Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

looks like some decent poo poo out there just bopping around, i wonder what i can do now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
awwwww yisss its happening

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the weekly parts order:

these are US sellers so they'll get here fast.

type 43 and 61 are for all sorts of poo poo but the big thing is that they still have some performance up around vhf and low uhf
the yellow ones are iron powder, you don't want to use those for high freqs, but they make very high value inductors and are still good for a lot of HF stuff

wasn't exactly sure what to get so I googled qrp circuits and vhf preamps and studied what they were using for transformers and poo poo

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tested for Technician in Dayton yesterday :toot:

Guess I better catch up on this thread!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every time a noob gets their ticket an old grumpy dude in aurora, co feels very happy and excited and pulls the noose off his neck for another day.

Congratulations!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

an old grumpy dude in aurora, co

its you!

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

AMSAT Vice President-Engineering Jerry Buxton, N0JY, said that its planned geosynchronous satellite will offer uplinks on 5 GHz and downlinks on 10 GHz.

Buxton explained that the geosynchronous footprint will not be absolutely fixed; some variation may require some up/down movement of the user's dish at certain times — although not continuously. He said AMSAT is working on this issue in terms of what to recommend for ground stations, but that even in the worst case, a user with a fixed antenna would still be able to enjoy several hours of access each day.

The transponder for the new satellite will be software defined and capable of supporting many different modes, including analog SSB.

AMSAT announced in late April that, if all goes according to plan, an Amateur Radio payload will go into space on a geosynchronous satellite that’s planned for launch in 2017. The satellite’s potential footprint could extend over the US from the Mid-Pacific to Africa. AMSAT has accepted the opportunity to be a “hosted payload” on a spacecraft that Millennium Space Systems (MSS) of El Segundo, California, is under contract to design, launch, and operate for the US government. The Amateur Radio payload must be delivered for testing and integration by next spring.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ok so i made the necessary cable to hook back up to my powersupply - so i can just leave this packet station on 24/7 when im not using the radio for other stuff

see if anyone ever actually connects to my node

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I get to make some cables this week. I guess I'm gonna make an inline power pole thing for that noise filter I bought. I'm assuming just having the ground connection go to the negative battery terminal is ok. I hope.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
powerpoles rule everything around me

i have them on every loving thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

ok so i made the necessary cable to hook back up to my powersupply - so i can just leave this packet station on 24/7 when im not using the radio for other stuff

see if anyone ever actually connects to my node

yes. unattended automated stations are legal above 28.0 mhz assuming you are IDing (which you are)

--

just got back from the first meetup with the prepper group. the topic this week was the broadband hamnet mesh networking thing and i stole the show because a: i innately know the whole linksys hacking scene and b: i worked for motorola for 3 years and i know my fuckin' 2.4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idk after thinking about it, i am not sure i wanna jump in with this group on the whole mesh network thing

they want to use http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

which looks cool and all till you realize that it was developed in fuckin' flat texas
100 mw of whatever will get you across town if you can get an antenna up 30 feet
bbhm is notorious for making GBS threads the bed when some links go down and a lot of traffic is poppin'. it is nothing more than hacked router firmware with OLSR on top, which is pretty bleh

so given that and the fact that :

these guys dont have any apps or ideas for usage. "anything the internet can do!" is really vague. thats not really true. he showed off a webcam. oo
they dont realize that its not like 2 meters where you can bullshit it with a rubber duck inside. you HAVE to get line of sight above the trees and then some. none of these dudes are actually going to get an antenna 30 feet + off the rooftop
theyre all loving around with hacked linksys routers with 80 mw output and a couple dudes have ubnt bullets which are better but still

these guys dont have many _resources_. i ballparked what you would need for a good omnidirectional site and they are thinking:

--raspberry pi 30
--ubnt bullet m2 80
--this "11 dbi" chinese omni antenna 25
--cheap poe injector and best buy cat5 20

when in reality it should look like:

--3x ubnt bullet m2 hp $300
--3x 120 deg sector antenna $300
--2x ubnt nanobridge m9's (path loss way lower at 900mhz) at minimum for 2 backhauls $350
--fast-ish router (mikrotik or similar) $150
--shielded cat5 runs, crimper, connectors $200
--proper POE switch $100
--weatherproofing, incidentals, connectors, etc etc $100+

this is if you want to stick with the broadband hamnet poo poo

check out hamwan, the project out in seattle which has much more hilly terrain than loving texas

https://www.hamwan.org/t/Wiki+Home+Page

they do that poo poo RIGHT

anyways enough ranting i'm gonna help a guy flash his ap, see if i can maybe convince these goobers to turn this into a "make a wifi go-box" project to mesh up for meetups and gatherings, rather than trying to build a loving amateur wifi infrastructure across the front god drat range

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jonny 290 posted:

they want to use http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

which looks cool and all till you realize that it was developed in fuckin' flat texas
100 mw of whatever will get you across town if you can get an antenna up 30 feet

in it voted 5 (god bless Texas)

none of the old farts around me had interest in it

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 18, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idk, like, i'm not particularly interested in slapping up $300 of hardware just so a dude can look at his chicken house (a srs suggestion)

lets get some videoconf stuff going on, what about remote SDR feeds? you can poo poo RTL streams straight down any tcp pipe. imagine if we had one of these hamnet nodes with a couple SDR sticks up on mountaintops that people could tune into with their laptop at home

how about this you pitch a backbone network on a severe weather/public service angle with several sites, each with 360 pan/zoom cameras, weather stations and a handful of sdr sticks multicoupled to a discone
that way you have some poo poo to actually look at and play with rather than just setting up a literal city wide WISP that you cant show titty pictures on, some hospital or building manager can sign off on the space donation as charity and you have the support of the community

like they were talking about sharing movies and poo poo, are you loving serious

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 18, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
#weedpunk

pa0rdt miniwhip in a jar from the Colorado Store

i'm trying a 2n3819 instead of a j301 or whatever, its a somewhat similar jfet best i can tell

perfect ~15 ma draw so far. building the power injector now

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 19, 2015

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

gently caress

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

#weedpunk

i'm trying a 2n3819 instead of a j301 or whatever, its a somewhat similar jfet best i can tell

jesus christ (your real name) you loving own me on effort every step of the way

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

#weedpunk

that's the utwente one right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

jesus christ (your real name) you loving own me on effort every step of the way

James, it's James.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

that's the utwente one right?

yah

So, I plug this fucker in indoors, hear an increase in noise, tune around, couple of AM broadcast.

Stick out 10 feet up on a stick outside

Tune to 15 mhz cause i was on 20 meters on the other vfo, see if I can pull wwv.

Nope.
But i've got WWVH at s9+

holy poo poo it works

sniep I am building you one of these and we're going to stick it out on the back deck on a PVC 10-footer or something and you are going to :O

these things are solid all the way through the bottom of the AM broadcast band (i pulled a road conditions station on 530 khz)

holy poo poo

with a freaking 5x10cm piece of copper for an antenna. what

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 19, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

with a freaking 5x10cm piece of copper for an antenna. what

Radios is rocks with waves inside

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what the gently caress i'm copying a beacon repeating FN FN FN on 400 khz

this antenna WORKS, SON

e: hahaha FN beacon out of fort collins. coooool
e2: and CO beacon on 406 khz out of colorado springs

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 19, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What's the goto antenna upgrade for the 2m/70cm baofeng handsets? I can't pick up anything but the 162.4mhz noaa station.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
one of those nagoyas, but a rubber duck is not a very good antenna.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah the nagoya na-771 or 773 or whatever. The longest one will work best, think its around 18". I have the ~10" one on my scanner and it is very good for that purpose. Don't get the little stubby ducks ever

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i like my smiley and will defend it until i find something better.

http://www.smileyantenna.com/collections/dual-band/products/270a-dual-band

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

i like my smiley and will defend it until i find something better.

http://www.smileyantenna.com/collections/dual-band/products/270a-dual-band

no yeah these are really good and I got a lil jealous of yours

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have an RH-771, i think a clone but the clones are as good as the real ones
and an SRH805s which is a tiny antenna that's really useful for making your baofeng pocketable but I haven't used it to talk to the local guys yet because I'm not licensed yet

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Thanks ordered a na-771 through amazon, should have it tomorrow. :dance:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
so that $6 noise filter works perfect and I actually don't have the ground hooked up to anything. do I need to ground it anyway?

also yeah I need a ferrite on my 3.5mm tape adapter thing Real Bad

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

#weedpunk

i looked up the circuit and it looks really loving simple

maybe i'll build one when i get to albuquerque

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah there's not much to it. fun facts the $3 transistor is nothing but a signal buffer, the real gain is in the $0.10 JFET lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
is there any way to make a version of the thing that works at VHF and UHF? I read somewhere that the limiting factor was the JFET but my antenna thinking skills are rusty

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the 2n5109 would probably be good through 400+ mhz but youd need a pretty juicy jfet for vhf/uhf i think.

if you guys want to go that direction we can gently caress around with a MMIC preamp. longview chime in here

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that antenna is useless for RTL-SDR even with Ham It Up, right?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

that antenna is useless for RTL-SDR even with Ham It Up, right?

rtl sdr doesn't get close to that frequency range

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Well, it's a broadband amp and i'll put it this way, 850 KOA is S9+40 with the attenuator on with this. With it off the needle is literally pinned - I have never seen a signal this strong on this icom ever.

so you have a pretty good chance of overloading the upconverter just via sheer AM broadcast power. this may cause some desense or images

I would probably consider a Miniwhip + ham it up + sdr to be a very *good* combo IF IF IF you add some filtering. A simple broadcast band high pass filter would suffice most likely.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
doesn't the rtl sdr only go down to like 50 MHz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah he's got one of those ham it ups though that upconverts HF-50 to 125-175

• Locked thread