
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/will-taseko-mines-flash-crash-let-offending-algo-finally-be-punished

I probably should have thrown caution to the wind and gotten in when it was 10% down, since I was watching it AS it happened. I've been trying to diversify my mining stocks, I'm very gold/silver/copper junior heavy, I need some heavier players like Taseko to make my days less stressful.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
It must be nice being David Einhorn and being able to make stocks drop 20% on your beckon call. Would it have been illegal for him to take a short position and then tell people he didn't like the stock? As long as he doesn't encourage others to short it then I would think it'd be okay right?

talking about JOE by the way.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

It must be nice being David Einhorn and being able to make stocks drop 20% on your beckon call. Would it have been illegal for him to take a short position and then tell people he didn't like the stock? As long as he doesn't encourage others to short it then I would think it'd be okay right?

You're free to talk your book, even if you're David Einhorn.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
I've been reading some articles on Bernankes speech today, one of which caught my interest. I'm a little bit familiar with Options but I've never traded them. I read this.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/jan-hatzius-attempts-preserve-fed-chairmans-mystique

quote:

Because in the off chance he is right, buying a boatload of far OTM broad market puts on November 2 may well end up being the most profitable trade of the year, if not decade.

What exactly are OTM broad market puts on November 2? Is that referring to a future captuting a broad index of SP or some other market index future? Any idea if what's written here makes any sense.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

problematique posted:

What exactly are OTM broad market puts on November 2? Is that referring to a future captuting a broad index of SP or some other market index future? Any idea if what's written here makes any sense.

Basically betting that the entire stock market will go down.

OTM means out of the money

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

problematique posted:

This would be buying out of the money puts on something like the SPY. The assumption is that becuase they are OTM right now, they're cheap, and that if the market falls, you'll be able to make a lot more than ITM puts.

I might buy a couple contracts but nothing huge.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
Google really took a leap overnight. On Investopedia, I bought $10k worth of calls last night and this morning it was a $36k gain. My real broker is really dragging their feet transferring my money around so I have something to play with.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

No. 9 posted:

http://www.optionseducation.org/resources/brochures.jsp

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Thoogsby posted:

Yeah I don't get that, I bet Berkowitz is PISSED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
I pray that AAPL somehow misses big on Monday and guides even worse just for the hilarity it would cause the longside people.

I mean a consumer electronics company on the way to being the biggest corporation in the world. Gold going up on inflation expectations while bond yield goes down on deflation expectations. Trade wars with China brewing and the markets soaring to the moon. What a weird world.