Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'd like to know too. My wednesdays are temporarily open, and I think next wednesday would be an excellent night to have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Can anyone explain to me how the gently caress I'm supposed to sort my recycling? So far I have a huge bag full of ONLY plastic bottles. My second bag is paper, cardboard, glass bottles, aluminum cans, and random plastic poo poo. My third bag is "other." This is the only real confusing aspect of living in this country almost a month in. Thanks.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

quadrophrenic posted:

Hey, is poker night still a thing? I just got paid and I'd kinda like to meet some of you and take your money.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'd like to know too. My wednesdays are temporarily open, and I think next wednesday would be an excellent night to have one.

Okies,

USDA is currently in the US, and a whole bunch of the regular crew that show up actually had a bunch of coincidental stuff going on - this meant the first cancellation/postponement. The next one will go ahead as per normal which should be Weds 10 July.

If someone wants to organize a hold-over game before then, I'm game (though I'm playing Mah Jong on Dragon boat).

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

lokk posted:

Can anyone explain to me how the gently caress I'm supposed to sort my recycling? So far I have a huge bag full of ONLY plastic bottles. My second bag is paper, cardboard, glass bottles, aluminum cans, and random plastic poo poo. My third bag is "other." This is the only real confusing aspect of living in this country almost a month in. Thanks.

Depending on where you live, you need to buy recycling bags for recycling stuff. There are certain bags for certain regions (IIRC- nanshijiao had blue bags, central taipei city has pink bags). I don't have to do it since my building got fined a while ago for not doing it properly.

If you have to chase the garbage truck down the road, then yeah, you'll need the right bags etc. (they do get fussy)

If you're not chasing trucks, then speak to someone in your building, you may or may not have to separate (I don't "have" to), and you may or may not need the right bags.

basically, it's area specific and really the best information you'll find is from the people around you.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah, most of the "good" apartments I've seen have either had a recycling room or a guy who lives in the building in charge of the recycling. Usually I just hand over all my boxes and bottles to him and he takes care of it for me.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I live next to a huge complex, and there is a person that parks a truck out there every evening collecting people's recycling material. I just bring everything recyclable in whatever bag I was using, and give it to them. They sort it themselves, and it costs me nothing.

Then there are a few smelly barrels full of organic waste to dump your own in.

The rest goes in the Taipei City blue garbage bags bought at 7-11 to toss into the truck.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

So I arrive on Friday 14th for some good ol' fun times. Atlas Hugged, will you be about for a pint? Invite extends to everyone else. I should be in Taipei till Sunday night, so any suggestions/rock bars/MISC FUN EVENT please give me a shout on here through PM's or kruzin @ gmail.com.

Cheers! :kiddo:

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Does Taipei not have the legions of old people scouring the city for recyclables? I just cram anything with the little recycle symbol on the bottom into a bag and leave it on the side of the road. Usually within minutes it's gone.

With the exception of bottles. I have to take those out to the truck myself as nobody wants them.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

HappyHelmet posted:

Does Taipei not have the legions of old people scouring the city for recyclables? I just cram anything with the little recycle symbol on the bottom into a bag and leave it on the side of the road. Usually within minutes it's gone.

With the exception of bottles. I have to take those out to the truck myself as nobody wants them.

Not everyone accepts that particular philosophy. In my opinion, anything you put into a recycling bin is a couple NT you're stealing from an old lady.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

Not everyone accepts that particular philosophy. In my opinion, anything you put into a recycling bin is a couple NT you're stealing from an old lady.

Honestly even if I wanted to bring some stuff to the truck I don't think I could. There is a crazy old woman who camps out on the corner and if she sees you have non-bottle recyclables she is on you like a fly. I think she straight up throw a poo poo-fit if I didn't hand them over.

It's even funnier when you start to realize they are territorial even, and get mad when people invade their turf to snag some recyclables off the street. I've seen more than a few arguments break out over it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Do you think it would be worth it to get a credit card here? I buy a fair amount of stuff online - ebooks and video games off Steam and whatnot - and I'd like to rely on my Taiwan bank account more. Right now I use my US debit card for all purchases. I have to send money from my Taiwan bank every few months anyway to cover student loan payments but it'd be nice to do that less often.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Moon Slayer posted:

Do you think it would be worth it to get a credit card here? I buy a fair amount of stuff online - ebooks and video games off Steam and whatnot - and I'd like to rely on my Taiwan bank account more. Right now I use my US debit card for all purchases. I have to send money from my Taiwan bank every few months anyway to cover student loan payments but it'd be nice to do that less often.
It's a pain to get without a Taiwanese co-signer. One alternative might be a local debit card with a Visa logo. I use mine to pay gym/phone bills and buy plane tickets, it's nice. Not all banks issue them, but most do. If yours doesn't, just open an account somewhere else. Even the post office offers them now I think. At one point I had three, all from different banks.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

My vote would be to leave things as they are. As gloom said above me it's kind of a pain to get one, and it's not really worth it. If you can, just send larger lump sums of money home less often so you don't have to worry about it as much.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Your Taiwanese debit card should work on the internet now. At least mine (Taiwan Cooperative Bank) does.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

So I've just arrived today, been out all day and I'm heading to Roxy 99 upon recommedation . anyone around fancy a pint? I'm trying to get atlas' attention but i think Singtel maybe have blocked my calls.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

kru posted:

So I've just arrived today, been out all day and I'm heading to Roxy 99 upon recommedation . anyone around fancy a pint? I'm trying to get atlas' attention but i think Singtel maybe have blocked my calls.

Get off at 9:30, if you're still about at that point I could be down.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

kru posted:

I haven't been able to get in touch with you today (sent a text to your buddy), but I'm still planning on going to that bar later. If anyone else is interested, we're probably going to meet at Haishan Station 海山站 at 8.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thanks for the info, everybody. I'll just use my debit card online for now.

My contract is up in a month so it's high time I started looking for a job! I'm planning to move to Taipei, which is going to be a real change after living in the boonies of Taiwan for two years. I posted an ad on tealit, but does anyone have any leads on good job openings after July 15th? I'm hoping for a technical writing or editing job but since I have no professional experience in that field I'm expecting to end up teaching.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Can't help you with Taipei, but if your considering moving to Taichung proper consider looking at the Facebook groups. One is something like "Taichung Substitute Group" (they post actual jobs in there too) and the other is "Taichung English Teachers Group." Much more jobs posted in there than on Tealit. I assume Taipei has similar groups.

fardoche
May 29, 2013
Hey guys. I've been preparing for my move to Taiwan since the end of February. I'm now in the final stages and should be arriving in late July or early August for my first teaching gig.

Since it's my first time, I will happily settle for a big chain school and hopefully learn the ropes there and move on later on.

I was offered different positions with Shane schools lately but the start dates were problematic, so I'm waiting for something no sooner than the end of July since I have obligations here until then. Based on everything I've read, I'm quite confident that I would be just fine with working for Shane for a first job, but there are two questions I have that I couldn't find an answer to. I'd be glad if you could help.

1. The official paperwork states shirt and tie as mandatory. Is that really enforced everywhere or mainly in the Taipei branches? I have lived in Florida when I was younger and I have a hard time imagining teaching with long sleeves and a tie in such a humid climate. Do people roll up their sleeves at least? And is it easy to find nice cheap shirts and ties in Taiwan or should I stock up before I leave? :)

2. How is beard perceived? I know the Taiwanese don't like it, and Shane states that teachers need to be clean shaven. What were your experiences in that regard? I use a beard trimmer and keep a stubble since razors irritate my skin (I have strong beard but sensitive skin) so I was wondering if I'm doomed.

If anyone here ever worked or still works for Shane, I'd be thankful to read about your experiences with these issues. I know the work experience varies from school to school, so I'm not asking about that, but I'd like to know if all Shane schools really enforce these shaving and shirt/tie rules.

Looking forward to read your answers! Thanks :)

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I've never worked at Shane, but people who have been in this thread in the past have. General feeling is that they are either pretty good, or really bad. If you can I'd recommend waiting to accept the job until you get here and you can check it out, and maybe talk with some of the other foreign teachers (if there are any) a little.

For your other questions:

1. Yes they require a shirt and a tie. Some branches are probably more lenient on that than others, but if you plan to work for them you should plan to wear a shirt and tie.

2. Again depends on the school. Some schools are fine with it, others want nothing. I think the general rule of thumb is that standard goatees, and the "unshaven" look (what I do) are ok, but full beards are generally frowned upon. Though I think as long as your beard is well kept you might be ok.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm also going to need to get an apartment in Taipei. My ARC expires at the end of July - is it going to be a problem to sign a housing contract?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm also going to need to get an apartment in Taipei. My ARC expires at the end of July - is it going to be a problem to sign a housing contract?

I don't think I've had a landlord ask to see my arc before.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I have never had a landlord ask. 10 years, 5 apartments. You should be fine

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
By the way, is 4 days enough time in August to find an apartment? Looking at studios (套房/雅房 actually) in Da'an.
I see a ton of stuff available on 591/Kijiji right now, but not sure if student season will get crazy / how quickly one can actually move in.

V Cheap enough for my standards, anyway. And I will definitely have local friends to help out, thankfully :)

hitension fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 16, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe

The danger is that if you're trying to get a place immediately, chances are you'll get dicked over on the price. Best to have a local help you find and negotiate if you can.

Also Daan district fuuuuuuuuuuuuck I don't think cheap apartments exist there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

lokk posted:

Thanks goons, hope to buy some of you a beer or whatever the Taiwanese equivalent of soju is in the near future.

Soju? you guys stole another one of ours didn't you. Atlas Hugged! :argh:

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 17, 2013

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Soju? you guys stole another one of ours didn't you. Atlas Hugged! :argh:

Well the local Taiwan hooch is called Kaoliang, and unless soju tastes like white wine mixed with gasoline probably isn't anything like it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, gaoliang is distilled from sorghum and it is pure death. Soju is relatively mild and even pleasant in comparison. My buddy had a bottle of 65% gaoliang this weekend and it was hell to drink straight.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

HappyHelmet posted:

Well the local Taiwan hooch is called Kaoliang, and unless soju tastes like white wine mixed with gasoline probably isn't anything like it.

I meant you stole a Kgoon from us. Don't know if lokk is one though.

I prefer gaoling to soju thank you very much, but for different occasions. Might also be the novelty of it

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Gaoliang tastes like soy sauce and rotten plums. I actually quite like it on rocks diluted with soda or even just good water down to around 30%-ish equivalent range. Maybe a twist would be good, but I haven't tried it. It's a nice pair for fried stinky tofu, naturally.

DO NOT DRINK NEAT UNLESS YOU HATE YOURSELF

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

quadrophrenic posted:

It's all so clear to me now.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

quadrophrenic posted:

Gaoliang tastes like soy sauce and rotten plums. I actually quite like it on rocks diluted with soda or even just good water down to around 30%-ish equivalent range. Maybe a twist would be good, but I haven't tried it. It's a nice pair for fried stinky tofu, naturally.

I took a bottle of some standard gaoliang, and a bottle of Johnny Walker Black as gifts when visiting my Vietnamese in-laws.

Guess which one they opened up that night, pouring it into a few tall glasses, (Vietnamese summer) room temperature? The Johnny Walker was put onto the family ancestral altar.

Drank it all. It was terrible. Vietnamese homebrew was preferable to the gaoliang, though they seemed to appreciate it.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

quadrophrenic posted:

Well I definitely hate myself so looks like it's neat for me :)

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Poker is coming back on July 10th like url noted. Info about it is all in my thread post history so check that out and be there or be square etc...

Also re: gaoliang; I'd never tried it with soda water, that sounds kind of interesting.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I haven't been able to get in touch with you today (sent a text to your buddy), but I'm still planning on going to that bar later. If anyone else is interested, we're probably going to meet at Haishan Station 海山站 at 8.

Ahhh, sorry we didn't make it down in time. We ended up heading to Din Tai Fung for food then, met some people and headed to 'On Tap' which seemed like a decent wee pub. Taiwan was absolutely great, I cannot wait to come back. :)

Special thanks to Atlas for coming out to meet us! Any time you are in Singapore, please allow me to return the favour.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, it's too bad I was so exhausted on Friday from work and the concert otherwise I would have stayed out longer. Once you guys switched to whisky, I knew I was done though. Saturday ended up being a fun night. I actually got a fairly reclusive goon to come out, but no one I was with wanted to stay out after the MRTs closed, so we headed back before I finally made contact with you guys.

I'll be sure to let you know if I am ever out that way.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

DontAskKant posted:

I meant you stole a Kgoon from us. Don't know if lokk is one though.

I did teach in a hagwon in Busan and it was pretty bad. Besides all the homework and doing makeup classes at 9am on Saturday I am enjoying it here so far. Much more relaxed atmosphere, even at Hess. There isn't even CCTV in my classrooms...in Korea it was constantly monitored and I was told that I sat down for 32 seconds too long while entering grades into the computer.

I do miss all of the food from Korea though. The stuff down here is good, but I feel like everything needs to be turned up 58 notches on the spice-o-meter. Pingdong is pretty badass, bigger than I expected and the locals are nice as hell. Is anyone here down in Kaohsiung? I need people to drink some beers with. I've seen a single foreigner since I've been down here for a month or so....it's quite the TRUE CULTURAL EXPERIENCE.

edit: I got massively drunk the night we finished training on kaoliung at KTV. poo poo is 100x nastier than soju. Soju would taste like a nice white wine compared to this stuff :O

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

lokk posted:

Is anyone here down in Kaohsiung? I need people to drink some beers with. I've seen a single foreigner since I've been down here for a month or so....it's quite the TRUE CULTURAL EXPERIENCE.

I'm occasionally down that way, but I'm telling you, find the bar in Pingtung called "Jimmy's" if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

lokk posted:

I did teach in a hagwon in Busan and it was pretty bad. Besides all the homework and doing makeup classes at 9am on Saturday I am enjoying it here so far. Much more relaxed atmosphere.

Yeah the Taiwan/Korea flow is only one way.