Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

Looks like Amazon is getting sick of raging hate-mailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dont eat a carb posted:

They've been putting that line up on those books for years now.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

They've been putting that line up on those books for years now.

Also, when the price is set by the publisher, it's listed under "New from" like a marketplace price, rather than "Amazon Price". When it's set by Amazon, it's under "Amazon Price".

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Inkmesh lets me know that Amazon.com are selling Game of Thrones for $5 (Can someone confirm this? It won't show me the price because I'm in the UK), whereas Amazon.co.uk is selling it for £5.49.

Quite a difference in price - is there any way I can buy books from a US source (Where I suspect they're generally cheaper), and remove the DRM so they can be put on my Kindle? Or is that too illegal for me to ask about here?

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
Apparently the Kindle editions of the GRRM books are not worth it, as rather than being produced from the original text, they are unedited OCR scans of the books (and as a result full of errors and bad formatting)

Blame the publisher for doing a shoddy job, blame Amazon for tolerating it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

dont eat a carb posted:

Apparently the Kindle editions of the GRRM books are not worth it, as rather than being produced from the original text, they are unedited OCR scans of the books (and as a result full of errors and bad formatting)

Oh, I already own the GRRM books - that was just an example of the money I could save if there was a US store which let international customers purchase from them.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Centipeed posted:

Inkmesh lets me know that Amazon.com are selling Game of Thrones for $5 (Can someone confirm this? It won't show me the price because I'm in the UK), whereas Amazon.co.uk is selling it for £5.49.

Quite a difference in price - is there any way I can buy books from a US source (Where I suspect they're generally cheaper), and remove the DRM so they can be put on my Kindle? Or is that too illegal for me to ask about here?

There's a "Buy As A Gift" button, maybe somebody could gift you a US copy?

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/ it seems like lots of the time the reviews wind up getting all piled together, too, which makes it harder than it should be to find a decent version.

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 5, 2011

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Speaking of, the cheap classics have a huge variety in quality. I've tried some that were absolutely unreadable (the worst one was in an unchangeable giant font and all caps with footnotes just dropped into the text with no warning). On the other hand, I have a Complete Works of Shakespeare and a version of Tropic of Capricorn that both cost $1 and are both formatted perfectly.

I wish Amazon did some quality control so I didn't have to try a ton of samples to find the ones that are competently made.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

There's a "Buy As A Gift" button, maybe somebody could gift you a US copy?

Does this work between US and UK accounts? Because there's a book I want on the Kindle UK store, I'd be happy to do a swap if it works. PM me if you wanna try!

edit: Google says

quote:

Yup, you can gift to someone anywhere in the world off the US site, even if they can't shop on the US site.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

dont eat a carb posted:

Also, beware, if you're not used to paying tax on amazon, most of the publisher set prices tack on tax afterwords.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

dont eat a carb posted:

That's weird, the BN versions are great. They had Game of Thrones for $1 a few weeks ago, so I decided to check it out. I liked it enough that I bought the other three.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Ara posted:

Does this work between US and UK accounts? Because there's a book I want on the Kindle UK store, I'd be happy to do a swap if it works. PM me if you wanna try!

edit: Google says

If this is true maybe we should make an ebook swap thread in SAMart. Will probably use copious amounts of
:911: :australia: :belarus: :britain: :ca: :canada: :china: :denmark: :eurovision: :france: :italy: :mexico: :norway: :scotland: :spain: :sweden: :tito: :ussr:

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Aphasian posted:

If this is true maybe we should make an ebook swap thread in SAMart. Will probably use copious amounts of
:911: :australia: :belarus: :britain: :ca: :canada: :china: :denmark: :eurovision: :france: :italy: :mexico: :norway: :scotland: :spain: :sweden: :tito: :ussr:

I'd be into this. About 1 in 3 books I want to buy aren't available for Australians. I know there are ways around this but they all seem pretty dodgy to me.

Why can't I buy Harpo Speaks, It's the best autobiography ever written by anyone who has ever breathed! :argh:

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

SlightButSteady posted:

I'd be into this. About 1 in 3 books I want to buy aren't available for Australians. I know there are ways around this but they all seem pretty dodgy to me.

Why can't I buy Harpo Speaks, It's the best autobiography ever written by anyone who has ever breathed! :argh:

I'll send you a pm. We can see if this really works.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Surely everyone would just be asking a small number of US goons to gift books, much like how it happens with Steam sales, and Amazon will notice?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Centipeed posted:

Surely everyone would just be asking a small number of US goons to gift books, much like how it happens with Steam sales, and Amazon will notice?

Amazon only cares as much as the publishers force them too. They would much rather sell stuff to anyone in the world who wants it without having to stick to bunch of antiquated agreements controlling who is allowed to print which books in what country.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Centipeed posted:

Will Amazon care?

Either way, if anybody in the UK wants to gift-trade something roughly equivalent in value to this from the US store then throw me a PM!

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Trig Discipline posted:

That's weird, the BN versions are great. They had Game of Thrones for $1 a few weeks ago, so I decided to check it out. I liked it enough that I bought the other three.

How did I miss $1 Game of Thrones :argh: ? I've been waiting for the series to go on sale, so I could rebuy the digital version to reread before the next book comes out later this year. How'd you find out it was on sale or did you just happen to discover it?

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

dont eat a carb posted:

I just finished Game of Thrones on the Kindle, and I didn't see any errors or anything, maybe its been updates since the reports of that issue. The only bad formating was the list of families and characters in the back of the book, there was a few errors there in indentation.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Amazon.com Kindle gifting posted:

Title availability may vary by country. If this title isn't available for your gift recipient, we will exchange your gift for an equivalent value Amazon.com gift card.

Dammit.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

KaLogain posted:

I just finished Game of Thrones on the Kindle, and I didn't see any errors or anything, maybe its been updates since the reports of that issue. The only bad formating was the list of families and characters in the back of the book, there was a few errors there in indentation.

The only error I've noticed so far on mine was "surnmerwine" instead of "summerwine," I saw that and said OCR! :argh:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I've been reading them, it's been fine. Nothing's stuck out but I'm not looking for errors I guess either.

pintle
Aug 3, 2007
to err is human, dear fez
I was just gifted a kindle 3 by my friend and have been playing around with it for a day or two. It's an incredible little gadget and I've transferred most of the stuff I was reading onto it. So far everything is great, even scientific publications in PDF. I didn't expect to be able to view a page in full so landscape works fine. The only problem is having to rotate the screen everytime I encounter a graph or some data that can only be seen fully in portrait. I can't find a shortcut for rotating a document or an option to set shortcuts so I have to go through the little menu which is about 5 to 6 button presses to rotate the document.

For the image viewer, the shortcuts listed on most sites like 'Q, E, R' etc don't work at all. Do these even exist or did I miss something?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
"based on your last Nookbook purchases, Barnes and Nobles recommends... (the list of books I just bought)" :buddy:

So I should buy the same things a second time? How can bn suck so badly at this?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

boo_radley posted:

"based on your last Nookbook purchases, Barnes and Nobles recommends... (the list of books I just bought)" :buddy:

So I should buy the same things a second time? How can bn suck so badly at this?

My issue with them is...

"Based on your last nookBook purchases of SciFi and textbooks, Barnes and Noble recommends... lots of gay erotic novels"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The price of the Kindle version costs more than the paperback on every book I'm interested in. gently caress you publishers

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Calibre 0.8 is out today!

I'm really excited about this feature:
"Metadata plugboards: Have calibre automatically transform the metadata of files when sending to device. For example, you can ask calibre to append the series to the title, in case your device does not support series metadata. See Preferences->Metadata plugboards"

I had just been putting the series name in the title of the book, but this will be much better and easier to work with.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Florida Betty posted:

Calibre 0.8 is out today!

I'm really excited about this feature:
"Metadata plugboards: Have calibre automatically transform the metadata of files when sending to device. For example, you can ask calibre to append the series to the title, in case your device does not support series metadata. See Preferences->Metadata plugboards"

I had just been putting the series name in the title of the book, but this will be much better and easier to work with.

I'm confused. I've had mine doing this for months.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

The Aphasian posted:

I'm confused. I've had mine doing this for months.

They changed something about it. The annoying part is there isn't a separate field for isbn, now you have to put the isbn as "isbn:728687168761" in the IDs field.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a reader that I'll mainly be using for PDF books. My first inclination is to grab a Nook Color and root it for a nice cheap Android tablet. Is rooting still alive and well in freshly produced Nook Colors? Anything else I should consider for what I'm looking for?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Since we have been talking about ebook prices, I figured I would link to this inkmesh article talking about how the prices are set. A little more explenation than just that it's set by the publisher. Here is one snip.

http://inkmesh.com/blog/2010/08/21/how-does-amazon-bn-and-sony-stack-up-on-ebook-prices-post-agency-model/

quote:

With the advent in agency model in April 2010, a lot of retailers lost the advantage of pricing ebooks aggressively. Before the EBook Agency Model, the publisher typically offered the ebooks at 50% of the hardcover price, and then allowed the retailer to sell them for whatever price they liked. So if a book had a list price of $30, the publisher would sell it to say Amazon for $15, and in turn, Amazon might sell it for $9.99 taking a $5 loss, but attracting a lot of people to buy from them. Some wonder why Amazon would want to take a $5 loss on every ebook sold under the old arrangement. Our guess is that Amazon wants to dominate the market and basically crush the competition by making it impossible for them to compete over the long-term as well as also make money by selling more Kindle readers. Regardless of the motivation, it is a great deal for consumers and not such a great deal for authors.

With the Ebook Agency Model, the publisher sets the price for the ebook, takes 70% of the sale, and leaves 30% to the retailer. Using the same example above, the publisher sells the ebook for $15, and then takes 70% or $10.50. They actually make less than they were making before. Amazon then gets $4.50. This is actually more than they were making before but it forces Amazon to sell the book for $5 more than they normally would ($15 Vs $9.99). The consumers don’t want that and neither does Amazon.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sperg Victorious posted:

They changed something about it. The annoying part is there isn't a separate field for isbn, now you have to put the isbn as "isbn:728687168761" in the IDs field.

poo poo, seriously?

That is a huge pain in the rear end, I wouldn't have updated if I had seen this sooner. I'm still sorting the 60+ things I grabbed from Feedbooks this week.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Sperg Victorious posted:

Since we have been talking about ebook prices, I figured I would link to this inkmesh article talking about how the prices are set. A little more explenation than just that it's set by the publisher. Here is one snip.

http://inkmesh.com/blog/2010/08/21/how-does-amazon-bn-and-sony-stack-up-on-ebook-prices-post-agency-model/

The agency model was pretty much forced into existence by Apple so that publishers could get in their dumb bookstore, right? Am I remembering this wrong?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sorta...

When the ipad was coming out, apple started up with this WE WANT TO BE THE BESTEST EBOOK THING EVER and decided to offer an agency model, and the major publishers all went HOLY gently caress, WE CAN GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR OF MAKING SURE WE COMPLETELY ALIENATE CUSTOMERS! and went for it.

Amazon said "Uhm... no, we kinda like the old way", and the publishers said "HAH, gently caress you and your whole store, we got APPLE now bitches!!!" and amazon took down the publishers books, and then there was a big kerfuffle and amazon did that "Price listed by publisher" thingie as a way to still sell books.

That's fairly really really condensed but I think that's how it happened. The whole situation pisses me off, so I don't really wanna research it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also the iBooks store is still noticeably way more limited. Only usable on an iOS device (you can't even read in OS X), a much smaller book selection, and generally higher prices.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

fishmech posted:

Also the iBooks store is still noticeably way more limited. Only usable on an iOS device (you can't even read in OS X), a much smaller book selection, and generally higher prices.

Basically the self-publishing revolution can't come quick enough.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Centipeed posted:

Basically the self-publishing revolution can't come quick enough.

Do you really want books that aren't professionally edited, or with no vetting for quality? I know I don't; I like what the publishers add to the process. I think they need to figure out what the hell they're doing in terms of pricing and that the agency model was a huge mistake, but that doesn't mean I want to see publishing houses go away.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yes, that's a good point. If only there were a way for people to rate the quality of something!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

fordan posted:

Do you really want books that aren't professionally edited, or with no vetting for quality? I know I don't; I like what the publishers add to the process.

I'm sure the same arguments were used when people started to record and master their own albums to release independently as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

fordan posted:

Do you really want books that aren't professionally edited, or with no vetting for quality? I know I don't; I like what the publishers add to the process. I think they need to figure out what the hell they're doing in terms of pricing and that the agency model was a huge mistake, but that doesn't mean I want to see publishing houses go away.

Yes, because the change in the music industry so that artists generally release their own stuff has resulted in uniformly badly made products.