Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

So the game is out in Australia now - whats the deal with the character narration DLC? are we forced to buy it because of the late release?

It's worth it for the Dwarf having to say the word "gobsmacked".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Lord Chumley posted:

It's worth it for the Dwarf having to say the word "gobsmacked".

Exactly why I want it.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Are the dwarf's bombs/barrels worth using beyond normal mode? Or do they scale poorly?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Cross play? http://www.atlus.com/assets/dragonscrown/DC_crossplay.jpg

They're so late though.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

folgore posted:

Are the dwarf's bombs/barrels worth using beyond normal mode? Or do they scale poorly?

His regular bomb bag is meh, though with Powder Mastery maxed its alright, if underwhelming. Eagle Dive is still very good if you need to carpet bomb an area or hit a very large boss. As for the fire barrels, they're yet another thing you can do to bosses between Grand Smashes so yeah, still usable. Long story short you're likely either going with explosions, the needlessly complicated combo with Frenzy, or doing a lot of throwing things around on Infernal.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

Megalixir posted:

They're so late though.

That's nothing, I'm still waiting for Wayforward to put out that Double Dragon Neon online multiplayer patch.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is any version a clear winner? I sort of want to get the vita version now that it's discounted, but not if the ps3 version is way, way better.

VVV "runs better"? Would this prevent you from getting it on a vita? VVV

redreader fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 10, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
The game itself was developed for Vita, so the functionality works better there with the touch screen, but the game itself runs better on PS3 (and of course you can play it on your TV). With Cross-Play coming, it really doesn't matter which version you get though,

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

If you actually like playing games on the Vita and it fits into your life people said mostly good things about it. Personally I have less than no use for portable systems and cannot imagine a reason to go for a game this pretty on a smaller screen.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yechezkel posted:

Update on the European release, from one of the PS Store staff:

The download versions will not be put up this week. They will be available next Wednesday on the 16th.

Scratch that. They're out right now in the EU region:

PS3 version £39.99/€49.99/AU$69.95
PS+ prices £35.99/€44.99/AU$62.96

Vita version £34.99/€39.99/AU$54.95
PS+ prices £31.49/€35.99/AU$49.46

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

redreader posted:

Is any version a clear winner? I sort of want to get the vita version now that it's discounted, but not if the ps3 version is way, way better.

VVV "runs better"? Would this prevent you from getting it on a vita? VVV

I only have it on Vita, and it's great. Basically the big difference is that the PS3 version only needs one system to do local multiplayer, and there's less framerate problems when there's a ton of stuff on screen, and the Vita has a touchscreen instead of having to move a cursor around with a stick to interact with the environment. Also there might be more people online on PS3, but once the crossplay patch drops that'll become irrelevant.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are US and EU saves comptible or would I have to start froms scratch if I double-dipped?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
How do I decide what things to sell and which to appraise

With an amazon, I can parry fairly easily but a lot of times there is just too much crap on the screen, how am i supposed to play her

Am I supposed to learn a new alphabet and memorize the rune spells

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

With an amazon, I can parry fairly easily but a lot of times there is just too much crap on the screen, how am i supposed to play her

The runes aren't a new alphabet. They're stylized letters, and if you look up the rune list, you can see that every spell is basically a three word sentence, with each word starting with the letter represented by a rune. So you're not memorizing brand new symbols, you just gotta go "Oh, that letter looks like an S" and then remember what rune spells have an S in them, basically.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Appraise B rank and above, sell everything else.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered before. (and something tells me I won't like the answer regardless) But Cross-play is not retroactive right? I mean that wouldn't make any sense, right? Then again I don't really have any Cross-play games.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

FauxGateau posted:

Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered before. (and something tells me I won't like the answer regardless) But Cross-play is not retroactive right? I mean that wouldn't make any sense, right? Then again I don't really have any Cross-play games.

If you're asking what I think you're asking, Cross-play just means that PS3 and Vita can play with each other. I think you're thinking of Cross-buy, which is where buying it on one automatically gives you the other, which is not the case here.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crappy Jack posted:

If you're asking what I think you're asking, Cross-play just means that PS3 and Vita can play with each other. I think you're thinking of Cross-buy, which is where buying it on one automatically gives you the other, which is not the case here.

Op! That is what I meant. Whoops my mistake.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

When you're starting out, anything C and below is garbage; it's not even worth appraising. Once you get in the Hard difficulty level, you're gonna want to start getting ignoring things that are B rank and lower and that have less than 4-5 modifiers on them (indicated by the number of lines of ???; you can also guess what a weapons damage range by looking at the number of digits the ??? represent). Finally in Infernal, anything that isn't S or A rank, glowing yellow or blue, and have 7+ modifiers , isn't worth your time so you can just eyeball through your loot and then mash triangle at the end to sell the rest off.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

With an amazon, I can parry fairly easily but a lot of times there is just too much crap on the screen, how am i supposed to play her?

When there is a mob of enemies try to keep moving with the dodge spin attack; basically whenever any enemy is facing you dodge away from/behind them, hitting anything you can to build up berserk.

Once you are in berserk you move and attack so fast you can start powering through most enemies with melee attacks, killing them before they can hit you. Her regular attack chains can also finish with the spin move that has invincibility which is really handy.

The challenge comes from just not getting hit and dropping your axe before getting berserk going.

edit: dodge is not spelled "doge", too much time in the meme thread.

p.crestmont fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 12, 2013

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
(Beaten. Never mind.)

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
How badly does the Vita version slow down during heavy action? Has it gotten better with patches?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
REALLY heavy action still has slowdown, but it's not often. Speaking of patches did the latest patch hit the EU/US yet?

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
I'm playing an US version on an EU connection, and every time I play online after 5 minutes the connection is dropped - permanently. Meaning I cannot just restart online mode- I can't even exit and re-enter the game, or use the browser or PSN store. Basically it kills my online dead until I switch the console off and on completely.

I'm sure this has some horrible technical reasons like NAT type, modem type or whatever the gently caress, but I have no idea. :(
Did anyone ever experience the same problem?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
If I could strum a lute I would, it's the

:smaug: Weekly Dragon's Crown Comics Update! :smaug:

A Newbie Adventurer's Picture Diary
Chapter 11- The Elf and whipping it

Sorry! Amazon-chan
Chapter 7- Help

Read the past hijinks here!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

REALLY heavy action still has slowdown, but it's not often. Speaking of patches did the latest patch hit the EU/US yet?

I just checked the NA Vita version, and the update is now available:

quote:

A new version of the application is available.

Version 1.04(6979KB)

* Gameplay stability has been stabilized under certain conditions.
* Cross-Play capability has been added to allow matching of online games between users of the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita versions of Dragon's Crown for both cooperative and Versus play.
* An option to Lock items to prevent them from being accidentally sold or deleted has been added.
* An option has been added to Game Options 2 to allow or disable NPC joining.
* Other tuning and minor improvements to various gameplay elements have been made.

Please refer to the official website for details.

Also, the $10 off sale on Dragon's Crown in the NA region is still going on.
PS3 version $39.99
Vita version $29.99

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
I picked up a vita along with dragon's crown as well as muramasa. I love vanillaware's games.

The slowdown happens when spells are cast. The game slows down to the speed that is much like what happens after defeating a boss. If you have more than one spellcaster, frames get skipped and it gets choppy.

The vita is a seriously underpowered system. Hopefully the PS4 will have this game available via its streaming service in the future.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

yellowcar posted:

When you're starting out, anything C and below is garbage; it's not even worth appraising. Once you get in the Hard difficulty level, you're gonna want to start getting ignoring things that are B rank and lower and that have less than 4-5 modifiers on them (indicated by the number of lines of ???; you can also guess what a weapons damage range by looking at the number of digits the ??? represent). Finally in Infernal, anything that isn't S or A rank, glowing yellow or blue, and have 7+ modifiers , isn't worth your time so you can just eyeball through your loot and then mash triangle at the end to sell the rest off.

What do the ranks mean? I have C ranked equipment that seems "stronger" than S ranked equipment both in terms of attack/defense values and # of modifiers. Also what does glowing mean

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

What do the ranks mean? I have C ranked equipment that seems "stronger" than S ranked equipment both in terms of attack/defense values and # of modifiers. Also what does glowing mean

Is the C ranked equipment around the same level requirement as the S ranked? And are the modifiers comparably useful?

I think attack/defense seems to be mostly determined by level requirement of the item, with rank being determined by number and quality of modifiers (which usually deal in percentages, except regarding HP).

Also, not sure what the glowing means exactly, it just seems to signify "especially good" items you'll be using for many levels.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

It's perfectly possible for a C-ranked item to be stronger than a higher-ranked item, although that chance goes down the higher level the item is. The glowing items have more modifiers on them. You can tell how many modifiers an item has before you appraise it by how many rows of question marks it has. You can also tell the general damage range by the amount of question marks in the damage field. A weapon that does 3-13 damage would be "?-??," for example. The amount of modifiers and the damage range should be what you're actually looking at when deciding whether to appraise something.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Also keep in mind the C ranked and lower grade weapons have a lower minimum damage stat to a comparable S rank weapon. Though a C rank may do more maximum damage than an S rank, it's shittier because it has a higher chance to do less damage per hit on average. I would certainly take a 190-200 damage weapon over a 90-210 one.

Also there are very special modifiers that spawn only on glowing S/A rank weapons. Like X% chance of throw explosions on dwarf hammers for example.

Has anyone tried cross play yet? Can you tell if you're playing with a Vita person during a session? A buddy of mine has a Vita but no PS3 and is contemplating getting DC.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
A friend, who runs the PS3 version, joined my game (on vita) without any issue. I couldn't tell that what system they were using. It's all seamless.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Is it just me or is it very easy to forget you have certain skills? Like it seems like a no-brainer but after an elf playthrough playing Fighter was awkward because I kept forgetting I could block. Same goes with Dwarf, except its remembering to apply Pump Up and that I have Eagle Dive.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
I forget to block, then they knock my sword out of my hand.:gonk:

Then I think of how great the dwarf is.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
The stores in this game are loving great. One lone screen full of products you don't want and no way to change them out without going into a dungeon. :downsbravo:

Haven't RPGs like Nippon Ichi's had features for years now where you could ask the stores to stock more of specific items? I've got almost ten million gold and not a single drat thing worth spending it on.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

The stores in this game are loving great. One lone screen full of products you don't want and no way to change them out without going into a dungeon. :downsbravo:

Haven't RPGs like Nippon Ichi's had features for years now where you could ask the stores to stock more of specific items? I've got almost ten million gold and not a single drat thing worth spending it on.

Does it really matter that much? I mean I think you can just go into the gate and exit out if immediately if its that bad. Plus honestly? Aside from Strong Draughts, Emergency/Miracle rings, repairs and bags, what do you even need to buy? If weapons and armor were sold and obtained like it was in those other RPGs itd be a much more significant problem.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Unknown Quantity posted:

Does it really matter that much? I mean I think you can just go into the gate and exit out if immediately if its that bad.

Doing that five or six times in a row gets old fast. Trust me.

quote:

Plus honestly? Aside from Strong Draughts, Emergency/Miracle rings, repairs and bags, what do you even need to buy?

Well, I don't actually need them, but I'd like to buy some more Vortex Scrolls and Glacial Rings, since those are two of the best attack items in the game. And what's funny is that I used to see them for sale all the time - until I realized their usefulness and really started buying them.

Cue long stretches of nothing but basic poison rings and Blizzard Scrolls with about four charges each.

EmperorFritoBandito fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 19, 2013

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Do we know the numbers in the game work? I cant seem to be able to find a damage formula anywhere

Specifically:
  • No idea whether +STR or +% damage dealt will have a greater effect
  • Is "+x% damage dealt" strictly superior to "+x% to enemy type" or is one additive vs. multiplicative?
  • Are there diminishing returns or some kind of cap to stacking "damage taken" items?
  • For +damage to airborne, what qualifies for the bonus? any flier? any ground thing that i've launched? bosses that have a body but their only hitbox is a head suspended above the ground?
  • There's +% chance to ignore armor, are enemy armor ratings known (and how they interact with the damage formula)?

e: yes i am a :goonsay: minmaxer

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 21, 2013

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Do we know the numbers in the game work? I cant seem to be able to find a damage formula anywhere

Specifically:
  • No idea whether +STR or +% damage dealt will have a greater effect
  • Is "+x% damage dealt" strictly superior to "+x% to enemy type" or is one additive vs. multiplicative?
  • Are there diminishing returns or some kind of cap to stacking "damage taken" items?
  • For +damage to airborne, what qualifies for the bonus? any flier? any ground thing that i've launched? bosses that have a body but their only hitbox is a head suspended above the ground?
  • There's +% chance to ignore armor, are enemy armor ratings known (and how they interact with the damage formula)?

e: yes i am a :goonsay: minmaxer

No formula thus far. What's been figured out is that DEX seems to increase the minimum damage of a weapon to shorten the gap between it and maximum, +% Damage Done is the only weapon quality that sticks around even after using a Power Smash and that there's no known limit to the cooking minigame's cumulative bonuses. You're asking for someone to dig through ps3/vita code, which is a great deal more difficult than 360/PC code. It's gonna take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Screw saving the princess, it's your

:smaug:Weekly Dragon's Crown comics update!:smaug:

A Newbie Adventurer's Picture Diary
Chapter 12- The Elf and rockin' out

Sorry, Amazon-chan!
On Hiatus this week

Get all back issues here!